New member here.

Great post VanGundy. Speaking of Van Gundy... I'm not a D'Antoni hater, I love his offensive IQ & hate his defensive focus. I give him an overall C+/B- as a coach. I'm not willing to throw Antoni under the bus though. Not when (before the trade) we had 4 of 5 starters who weren't with the Knicks last year (Felton, Fields, Amare & Mozgov). After the trade? Billups, Fields, Melo, Amare & Turiaf make for a starting 5 thats been together for only 6 games. Our defense has shown flashes of greatness against Miami, Hornets & ORL (until the 4th), but we haven't been consistant on D'. Lets not act like it's D'Antoni's fault that we have no Center. Give us Gasol, DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert during the offseason & watch our defense improve by leaps & bounds under MIKE D. With all that said, I love the potential of our offense & love the thought of Van Gundy defense. I'd love Gundy here. But then again, Fields is not Starks. Amare is not Ewing. Turiaf & Jeffries are not Oakley & Mason. We may never see D like that again.

Your absoultey correct sir but look at thom thibs with the bulls even there offensive is sketchy at best he install a tough nosed defense that even carlos boozer a even worse defender than amare look good. Toms thibs is a van gundy product ...i feel like if mike d was so stubborn and fire phil weber and hire a defensive minded coach we wouldn't lose game we have no business losing. I know its on the players to play defensive but if only if the coach installs those concepts. switch everything is not going to work its only favorable to the opposition so they can find a mismatch favorable to them . If these basic concepts are only being taught i put that on the coach. Look at doc rivers he was only known as an o minded coach as well but he was smart enough to hire a d minded assistant d wins championships offense just puts butts in the seats and make for great sportcenter highlights. I just want consistancy and for mike to put his ego to the side

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
I'm not ready to throw MDA under the bus either, but while we're on the topic of other coaches, what about Flip Saunders? He took Detroit to 3 straight ECF's (two of the losses were to the eventual chip winners) and he already has a good understanding with Billups. I'm sure we would be a more attractive team for him than the Wizards!

I say we keep D'Antoni as our coach. The man never won a championship, but the Suns were a top 3 power house team out of the EXTREMELY tough Western Conf for many of years.

This is the first year he's had talent to work with, & the Knicks are now in position to strike for a playoff birth with one of the most productive O's in the game (with no center & rookie 2G)

I love the potential & production of this offense already as is under MDA. I'm not willing to lose that. The key is this. Find a great defensive assistant to work with the defense during practices. During the games? coach us up. Would Van Gundy ever become our assistant coach? Maybe not. But if he loved the Knicks enough he would. Van Gundy or no Van Gundy... If we can land a BIG this offseason, landing a strong defensive assistant would help us become a top 10 defense. Not top 5, but top 10.

Allow D'Antoni to work on the offense & continue to grow as an offensive force/unit. Allow our future defensive assistant to fucus on NOTHING but defense.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Another Knicks fan from the UK here :gony:

I'm from Liverpool, starting watching the knicks a few months ago. Started following them as they remind me of my football team Everton, not long ago we were absolutely awful, one of the worst and now we're hopefully making our way back to the top! (although this season Everton have been shocking..)

Ahh, but you've got Tim Howard and he say's &!%* you! One of the funniest supporter songs ever.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Are you referring to me? If you are, you have to understand that I'm sarcastic a lot of times so don't take everything I say seriously. I just realized that his forum as emoticons so I'm going to use them to indicate when I'm being serious and when I'm not. :thumbsup:

And no I wasn't taking a shot at you, didn't think you were being a dick, I was just pointing out that if he became a Knick fan before the trade he'll practically be a vet balling in these rookies (sorry cube) compared to alot of the new recruits this site will see