Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 53 of 53

Thread: What a defensive coach can do for you

  1. #46
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    ^ sick post. The pros/negs is spot ****ing on.

  2. #47
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by iJoe
    You haven't given me a shred of fact. You again just repeated opinions of others with no proof.

    First off, let me point out that Phoenix DID hire a defensive coach in Porter after Dantoni left. (not gotten rid of) Do I need to say what happened to the Suns after Porter took over? They started losing.....badly.... then they fired Porter and Gentry took over and guess what he did? He pushed the tempo back up again. You need the right coach for the right team.

    If you search the forums, you can find numerous videos and quotes about Dantoni actually teaching defense. Is his style a slow down, half court game? No. However, saying he teaches no defense is just absurd.

    Now let me answer your question of what I think of Dantoni. I personally find him to be a slightly above average coach. I respect him because he took a **** job knowing that it would be painful rebuilding. He hasn't had the type of lineup he likes nor has he had a stable lineup this year. However, he hasn't complained and keeps on being the same old ****y Dantoni (which a lot of people hate). Let me give a few positives/negatives

    Positives:
    -Tends to bring out the best in players that work hard and listen. Remember how nobody liked the Shawne Williams signing and thought Fields was a bad pick? Felton/Chandler thrived under him for the short while and in general players that leave his system diminish in play (Marion, Diaw, Barbosa). Unlike the stereotype he has, he always plays guys who he feels deserve to play.

    -Manages to make the most of mismatches on the offensive end as much as possible. Likes to speedball in order to create even more mismatches and not give defense the time to set up. Has adjusted his playbook numerous times for different players.

    -Good players want to come play for him. Uptempo and sharing the ball is appealing and a slow it down grindhouse 1v1 tends to wear down the player a lot. Helps that their stats are gonna be great if they work hard.

    Negatives
    -While defensive players thrive in his system, his team defensive schemes are definitely lacking. However, he does emphasize that as long as his team can make the key defensive stops, thats what matters. His phoenix teams did this while the Knicks still have not proven to be clutch on defense.

    -Not a disciplinarian. He's not the type to scream and force his players to do something. If you don't work hard on your own, he's just not gonna play you. Its very harsh on the young guys who haven't built a good work ethic a la Randolph, Milicic and Curry.

    -His out of bounds plays this year have not been good so far (though I cut him some slack with such a new team)

    To sum up, I don't find Dantoni to be the greatest coach, but who the hell else is viable to coach this team. A defensive coach wouldn't work, because this team isn't built to play slow grinding ball and we don't have a real center. There are NO good coaches readily available. At least wait for the offseason when there might be some decent candidates to go after. Like it or not, our team is gonna stay this way for the rest of the season and will be the better for it. Root for your team and try to have a little fun.
    This team is now built for half court... not the other way around.

    We don't placate D'Antoni and his offense because we know there is a better team there than he is allowing out. His stuborness has cost us trade value, players, and wins. It will cost us a championship if he remains the head coach or does not accept a defensive minded assistant coach. He needs to start playing to our player's strengths. We cannot have 120 point games anymore. Our team is just not built for the fast offense. He needs to concentrate more on setting up defensive strategies.

    I swear, if I see us blow defensive coverage on a simple PnR one more time, I'm going to find him and slap the mustache of his face...

    I love this team, and I hate seeing it lose games to Cleveland because our players don't work together coherently on D. It's just sad. Charles Barkley has a right to call us: 'turr-i-ble" when we lay duds on D.

    No championship team has ever won without playing D... Those are the facts. D'Antoni's system is not viable...

  3. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by iJoe
    You haven't given me a shred of fact. You again just repeated opinions of others with no proof.

    First off, let me point out that Phoenix DID hire a defensive coach in Porter after Dantoni left. (not gotten rid of) Do I need to say what happened to the Suns after Porter took over? They started losing.....badly.... then they fired Porter and Gentry took over and guess what he did? He pushed the tempo back up again. You need the right coach for the right team.

    If you search the forums, you can find numerous videos and quotes about Dantoni actually teaching defense. Is his style a slow down, half court game? No. However, saying he teaches no defense is just absurd.

    Now let me answer your question of what I think of Dantoni. I personally find him to be a slightly above average coach. I respect him because he took a **** job knowing that it would be painful rebuilding. He hasn't had the type of lineup he likes nor has he had a stable lineup this year. However, he hasn't complained and keeps on being the same old ****y Dantoni (which a lot of people hate). Let me give a few positives/negatives

    Positives:
    -Tends to bring out the best in players that work hard and listen. Remember how nobody liked the Shawne Williams signing and thought Fields was a bad pick? Felton/Chandler thrived under him for the short while and in general players that leave his system diminish in play (Marion, Diaw, Barbosa). Unlike the stereotype he has, he always plays guys who he feels deserve to play.

    -Manages to make the most of mismatches on the offensive end as much as possible. Likes to speedball in order to create even more mismatches and not give defense the time to set up. Has adjusted his playbook numerous times for different players.

    -Good players want to come play for him. Uptempo and sharing the ball is appealing and a slow it down grindhouse 1v1 tends to wear down the player a lot. Helps that their stats are gonna be great if they work hard.

    Negatives
    -While defensive players thrive in his system, his team defensive schemes are definitely lacking. However, he does emphasize that as long as his team can make the key defensive stops, thats what matters. His phoenix teams did this while the Knicks still have not proven to be clutch on defense.

    -Not a disciplinarian. He's not the type to scream and force his players to do something. If you don't work hard on your own, he's just not gonna play you. Its very harsh on the young guys who haven't built a good work ethic a la Randolph, Milicic and Curry.

    -His out of bounds plays this year have not been good so far (though I cut him some slack with such a new team)

    To sum up, I don't find Dantoni to be the greatest coach, but who the hell else is viable to coach this team. A defensive coach wouldn't work, because this team isn't built to play slow grinding ball and we don't have a real center. There are NO good coaches readily available. At least wait for the offseason when there might be some decent candidates to go after. Like it or not, our team is gonna stay this way for the rest of the season and will be the better for it. Root for your team and try to have a little fun.
    You say i havent given you a shread of proof.. why should I .. you said it your self

    My first question

    ... "do you think he is a good, bad, average, below average, or above average defnsive coach?"

    you quote

    "his team defensive schemes are definitely lacking."

    My second question

    you did not answer...bcuz you anwered it above...everybody knows it...

    read what i wrote...

  4. #49
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksman20
    And DA still has to break away from his comfort zone & play a big man CONSISTENTLY in the rotation. Which he's been reluctant to do. A big man can only do so much if the coach isn't preaching team defense. Team defense helps with boxing out, creating more rebounding opportunities, limiting opposing teams offensive rebounds, & creates steals which lead to fast breaks points. Again THAT"S a coaching issue. Not sure why you don't get that.
    WE DONT HAVE A BIG MAN YOU IDIOT.
    NOT SURE WHY YOU DONT GET THAT

  5. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    9

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by Toons
    WE DONT HAVE A BIG MAN YOU IDIOT.
    NOT SURE WHY YOU DONT GET THAT

    so whos to blame for that Walsh or O'antoni.????. im putting blame on both..

    Oantoni more because its his type of players

  6. #51
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    WE DONT HAVE A BIG MAN YOU IDIOT.
    NOT SURE WHY YOU DONT GET THAT
    Jeesh Toons, why are you getting angry with the ALL CAPS? We did have a big man. He didn't play in the rotation until the month before the trade deadline. No need to get mean about the act we don't have a big man now. We really should have picked up Earl Barron.

  7. #52
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    WE DONT HAVE A BIG MAN YOU IDIOT.
    NOT SURE WHY YOU DONT GET THAT
    A big man does NOT solve our problem if the coach isn't preaching TEAM defense & holding players accountable for a blown assignment. If you weren't so busy doing chin-ups from DA's scrotum, you'd be able to see this.

  8. #53
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    so whos to blame for that Walsh or O'antoni.????. im putting blame on both..

    Oantoni more because its his type of players
    i dont care who is the blame, we dont have one, we never had one.
    a big man, isnt a guy who has ONE good game ALL season. And dont give me the bull that moz didnt play. Its walsh's fault. Not Dantoni. Barron CHOSE the bucks over the knicks, I read an article where walsh told barron to stay ready. Barrons agent told him to sign with the bucks.
    Its frustrating when people say play half court ball when we dont have a big. Who plays halfcourt ball without a big???

Similar Threads

  1. What has Damntoni Done?
    By Knicksfansince92 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: Feb 17, 2011, 22:47
  2. MIKE D plays DEFENSIVE Players so STOPPP THE NONSENSE.
    By DontForgetDerekHarper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: Jan 18, 2011, 12:25
  3. Playoff Thread
    By Kiyaman in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: Jun 18, 2010, 13:37
  4. ESPN rates Dantoni's first 2 seasons as coach
    By nyk_nyk in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: Apr 16, 2010, 14:45
  5. Assistant Ford promoted to replace Ayers
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 10, 2004, 14:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •