• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jpz17

Starter

nyk.gif
vs
atl.gif

New York Knicks @ Atlanta Hawks
(31-29, 14-16 away) | (37-25, 18-10 home)

Date: March 6, 2011
6:30PM ET
Philips Arena, Atlanta, GA
TV: ESPN, MSG

interior.jpg

Atlanta-skyline.jpg

Atlanta, GA

jpzthread.png

ap-201103012007724781359.jpg

ap-20485d399dc741e394149b05105ba417.jpg

ap-201102272159791727678.jpg

6969c4d28f61189376cd502860b79824-getty-103891875jw015_new_york_kni.jpg

ap-93e785f09ca54d9ca330c2caa30d02bf.jpg

ap-93e5923df4ea4c6bbd40626c9e03133c.jpg

<table class="season-leaders" cellspacing="4"><thead><tr class="periods"><th> </th> <th style="text-align: left;">Points</th> <th style="text-align: left;">Rebounds</th> <th style="text-align: left;">Assists</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr><td class="team">NY</td><td style="text-align: left;">Anthony 26.5</td><td style="text-align: left;">Stoudemire 8.4</td><td style="text-align: left;">Billups 6.0</td></tr><tr><td class="team">ATL</td><td style="text-align: left;">Johnson 19.2</td><td style="text-align: left;">Horford 9.9</td><td style="text-align: left;">Johnson 5.3</td></tr></tbody></table>

Gameday Matchup

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th> </th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">New York
</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 43, 92); text-align: right; line-height: 25px;" width="30%">Atlanta
</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">W-L</td><td style="text-align: right;">31-29</td><td style="text-align: right;">37-25</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points</td><td style="text-align: right;">106.4</td><td style="text-align: right;">96.1</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Avg Points Allowed</td><td style="text-align: right;">105.8</td><td style="text-align: right;">95.3</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Home Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">17-13</td><td style="text-align: right;">18-10</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Road Record</td><td style="text-align: right;">14-16</td><td style="text-align: right;">19-15</td></tr><tr class="even"><td style="text-align: left;">Current Streak</td><td style="text-align: right;">L1</td><td style="text-align: right;">L1</td></tr><tr class="odd"><td style="text-align: left;">Last 10</td><td style="text-align: right;">5-5</td><td style="text-align: right;">4-6</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last 5 Games

<table class="mod-data"><thead><tr class="team-color-strip"><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(34, 94, 168); text-align: left;" width="30%">New York</th><th style="border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 43, 92); text-align: left;" width="30%">Atlanta</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr valign="top"> <td style="text-align: left;">Mar 04 CLE Loss 119-115
Mar 02 NO Win 107-88
Mar 01 @ORL Loss 116-110
Feb 27 @MIA Win 91-86
Feb 25 @CLE Loss 115-109
</td> <td style="text-align: left;">Mar 04 OKC Loss 111-104
Mar 02 CHI Win 83-80
Feb 28 @DEN Loss 100-90
Feb 27 @POR Win 90-83
Feb 25 @GS Win 95-79</td></tr></tbody></table>

The New York Knicks and Atlanta Hawks have both played their last two games without key starters. Each club earned a victory in the first game before a disappointing loss in the second.
It's unclear if the Knicks' Chauncey Billups or the Hawks' Josh Smith will suit up Sunday night when these teams meet at Philips Arena.
Billups has missed the last two games for New York (31-29) since he bruised his left thigh in Tuesday's 116-110 loss at Orlando. The Knicks won 107-88 over New Orleans on Wednesday without him before Friday's 119-115 home loss to lowly Cleveland.
"It's a tough loss," star forward Carmelo Anthony said. "I really don't want to say it's embarrassing, but it is a tough loss ... knowing how important it is to take care of home court."
Toney Douglas, a Georgia native, has started the last two games in place of Billups and averaged 17.5 points and 5.0 assists.
Smith, second on the Hawks (37-25) in scoring (16.7 points per game) and rebounding (8.7), has been out with a right knee ligament sprain. Atlanta won 83-80 over Chicago on Wednesday without him, then lost 111-104 to Oklahoma City on Friday.
Hawks coach Larry Drew has used a bigger lineup without Smith, inserting Jason Collins alongside Al Horford in his frontcourt.
Smith's possible absence could be a huge boost to the Knicks. He has averaged 17.0 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.0 assists in three meetings this season.
Atlanta won the first two matchups before a 102-90 loss Feb. 16 in New York. That was the Knicks' final game before acquiring Billups and Anthony, and the Hawks realize they will be seeing a different opponent.
"Obviously with the changes they have made, it's going to be a grind," Drew said. "It's going to be a game that we're going to have bring playoff intensity and playoff energy. Anything less, it could be a disappointing night for us."
New York may also be short-handed in its frontcourt since center Ronny Turiaf sat out Friday with a sore left knee. Jared Jeffries received his first start, with All-Star Amare Stoudemire sliding to center.
Atlanta will present a different look with Kirk Hinrich, acquired from Washington on Feb. 23, starting the last two games at point guard. Hinrich had 21 points Friday for his highest total since Nov. 19.
Drew felt that Smith's energy was sorely missed against the Thunder, who become the fourth team to score more than 110 points against the Hawks.
"These teams are going to bring energy, they're going to bring intensity," the coach said. "We have to bring ours."
The Knicks have struggled defensively while splitting six games since their roster changes, allowing 115 points or more in each of the losses.
"I think the more we practice, the more we communicate off the court, the more we sit down and really talk about our schemes, and then the quicker we can execute, the better we'll be defensively," Stoudemire said.
Stoudemire matched a season high with 41 points and Anthony had 29 on Friday.
Stoudemire's 29.7 points per game at Philips Arena are his most in any building while Anthony's 39.6 percent shooting there is his second-lowest mark.
-ESPN.com

OFFICIAL JPZ PREDICTION

Knicks- 109
NewYork.png

Hawks- 101
Atlanta.png

podoutlinestatmelo.jpg

t_mobile_fave5_logo_180.jpg

presents

JPZ17's
Barkley_s_fave_five_Saul_Salazar_444x500.JPG

FAVE 5 KEYS TO WINNING

1. Billups must play!! and be healthy!
  2. Amare needs to get past the Hawks solid defense and still score
  3. Let Fields shoot more, seriously. The man doesn't miss..
  4. Don't play Jared Jeffries, he sucks
  5. Don't get into a fight..
Did you know??
  • On March 6th 1996 Patrick Ewing grabs nine rebounds in 89-82 win at Toronto, passing Willis Reed (8,414) for first place on the Knicks all-time rebounding list
  • On March 6th 1970 Knicks become the first team in NBA history to surpass the 1 million mark in regular-season total attendance in 107-103 victory versus San Diego Rockets at Madison Square Garden.
  • Amar?e Stoudemire and Hawks forward Josh Smith competed against each other in the 2005 NBA Slam Dunk Contest. Smith edged Stoudemire in the finals to claim the title
  • Anthony Carter was born and raised in Atlanta
  • Toney Douglas went to high school in the Atlanta area
  • Shelden Williams was selected by Atlanta in the first round (fifth overall) of 2006 NBA Draft
Starting Lineups

HAWKS
PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C
kirk_hinrich.jpg
joe_johnson.jpg
marvinwilliams.jpg
josh_smith.jpg
al_horford.jpg

HINRICH--------JOHNSON---------WILLIAMS---------SMITH-----------HORFORD

nyk.gif

KNICKS
PG...........SG..........SF..........PF...........C
chauncey_billups.jpg
landry_fields.jpg
carmelo_anthony.jpg
amare_stoudemire.jpg
ronny_turiaf.jpg

BILLIPS---------FIELDS---------ANTHONY---------STOUDEMIRE---------TURIAF

JPZ17's Key matchup
key_success.jpg

Amare Stoudemire vs Josh Smith

95804317.jpg

GYI0059291264_crop_450x500.jpg

JPZ17's Player Pressure
Which Knicks is under the most pressure to succeed????
color-fog-lights.jpg

The answer: Chauncey Billups

alg_knicks_chauncey_clapping.jpg

Knicks fan anxiously await Billups' return as the Knicks have struggled without him. They probably would have beat Cleveland pretty easily with Billups, so now we need him to be healthy and in the game.

JPZ's YouTube of the Day

Thanks for joining me
for knicksonline I'm JPZ17
Stay classy New York

Go New York Knickssss!
jpzthread.png

Great thread. We need this game in the worst way. Lose this game & we have no chance @ the 5th seed. Win this game, and we're only 3 games back of Atlanta in the loss column with 20 games or so to go.

Must win. I love the NBA league pass, but I'm glad the game is on ESPN tonight. Something different.

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Billups, Turiaf and Bill Walker are all out tonight against the Hawks and iffy to play tomorrow at the Jazz.

That spells trouble. Also, Josh Smith is a go tonight. Going to be a rough game, hope we pull this one out.

Gametime is right around the corner. Huge game for the Knicks. Still fighting for the 5 seed; win tonight & it's a step in the right dirrection.

Also heard Billups is expected to start (probable). Which I hope turns out to be the case. I like the trio of Billups followed by Douglas & Carter.

Nice to see Amare never took the back burner to our team after the addition of Carmelo. Both averaging 26 per since the trade. Amare (26.8) Melo (26.6). Nice duo right there. We just need to D-Up & get production from our supporting cast.

KingofNy

Starter
Billups, Turiaf and Bill Walker are all out tonight against the Hawks and iffy to play tomorrow at the Jazz.

That spells trouble. Also, Josh Smith is a go tonight. Going to be a rough game, hope we pull this one out.

We need Fields, Douglas and Williams to step up if we're going to have any chance to win.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
hoping we can pull off a W here and get some consistency going in the win column. believe it or not one person i hope to see play is Mason. dude can really help us off the bench.

KingofNy

Starter
Gametime is right around the corner. Huge game for the Knicks. Still fighting for the 5 seed; win tonight & it's a step in the right dirrection.

Also heard Billups is expected to start (probable). Which I hope turns out to be the case. I like the trio of Billups followed by Douglas & Carter.

Nice to see Amare never took the back burner to our team after the addition of Carmelo. Both averaging 26 per since the trade. Amare (26.8) Melo (26.6). Nice duo right there. We just need to D-Up & get production from our supporting cast.

Billups and Turiaf are out. J.Jeffries and T.Douglas will start. R.Mason and D.Brown made the rotation as well for tonights game.

Gonna be tough to win without Billups, Turi & Walker... I'm glad to see JJ starting though. I like his defense & feel he's gonna work out for the Knicks this go around. Didn't have the best game against the Cavs but it was ONLY his first game back.

I'm expecting Jeffries to put up around 4-8 points, 8-12 rebounds & 1-2 blocks while taking 1 offensive charge. Sucks not having Billups but I'm confident in Douglas @ point. We need a strong game from TD as a leader tonight.

Come on JJ... Bring some DEFENSIVE INTENSITY to the Knicks tonight!

I kinda wanna face the Heat rather than the Bulls right now.. If we drop to 7th and the Heat stop sucking SO much and stay in 2nd I'll be content..

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Melo and STAT gonna bring it, we need a big night from fields and either williams or TD, preferrably both. I got a feeling this is gonna be a blow out win for us tonight!

I want the 5 seed. I'd much rather play Orlando before having to play the Celtics, Bulls or Heat. Magic are good, but come playoff time... I like our chances against Orlando.

Plus, the Hawks are a tough team. I'd love to see Atlanta as the 6th seed. They can upset one of the top 3 teams.

Outstanding start for us! 11-3 and playing D! TD with a quick 5. And please dont compare Douglas to Ward woman. Nothing against Ward but TD's talents are through the roof.

knicks.

Rookie
a few things i'd like to say
1. TD is great at finishing around the rim, always impresses me
2. for anyone who missed it, clyde said the problem w/ our d is that our players expect help as we play man to man, everyone has to keep their man in front of them and not give up the baseline expecting help. i agree