D'Antoni's changing his mindset

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
I know that D'Antoni can adjust his offense...it's not like we were running SSOL with Chris Duhon as our point guard, or anything like that...

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
...Unless my memory is sorely mistaken, I distinctly remember us using the half-court offense much more often in D'Antoni's second year

MusketeerX

Rotation player
...Unless my memory is sorely mistaken, I distinctly remember us using the half-court offense much more often in D'Antoni's second year

Depending on your source, they averaged about 94 or 95 possessions per game last year, good for sixth in the NBA according to BasketballReference.com.

In 2008 they were second in the league.
Pace: 96.7 (2nd of 30)

In 2009
Pace: 98 (8th of 30)

With that being said, since Melo has joined the team, they are still moving at a quick pace. I think if he can find a balance between the SSOL and more iso sets, the resulting offense may be better than either one on their own.

*I got the "sixth in the NBA" from a different website that directed me to the BBall Reference site... They were top 10 both years, and second in 2008. Both were really quick.

I say keep our offensive attack pretty much the same. Slow it down a little with Billups running more of a half court set, but continue to push the rock & apply non stop pressure against opposing D's. Defense needs to become our #1 focus.

We've improved on D' since the trade. Before the trade we only allowed 90 pts or fewer two times. Since the trade, we've done it twice in only 5 games; holding both MIA & NOH under 90. Now it's time to become more consistant. I miss NY's defense of the 90's. If Carmelo, Amare & D'Antoni all buy into the defensive aspects of the game, heading into the playoffs; we could make a lot of noise out of the East.

The defensive potential is here. We just have to fight for it. Holding teams under 90-95 must become our teams goal on a nightly basis. Play with energy & defensive intensity for 48 minutes strong. Focus on boxing out, rebounding, fighting for lose balls & potential steals, take the charge, force the turn over; & it's off to the races on the fast break.

Buy into it NY.

Red

TYPE-A
Encouraging article for us "D'Antoni haters." Also helps to show our fears of the coach were not unwarranted. Apparently he is changing his playbook and ideaology. I commend him from moving away from a style he has so rigidly adhered too all these years.

The article explains how with different players he is needing to adjust his offense.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/sports/basketball/04knicks.xml

Props to coach for adjusting.

This should translate to having more stamina down the stretch for defensive stops.

Knicks Moving Away From SSoL
Mar 03, 2011 11:58 PM EST

With the Knicks personnel no longer ideally suited for Mike D'Antonio's 'Seven Seconds or Less' system, he is adjusting his playbook.

?Probably,? D?Antoni said Thursday when asked if this is the biggest adjustment he has had to make as a head coach since 2004. ?Really, there?s all kinds of different ways you can play it, and we?re going to try to maximize just what the players do.?

Carmelo Anthony's skills are perhaps an antithesis to D'Antoni's ball-and-player movement philosophy.

?We?re always going to be a little bit of an iso, one-on-one kind of a team, which, to be honest with you, is pretty good,? D?Antoni said.

While D'Antoni is willing to adapt, he doesn't want to abandon his identity.

?I think we?ll meet some place halfway in between,? he said Thursday, ?because we don?t want to lose what Melo and those guys do the best. A lot of it is going one-on-one. They?re the best in the league at it."

Anthony spent several summers with D?Antoni on the United States national team, which essentially ran D?Antoni?s system.

?It?s kind of hard to double-team guys in this offensive set that we run,? Anthony said. ?I like it, and it?s only going to get better.?

D'Antoni is simply being pragmatic with his offensive adjustments.

?I think we?ll all make adjustments and we?ll all make sacrifices,? D?Antoni said, ?and the end product should be: This is the best we can play. Whatever that is, we?ll do.?

Next, after we add another quality big over the summer, coach needs to incorporate a more solid defensive strategy more condusive to our players.

KBlack25

Starter
I think SSOL as a "system" is a misnomer...I think it is more of a "mindset". But with Billups I think we can successfully run more plays off of movement and screens, while still pushing for transition buckets.

iSaYughh

Starter
I think SSOL as a "system" is a misnomer...I think it is more of a "mindset". But with Billups I think we can successfully run more plays off of movement and screens, while still pushing for transition buckets.

+1, extremely good point. Mindset, theory, etc. Its not nearly rigid enough, or defined enough, to really be a system.

SSOL and a methodical team of offensively limited defensive wizards and plodding bigs, isn't mutually exclusive.

But ya...Billups and Melo, both quality players, both with games that aren't prototypical fits with D'ants PHO system, nor the one recently being used by us.

Of course he will maximize their games within his system, by continuing to mold and redefine the said system.

It's basic pragmatism. And wanting to win.

Notably different, however, from restructuring a system for short-term jigronies and hacks, just because.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Props to coach for adjusting.

This should translate to having more stamina down the stretch for defensive stops.

Next, after we add another quality big over the summer, coach needs to incorporate a more solid defensive strategy more condusive to our players.

Yep. Hats off to him. I'd always had qualms with the imbalance at either end and there being little to no post offence.

That quality big is still shrouded in ambiguity. Interesting times ahead right there.

So do I. I'm still far from a proponent of giving away as much as we did in the Denver trade, but I'm not naive enough to be blind to its benefactors. I think we can come out of this post-season with some impressive scalps if D'Antoni and our players find a common ground in time for them.

I don't remember being this excited or anxious as a Knick fan for almost 12 years.

God I'm an old c*nt.

KBlack25

Starter
Crazy⑧s;164335 said:
So do I. I'm still far from a proponent of giving away as much as we did in the Denver trade, but I'm not naive enough to be blind to its benefactors. I think we can come out of this post-season with some impressive scalps if D'Antoni and our players find a common ground in time for them.

I don't remember being this excited or anxious as a Knick fan for almost 12 years.

God I'm an old c*nt.

Here's how I know we gave up too much:

Denver insisted on Mozgov. Mozgov has yet to play meaningful minutes in Denver. Why would they insist upon a guy (and say that was the sticking point of the deal) and then not play him, unless they were trying to gouge us as badly as possible?

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Mike D'Antoni's SSOL system came out of necessity more than philosophy. While he does prefer an up tempo offence because he wants to prevent the defence from getting time to set and to force mismatches; he would like to run play sets over just chucking the ball. When he took the Phoenix job he was faced with the challenge of a very small lineup and an over abundance of 2/3 and 3/4 type players. So, he move STAT to the 5 and Marion to the 4 and spread out the offence. If you remember, when he took over the Knicks roster he moved Zack to the 5 and Lee to the 4... That was working for us but they (D'Antoni and Walsh) knew that lineup had no sustainability over the long run. So, it doesn't surprise me that he is changing gears and moving away from chucking shots and into more constructive offensive play sets.... Especially since he has an extremely smart PG in Billups! That is the 1 ingredient that Miami is missing although James can distribute the ball effectively. The challenge now will be too get a 5 that can run, has fluidity and can board... Along with a 1 that can take over the reigns once Billups is done. I say go after Tyson Chandler this offseason, if you don't think you can land Howard in 2012, and continue to develop Tony Douglas and if by the summer of 2012 you don't think he can take over the starting 1.... Go after CP3 or Williams and see if they are willing to sign for what the Knicks have left to offer... I think CP3 will over Williams but that would be left to be seen. With a complete line-up you will see that Mike D'Antoni is a very good coach and will be able to take us to the finals.

nuckles2k2

Superstar

Denver insisted on Mozgov. Mozgov has yet to play meaningful minutes in Denver. Why would they insist upon a guy (and say that was the sticking point of the deal) and then not play him, unless they were trying to gouge us as badly as possible?

Because they have Nene and Birdman? One of which will probably not be there next season, so Mosgov is a good young project that they can keep around.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru

Don't forget, NJ was playing both teams against each other... There was the rumors that Denver and NJ had a side deal where Mozgov and Gallinari goes to NJ for draft picks.... NJ was the sinister team here IMHO!

Toons

is the Bo$$
"We all know it's no secret that defense is going to be the key, and rebounding," coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Jared came in and did a nice job. He can show up defensively, and we can get better with him."

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer

I remember New Jersey telling Denver they will give them two 1st round picks for Moz and one of the other 3 players we traded, basiclly making Denver hold on the trade unless Moz was thrown in.

Obviously that trade with the Nets and Nuggets never happened and probably was just a way to get the Knicks to give up more in the Melo trade. Sucks we didnt hold onto Moz as we need size, but who knows if the deal would of happened had we insisted on keeping him in the end.

KBlack25

Starter
I remember New Jersey telling Denver they will give them two 1st round picks for Moz and one of the other 3 players we traded, basiclly making Denver hold on the trade unless Moz was thrown in.

Obviously that trade with the Nets and Nuggets never happened and probably was just a way to get the Knicks to give up more in the Melo trade. Sucks we didnt hold onto Moz as we need size, but who knows if the deal would of happened had we insisted on keeping him in the end.

I do not believe that Mozgov would have "held the deal up" as Denver was openly claiming at the end of the day.

moneyg

Starter
Encouraging article for us "D'Antoni haters." Also helps to show our fears of the coach were not unwarranted. Apparently he is changing his playbook and ideaology. I commend him from moving away from a style he has so rigidly adhered too all these years.

The article explains how with different players he is needing to adjust his offense.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/03/04/sports/basketball/04knicks.xml

this is very good....just what i expected to hear...this has always been my problem with O'antoni.. his stubborness and unwillingness to adjust....

i think he realize two things....the current players make more of an impact on the organization than him...and Dolan would have no problem cutting him a check with only one year left on his contract after this season and send him packing..

i tell you one thing.. if this is his first year with lesser players.. he would still be stubborn...

he is finally admitting.... that his past strategy.. wont be successful.. exactly what i said all along...

this is very good....just what i expected to hear...this has always been my problem with O'antoni.. his stubborness and unwillingness to adjust....

i think he realize two things....the current players make more of an impact on the organization than him...and Dolan would have no problem cutting him a check with only one year left on his contract after this season and send him packing..

i tell you one thing.. if this is his first year with lesser players.. he would still be stubborn...

he is finally admitting.... that his past strategy.. wont be successful.. exactly what i said all along...

It takes a strong man to admit his flaws. Kudos to MDA. Just stick with it and we may be able to make more noise in the playoffs than anticipated.

Checked the remaining schedule today and 19 wins isnt impossible. Difficult but not impossible...

MusketeerX

Rotation player
It takes a strong man to admit his flaws. Kudos to MDA. Just stick with it and we may be able to make more noise in the playoffs than anticipated.

Checked the remaining schedule today and 19 wins isnt impossible. Difficult but not impossible...

If we could get to 50 wins, that would be astounding... Wow. A 50 win team again. That would thrilling.