Does anyone notice that our pick and roll sucks?

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
So we all knew Amare was great at pick and roll when he operated with Nash (and MDA) in Phoenix. It would be great if that was an option for us now, but it seems like it isn't.

It isn't that we're not running the PnR per se, but rather that it sucks for some reason. Whenever I see us running it, it looks slow and almost never results in an open look for anyone. In fact what I see most often when we run the PnR is that neither the picker or the pickee (yeah, I need some better terms for that) gets open at all, and we often just end up where we were before we ran it, albeit with less time on the shot clock.

So given that we have 2/3 of the formula that led to so much success in PHX, does our problem lie at PG? I'd understand if Amare was getting open and our PG couldn't find him, but it's not even like that's the case. Or is it that we don't have a PG that commands enough respect to draw attention in a PnR scenario?

What would you think about a PnR system incorporating Melo and Stat? Stat sets the pick and Melo with the ball. Coming out of it, both guys can hit the mid-range J or drive in with force, meaning that you can not ignore either one (which often means one will be ignored while the other is given attention).

Any basketball tacticians out there care to comment? I'm just a regular guy who watches basketball. :D

Dude, Billups has been great during the 4 games he'd led the offense as our point. The least of out worries are @ PG on the offensive side of the ball.

Felton & Amare were a solid pick and roll duo, but I'll take an experienced veteran leader in Billups, who has a boat load of playoff & championship experiemce as a former Finals MVP over a PG such as Felton any day of the week & twice during the playoffs.

Billups is great @ running a half court set, while putting his supporting cast in position to make productive plays. The man is a real leader. Running a productive half court offense is also KEY come playoff time. Felton was a below average PG in terms of running a half court set. Way too wild at times.

I like the idea of Melo & Amare working as a duo during some pick & roll plays, but Billups is a much better passer & has the better court vision of the two. Give Billups another 20 games + another 30 or so practices & our Pick & Roll can be tough to stop with Billups & Stoudemire heading into the playoffs

Dude, Billups has been great during the 4 games he'd led the offense as our point. The least of out worries are @ PG on the offensive side of the ball.

Felton & Amare were a solid pick and roll duo, but I'll take an experienced veteran leader in Billups, who has a boat load of playoff & championship experiemce as a former Finals MVP over a PG such as Felton any day of the week & twice during the playoffs.

Billups is great @ running a half court set, while putting his supporting cast in position to make productive plays. The man is a real leader. Running a productive half court offense is also KEY come playoff time. Felton was a below average PG in terms of running a half court set. Way too wild at times.

I like the idea of Melo & Amare working as a duo during some pick & roll plays, but Billups is a much better passer & has the better court vision of the two. Give Billups another 20 games + another 30 or so practices & our Pick & Roll can be tough to stop with Billups & Stoudemire heading into the playoffs

^^^^^^^
:agreed:
during last night games amare and carmelo showed that they can run the pick and roll. I think teams know we run that play often and just defend it pretty well. Billups showed flashes of how with a great point guard with excellent court vision the PnR can be very potent it just going to take time like KnicksFanFromQueens1985 alluded to

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
I was never knocking Billups I love the guy. Just seemed like our PnR was ineffective the past several games and it would be a nice weapon to add to our arsenal, not necessarily be the entirety of our offensive plan.

It'll take some time Thunder, but before the playoffs, I hope and expect the PnR aspect of our offense, as well as our whole team to improve from here on out. Defense included. But yeah, Amare & Felton had the pick & roll down pat; almost to a 'T'. I cant blame you for wanting to see more of it.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
The key about a pick and roll is spacing. The reason the pick and roll worked so well in phx is because they had so many 3 point shooters in the game to sprad the floor. Amare and carmelo like the ball in the same areas, so thats why they run those same few plays to get them in an iso situation, or pick and pop . The offense is fluent, the PnR defense is where the issue comes in. The PnR killed us in The magic game and the cleveland game. Hope we figure something out.

Last edited:

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
The key to execute a good pick and roll is spacing. The reason the pick and roll worked so well in phx is because they had so many 3 point shooters in the game to spread the floor. Amare and carmelo like the ball in the same areas, so thats why they run those same few plays to get them in an iso situation, or pick and pop . The offense is fluent, the PnR defense is where the issue comes in. The PnR killed us in The magic game and the cleveland game. Hope we figure something out.

KingofNy

Starter
Our opponents defend our pick and roll so much because it's pretty much the only play in our arsenal besides isolation and the 3/4-high screen or 4-Post.

What's even worse is the plays Antoni calls coming out of timeouts. I can't even count how many times the ball ends up in Stat's hands behind the 3-point line in situations where there's not much time on the clock/shot-clock. Well either that or Anthony Carter type player. I wish I could find a stat that shows how often we score/defend coming out of a timeout. I would have to think we're probably one of the worst teams in the league at it. That stat alone should show the effectiveness of a coach on both sides of the ball.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
amare problem is that he jumps off the pick to quickly, he doesnt let the pg absorb the pick instead he just stands there then soon as our pg move he slips to the lane instead of making the other pg have to go threw or around him,either leaving a wide open 3 for our pg or an easy dunk for amare.

besides even if those to wont happen stat would have a mismatch with the pg like the cavs were doing, but stats pick isnt the typical one.