Knicks V Pacers - Mar 13 + 15: Home And Away Double Thread Special

mafra

Legend
I see, adding Xenophobia to the list. Nice.

MDA's like has never been seen in the NBA, he's brought more questions to the game than ever before and that's not just me saying that. If your only arguement is "It didn't work in the past it won't work in the future" then you have no argument. It's lazy and it's wrong as Isayughh has already pointed out so eloquently elsewhere.

What you favour? Yeah that's irrelevant.

Feel free to have an opinion that's why we're all here but don't try and pass it off as fact or there'll be someone to pull you up each time you do.

"Don't hate the player yo, hate the game"

Try not to use big words... Using them out of context makes you look foolish. I don't fear foreign people, I just K-N-O-W that Euro style of play doesn't work in the NBA. That's why Petrovic & Kukoc went from stars to role players.

Then, when you type: "Don't hate the player yo, hate the game" you expose yourself as some lemming who can only access-then-upload the pop-bonk previously downloaded in your hard drive.

The SSOL spread offense is akin to the run and shoot. It sells tickets, it looks cool but it'll never win a title.

In the NBA you need SIZE. Lots of it. 2-3 BIG boys. Chew on that, and we'll revisit this in 7 years when MD is coaching in Italy.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
For everybody giving Dantoni credit for anything the knicks have done this year, I wish you well.

Its pretty obvious you guys don kow much about basketball, but are just fans.

Terrible coaches who have success in the regular season aresuccesful because of talent. Nothing else!

Avery johnson in dallas. Mike brown in cleveland, Dantoni on any team hes coached.

There is a reason why they arent on theyre original teams anymore. THEY SUCK!

How can anybody be satisfied with progression alone? The bottom line is, DANTONI MUST GO! Period! Why be in this league and you can not win?

Glad to see people arn't over reacting. By the way working with such ridiculous absolutes in no way dilutes your argument to the point where it's laughable, honest.

Over reacting? I've seen this guys M O all year. Williams on Howard, Lopez, Gasol, Ilguaskis, Z-Bo, Brand, Hibbert, Hansborough. Its a bad matchup. No matter how you slice it. No matter if we won or not. Let me ask you this. Watching the Knicks this past year have you EVER seen MDA do something in game and said to yourself OK nice move? Or, that was smart? Or, he hasnt played in awhile maybe MDA is trying to matchup? I dam sure havent.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Try not to use big words... Using them out of context makes you look foolish. I don't fear foreign people, I just K-N-O-W that Euro style of play doesn't work in the NBA. That's why Petrovic & Kukoc went from stars to role players.

Then, when you type: "Don't hate the player yo, hate the game" you expose yourself as some lemming who can only access-then-upload the pop-bonk previously downloaded in your hard drive.

The SSOL spread offense is akin to the run and shoot. It sells tickets, it looks cool but it'll never win a title.

In the NBA you need SIZE. Lots of it. 2-3 BIG boys. Chew on that, and we'll revisit this in 7 years when MD is coaching in Italy.

Ooooh swing and a miss, next time you look up a word don't just take the first definition you find actually find the word used in context perhaps and you might stop yourself looking foolish. Xenophbia is also used in terms of immense dislike/hatred or in other words the way I was using it. If you really do want to try and put me down in regards to English, you know the language my people invented, then please "come correct".

Oh and you don't "K-N-O-W" it doesn't work, you know it hasn't worked. Big difference. The point more relevant of course is you don't "K-N-O-W" if it will work in the future and therein lies the whole crux of what you are completely missing regardless of D'antoni, basketball or anything else really.

No idea what you're talking about in your second paragraph, I was clearly using a vernacular I thought you'd appreciate hence the reason for the paragraphs to denote it's not something I'd usually say. Well played again though, you're really showing me up here.

We're no longer playing SSOL but thanks for again showing how you'll say anything to put down our coach regardless of how he adapts to the new team he has been given.

Oh while we're on that point, when the Melo deal was being talked about we heard how MDA wouldn't let go of Danilo and some rather unflattering comments were aimed at him for this. So in other words MDA was the key factor in stopping the trade right? But the trade went through so if we take what these people are saying as fact (clearly it wasn't but then when has that stopped us) then MDA doesn't have the final say at all. Fast forward and MDA has Melo, he plays well? Well that Walsh is a genius. He plays badly? MDA in player with no D shocker. Again there's a distinct lack of parity in this scenario, wouldn't you say?

We'll revist it in 7 years will we? Okay, by that time you may have matured and realised what perspective is. I look forward to it.

iSaYughh

Starter

SSOL is more like euro-ball, and most usually seen there. But there is nothing to SSOL that inhibits having QUALITY size, like in the NBA. Your GM either gets it for you; or he doesn't. And you then have choice to play them.

Most generally, and most accurately too, SSOL is just about pressuring a team, being ungame'plannable for opposing teams, take them out of comfort zone; and having good ball movement, smart/unselfish but aggressed/in-shape players, and at least a couple people who have range.

Nothing to do with being mutually exclusive with nasty defensive players, or quality big men.

Our "size" has truly been a perpetual all-time bust (Darko) on a 1yr deal, and the multi-year project of Randolph. Who may really be closer to a sf than a NBA C at this point. And regardless was pure trade bait who had an important value to be preserved (perhaps even at the expense of being developed). But either way,

We truly have had no legit, quality size where you can say, MDA hates big players. If he really did, I doubt we bring back Isiah Thomas disgrace Jeffries...and play him so much

Or Walsh brings in D-Leauger The Barron...and MDA starts him for the final stretch of last year.

Quality size IS very important. It's also relatively rare, and such, it isn't easy to quickly acquire and get.

If you think we had Nene Hillario, and D'ant wouldn't start him...that he wouldn't play great here...idk, it's a crossroads of opinion that just can't be definitely crossed until anyone even approaching NeneH status comes here (by Walsh's moves) and we see what happens.

For all the talk of "Defense"...

How many rings did NY win during the 90's under Riley & JFG? Those NY teams ALWAYS ranked as either top 5 or top 10 D's. You know why we couldn't get past Jordan & the Bulls? We lacked the offensive ability to out score them.

You all keep talking about how MDA "Never went to the Finals"... Who doesn't have problems with the Spurs? SA was a dynasty waaayyyy before MDA came to the Suns.

Make fun of the man for losing to the Spurs? But yet fail to give him credit for eliminating Kobe & the Lakers during back to back playoff apperances? MDA went 8-4 against Kobe & the Lakers during the two playoff series & even had his team come up CLUTCH against LAL during a game 7 series which PHX advanced.

Stop "acting" like Dirk & to Mavs dominated MDA & the Suns too. They met two times during the playoffs. Beat Dallas 4-2 & lost to Dallas 4-2. MDA went 4-4 (1-1) against an ELITE Mavs team.

Also swept Memphis 4-0 & eliminated the Clippers 4-3 & came up big during a deciding game 7.

But yeah... "blame" MDA for the Knicks losing to the Pacers tonight. How about you give him more than 11 games for the Knicks to gel. Clueless as clueless can be when it comes to MDA & the Knicks.

mafra

Legend
Ooooh swing and a miss, next time you look up a word don't just take the first definition you find actually find the word used in context perhaps and you might stop yourself looking foolish. Xenophbia is also used in terms of immense dislike/hatred or in other words the way I was using it. If you really do want to try and put me down in regards to English, you know the language my people invented, then please "come correct".

No idea what you're talking about in your second paragraph, I was clearly using a vernacular I thought you'd appreciate hence the reason for the paragraphs to denote it's not something I'd usually say. Well played again though, you're really showing me up here.

We're no longer playing SSOL but thanks for again showing how you'll say anything to put down our coach regardless of how he adapts to the new team he has been given.

Oh while we're on that point, when the Melo deal was being talked about we heard how MDA wouldn't let go of Danilo and some rather unflattering comments were aimed at him for this. So in other words MDA was the key factor in stopping the trade right? But the trade went through so if we take what these people are saying as fact (clearly it wasn't but then when has that stopped us) then MDA doesn't have the final say at all. Fast forward and MDA has Melo, he plays well? Well that Walsh is a genius. He plays badly? MDA in player with no D shocker. Again there's a distinct lack of parity in this scenario, wouldn't you say?

We'll revist it in 7 years will we? Okay, by that time you may have matured and realised what perspective is. I look forward to it.

AGAIN. People might think you're a fool, but when you open your mouth you remove all doubt.

English was invented on the NW of coast of Europe and brought (with the Anglo/Saxons) to England.

Second, I've read the Anabasis... and again... I don't dislike or disdain Euro-style... I just know it doesn't work in the NBA. So, again... try to stay in context. You jump to conclusions too quickly. Keep it to basketball. I have relatives in England and lived in Italy.

Just face it... you like MD, I do not. You like his style, I do not. Leave it alone. We'll see what opinion proves to be right... time will tell...

As Xenophon wrote: "Liberty?it is a thing which, be well assured, I would choose in preference to all my other possessions, multiplied many times. But I would like you to know into what sort of struggle you are going: learn its nature from one who knows. Their numbers are great, and they come on with much noise; but if you can hold out against these two things, I confess I am ashamed to think, what a sorry set of folk you will find the inhabitants of this land to be."

He might as well have said this about MD lovers.

STAT1

Starter
But yeah... "blame" MDA for the Knicks losing to the Pacers tonight. How about you give him more than 11 games for the Knicks to gel. Clueless as clueless can be when it comes to MDA & the Knicks.

Take a chill pill & look at some boobs like I'm doing. It'll make you feel better fam. :beer:

iSaYughh

Starter
Terrible coaches who have success in the regular season aresuccesful because of talent. Nothing else!
How can anybody be satisfied with progression alone?

As a casual, here is the little knowledge I do know:

Boris Diaw, Raja Bell, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion (isn't that like the entire PHO team? idk),

had their careers revitalized, developed, or maximized...after coming *to* D'antoni, or having been drafted *under* him.

D'ant created a HOF'er on the wrong side of 30, developed a few all-star players from youth, turned speculative role players and cast-offs into playoff caliber starters and decorated NBA players, and had defensive players beast under his system and coaching like they never had...and never have had since.

Also, "progression", aka the only way to improve/get better/become a champion...is the best metric if a team on the rise, under a good coach. Perfection and quick fixes only happens in magic tricks, dreams, and quality infomercial products -- neither of which are actually real.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
SSOL is more like euro-ball, and most usually seen there. But there is nothing to SSOL that inhibits having QUALITY size, like in the NBA. Your GM either gets it for you; or he doesn't. And you then have choice to play them.

Most generally, and most accurately too, SSOL is just about pressuring a team, being ungame'plannable for opposing teams, take them out of comfort zone; and having good ball movement, smart/unselfish but aggressed/in-shape players, and at least a couple people who have range.

Nothing to do with being mutually exclusive with nasty defensive players, or quality big men.

Our "size" has truly been a perpetual all-time bust (Darko) on a 1yr deal, and the multi-year project of Randolph. Who may really be closer to a sf than a NBA C at this point. And regardless was pure trade bait who had an important value to be preserved (perhaps even at the expense of being developed). But either way,

We truly have had no legit, quality size where you can say, MDA hates big players. If he really did, I doubt we bring back Isiah Thomas disgrace Jeffries...and play him so much

Or Walsh brings in D-Leauger The Barron...and MDA starts him for the final stretch of last year.

Quality size IS very important. It's also relatively rare, and such, it isn't easy to quickly acquire and get.

If you think we had Nene Hillario, and D'ant wouldn't start him...that he wouldn't play great here...idk, it's a crossroads of opinion that just can't be definitely crossed until anyone even approaching NeneH status comes here (by Walsh's moves) and we see what happens.

It used to be said in "soccer" that the soccer version of SSOL employed by Barcelona couldn't work. You had to be able to defend in all areas. Well Barca perfected their SSOL from player 1-11 and they are now the best side in the world.

People fear change and innovation but it isn't always right to do so.

I only bring up soccer because the way you described SSOL above is exactly Barca's belief other than of course they don't try and score in 7 seconds or less (not that Messi can't).

mafra

Legend

That may be true. I just know that I've read MD prefers a CENTER who can shoot the jumper, b/c he wants to lure the defensive big away from the middle... opening up some space to work with. Hence, the rumors that MD-Kerr were at odds over the SHAQ deal.

As for Darko, he is not gasol... but did we really give him an honest look? We were going nowhere last year, yet he could play harringotn but not Darko? The same with AR this year. I KNOW WALSH was ticked MD never gave him a chance, so much so it might be the reason MD gets fired after the season.

I think if we can get Marc Gasol, or if MD had the other Gasol... He would play them. As you said, quality size is better than just size. This is why they drafted his godson over Gordon. 6"10' is better than 6"4'.

I know I'm hard on MD. I never wanetd him here. Sure, he's yet to really disappoint... but so far... He's also failed to even give us slightly more than we provided him with. Meanining what exactly right? Nada mucho.

I just would like to see him get more with less just one season. I guess that starts with a playoff win. AND, even if he losses (as long as we aint swept)... He might even be given 1 more shot. But, if we go another 40-win seasons and first round exit after next season... Then you have to admit MD failed.

STAT1

Starter
Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by STAT1
That Hansbrough dunk just put an exclamation point on this pathetic game. STAT threw one down & posed on the other end for what reason I have no idea probably because he was angry he just got dunked on, but really he should be ashamed of the effort he put forth tonight on the defensive end as should every other member of this team.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Pathetic series of plays. The only thing worse than Hans' dunk, was Amare's reaction.

Still a new, yet again n?wly assembled team....but the *need* --not want -- for a nasty, vocal defensive stalwart (Perkins, eg), or D'ant to do what he can to embody that as coach...is growing.

My fear is im not sure it's in D'antoni, so we need a player or two like that. Nothing to do with defense directly, per say, even...but he is too much of a players' coach in many ways, and hands-off in this respect, in replicating the effect that a guy like Perkins can have on the entire team,

My making them feel and seem like punks if they don't show nasty intensity and desire for D (two of the biggest things to be good at D); and thus inspiring them to step it up.

I completely agree, we need a nasty enforcer in the paint in the worst way imaginable. Ronnie Turiaf is more comedy relief than he is nasty, he's never going to command the type of respect on the team that a guy like Kenyon Martin would for example even though he does dish out some hard fouls in the paint. A Kendrick Perkins type acquisition is really what this team needs more than anything, someone who like you just said will be able to challenge his teammates in a huddle to step up their effort defensively & stop allowing wide open lanes to the paint for easy baskets. It's too bad Amare isn't stepping up on defense because really he's got it in him to be that type of enforcer that we need if he ever set his mind to it. & He definitely commands the respect of his teammates to inspire that same level of play from other guys. During tonight's game I saw him pumping up Ronnie Turiaf while they were making their run in the 4th quarter to get the deficit down to 10, & Ronnie pressed the Pacers into making a turnover on the very next possession. I still have my doubts concering MDA's philosophy but having a player like this on the roster would be a huge help.

mafra

Legend
As a casual, here is the little knowledge I do know:

Boris Diaw, Raja Bell, Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion (isn't that like the entire PHO team? idk),

had their careers revitalized, developed, or maximized...after coming *to* D'antoni, or having been drafted *under* him.

D'ant created a HOF'er on the wrong side of 30, developed a few all-star players from youth, turned speculative role players and cast-offs into playoff caliber starters and decorated NBA players, and had defensive players beast under his system and coaching like they never had...and never have had since.

Also, "progression", aka the only way to improve/get better/become a champion...is the best metric if a team on the rise, under a good coach. Perfection and quick fixes only happens in magic tricks, dreams, and quality infomercial products -- neither of which are actually real.

THE SSOL aint nothing new... SHOWTIME Lakers ran a variation of it in the 80s. Notice how qucikly Riley altered his approach when he arrived in NY? Instantly went to a grind-it-out defensive-minded system. Would we have given Riley 3 years to work out the kinks?

This is what I'm getting at. WHO CARES ABOUT PHO? We're close to 3 seasons removed. We can't fire the players. Fair or not, MD is on the hot seat.

I completely agree, we need a nasty enforcer in the paint in the worst way imaginable. Ronnie Turiaf is more comedy relief than he is nasty, he's never going to command the type of respect on the team that a guy like Kenyon Martin would for example even though he does dish out some hard fouls in the paint. A Kendrick Perkins type acquisition is really what this team needs more than anything, someone who like you just said will be able to challenge his teammates in a huddle to step up their effort defensively & stop allowing wide open lanes to the paint for easy baskets. It's too bad Amare isn't stepping up on defense because really he's got it in him to be that type of enforcer that we need if he ever set his mind to it. & He definitely commands the respect of his teammates to inspire that same level of play from other guys. During tonight's game I saw him pumping up Ronnie Turiaf while they were making their run in the 4th quarter to get the deficit down to 10, & Ronnie pressed the Pacers into making a turnover on the very next possession. I still have my doubts concering MDA's philosophy but having a player like this on the roster would be a huge help.

I agree, but the only problem is MDA playing that type of player...

iSaYughh

Starter
It used to be said in "soccer" that the soccer version of SSOL employed by Barcelona couldn't work. You had to be able to defend in all areas. Well Barca perfected their SSOL from player 1-11 and they are now the best side in the world.

People fear change and innovation but it isn't always right to do so.

I only bring up soccer because the way you described SSOL above is exactly Barca's belief other than of course they don't try and score in 7 seconds or less (not that Messi can't).

I didn't know that about Barcelona, but that's very interesting to know about.

It also makes perfect sense from a game theory perspective. Which I do know about. :afro:

Same in poker, too, really. There is a style of play, generally deemed "LAG" (aka loose-aggressive). People who played it early on where deemed morons.

In fact, they were deemed perpetual, invariable losers who could never truly win and be winning players in the end.

Most people played a different way, that clashed horribly with theirs.

Over time, and relatively quick time, LAG redefined the game, and those to be the biggest morons laughed all the way to the bank, and laughed more often than anyone else. To the point where now now every winning poker player basically plays out of it's page book.

Incidentally, "LAG" still baffles people, or has a tendency to do so, especially ignorant players, which is to say most people who gamble. And the same biggest winners in every game are most often considered morons, and reckless, who can't even comprehend basic strategy and what is needed to win.

Anecdotes aside, I do believe a form of this is happening with SSOL and the NBA. The good thing is that, in the NBA, it is really in no way mutually exclusive with having big men or defensive beasts, or anything really. (hint: it hasn't been. Even just looking at PHO...Marion beast defensive wizard; Amare, all-star center, whose killer jumper isn't *that* long-held of a weapon for him).

Just get the best players.

Seeing as what MDA has done with players in PHO, and here, of whom he has started/given minutes too...

I'm confident he (MDA) will do a fine job with the players (Donnie Walsh) brings in, and who he plays.

D'antoni needs better assistants, but it's not for defensive, per say...so much as simple in-game coaching and situational plays.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
AGAIN. People might think you're a fool, but when you open your mouth you remove all doubt.

English was invented on the NW of coast of Europe and brought (with the Anglo/Saxons) to England.

Second, I've read the Anabasis... and again... I don't dislike or disdain Euro-style... I just know it doesn't work in the NBA. So, again... try to stay in context. You jump to conclusions too quickly. Keep it to basketball. I have relatives in England and lived in Italy.

Just face it... you like MD, I do not. You like his style, I do not. Leave it alone. We'll see what opinion proves to be right... time will tell...

As Xenophon wrote: "Liberty?it is a thing which, be well assured, I would choose in preference to all my other possessions, multiplied many times. But I would like you to know into what sort of struggle you are going: learn its nature from one who knows. Their numbers are great, and they come on with much noise; but if you can hold out against these two things, I confess I am ashamed to think, what a sorry set of folk you will find the inhabitants of this land to be."

He might as well have said this about MD lovers.

There you go again talking about non facts like they are facts. English wasn't brought to England, a group of languages by many different tribes were brought to England and the language evolved through the Angles and Saxons and others to eventually become English. So really, neither of us were right but I wasn't the one trying to give the history lesson. Funny to say keep it to basketball though after you've just digressed into the birth of the English Language. Practice what you preach maybe?

I've not assumed you don't have relatives in Europe, I have relatives all over the globe and live in a very cultured and cosmopolitan city. I don't see how this is relevant to you hating on MDA's style though.

As for that part in bold, at what point did I ever ask for anything but this?

Nice quote, not one I'm familiar with perhaps one that MDA would do well to read and heed its words?

Shall we just stop with the one upmanship now? I'll be honest and admit I did make a presumption that you were a bit daft but that was only on mistaking your fanatical hatred of MDA for a lack of intelligence.

Passion can do different things to different people and we all have our roles to play I suppose. All I'd ask now that you've show yourself to be educated is to try and respond as such to MDA criticism and not get dragged down by the witchhunt which you clearly can show yourself above.

STAT1

Starter
THE SSOL aint nothing new... SHOWTIME Lakers ran a variation of it in the 80s. Notice how qucikly Riley altered his approach when he arrived in NY? Instantly went to a grind-it-out defensive-minded system. Would we have given Riley 3 years to work out the kinks?

This is what I'm getting at. WHO CARES ABOUT PHO? We're close to 3 seasons removed. We can't fire the players. Fair or not, MD is on the hot seat.

Rick Pitino's Knicks ran a high octane uptempo offensive style of play & Don Nelson wanted to move towards playing that style of ball too when he was coaching this team. Pat Riley was able to adjust his system to the personnel he had on the roster. Switching from Showtime Lakers to Bad Boy Bully Knicks was as impressive a job as any head coach has ever done for this franchise even though he never won a title with the Knicks he got us closer than we've been in over 2 decades. I would very much like to see MDA follow this same philosophy & adapt his SSOL system to the personnel he's got to work with now on his roster. Slowing down the pace & going to more halfcourt style game is more conducive to the players we now have, & we saw a little of that in a couple recent games we've won, & we've seen the same high octane SSOL style of play with little focus on playing defense in others.

STAT1

Starter
I agree, but the only problem is MDA playing that type of player...

I think if we got a player like Kendrick Perkins who would be able to watch Amare & Melo's backs & regulate on the floor, MDA would have to play him. No head coach likes to see his star players get beat on in games. The problem is that player needs to be good in order to command the type of respect in the huddle that you need to inspire others to up the level of their play. There's not that many of those types of players available out there for us to get, or even be able to get because of the CBA conditions the way they are.

Call me crazy for suggesting it but Ron Artest would be a perfect fit on this Knicks team since MDA likes to go small anyway he's the type of player that would command respect in the huddle from guys because everyone knows he takes no crap from anyone (unless it's an angry Ben Wallace that is) ;P hmmm, Ben Wallace wouldn't be bad either for that matter...