Does Brewer getting a 3 year deal mean we definitely made a mistake?

Speaking of a new CBA... Does anyone know the latest rumors on what the cap is expected to get reduced to? I've read a couple reports saying 42 million but I'm not buying it. That would ruin the NBA as we once knew it.

Cap is set at 58. Just say the cap is reduced to 52... How much cap space would NY have heading into the offseason with a cap set @ 52?

knicksin60

Starter
Had the Knicks held on to Brewer they would be 6-0 since the 3 team deal.Brewer just made the Mavericks favorites to win at least back to back titles.The team that is going to be hurt the most in the years to come are the Knicks.

Last edited:

moneyg

Starter
Speaking of a new CBA... Does anyone know the latest rumors on what the cap is expected to get reduced to? I've read a couple reports saying 42 million but I'm not buying it. That would ruin the NBA as we once knew it.

Cap is set at 58. Just say the cap is reduced to 52... How much cap space would NY have heading into the offseason with a cap set @ 52?

if we keep billups...none.. if we got rid of billups.. about 7 mil

in that situation.. i think its best to keep billups and sign a mid level player... if there is a MLE.. which i think it will be...it may be reduced to 4 mil though

Billups is off the books after next year. I want Billups with us no matter what next year. Add a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert and we're in business.

If we don't go crazy spending wise this offseason, once Billups & Turi are gone after next season; how much cap space are we looking @ heading into 2012's free agency?

skisloper

Starter
Had the Knicks held on to Brewer they would be 6-0 since the 3 team deal.Brewer just made the Mavericks favorites to win at least back to back titles.The team that is going to be hurt the most in the years to come are the Knicks.

I bet if kept brewer he would win MVP for the league and marry sarah palin

6-0 with Brewer? Nice to know. Since when did Brewer become the next coming of Air 23 Jordan? I wanna be like Mike? What about the saying I wanna be like Brewer? You know how that goes...

mafra

Legend
Who needs an asset like Brewer (which other teams want)... when you can have a scrub like Jeffries on your roster.

KingofNy

Starter
The mistake was not getting s**t out of the deal with MN. Why did we give up Moz and Koufos to Denver, why didn't Walsh insist on getting Koufos instead of Brewer to make up for sending Moz to them.

I am sure that Brewer had some idea that Dallas wanted to sign him to a multi-year deal and that is why he got his buyout from Walsh, probably bought him out for peanuts because he knew he was going to sign with them.

Brewer would of been a restricted free agent next season. The only reason he signed a multi-year contract with Dallas was the fact he no longer had a contract because we bought his out. This move was a monumental mistake. We traded AR and Curry +3M for him and Koufos and got nothing in return. You guys have to know that Koufos wouldn't of been a deal breaker in getting Melo. Minnesota just included Koufos to make the cap work after taking in AR and Curry's Mega Contract. IMO Walsh knew Antoni didn't want Brewer but he thought he'd be able to use him as a trade asset in another trade before the deadline and then that trade probably fell though.

We still should have held on to Brewer for the rest of the year. He could basically fill the same roll that Renaldo Balkman is occupying except Brewer is probably better offensively and almost definitely smokes less herb which generally translates to higher energy and more focus (in case you didn't already know that). Brewer could have been a very good perimeter defender for us off the bench which we are going to need in the playoffs; who cares if hes gone after the year. Kind of irritating that we gave up Randolph for nothing because I still think he could be a 10/10/2 block per game player if he gets consistent minutes, but getting Melo was most important.

Osiris80

Benchwarmer
Do I really need to be the voice of reason on this thread.

The reason we didnt sign the guy is because of the fact he actually has usable skill

and Walsh is in no position to sign any body at this particular moment being that

A) new CBA

B) our money is invested in stars

C) chris paul deron williams and dwight howard

D) if we did offer brewer a contract ( which we may have ) no way his agent takes a nonsense offer for the rest of this year.

Basically it came down to he wasnt good enough to warrent big money
and isnt bad enough to accept a BS contract.

end of story

we had to let him go.

nice. rep point

that and they waived butler

6-0 with Brewer? Nice to know. Since when did Brewer become the next coming of Air 23 Jordan? I wanna be like Mike? What about the saying I wanna be like Brewer? You know how that goes...

You missed the point. Brewer isn't Jordan (who is?), but he's a great defensive player who's coming off an injury. He would have been a nice asset.

moneyg

Starter
Billups is off the books after next year. I want Billups with us no matter what next year. Add a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert and we're in business.

If we don't go crazy spending wise this offseason, once Billups & Turi are gone after next season; how much cap space are we looking @ heading into 2012's free agency?

right now we have about 41 mil on the books for 2012.... if the cap is 58 we have about 17 mil... enought for dwill,cp3 or howard....

we would have to release td 2 mil or we would be at 43 mil...

i think the key is to get a one year deal with one of the bigs.. which will be hard to do.. even if we sign a player to the mid level exception..

it will be for more than a year and will cost us 2012 cap space unless we trade that player... like what riley did with beasley.. i think we keep billups...offer dandr jordan the full MLE.. and make a run at it...and if we know that we can get a 2012 FA.. teams will be lining up to take DA off our hands..

i think that will be the best scenario for us

portega1968

El Cacique
I would've said Brewer should've probably gotten a chance.

Would've thought he may attack us tonight in Dallas and made us look bad.

But he didn't get a minute last night and chances are he's gonna also rot on that bench like he would've in NYK.

So, bottom line, I'm glad we don't have him cause I'd rather see Roger Mason, Anthony Carter and Bill Walker continue to do the little things they've done for us in the past couple of weeks instead of this future ex-NBAer and future Euroleague benchwarmer taking up space on our bench.

OK, so I learned much more about Brewer tonight. Seems he was picked 7th (a lottery pick) had 14 teams after him. 3 of the teams were Boston, Dallas & Spurs.

Knowing all this info this was a bad move. No other way to slice it.

STAT1

Starter
I would've said Brewer should've probably gotten a chance.

Would've thought he may attack us tonight in Dallas and made us look bad.

But he didn't get a minute last night and chances are he's gonna also rot on that bench like he would've in NYK.

So, bottom line, I'm glad we don't have him cause I'd rather see Roger Mason, Anthony Carter and Bill Walker continue to do the little things they've done for us in the past couple of weeks instead of this future ex-NBAer and future Euroleague benchwarmer taking up space on our bench.

you'd rather have Derrick Brown taking up a roster spot than Corey Brewer?

STAT1

Starter
Rather have Brewer than Mason...

I personally don't mind Mason at all he's been a pro since he got here, I think he deserves a little playing time when he can get it. But I do think Brewer is a much better defender than Bill Walker on most nights (unless we're playing Miami, Walker seems to play well vs. Lebron for some reason). When our team is lacking in defense, which it definitely was tonight, it might have helped to have Brewer checking Jason Terry who gave us problems all game long. I don't think Jeffries was having much luck defending him & brought very little on the interior defense either. When you're playing vs. a high octane offensive team like the Mavs it helps to have a player like Brewer to exert some energy on defense & create some turnovers. He also dished out 4 assists & grabbed 4 rebounds in 17 minutes, not a bad tally at all especially playing on a deep team like the Mavs.

We should have kept Brewer and not have signed Brown or cut Rautins instead of Brewer. Brewer is good, would have been an excellent backup for Melo in the playoffs.

moneyg

Starter
We should have kept Brewer and not have signed Brown or cut Rautins instead of Brewer. Brewer is good, would have been an excellent backup for Melo in the playoffs.

i agree... not sure who was behind this.. if it was walsh.. then he gets a neg rep point from me on this one..

i dont care about doing players a favor by releasing them.. he had a role on this team and should have gotten playing time...