After seeing this new team live, it is incredibly obvious ... WE need A new Coach.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Dude... No Ewing. Took them to the Finals... MDA had Nash and Amar'e, a great supporting cast and couldn't make it into the finals. MDA should have a false idol that looks like Jeff Van Gundy.

Yes, I heard ya no Ewing but he did have Camby, Larry Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas and All Houston, not to mention Childs.... What team has the luxury of losing their star Center and has Camby on the bench????
You make it sound like Ewing went out and he had scrubs left over to save the season with... I would take that team over our current roster!

This should be the Knicks next Head Coach. He's currently an asst with the Wolves. Rambis may be in trouble so if we want him we gotta act fast...

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="610"><tbody><tr><td class="cBTopPlayerInfoNotes" colspan="3" height="15"> Coach Bio
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="cBSidePlayerInfoNotes" width="0" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial;" align="left" height="100%" valign="top" width="100%"> <table align="left" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="70"> <tbody><tr> <td>
bill_laimbeer.jpg
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Bill Laimbeer
College - Notre Dame
Bill Laimbeer has set the standard for WNBA coaches and executives since taking over the Detroit Shock during the 2002 season.

In just seven seasons Laimbeer has amassed the most postseason wins (27) and WNBA Finals victories (10) in league history. His six consecutive playoff appearances are tied for second most all-time. A three-time WNBA champion (2003, 2006 and 2008), Laimbeer is one shy of the record held by Hall of Fame coach Van Chancellor, who guided Houston to the first four WNBA titles (1997-2000).

In his first full season as head coach Laimbeer orchestrated a historic worst-to-first turnaround, for which he was named 2003 WNBA Coach of the Year. The Shock, 9-23 a year earlier, won a league-best 25 games. The 16-win improvement is the largest in WNBA history. In the Finals Detroit defeated two-time defending champion Los Angeles Sparks, 2-1.

Laimbeer has instilled the belief in his players that reaching the WNBA Finals should be an expectation, not an accomplishment. The Shock have responded by winning the past three Eastern Conference championships (2006-08). Emphasizing a strong regular-season record to secure homecourt advantage for the postseason, Laimbeer’s 136 victories ranks fifth all-time in WNBA history.

The Shock have exhibited remarkable resiliency under Laimbeer when the stakes have been highest. Trailing the defending champion Sacramento Monarchs in the 2006 finals, the Shock won Game 4 in Sacramento and Game 5 at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit to clinch their second championship.

Two years later – fueled by the memories of a five-game series defeat to the Phoenix Mercury in 2007 – the Shock swept the San Antonio Silver Stars, 3-0. Laimbeer directed the Shock to a third championship despite a season-ending knee injury to All-Star forward Cheryl Ford in July and a severe shoulder injury that kept 2007 Sixth Woman of the Year Plenette Pierson out of Game 1 at San Antonio. In the regular season the Silver Stars won a league-best 24 games without losing once to an Eastern Conference team.

Detroit’s title chances were boosted following Ford’s injury by the acquisition of six-time All-Star forward Taj McWilliams-Franklin. It was the latest in a series of bold midseason trades that has made Laimbeer one of the WNBA’s most respected general managers. In separate trades during the 2005 season he acquired Pierson and guard Katie Smith, the 2008 Finals MVP and all-time leading scorer in U.S. women’s professional basketball.

Laimbeer has proven to be an astute talent evaluator willing to make tough decisions. He was responsible for drafting Ford, the 2003 Rookie of the Year, and acquiring 2003 Finals MVP Ruth Riley in the 2003 WNBA dispersal draft from the defunct Miami Sol. Laimbeer traded Riley in 2007 and fellow ’03 cornerstone Swin Cash the next season. Both moves provided youth and roster flexibility essential to the Shock’s continued success. In fact, only All-WNBA guard Deanna Nolan, Elaine Powell and Ford have been on all three championship teams.

The Shock were winless after 10 games when Laimbeer assumed head coaching duties on June 19, 2002, despite no professional coaching experience. He quickly employed a more aggressive philosophy – akin to his reputation as a hardnosed player after 14 NBA seasons – and the Shock finished above .500 over the final 15 games (8-7). The Shock began to attack the basket, increasing their trips to the foul line while shooting fewer 3-pointers. The Shock also became a better rebounding team, grabbing nearly nine more per game after Laimbeer took over (36.4 rpg/ 27.8). Detroit would expect nothing less from a team coached by the Pistons’ all-time rebounding leader.

A four-time All-Star center (1983-85, 1987) Laimbeer led the entire NBA in rebounding during the 1985-86 season (13.1 rpg). He totaled 13,790 points and 10,400 rebounds in his career, making him the 19th player in NBA history to reach 10,000 in both categories. Laimbeer grabbed 9,430 rebounds with the Pistons between 1982 and 1993 – nearly 1,400 ahead of No. 2 on the franchise list, Hall of Fame center Bob Lanier.

Laimbeer’s physicality agitated his opponents and even opposing fans. It endeared him to the Pistons faithful when the “Bad Boys” won back-to-back NBA championships in 1989 and 1990. In 113 playoff games with Detroit. Laimbeer averaged 12.0 points and 9.7 rebounds. The Pistons went 71-42 (.628) in the playoffs with him at center.

Laimbeer retired 11 games into his 14th NBA season on Dec. 1, 1993 with career averages of 12.9 points and 9.7 rebounds. He wore his Pistons jersey – and ‘the black hat,’ as he called it, of being the NBA’s favorite villain – 1,181 times, including playoffs. For one stretch Laimbeer played in 685 consecutive games, one of the longest streaks in league history. He collected more defensive rebounds than anyone between 1982-1990.

Laimbeer’s No. 40 became one of six jersey numbers retired by the Pistons on Feb. 4, 1995. He was named to the Pistons’ All-Time Team on Apr. 9, 2008.

Laimbeer’s NBA career began with the Cleveland Cavaliers, who drafted him in the third round (65th overall) in the 1979 draft. He was traded to Detroit in a multiplayer deal prior to the NBA trade deadline on Feb. 16, 1982. He played college ball at Notre Dame, where his top-seeded Fighting Irish lost to the No. 2 seed and eventual NCAA champion Michigan State, starring Magic Johnson and Greg Kelser, in the 1979 Elite Eight. Laimbeer graduated with a degree in economics.

Reasons to want Laimbeer as Pistons coach

• He’s one of the most intelligent players to play the game. As a guy who was never the biggest, fastest or most athletic player on the court, and he wasn’t even close in some matchups, he got more out of his talent than perhaps any player of his era. He did this by seeing the entire floor, understanding angles when it came to rebounding and using his body exceedingly well to gain advantages in positioning, keep defenders off balance and provide effective rebounding and efficient scoring. Basketball intelligence and rebounding are certainly areas where he could improve the Pistons’ young players immediately.
  • Judging by the record of the Timberwolves, the lack of on-court success of that team isn’t going to do him any favors. But if you look at the T-Wolves big men, who have no doubt worked with Laimbeer extensively, that could be where his real value is. If he could help Greg Monroe make a leap at some point like Kevin Love has made from his rookie season to now, it might be worth talking to Laimbeer about a coaching position should one open up.
  • Fair or not, often in NBA locker rooms, veteran players who have won titles don’t have a lot of patience for coaches who were not great players themselves or who were not a part of title winning teams either as a key player or head coach. Laimbeer’s two rings as a player with the Pistons would give him a credibility Flip Saunders, Michael Curry and John Kuester have not had. For those coaches, having to coax veteran players who won a title by being headstrong and doing things a certain way is no easy task considering none of the three post-Larry Brown coaches had titles themselves as head coaches or players. Perhaps Laimbeer would have more success dealing with players who are set in their ways.
  • He’s vocal. Communication issues plagued both Curry and Kuester. I have little doubt that players would know where they stand with Laimbeer. They might still hate him every bit as much for his honesty as they hated Curry and Kuester for trying to avoid conflict, but if the players are demanding a better communicator, Laimbeer would clearly explain what he wants from them.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Last edited:

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Yes, I heard ya no Ewing but he did have Camby, Larry Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas and All Houston, not to mention Childs.... What team has the luxury of losing their star Center and has Camby on the bench????
You make it sound like Ewing went out and he had scrubs left over to save the season with...

I understand... but he made it to the FINALS. W/O his star player. MDA could never do the same. JVG > D'Antoni on any level. I just looked up the stats... his team was 3rd in Def and 26 in offense. Goes to show my prior thread is correct. Defense gives you the best shot at winning a ring. No Ewing and he got them to the finals. Could you imagine if he had Melo on the team??? Amar'e???? JVG would get us there.

Congrats to JVG for leading NY to the Finals during the years of an extremely weak Eastern Conf after MJ left & CHI died. Who did JVG lose to? The Spurs. Sound like MDA? With or without an aging #33; we were getting dominated that series regardless.

Were Riley & Ewing career losers? No. It's simple; they couldn't get past Jackson, or the CHI dynasty. Same happened to MDA. Couldn't get past Duncan & the Dynasty Spurs. SA was a Dynasty long before MDA took over PHX in 03. Still doesn't change the fact the MDA eliminated Kobe & the LAKERS during two consecutive trips to the playoffs.

You all SERIOUSLY wanna talk about the "roster" that MDA had with PHX? Like really? Clueless much? MDA is only 1 of 3 NBA coaches, of all time; to lead a 50 loss team the year before... to a 60+ win team the following season. PHX was nothing before MDA but that never stopped him from 2 Conf Final apperances, 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with a career winning % of .650 inside an EXTREMELY tough Western Conf.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
I understand... but he made it to the FINALS. W/O his star player. MDA could never do the same. JVG > D'Antoni on any level. I just looked up the stats... his team was 3rd in Def and 26 in offense. Goes to show my prior thread is correct. Defense gives you the best shot at winning a ring. No Ewing and he got them to the finals. Could you imagine if he had Melo on the team??? Amar'e???? JVG would get us there.

AMARE AND MELO DO NOT PLAY D!! You know, I listen to ESPN radio and hear the frustration in the voices of the hosts when they deal with this same subject. People calling up with the same argument and they go through the same drill.... I totally understand their frustration! Neither STAT nor Melo has ever played D effectively or consistently. Karl was frustrated as hell with Melo and tired year after year to get Melo to improve on his D.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
AMARE AND MELO DO NOT PLAY D!! You know, I listen to ESPN radio and hear the frustration in the voices of the hosts when they deal with this same subject. People calling up with the same argument and they go through the same drill.... I totally understand their frustration! Neither STAT nor Melo has ever played D effectively or consistently. Karl was frustrated as hell with Melo and tired year after year to get Melo to improve on his D.

Look at my other thread re last 15 championship teams. The numbers are clear. A great D coach will make a team better. JVG would make us a top 4 team with this lineup.

MDA led PHX from 50 L's to 60+ the next year. .650 win %, 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with 54+ W's. 2 years of 60+ W's. Eliminated LAL 2 times. Split with DAL 4-4 (1-1). Swept Memphis & beat LAC in 7. Lost to SA 3 times. Who hasn't? lol @ "Laimbeer". What has HE ever done as an NBA (HEAD COACH)? Nothing

What a "great head coach" he was for a WNBA (girls) league. lmao.

Wanna talk about his "WNBA" days? Why not talk about MDA's coaching career in Europe? 2x Italian League champion. 1x Korac cup title. 1x cup of Italy.

Lets not act like Laimbeer was the only coach, of the two, who grew up playing the game of basketball. Mike D'Antoni played for the KC Omaha Kings from 73-76, Spirits of St.Louis (ABA) in 76 & had a short stint with the Spurs before leaving for Europe. Became Olimpia Milano's All-Time leading scorer & voted as the Italian leagues GREATEST PG of All-Time. As a player he LED his teams to 5 Italian league championships, 2 European championships, 1 Korac Cup Title & 1 Intercontinetal cup..

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Congrats to JVG for leading NY to the Finals during the years of an extremely weak Eastern Conf after MJ left & CHI died. Who did JVG lose to? The Spurs. Sound like MDA? With or without an aging #33; we were getting dominated that series regardless.

Were Riley & Ewing career losers? No. It's simple; they couldn't get past Jackson, or the CHI dynasty. Same happened to MDA. Couldn't get past Duncan & the Dynasty Spurs. SA was a Dynasty long before MDA took over PHX in 03. Still doesn't change the fact the MDA eliminated Kobe & the LAKERS during two consecutive trips to the playoffs.

You all SERIOUSLY wanna talk about the "roster" that MDA had with PHX? Like really? Clueless much? MDA is only 1 of 3 NBA coaches, of all time; to lead a 50 loss team the year before... to a 60+ win team the following season. PHX was nothing before MDA but that never stopped him from 2 Conf Final apperances, 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs with a career winning % of .650 inside an EXTREMELY tough Western Conf.

Exactly!!
Excellent post!

Riley as 5 rings as head coach. With who? Kareem, Magic & LA?

How many times did Riley beat Jackson & the Bulls? How many rings did Riley bring to NY? 0.

Just like Ewing & Riley could NEVER get past Jordan, Jackson & the CHI Dynasty... MDA & PHX could never get past Duncan & the Spurs dynasty. Lost to SA 3 times. If not for SA... MDA could have 3 championships. You'd be singing a "different" tune right now.

How many rings would Riley, Ewing, Oakley, Mason & Starks have won in NY... If not for MJ, Pippen, Armstrong, Rodman, Phil Jackson & the Bulls? Alot more that ZERO! Hell, Riley was such a great coach during his LA days, but yet; failed to lead NY to a title back in 94 against Hakeem & the Rockets. Did Riley "suck" with the Knicks? The way you look @ sports, according to 'your views' Ewing & Riley were... Career losers. Pathetic.

Spit on MDA for his PHX teams losing to SA DYNASTYS, but yet; IGNORE how PHX DOMINATED Kobe & the LAKER$ 4-1 in 5 & ALSO eliminated Kobe & the Lakers during a PRESSURE GM 7.

The worst types of sporting fans in the world are the types who love you when your up but kick you when your down. Those are the types of "fans" who consider you a career loser unless you have a championship ring to show off. Two words: Team game. Dynasty TEAMS will always murder a great COACH.

Was Dan Marino a "career loser" or were the Dolphins the real losers?

Is Rex Ryan a horrible coach because the Jets failed to reach the SB after two consecutive seasons of AFC Championship loses? Does this mean Rex & Sanchez will "never" win a ring? Should NY just fire Rex for a former NFL player who won championships in the arena football league with 0 NFL experience as a head coach?

Are Ewing & Riley career losers in NEW YORK because they both failed to win this city a title even though Jordan & the Bulls dominated the entire league during the 90's?

Was Bill Parcells a career loser with the Jets after leading us from a 1-15 season in 96, to 9-7 in 97, to an AFC Championship game loss against Elway & the Broncos?

OakTree

Rookie
How come this topic can't be discussed as MDA being or not being the RIGHT COACH for the NEW YORK KNICKS?

The thread starter says just that and then there's the usual roundabout: a couple of suggestions come up... people hate on this coach and that coach... and we end with statistical comparisons, conjecture, and analogies--and everything basically leads to Coach Mike's capabilities, which are undoubtedly solid, but may possibly not necessarily lead to success with New York.

This argument will get nowhere unless it's scoped down to why or why not Mike D'Antoni and his system will work with the Knicks.

Oh and people really ought to start getting off them high horses; straddling a saddle for too long causes ball cancer and what not.

BTW, as a corollary. Say we did change the coaching crew; is that necessarily a good thing going into the playoffs (assuming we still make it)?

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Riley as 5 rings as head coach. With who? Kareem, Magic & LA?

How many times did Riley beat Jackson & the Bulls? How many rings did Riley bring to NY? 0.

Just like Ewing & Riley could NEVER get past Jordan, Jackson & the CHI Dynasty... MDA & PHX could never get past Duncan & the Spurs dynasty. Lost to SA 3 times. If not for SA... MDA could have 3 championships. You'd be singing a "different" tune right now.

How many rings would Riley, Ewing, Oakley, Mason & Starks have won in NY... If not for MJ, Pippen, Armstrong, Rodman, Phil Jackson & the Bulls? Alot more that ZERO! Hell, Riley was such a great coach during his LA days, but yet; failed to lead NY to a title back in 94 against Hakeem & the Rockets. Did Riley "suck" with the Knicks? The way you look @ sports, according to 'your views' Ewing & Riley were... Career losers. Pathetic.

Spit on MDA for his PHX teams losing to SA DYNASTYS, but yet; IGNORE how PHX DOMINATED Kobe & the LAKER$ 4-1 in 5 & ALSO eliminated Kobe & the Lakers during a PRESSURE GM 7.

Dude if MDA could have won with his offense first, middle of the pack D, it would have been an anomaly. You can create a world on "ifs." i will stick with reality. Riley made it to the finals. There is a huge difference between what he did and what D'Antoni did.

MDA's style is not feasible for a good chance at winning championships. JVG and Pat Riley's was... see my other thread.

You are hoping for an anomaly to happen. Catch lightning in a bottle. I'm not willing to take that chance. This isn't kicking a team when its down... its recognizing a problem. If it were up to you, you would never have gotten rid of Vinnie Del Negro, and the Bulls wouldn't have Tommy as head coach.

And OakTree has it right. This team is no longer set up for MDA. As I said a few posts before. This is a bad mix for him.

CoolClyde

Mark F*cking Action Jackson

i'd rather have an unproven Mark Jackson coach than Antoni.
I wanted him before Antoni was hired, and I still think he'd do a better job.

good first person reporting DFDH.
that's exactly how I feel about our head-case coach.

Jefferies.... SMFH
loser_toni.jpg

la2ny

Starter
I never thought Mike was the right Coach for The Knicks. THIS TEAM isn't the right fit for him.

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
Dude if MDA could have won with his offense first, middle of the pack D, it would have been an anomaly. You can create a world on "ifs." i will stick with reality. Riley made it to the finals. There is a huge difference between what he did and what D'Antoni did.

MDA's style is not feasible for a good chance at winning championships. JVG and Pat Riley's was... see my other thread.

You are hoping for an anomaly to happen. Catch lightning in a bottle. I'm not willing to take that chance. This isn't kicking a team when its down... its recognizing a problem. If it were up to you, you would never have gotten rid of Vinnie Del Negro, and the Bulls wouldn't have Tommy as head coach.

And OakTree has it right. This team is no longer set up for MDA. As I said a few posts before. This is a bad mix for him.

What I find unbelievable with you guys is that Mike D'Antoni was hired to essentially sit on his ass for 3/4 years while Walsh dumped bad salaries, got under the cap and pursued multiple star players to come too NY. This is the first season that he has some of the players he wants and then this team was gutted mid-season to bring in Melo. We have Jeffries as our center!!! Jeffires!!! This year is about getting through it with out any career ending injuries, making the playoffs if at all possible and getting to this off season to potentially bring in a 5 and then 2012 to bring in that PG (maybe). This about building this team for the future not wining this season!!! While there is talent here and they could win a series in the playoffs; it's about building up this franchise to be competitive for the next 5 years!

i'd rather have an unproven Mark Jackson coach than Antoni.
I wanted him before Antoni was hired, and I still think he'd do a better job.

good first person reporting DFDH.
that's exactly how I feel about our head-case coach.

Jefferies.... SMFH
loser_toni.jpg
After all of the idiotic stuff that i've heard mark jackson say i think he would make a horrible coach. if he'll be as good of a coach as he is an analyst, get ready for a 20 win season.

What I find unbelievable with you guys is that Mike D'Antoni was hired to essentially sit on his ass for 3/4 years while Walsh dumped bad salaries, got under the cap and pursued multiple star players to come too NY. This is the first season that he has some of the players he wants and then this team was gutted mid-season to bring in Melo. We have Jeffries as our center!!! Jeffires!!! This year is about getting through it with out any career ending injuries, making the playoffs if at all possible and getting to this off season to potentially bring in a 5 and then 2012 to bring in that PG (maybe). This about building this team for the future not wining this season!!! While there is talent here and they could win a series in the playoffs; it's about building up this franchise to be competitive for the next 5 years!

can we stop using tht excuse, its not about wins or losses for mike

that isnt why i made this thread

i never said we wont ever win with mike

i said that we need a new coach

because the habits that have become abundantly clear to all of us have to go or we will never win a championship

not win games... we can win games.. so did the suns

but we need some one who emphasizes defense as the moniker of our team or we will forever be the nuggets of the 80s.

it has nothing to do with who takes the floor

the bucks won 47 games last year with half the talent we have now, and it was with defense.

did you not see the grizzlies defense against us, thats why they will make the playoffs in the west, granted we luckily escaped with a W, but the bottom line is defense defense defense you cant say it enough, every analyst, real fan, coach and GM understands this face, thats why the lakers were like

nooooo

we will not trade bynum for melo

because hes one of the biggest shot blocking defensive presence in the league

granted we dont have a bynum, but the idea is effort

and after being at the game the other night

we are with out a doubt
the most effortless defensive team in the league.