Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Thread: Basketball Champions Offensive and Defensive ratings (last 15 years)

Musk, we were outrebounded by the pacers. we had more steals and more blocks than indi. The intensity is there, but if we dont have a centre, we dont stand a chance.

Past 20 years, no nba title was won without a good 5 man

how can you spend so much time comparing championship coaches and just neglect the players?

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

Everyone knows the Knicks need to improve on defense. Why do you think I'm praying for one of Gasol, Jordan, Nene or Dalembert? Because they would improve our defense by leaps & bounds. I know enough about the game of basketball, to know that a front-line of JJ, Amare, Turiaf & Shelden will never get it done. Not even if you have another superstar like Melo on the team.

Inorder to land either Gasol or Jordan this year, we'll have to do one of two things.

1) Let Billups walk. We can't afford a BIG man when Billups is due I believe 12M next season. Douglas is not the type of offensive leader @ the Point that Billups is, but TD is 10x the defender that an aging Billups could ever be. Advantage Knicks defense.

Move Turiaf during the offseason if he decides to pick up his player-option. That would leave us 4M to land another BIG for cheap such as Camby.

C- Jordan
    PF- Amare
    SF- Carmelo
    SG- Fields
    PG- Douglas

Thats a top 10 defensive starting 5 right there. MDA never had a chance with NY. Never.

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

On a side note: since guys like Musk wanna judge MDA on his body of work in PHX & say stuff like...

"he'll never form a top 10 defense in NY, all because he failed to so do in NY"..

Well, then... I guess it's safe to say that MDA will lead the Knicks to the playoffs 4 consecutive years in a row with 54+ W's, career winning % of .650 after 5 years & take us to the Western Conf Finals two times. I mean, lets be honest here... He did it with PHX so it's a known; given fact & a gurantee that he'll lead the Knicks to two Easten Conf Finals.

I'll take it. Because he won't be running into a Dynasty Spurs team. Not here in the East.

I'm being sarcastic, but thats how much sense your arguments make...

Originally Posted by Toons
    Musk, we were outrebounded by the pacers. we had more steals and more blocks than indi. The intensity is there, but if we dont have a centre, we dont stand a chance.

Past 20 years, no nba title was won without a good 5 man
    Thats no excuse, we outrebounded them last game and we still lost.

Superstar

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    On a side note: since guys like Musk wanna judge MDA on his body of work in PHX & say stuff like...

"he'll never form a top 10 defense in NY, all because he failed to so do in NY"..

Well, then... I guess it's safe to say that MDA will lead the Knicks to the playoffs 4 consecutive years in a row with 54+ W's, career winning % of .650 after 5 years & take us to the Western Conf Finals two times. I mean, lets be honest here... He did it with PHX so it's a known; given fact & a gurantee that he'll lead the Knicks to two Easten Conf Finals.

I'll take it. Because he won't be running into a Dynasty Spurs team. Not here in the East.

I'm being sarcastic, but thats how much sense your arguments make...
    I want a center, but you guys act like everything is going to be rainbows and championships should we get one. Give us a championship. We got Samuel Dalambert!!!! We are the best team in the world! Hallelueja!

No. Just no.

Look at the Clippers. Deandre Jordan. A guy we'd like to have. Blake Griffin is very simliar to Amar'e, except he boards. Essentially those two guys should solve the problems you guys so like to use as excuses instead of placing blame squarely where it falls: MDA. They both board, and one is a 7'0'' shot blocker.

They don't play defense and they are where they are:105.7 (21st of 30) ▪ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]: 109.0 (19th of 30). I would imagine, with our coach, we would be right around the 17th mark.

When in the world have I downplayed player contribution??? I never have. I just know that even with a center we still need defensive strategies... strategies that MDA can't come up with (See last night). We got burned by the same pick and roll played that the Pacers killed us with on Sunday, and Cleveland slaughtered us with the week before. MDA didn't make any adjustments.

A center does not solve our problems... It helps, but we have more major issues.
    Last edited by MusketeerX; Mar 16, 2011 at 10:55.

Veteran

Just like the old adage says: Offense wins games, DEFENSE wins championships. I will add the offense sells tickets, which seems what our Knicks are are more concerned about at this time that winning. Lookit, its gonna take some time for these guys to learn to play good team defense, as none of our frontliners are known to play good defense. We knew that when we got STAT/MELO. Having a "European" coach that doesn't care about defense doesn't help matters either. But at this point in the season it is what it is. We just need get in the playoffs and see what happens...

Originally Posted by AmareForPresident
    Thats no excuse, we outrebounded them last game and we still lost.
    damn, i had to check that.....its rare, but u do have a point.
    ur right.....man, losing hurts bro
    we need a defensive big man, and a defensive coach
    idc what gets addressed first
    once they address both issues

we shot 48% from 3, and lost. this wont work

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by Toons
    damn, i had to check that.....its rare, but u do have a point.
    ur right.....man, losing hurts bro
    we need a defensive big man, and a defensive coach
    idc what gets addressed first
    once they address both issues
    im glad ur comin around... and stopped takin up for this bum.. he is the reason why we dont have a center.. because he plays small ball...

Exclamation Bumped... this is a great thread

Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    I want a center, but you guys act like everything is going to be rainbows and championships should we get one. Give us a championship. We got Samuel Dalambert!!!! We are the best team in the world! Hallelueja!

No. Just no.

Look at the Clippers. Deandre Jordan. A guy we'd like to have. Blake Griffin is very simliar to Amar'e, except he boards. Essentially those two guys should solve the problems you guys so like to use as excuses instead of placing blame squarely where it falls: MDA. They both board, and one is a 7'0'' shot blocker.

They don't play defense and they are where they are:105.7 (21st of 30) ▪ [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]: 109.0 (19th of 30). I would imagine, with our coach, we would be right around the 17th mark.

When in the world have I downplayed player contribution??? I never have. I just know that even with a center we still need defensive strategies... strategies that MDA can't come up with (See last night). We got burned by the same pick and roll played that the Pacers killed us with on Sunday, and Cleveland slaughtered us with the week before. MDA didn't make any adjustments.

A center does not solve our problems... It helps, but we have more major issues.
    I will mention our need to first replace D'Antoni every chance I get, get use to it.

Before we move forward, and try and acquire a PG or a C, replace Mike D'Antoni.

We don't want anymore, one dimensional players, specific to this system.

Two way players only.

no offense but a Shawn Williams, or Jeffries, or any one who can't demonstrate an ability to both play D and perform on the offensive end, CANNOT BE ON THIS TEAM.

When we prospect who we get in the future, if this guy can't play defense, he shouldn't be on our team, and that message of just be able to shoot threes shouldn't be sent out. It was because of our coach- which lead us to squander player opportunities that we can no longer afford.

Establish a defensive culture, start by firing Mike D'Antoni.