Just some thought about the whole 1-2 punch of Carmelo Anthony & Amare Stoudemire.

Just some thought about the whole 1-2 punch of Carmelo Anthony & Amare Stoudemire.

This was only the 5th time, in 5 years, that a team has had two players with 30+ pts before the start of the 4th. It only took 8 games; NY has a deadly duo.

Stat N' Melo now make for one of, if not the best 1-2 punches around. Top 3 for sure.

LeBron & Wade may never get it right. They both play different positions, but they also play with almost the same exact offensive methods. Only way it works is if James runs Point & allows Wade to become the scoring champ. The pride of "king james" may never allow that to happen though.

I just love how we walked away with both Carmelo & Amare. NY already has a better chemistry than MIA. Both Amare & Melo's game compliment eachothers playing styles to a 'T'. Complete total opposites. opposites attract though.

Great inside-outside game. Amare also has a smooth as silk jumper; which is pretty rare for a big man. Melo does it all. Nice jumper, drives to the rim & finishes with the best of em, scores in the paint, great post up player with his back to the basket etc, etc.

KingofNy

Starter
This was only the 5th time, in 5 years, that a team has had two players with 30+ pts before the start of the 4th. It only took 8 games; NY has a deadly duo.

Stat N' Melo now make for one of, if not the best 1-2 punches around. Top 3 for sure.

LeBron & Wade may never get it right. They both play different positions, but they also play with almost the same exact offensive methods. Only way it works is if James runs Point & allows Wade to become the scoring champ. The pride of "king james" may never allow that to happen though.

I just love how we walked away with both Carmelo & Amare. NY already has a better chemistry than MIA. Both Amare & Melo's game compliment eachothers playing styles to a 'T'. Complete total opposites. opposites attract though.

Great inside-outside game. Amare also has a smooth as silk jumper; which is pretty rare for a big man. Melo does it all. Nice jumper, drives to the rim & finishes with the best of em, scores in the paint, great post up player with his back to the basket etc, etc.

I agree that Stat and Melo are probably the best 1-2 combo in the NBA (right now). This is exciting considering they haven't even had a real chance to practice together and really game-plan to use both their strengths to their full ability. This is also the reason I think we don't need another 3rd max contract. If we split the money spent that was supposed to be on the third max contract on a good C, PG, and SG then we should be set. Either way this team has been fun to watch....(as long as we're not playing Cleveland... :p)

These are just some of the reasons why I'm against going after another star with a 3rd MAX contract come 2012. This is the most star power Knick fans have seen from the Knicks is about 38-39 years since the days of Clyde & Reed. We have all the star power needed here in NY to win a championship. If Melo & Amare both stay healthy, I'm confident that they'll bring the chip back home to NY. I don't wanna see us trying to become the next Celtics or Miami Heat team. This may very well be Bostons last championship push with aging stars such as KG, Pierce & Allen. Miami has next to nothing in terms of cap space & ability to improve that team. If we become two & three deep @ every position, starting with the C position; Miami will NEVER be able to compete with the Knicks. I'd rather see our Franchise from NY build a team; instead of a team full of 3 stars, no depth, no cap space (cap hell), with no ability to improve our roster, all because we can no longer afford to sign our own draft picks. I don't want that.

Good post KingofNy; you were saying what I was saying, only I was still typing lol. But seriously, the Knicks of the 90's were great to watch. Ewing was a superstar. Starks was a star. The difference? The Knicks now have two superstars. Harper, Oakley & Mason weren't stars... But they were productive as productive could be.

Fields, Douglas may never be the Guards that Oakley & Mason were as forwards, but... I already enjoy the talents of both LF & TD. Their potential is through the roof. Billups is our very own Harper as of right now... Until the end of next year. Jeffries reminds me of a Mason type of player when Mason was coming off the bench. Kind of crazy, not productive on offense, but brang toughness & intensity to our defense. Riley-Van Gundy always had some of the best D's around but yet, our offense could never out score MJ & the Bulls. The Knicks of the 90's were built around defense. The Knicks will always have a top 3 offensive attack under MDA. Now lets build defense during FA & drafts...

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Melo N Stat are the better match then wade and james because with the Miami 2, they both bring the ball up the court and control the play while in the offensive set. You cant have 2 players dominating the ball like that, and then try to incorporate bosh. They should just have lebron at point (ie magic johnson) but who cares about them.

Melo N STAT can score within the offense, ANY offense, without having to hog the ball or flow of the offense. Melo can do all the things lebron can do when it comes to passing and ball handling, but Melo's game is to score.

Dont get me wrong there really is no need for another star, but if you could get Dwight Howard, why wouldnt you get the best center in the game?

All we need now is a solid center (Dalembert,Przybilla,Deandre) but Jeffries will be good for now.Signing a max superstar (CP3,Williams) would put us in cap hell and we don't need a pg.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
As has been said, good post. I commented when the trade was made that I didn't understand why people were talking about how it would never work. Great inside shooter/Banger and a great outside shooter/scorer. Amar'e was never the type to block the lane and already showed the offensive intelligence required to run a much harder system in the form of the SSOL, so what's the beef chief?

Glad to see the Knicks new better than 90% of self proclaimed experts in TV land.

Of course I would love Howard. We would have the best front line in the history of the NBA with Howard & Stoudemire. But 3 superstars won't have success in the playoffs against a team thats 8 deep led by 1 or 2 stars. What if one of the 3 stars gets fouled out during the 3rd? Two stars & 8 scrubs? No thanks. Look @ the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers etc, etc... Who were their 3rd superstar? Exactly. They were all led by 1 superstar & 1 star with a deep supporting cast of championship types of role players.

But keep in mind, with Howard's max contract... We would have no depth come 2012, & we'd also be in cap hell; with no ability to improve our roster. We'd also lose Fields. NY wouldn't have the cap space to sign Fields during the summer of 2012. We wouldn't be able to keep Douglas once his contract expires either. That would leave us with holes @ 2G & PG with no depth, bench, or ability to improve our team. You cant build a dynasty without role players, a bench or ability to upgrade the team.

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
Of course I would love Howard. We would have the best front line in the history of the NBA with Howard & Stoudemire. But 3 superstars won't have success in the playoffs against a team thats 8 deep led by 1 or 2 stars. What if one of the 3 stars gets fouled out during the 3rd? Two stars & 8 scrubs? No thanks. Look @ the Bulls, Rockets, Spurs, Lakers etc, etc... Who were their 3rd superstar? Exactly. They were all led by 1 superstar & 1 star with a deep supporting cast of championship types of role players.

But keep in mind, with Howard's max contract... We would have no depth come 2012, & we'd also be in cap hell; with no ability to improve our roster. We'd also lose Fields. NY wouldn't have the cap space to sign Fields during the summer of 2012. We wouldn't be able to keep Douglas once his contract expires either. That would leave us with holes @ 2G & PG with no depth, bench, or ability to improve our team. You cant build a dynasty without role players, a bench or ability to upgrade the team.

Exactly. Melo and STAT are showing us that they have the ability to put up 60-80 points a night on their own. We don't need more superstar players, we just need solid defenders that don't have to have a ridiculous offensive game. That will save us money too since we'll be acquiring one-trick ponies rather than really well-rounded players that would cost a lot.

TD has shown some real potential and could be our starting PG in the coming years. Billups will be there to guide him along the way and slowly we'll transition from Billups as the #1 choice to TD being so. Fields is a keeper and he'll be a key piece for years to come.

So as everyone else has been saying, what we really need is a solid defensive center. One that can grab boards like a beast and make opposition players sh!t bricks every time they even think about entering the lane. If we can add the right pieces, my God we might be looking at a multiple-championship team.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i agree with the consensus here that we dont need a 3rd max contract. Really we dont. Billups is capable of putting up another 4 years at pretty much this level. resign him to 2 years in 2012 by then we'll have signed or drafted a young PG who can take his place( a la Rondo ) or just give the job to Douglas who should be vastly improved by then by just being mentored by Billups. focus on resigning Fields and keeping this core together while adding veterans and a solid starting 5( jordan/ dalambert-esque )- i think Jeffries and turiaf off the bench would be NICE!. this team is almost set just need a C and we could compete for the chip next year!!

As for the Melo&Amar'e duo they will be the best duo in the NBA once they have solid chemistry( which their starting to get down )- dont look now NBA, but the Knicks are back!!

Wargames

Starter
If you remember we only wanted two stars max in order to build around so we're set. All we need are some roleplayer to fill out rosters.