Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Brewer getting a 3 year deal mean we definitely made a mistake?

Too bad we didn't have Brewer to guard Baron Davis on that last dagger shot. Jeffries gave him way too much room, a big shot maker like Baron's gonna make that shot everytime. If he's not gonna play suffocating defense then he has no purpose out on the floor at all.

Man, this is horrible. These guys dont respect us at all. Pat Riley would have told Oak and Mas to handle that situation. Who is MDA going to tell? Jeffries? Shawn Williams? We are entirely to soft and to small right now...

Originally Posted by STAT1
    Too bad we didn't have Brewer to guard Baron Davis on that last dagger shot. Jeffries gave him way too much room, a big shot maker like Baron's gonna make that shot everytime. If he's not gonna play suffocating defense then he has no purpose out on the floor at all.
    Yea we needed something. I'm not sure Brewer even helps. The Cavs play very loose when they see us on the other side of the court. I understand they have nothing to lose, but we gotta make these cats pay blood, sweat and tears next time we see them...

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

In my eyes, DerekHarper explained the Brewer situation perfectly, as did Sons of Thunder.

If the Knicks really did buy out Brewer's contract, for much less than what we would have paid him this year, it's a great move in terms of moving forward into next years offseason & maybe even 2012's. I'm not saying that this year isn't important - because it is, but we're still a couple pieces away (C) from winning a championship unless we get hot as hot can be during the playoffs. With Fields & Melo @ SG/SF, Brewer would have faced limited minutes. I also have high hopes that Fields can turn into a great hustle defender. Thats what I miss most from Starks @ the 2G position; the ability to clamp down on D.

Walsh has a plan. He got us out of cap hell, landed us two elite superstars, a great veteran leader @ the PG position, drafted the most productive Knicks rookie in Fields since god knows when & is currently working on another plan as of right now. The best of the Walsh plan & the Knicks future has yet to come.

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    WOW? Shocked he was signed for a long term deal. I'm not going to pretend I saw a lot of this kid, but he must have plenty to offer. I hope this guy Brown is a surprise...
    Absolutely not, we cut this kid as a favor because he wasn't going to get any playing time here anyway. And also the fact that Walsh couldn't give him a long term deal because we need the cap space with the new CBA.

Banned

Speaking of a new CBA... Does anyone know the latest rumors on what the cap is expected to get reduced to? I've read a couple reports saying 42 million but I'm not buying it. That would ruin the NBA as we once knew it.

Cap is set at 58. Just say the cap is reduced to 52... How much cap space would NY have heading into the offseason with a cap set @ 52?

Had the Knicks held on to Brewer they would be 6-0 since the 3 team deal.Brewer just made the Mavericks favorites to win at least back to back titles.The team that is going to be hurt the most in the years to come are the Knicks.
    Last edited by knicksin60; Mar 05, 2011 at 18:12.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Speaking of a new CBA... Does anyone know the latest rumors on what the cap is expected to get reduced to? I've read a couple reports saying 42 million but I'm not buying it. That would ruin the NBA as we once knew it.

Cap is set at 58. Just say the cap is reduced to 52... How much cap space would NY have heading into the offseason with a cap set @ 52?

if we keep billups...none.. if we got rid of billups.. about 7 mil

in that situation.. i think its best to keep billups and sign a mid level player... if there is a MLE.. which i think it will be...it may be reduced to 4 mil though

Banned

Billups is off the books after next year. I want Billups with us no matter what next year. Add a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert and we're in business.

If we don't go crazy spending wise this offseason, once Billups & Turi are gone after next season; how much cap space are we looking @ heading into 2012's free agency?

Veteran

Originally Posted by knicksin60
    Had the Knicks held on to Brewer they would be 6-0 since the 3 team deal.Brewer just made the Mavericks favorites to win at least back to back titles.The team that is going to be hurt the most in the years to come are the Knicks.
    I bet if kept brewer he would win MVP for the league and marry sarah palin

Banned

6-0 with Brewer? Nice to know. Since when did Brewer become the next coming of Air 23 Jordan? I wanna be like Mike? What about the saying I wanna be like Brewer? You know how that goes...

Who needs an asset like Brewer (which other teams want)... when you can have a scrub like Jeffries on your roster.

Veteran

Originally Posted by mafra
    Who needs an asset like Brewer (which other teams want)... when you can have a scrub like Jeffries on your roster.
    Jeffires is quite the intimidator at 160 pounds

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    The mistake was not getting s**t out of the deal with MN. Why did we give up Moz and Koufos to Denver, why didn't Walsh insist on getting Koufos instead of Brewer to make up for sending Moz to them.

I am sure that Brewer had some idea that Dallas wanted to sign him to a multi-year deal and that is why he got his buyout from Walsh, probably bought him out for peanuts because he knew he was going to sign with them.
    Brewer would of been a restricted free agent next season. The only reason he signed a multi-year contract with Dallas was the fact he no longer had a contract because we bought his out. This move was a monumental mistake. We traded AR and Curry +3M for him and Koufos and got nothing in return. You guys have to know that Koufos wouldn't of been a deal breaker in getting Melo. Minnesota just included Koufos to make the cap work after taking in AR and Curry's Mega Contract. IMO Walsh knew Antoni didn't want Brewer but he thought he'd be able to use him as a trade asset in another trade before the deadline and then that trade probably fell though.

We still should have held on to Brewer for the rest of the year. He could basically fill the same roll that Renaldo Balkman is occupying except Brewer is probably better offensively and almost definitely smokes less herb which generally translates to higher energy and more focus (in case you didn't already know that). Brewer could have been a very good perimeter defender for us off the bench which we are going to need in the playoffs; who cares if hes gone after the year. Kind of irritating that we gave up Randolph for nothing because I still think he could be a 10/10/2 block per game player if he gets consistent minutes, but getting Melo was most important.