Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Brewer getting a 3 year deal mean we definitely made a mistake?

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    Do I really need to be the voice of reason on this thread.

The reason we didnt sign the guy is because of the fact he actually has usable skill

and Walsh is in no position to sign any body at this particular moment being that

A) new CBA

B) our money is invested in stars

C) chris paul deron williams and dwight howard

D) if we did offer brewer a contract ( which we may have ) no way his agent takes a nonsense offer for the rest of this year.

Basically it came down to he wasnt good enough to warrent big money
    and isnt bad enough to accept a BS contract.

end of story

we had to let him go.
    nice. rep point

that and they waived butler

Banned

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    6-0 with Brewer? Nice to know. Since when did Brewer become the next coming of Air 23 Jordan? I wanna be like Mike? What about the saying I wanna be like Brewer? You know how that goes...
    You missed the point. Brewer isn't Jordan (who is?), but he's a great defensive player who's coming off an injury. He would have been a nice asset.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Billups is off the books after next year. I want Billups with us no matter what next year. Add a guy like DeAndre Jordan or Dalembert and we're in business.

If we don't go crazy spending wise this offseason, once Billups & Turi are gone after next season; how much cap space are we looking @ heading into 2012's free agency?

right now we have about 41 mil on the books for 2012.... if the cap is 58 we have about 17 mil... enought for dwill,cp3 or howard....

we would have to release td 2 mil or we would be at 43 mil...

i think the key is to get a one year deal with one of the bigs.. which will be hard to do.. even if we sign a player to the mid level exception..

it will be for more than a year and will cost us 2012 cap space unless we trade that player... like what riley did with beasley.. i think we keep billups...offer dandr jordan the full MLE.. and make a run at it...and if we know that we can get a 2012 FA.. teams will be lining up to take DA off our hands..

i think that will be the best scenario for us

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

I would've said Brewer should've probably gotten a chance.

Would've thought he may attack us tonight in Dallas and made us look bad.

But he didn't get a minute last night and chances are he's gonna also rot on that bench like he would've in NYK.

So, bottom line, I'm glad we don't have him cause I'd rather see Roger Mason, Anthony Carter and Bill Walker continue to do the little things they've done for us in the past couple of weeks instead of this future ex-NBAer and future Euroleague benchwarmer taking up space on our bench.

OK, so I learned much more about Brewer tonight. Seems he was picked 7th (a lottery pick) had 14 teams after him. 3 of the teams were Boston, Dallas & Spurs.

Knowing all this info this was a bad move. No other way to slice it.

Originally Posted by portega1968
    I would've said Brewer should've probably gotten a chance.

Would've thought he may attack us tonight in Dallas and made us look bad.

But he didn't get a minute last night and chances are he's gonna also rot on that bench like he would've in NYK.

So, bottom line, I'm glad we don't have him cause I'd rather see Roger Mason, Anthony Carter and Bill Walker continue to do the little things they've done for us in the past couple of weeks instead of this future ex-NBAer and future Euroleague benchwarmer taking up space on our bench.
    you'd rather have Derrick Brown taking up a roster spot than Corey Brewer?

Originally Posted by STAT1
    you'd rather have Derrick Brown taking up a roster spot than Corey Brewer?
    Rather have Brewer than Mason...

Originally Posted by Clyde & The Pearl
    Rather have Brewer than Mason...
    I personally don't mind Mason at all he's been a pro since he got here, I think he deserves a little playing time when he can get it. But I do think Brewer is a much better defender than Bill Walker on most nights (unless we're playing Miami, Walker seems to play well vs. Lebron for some reason). When our team is lacking in defense, which it definitely was tonight, it might have helped to have Brewer checking Jason Terry who gave us problems all game long. I don't think Jeffries was having much luck defending him & brought very little on the interior defense either. When you're playing vs. a high octane offensive team like the Mavs it helps to have a player like Brewer to exert some energy on defense & create some turnovers. He also dished out 4 assists & grabbed 4 rebounds in 17 minutes, not a bad tally at all especially playing on a deep team like the Mavs.

We should have kept Brewer and not have signed Brown or cut Rautins instead of Brewer. Brewer is good, would have been an excellent backup for Melo in the playoffs.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    We should have kept Brewer and not have signed Brown or cut Rautins instead of Brewer. Brewer is good, would have been an excellent backup for Melo in the playoffs.

i agree... not sure who was behind this.. if it was walsh.. then he gets a neg rep point from me on this one..

i dont care about doing players a favor by releasing them.. he had a role on this team and should have gotten playing time...

River Rocks, Port Rich (Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico PUNETA!!!)

It seems ya'll didn't hear last night when it was explained that Brewer's agent asked the Knicks to buy him out cause the guy wanted to play elsewhere. He's basically anti-Knick and I'm glad he's not here.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by portega1968
    It seems ya'll didn't hear last night when it was explained that Brewer's agent asked the Knicks to buy him out cause the guy wanted to play elsewhere. He's basically anti-Knick and I'm glad he's not here.

and billups wanted to stay in denver too.... so i guess we should just buy him out too

Superstar

Just read an article that Brewer said he was really excited to come to NY, but it was obvious after the first week that D'Antoni wasn't going to play him, so he asked to be bought out....

Before the game, Brewer told The Post he would have loved to stay in New York if coach D'Antoni wanted him.

"You could tell [I wasn't going to play]," Brewer said. "I had been there a week. I didn't play one game, then was inactive for two games, so I kind of felt it was best to go somewhere else and have a chance to play.

"I would've loved to have a chance," he said. "I felt great coming to New York."
    Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Another defensive minded player bites the dust under D'Antoni....

He played a bit part in what was overall a dominant Mav's performance. You're telling me if he was on our team last night he would have shut down Terry or something? I think he would have looked just as bad as Jeffries did; a guy we were raving about before last night.\

Also, the guy seems really small. We needed bigger bodies not smaller ones.

Superstar

Originally Posted by Sons of Thunder
    He played a bit part in what was overall a dominant Mav's performance. You're telling me if he was on our team last night he would have shut down Terry or something? I think he would have looked just as bad as Jeffries did; a guy we were raving about before last night.\

Also, the guy seems really small. We needed bigger bodies not smaller ones.
    Oh no. We would have lost, just the same. The whole team needs to play D, not just one or two guys. I'm just saying it would be nice to have another hustle guy, who is a great individual defender on the team, instead of someone like Andy Rautins (Sorry Andy, but it's true). He could have helped us for the rest of the year and in the play-offs, but because D'Antoni plays favorites and doesn't care one lick about D, except paying lip service to it, we got rid of him...

Guy's a genius. Some of the top teams in the league want him, but they don't know jack. It's not like the Celts and Spurs championships mean something....