Is this team good enough for Phil to want to coach now

New New York

Quiet Storm
Not that I am a Dantoni hater, I serioulsy think starting now is when we can accuratley assess (spelled wrong) him as a coach, but if it doesnt work out and Phil does indeed retire from The Lakers would he coach this Knicks team down the road?

For sure he would be mentioned as a canidate!!!

Years ago this was a hot topic, but Phil Jackson said it in his book he never really gave thought to coaching The Knicks, not the Patrick Ewing,Spree,H20 squad in 99 and certainley not The Isiah assembled squad when the rumor re-serviced, the latter at which he basically laughed about.

But Phil has been rather outspoken about Mia's "Big 3" and his lack of belief in how good they can be, but he has to know while his Laker team would knock them off this year if they faced off, that for years to come they would eventually dominate his squad....which I beleive has something to do with his retirement (or resignation) as Lakers coach.

Not to mention D Wade poking fun at him saying "He wants to be our next coach" probably did not go over well w/ Phil and you gotta think he would love to block them from being a dynasty like his 90's Bulls squad.

So where could he go to actually challenge them? When you look at the whole league NY would make the most sense in that regard

Problem is that at the end of the day Phil wants more than just two superstars on his team but rather the two best players in The NBA, but if NY got a player like Deron Williams then maybe he breaks that trend.

We'll see!!!!

Forget about Phil Jackson. He doesn't deserve to coach this Knicks team. He wanted nothing to do with us when we had Ewing & he still wanted nothing to do with us during the past 10 years. He could care less about helping the Knicks become great; he wants a great team already in place so he can take the credit. Jackson always wants a silver spoon of roster talent. No heart if you ask me. Every coach wins with great players, but how great would Jackson have been without MJ & Pippen or Shaq & Kobe? I'd bring back Van Gundy way before Jackson.

elcol

Rotation player
Phil Jackson isn't even that great of a coach he was just always blessed with great players

so true, how can you really measure a teams success when you have two of the best players(arguably) arguably to play the game, along side with a perfect supporting cast..besides, kobe ignores the triangle offence.

The same can also be said about Bill Billichek or however you spell his last name. 5 or 6 seasons with Cleveland & only had 1 winning season & playoff birth. First year with NE... No playoffs. Than Bledsoe went down, Brady came in & thats all she wrote. But Jackson is still a much better coach than that guy, but Phil was always blessed with the best of the best. No thanks on Jackson; let him retire or coach another team.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
I've never been a huge fan of Phil's. I think he is done after this eyar. He will try for his fourth three-peat (that is impressive) and then retire with his millions.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Forget about Phil Jackson. He doesn't deserve to coach this Knicks team. He wanted nothing to do with us when we had Ewing & he still wanted nothing to do with us during the past 10 years. He could care less about helping the Knicks become great; he wants a great team already in place so he can take the credit. Jackson always wants a silver spoon of roster talent. No heart if you ask me. Every coach wins with great players, but how great would Jackson have been without MJ & Pippen or Shaq & Kobe? I'd bring back Van Gundy way before Jackson.

Back in the real world? Yeah you'd rim the guy when he brought you the gold, which is what he does, wherever he goes.

He doesn't have great teams already in place, he makes great teams and then he sustains them to become dynastys. He's arguably the greatest coach that ever lived and if he even thought about coaching the Knicks at any point in the future we'd instantly become the favourites to be the next dynasty regardless of what anyone else was doing.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
You guys are crazy to say you wouldn't want Jackson to coach the Knicks. I like MDA, but i'd kick em to curb in a hot sec if PJ had serious interest in coaching my team.
Pop and PJ are the two best personality/ bench managers in the game. It's what sets them apart.

Stat4mvp

Benchwarmer
Phil Jackson isn't even that great of a coach he was just always blessed with great players

And when he has great players he wins multiple rings.

But these are all moot points honestly. Phil is old, he wants one last threepeat and then he is going to ride into the sunset, and he will never coach again.
If D'antoni is ever fired, I want Bill Laimbeer to coach this team, or maybe Doc Rivers if he decides to retire for a year or so as was speculated after last season.

Kiyaman

Legend

What year did u start watching the NBA?

Phil Jax first season with the Lakers he was given 4 ALL-STAR Laker players
on the roster. He traded Van Exel & Eddie the same month the Lakers hired
him, Jax only kept two of the Lakers ALL-STARS to start his first season
coaching the Lakers. Rookie contract Kobe and no-defense Shaq.
Phil Jax built a three-peat Dynasty in L.A. while making Kobe & Shaq HOF
super-stars.

Phil Jax quit the Chicago Bulls b/c their organization owner/management
got pig-head crazy like the Knicks owner/management, the same
Knicks owner/management that made Pat Riley quit the Knicks.

If u want to build a Championship team Phil Jax is the man to talk to.

And when he has great players he wins multiple rings.

But these are all moot points honestly. Phil is old, he wants one last threepeat and then he is going to ride into the sunset, and he will never coach again.
If D'antoni is ever fired, I want Bill Laimbeer to coach this team, or maybe Doc Rivers if he decides to retire for a year or so as was speculated after last season.

Thats what I'm talking about. Bill Laimbeer the next truly great coach...

WrongIslander

Rotation player

Well I'm happy with who we've got for now, if gives reason to think otherwise at the end of this season then so be it.

If you do want Laimbeer then now would be the time to strike given I'd assume he'd be quite hot on the idea of managing the Celtics.

moneyg

Starter
Not that I am a Dantoni hater, I serioulsy think starting now is when we can accuratley assess (spelled wrong) him as a coach, but if it doesnt work out and Phil does indeed retire from The Lakers would he coach this Knicks team down the road?

For sure he would be mentioned as a canidate!!!

Years ago this was a hot topic, but Phil Jackson said it in his book he never really gave thought to coaching The Knicks, not the Patrick Ewing,Spree,H20 squad in 99 and certainley not The Isiah assembled squad when the rumor re-serviced, the latter at which he basically laughed about.

But Phil has been rather outspoken about Mia's "Big 3" and his lack of belief in how good they can be, but he has to know while his Laker team would knock them off this year if they faced off, that for years to come they would eventually dominate his squad....which I beleive has something to do with his retirement (or resignation) as Lakers coach.

Not to mention D Wade poking fun at him saying "He wants to be our next coach" probably did not go over well w/ Phil and you gotta think he would love to block them from being a dynasty like his 90's Bulls squad.

So where could he go to actually challenge them? When you look at the whole league NY would make the most sense in that regard

Problem is that at the end of the day Phil wants more than just two superstars on his team but rather the two best players in The NBA, but if NY got a player like Deron Williams then maybe he breaks that trend.

We'll see!!!!

the only good thing..other than his experience...about Phil jackson coachin ghte knicks is that.. with his triangle offense.. you really dont need a convential PG...TD would be just as good..if not better.. than fisher was

Kiyaman

Legend

I do not see Laimbeer wanting any part of a crazy and clueless big franchise
like the Knicks. Laimbeer wouldve been the perfect Knicks headcoach (with
assistant Mark Aquire) when we had Curry/Zach/Lee/Chandler/Marbury/and
Nate. Laimbeer wouldve cleaned house by having consecutive winning
seasons.

Why the Knicks did not think "Big n Small" go to guys (scorers) in their
2010-Plan offseason bewilders my compliments to president Donnie Walsh.
Donnie Walsh was given the golden oportunity to "sign n trade" our UFA
double-double David Lee. Amare & Felton had already committed to the
Knicks (before July 9th) days ahead of the Lee trade to GS.
SG-Ellis wouldve been the prime candidate player for an "even" trade for
David Lee, plus Ellis creative scoring ability is what PG-Felton needed as a
backcourt tandem (Felton is not a scorer). Felton is a 30 mpg PG that will
get some easy open baskets within 30 minutes of leading the point (no
forcing shots).
When u are looking to build a NBA contender u must know the right
ingredients......

Look at the "two" complete position that won NBA Championship Trophies in the past decade:
C-Shaq & SG-Kobe,
PF-Duncan & SG-Ginobli,
C-Shaq & SG-D.Wade
PF-Rasheed & SG-Rip,
PF-KG & SG-Ray Allen
PF-Gasol & SG-Kobe.
The SG-position with a dominating bigman has been the TWO top important
positions of building a top contender team in the NBA.

P.S. Donnie Walsh and all the justifying Knick-Fans can not justify/argue/or debate the trade acceptance of SG-Mobley failing the trade-physical with a career-injury on a two year contract. Nor can they mention the foolishness of trading for SG-Azu whom 85% of the NBA analyst doubted he would be recovered from injury to perform in his final contract season. This is why all the publicity of the trade was thrown on the athleticism of a young Anthony Randolph.

The Knicks don't need a "scoring SG" when they have two of the NBA's top 5 scorers in Amare & Carmelo. With the team the Knicks have, the PG is much more important than the SG position. Billups is the QB of our offense, he's our "coach" running the PG position.

Fields is also everything the Knicks could have dreamed for as our 2G. Steal of the draft. Fields has been the most productive Knicks rookie since god know when. What a special feeling it was, watching Fields play with the top rookies & sophmores during the Rookie-Sophmore All-Star game. Fields can score too. Has a nice stroke from long distance, can drive to the hole, can finish @ the rim with an athletic drive or slam... But most importantly? He's a championship type of talent. Doesn't need "the ball" to make an impact. Great off the player. Already one of (if not the best) rebounding Guards in the game today. Fields also has outstanding defense & hustle. Our best peremeter defender. Kids basketball IQ is through the roof. Injury prone Azu who? lol

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
I'm sorry but Phil had the GOAT in Chicago and the archetypical DOMINANT big in L.A. Phil knows that if he goes anywhere without a stacked deck, he risks exposing himself and soiling his legacy, which is why he would never come here.

Also, to snub the team that got you two rings as a player? Stay classy, Phil.

iSaYughh

Starter
That may be the best Kiyaman post I've ever read. The breakdown of recent Champions and their key pieces is pretty interesting.

Felton-Douglas
Ellis-Fields
Gallo-Chandler
Amare-Turiaf
Jeffries

And I guess the cap to get a center in offseason? (dalembert, Jordan, Glenn Davis, etc) With a punchers chance of getting Paul or Williams after Felton expires,

Vs what we got now,

Is the two courses being discussed.

Billups
Fields
Melo
Amare
Jeffries

Weak bench, but *if* the cba and Walsh's genius allows us to get a bonefied big man this offeason....even a Glenn Davis,

Our current course that got us Melo is a total beast, barring Gallo/Chandler becoming all-star players.