Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 63

Thread: Another DFDH must read....I rest my case : Fire This F---ing bum.

  1. #31
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    But Pau Gasol got a max extension from the Lakers in 2009... He was only in the league like 8 years, and the cap was lower, so his max deal isn't as rich as current max deals/extensions...

    Melo getting a max extension with the Knicks makes him a max player, but Pau getting a max extension in 2009 doesn't make him a max player? The Lakers just also happen to have a Lamar Odom who's not making max money, but could certainly get it from a team in the NBA...dude's only making 8 mil behind Kobe, Pau, and Bynum...who all have Bird Rights in effect with LA...so they can go over the cap to resign them.

    LA has two max contracts on the books. They re-signed Odom in July 2009, then use Pau's Bird Rights to give him the max extension in Dec 2009, and they give Kobe his max extension in April 2010...this is all with Bynum already on the books.

    So the Lakers might be a bad example since they've maxed out two players, and I'm not sure about Bynum, there's a chance that he's maxed too considering how much he's making and how many years of service he had in 2008 when he got re-upped.

    I think a more accurate version of what you want is Dirk surrounded by people in Dallas, and LBJ surrounded by a lot of good players in Cleveland. But since those teams didn't produce rings, it's not really an option. But if your argument is against max deals, then the Lakers don't qualify.
    The Lakers got Gasol before the max contract and already had Odom, Fisher, Bynum, etc. Totally different scenario. It's not about just getting max contracts but also having the ability to surround them with talent. Our cupboards are bare and you can't argue against the fact that depth is just as important in winning championships.

    And as I've stated many times, I don't think Melo is a good complimentary player to Amare. Which is really the most important. As I've also said several times, it's not just about getting max contract players or not, it's about matching talents + keeping depth.

    If you can get multiple max contract level players that compliment each other and also surround them with solid talent and a bench, then great. But I don't believe this is what the Knicks are doing. It seems we just got a "superstar" at all costs for the sake of just getting a superstar. There were much better options than Melo, in my opinion.

  2. #32
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I not mad at D'antoni for the -1 rating for Melo and Stat because honestly we're starting from scratch with 2 stars. The Knicks best chance to have been a good team now left with Lebron to South Beach and the 2012 CBA. Also they need to play together more to figure they’re game out more.

    We all know you need at least 2 stars to win championship. The Knicks had great/decent starters but let’s be honest we blinked first in the Melo deal (mostly I blame the media for making it seem Melo was G.O.A.T). The knicks traded our starters took Denvers roleplayers and benchwarmers and people are pissed at D'antoni only?! Billups is a great but you can make a good argument that he isn’t 6 million dollars better than Felton.

    Don't get me wrong D'antoni is not a great coach. His statements after losses often prove that. His belief that a tall SF who has a good 3pt shot is better as a center than Turiaf & Sheldon Williams shows he isn't a great Coach. But lets be honest here this slump isn't just coaching its personnel as well. Why are the Knicks not trying to bring someone from the D league in? I don’t know. Why are they're rumors we're gonna resign Billups when we're gonna need every dollar possible to rebuild the roster? That’s beyond me.

    Anyhow look the cav/pacer game showed that we don't play defense..... What is new about that? The fact that any combo of 2 decent bigs can knock Stat off his game is old news as well. No what the Cav games also show that if a team has decent talent in their starting roster and bench they can out play us even without 2 good bigs. The Pacer game just was a back to back display of all the Knicks old weaknesses including their new weakness of lack of depth.

    The knicks were out coached, they played no defense, lacked overall talent, they lacked size at the C and our 2 stars still don't like to pass when doubled (a common occurrence with all non Pg stars). Yet the majority of the fans think firing the coach now will fix this?! D'antoni won't be fired until earliest next year. This year was a wrap after the trade because outside of 3-4 guys on the team the rest are rotation /bench warmers. Anyhow we just got to make 8th seed and his job will be secure and he knows it. The Knicks went from the 2010 plan to the 2012-2013 plan. Hopefully he won’t be re-signed by the Knicks.
    Last edited by Wargames; Mar 17, 2011 at 04:05.

  3. #33
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by Wargames
    I not mad at D'antoni for the -1 rating for Melo and Stat because honestly we're starting from scratch with 2 stars. The Knicks best chance to have been a good team now left with Lebron to South Beach and the 2012 CBA. Also they need to play together more to figure theyíre game out more.

    We all know you need at least 2 stars to win championship. The Knicks had great/decent starters but letís be honest we blinked first in the Melo deal (mostly I blame the media for making it seem Melo was G.O.A.T). The knicks traded our starters took Denvers roleplayers and benchwarmers and people are pissed at D'antoni only?! Billups is a great but you can make a good argument that he isnít 6 million dollars better than Felton.

    Don't get me wrong D'antoni is not a great coach. His statements after losses often prove that. His belief that a tall SF who has a good 3pt shot is better as a center than Turiaf & Sheldon Williams shows he isn't a great Coach. But lets be honest here this slump isn't just coaching its personnel as well. Why are the Knicks not trying to bring someone from the D league in? I donít know. Why are they're rumors we're gonna resign Billups when we're gonna need every dollar possible to rebuild the roster? Thatís beyond me.

    Anyhow look the cav/pacer game showed that we don't play defense..... What is new about that? The fact that any combo of 2 decent bigs can knock Stat off his game is old news as well. No what the Cav games also show that if a team has decent talent in their starting roster and bench they can out play us even without 2 good bigs. The Pacer game just was a back to back display of all the Knicks old weaknesses including their new weakness of lack of depth.

    The knicks were out coached, they played no defense, lacked overall talent, they lacked size at the C and our 2 stars still don't like to pass when doubled (a common occurrence with all non Pg stars). Yet the majority of the fans think firing the coach now will fix this?! D'antoni won't be fired until earliest next year. This year was a wrap after the trade because outside of 3-4 guys on the team the rest are rotation /bench warmers. Anyhow we just got to make 8th seed and his job will be secure and he knows it. The Knicks went from the 2010 plan to the 2012-2013 plan. Hopefully he wonít be resigned.
    D'Antoni has said he doesn't want a defensive assistant coach.

  4. #34
    Veteran Wargames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,193
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    D'Antoni has said he doesn't want a defensive assistant coach.
    Like I said he isn't a good head coach and not admitting a defensive assistant is needed is just another sign of that. However the Knicks have structural problems that will take until 2012 to fix. the Knicks traded two starters, they're 6th man and a big (Mozgov being in the deal still feels like it was done in spite) for Melo.

    So unless they're is a total collapse before this years playoff D'antoni keeps his job until his contract ends next season because Dolan and Donnie know they traded the house for Melo. Add that to all the other issue they had that I mentioned before (including the need for a pass first back-up PG) and you don't want to add finding a new coach to that.

    The Knicks took a step back with that trade however give Donnie credit he didn't take any long deals except Balkman so if they're smart they can make some moves to acquire the parts to win. Also who knows maybe the Knicks catch a break get lucky and the new CBA allows them to make more moves as well. Also lets hope the Knicks find a better coach in the 2012 post season.
    Last edited by Wargames; Mar 17, 2011 at 04:14.

  5. #35
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay
    The Lakers got Gasol before the max contract and already had Odom, Fisher, Bynum, etc. Totally different scenario. It's not about just getting max contracts but also having the ability to surround them with talent. Our cupboards are bare and you can't argue against the fact that depth is just as important in winning championships.

    And as I've stated many times, I don't think Melo is a good complimentary player to Amare. Which is really the most important. As I've also said several times, it's not just about getting max contract players or not, it's about matching talents + keeping depth.

    If you can get multiple max contract level players that compliment each other and also surround them with solid talent and a bench, then great. But I don't believe this is what the Knicks are doing. It seems we just got a "superstar" at all costs for the sake of just getting a superstar. There were much better options than Melo, in my opinion.


    I get that it's your opinion and everyone is entitled to one, but when we start debating opinions and not really stating why we have that opinion then it's not really a conversation anymore and just people saying words. I know you don't think both players complement each other, but I don't know why. I see Amar'e who's a free-throw line down player, and Melo who's a free-throw line extended player. They can coexist in an offense that puts them in their spots to operate (like the last play in Memphis when Melo is in the high post and STAT comes over and slips the screen and posts his man up near the baseline.) But the offense as it's currently constructed really doesn't utilize both of their talents as effectively as a more traditional offense would. That's why there was word of D'Antoni slowing down the offense with the acquisition of Melo and Billups...but coincidently the only time either player looked like their old selves was their debut against the Bucks when they weren't really running MDA's offense.

    It's not like a LBJ and Wade situation where both guys are ball dominant and are primarily penetrators and finishers. STAT uses his athleticism in the paint to get shots up and get to the line, while Melo is an inside-out type of player who can do a bit of it all. Both don't need the ball...one can be ball dominant and the other plays a position where the ball is fed to him...Pau, Dirk, LA, Duncan, etc aren't the players they are because they bring the ball up the court and then go to work....they get to their spots and are fed the ball to do what they do. So there's no reason why Melo and STAT can't play off of each other, we already saw Melo and Martin (when he was relatively healthy) and Melo and Nene the past season and a half. Neither guy is exactly a STAT, but both are paint players while Melo was....Melo.

    You can have the opinion that they don't complement each other, and have that be the reason why you don't think the Knicks should have got Melo...but it's not like we haven't seen Melo with bigs who got theirs and put up solid numbers. He got his numbers and so did they...there's enough shots to go around in the right offense.

    Oh, and if Donnie feels it more prudent to trade up in this draft and try to get a PG who can learn under Billups next season, and when Billups' $17M comes off the books after next season, we can go shopping then. You're hooked up on the second max we got, but the 3rd max would be the crippling one. $17M might be a worth a little more in terms of talent under the new CBA. If salaries are going down, then you might be able to get a LITTLE more out of $17 million dollars. Plus there's the MLE this offseason (if the MLE survives,) either way...the Knicks still have flexibility going forward. Melo did nothing to disrupt that. We can still end up with "superstar and superstar, plus the supporting cast" which is our best bet. No one is emulating what the Lakers are doing, because no one is going to trade pennies for gold bars.

    Melo was never hitting free agency, we had to go get him, and we didn't trade anything that's irreplaceable via the draft and with Billups' expiring. Once we get a coach in here who knows how to maneuver his chess pieces, we'll be straight.

  6. #36
    Veteran mafra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,318
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    We were a .500 team before Carmelo, and are a .500 team with our second superstar. Somehow, I don't see how T-Mozgov would have made any difference regardless. Felton was playing terribly lately. Chandler was here one game and gone the next 4.

    My buyer's remorse is b/c I wish we had Deron Williams. He would have been the better fit here.

    Still, let's judge Carmelo what he does in the playoffs. Does he bring it on a Sunday night against INDY? Nope. Does he bother to reach down and pick up a loose ball? Nt so much.

    BUT... will any of that matter if he goes off in May and we go on a nice playof run? I doubt it happens, but I'll save my anger for 'Melo until then. He must carry that burden, that responsibility, b/c he made it be known we had to trade for him (and not wait until free agency). He accepted that burden... so he'll get the hammer if he fails to delvier.

  7. #37
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Ahh... the big conundrum!
    ACHEMS RAZOR: The most simplist answer is USUALLY the most accurate.

    Stop over analyzing and trying to find a needle in a stack of needles, and pay attention to the PINK elephant in the room!!!!!

    Before it was the system, it was the players. Then it was the uncertainty, then it was poor attitudes (players), then more transition, etc... making me f*cking sick.

    As I've said before, my persnality type doesn't have room for excuses, but I'm trying to show patience and support. I unlike others don't think a change is a referendum on someones talent (player or coach)- some just don't fit, and there are many aspects where "fit" is important.

    Simply put... the REAL issue here is:

    1. When considering (some hindsight) what OUR roster/team could've looked like BY NOW, I think we would do things different. AND OUR ROSTER IS A REFLECTION OF OUR COACH, his type players for his type style. The draft picks, trades especially big men and depth.... don't f*cking try and say more different players are needed when over time those were the exact players we had/have.

    2. We here who are awake know the difference between, a playoff team (30 something wins+), a solid team (taking a contender to the brink, a move away) and a contender (a final four team). We expected to be solid, again SOLID by now. Refer up a few lines for reasons why excuses are not an option.

    When considering what we could've been by now, regardless of trades and moves (infuenced by coach) we definitly should be a solid team by now. We definitly should. Have ALREADY been to the playoffs giving teams a run.

    So it was the uncertainty, then the players etc... meanwhile analysts, posters, fans, EVERYONE said what would happen, everyone pointed towards one UNSOLIDIFIED part of the foundation we were building........ the coach,and no one wanted to listen, it was the players, size, big t*tties in the crowd..... everything except the million dollar coach, his scheme and approach..... nooooooo it can't be him.

    Listen, you can speculate all you want, what if this, what if that... defense wins, size rules, a chance to illustrate this was thwarted. No speculating in that. Now even if MDA is willing to change, how can he possibly make up for where we are as opposed to where we should've been?

  8. #38
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Ahh... the big conundrum!
    ACHEMS RAZOR: The most simplist answer is USUALLY the most accurate.

    Stop over analyzing and trying to find a needle in a stack of needles, and pay attention to the PINK elephant in the room!!!!!

    Before it was the system, it was the players. Then it was the uncertainty, then it was poor attitudes (players), then more transition, etc... making me f*cking sick.

    As I've said before, my persnality type doesn't have room for excuses, but I'm trying to show patience and support. I unlike others don't think a change is a referendum on someones talent (player or coach)- some just don't fit, and there are many aspects where "fit" is important.

    Simply put... the REAL issue here is:

    1. When considering (some hindsight) what OUR roster/team could've looked like BY NOW, I think we would do things different. AND OUR ROSTER IS A REFLECTION OF OUR COACH, his type players for his type style. The draft picks, trades especially big men and depth.... don't f*cking try and say more different players are needed when over time those were the exact players we had/have.

    2. We here who are awake know the difference between, a playoff team (30 something wins+), a solid team (taking a contender to the brink, a move away) and a contender (a final four team). We expected to be solid, again SOLID by now. Refer up a few lines for reasons why excuses are not an option.

    When considering what we could've been by now, regardless of trades and moves (infuenced by coach) we definitly should be a solid team by now. We definitly should. Have ALREADY been to the playoffs giving teams a run.

    So it was the uncertainty, then the players etc... meanwhile analysts, posters, fans, EVERYONE said what would happen, everyone pointed towards one UNSOLIDIFIED part of the foundation we were building........ the coach,and no one wanted to listen, it was the players, size, big t*tties in the crowd..... everything except the million dollar coach, his scheme and approach..... nooooooo it can't be him.

    Listen, you can speculate all you want, what if this, what if that... defense wins, size rules, a chance to illustrate this was thwarted. No speculating in that. Now even if MDA is willing to change, how can he possibly make up for where we are as opposed to where we should've been?
    Listen all those "excuses" you listed were very valid excuses and that can't be denied. We factually did have a weak roster. We factually did lose chemistry with multiple huge trades. There were factually players on our team with poor or selfish attitudes. That said, I truly believed D'ant was the best coach to guide our young athletic roster prior to the Melo trade. Now that we need to slow it down and play a more half court game since we acquired Melo and Biliups I believe another coach is probably more suited for the task. I don't expect any miracles from a new coach but I do think a half court traditional offense will suit our current roster better. I personally don't think D'ant is gone till after the season regardless of what happens so lets wait and see how he has our team performing in the post season. If we look lost and get dominated then I think it's time to look for a new coach.

    P.S. lets give some credit where credit is due. D'ant is getting us into the playoffs and he did develop several young players quite nicely.

  9. #39
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Listen all those "excuses" you listed were very valid excuses and that can't be denied. We factually did have a weak roster. We factually did lose chemistry with multiple huge trades. There were factually players on our team with poor or selfish attitudes. That said, I truly believed D'ant was the best coach to guide our young athletic roster prior to the Melo trade. Now that we need to slow it down and play a more half court game since we acquired Melo and Biliups I believe another coach is probably more suited for the task. I don't expect any miracles from a new coach but I do think a half court traditional offense will suit our current roster better. I personally don't think D'ant is gone till after the season regardless of what happens so lets wait and see how he has our team performing in the post season. If we look lost and get dominated then I think it's time to look for a new coach.

    P.S. lets give some credit where credit is due. D'ant is getting us into the playoffs and he did develop several young players quite nicely.


    Its not about whether he is suitable for this or that line up, its the fact that until he emphasizes defense as a primary aspect of our teams focus; there is no way on earth we are ever going to win anything worth being proud of.

    The fact remains, he either starts to teach defense, hires an assistant who can, or we fire him and find someone who will.

    end of story

    why is every one even debating this



    our team

    does
    not


    play


    defense


    and as any winner in the NBA knows

    they will tell you the first and foremost thing there coach emphasizes from training camp until they hold that trophy over their head

    is


    DEEEEEFFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEEEE

    the debates are nonsensical being that

    every one is failing to realize the one big piece that DANTONI

    misses

    and its


    DEEEEEFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEE


    again

    I REST my
    CASE.

  10. #40
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    Its not about whether he is suitable for this or that line up, its the fact that until he emphasizes defense as a primary aspect of our teams focus; there is no way on earth we are ever going to win anything worth being proud of.

    The fact remains, he either starts to teach defense, hires an assistant who can, or we fire him and find someone who will.

    end of story

    why is every one even debating this



    our team

    does
    not


    play


    defense


    and as any winner in the NBA knows

    they will tell you the first and foremost thing there coach emphasizes from training camp until they hold that trophy over their head

    is


    DEEEEEFFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEEEE

    the debates are nonsensical being that

    every one is failing to realize the one big piece that DANTONI

    misses

    and its


    DEEEEEFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEE


    again

    I REST my
    CASE.
    I Honesly think he doesn't know how to teach defense, he already refused to hire a defensive. Assistant coach so the only option is to fire him, we will need to keep him until the end of the playoffs and then hire rick adelman

  11. #41
    Veteran LJ4ptplay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ft. Collins, CO
    Posts
    2,950
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    I get that it's your opinion and everyone is entitled to one, but when we start debating opinions and not really stating why we have that opinion then it's not really a conversation anymore and just people saying words. I know you don't think both players complement each other, but I don't know why. I see Amar'e who's a free-throw line down player, and Melo who's a free-throw line extended player. They can coexist in an offense that puts them in their spots to operate (like the last play in Memphis when Melo is in the high post and STAT comes over and slips the screen and posts his man up near the baseline.) But the offense as it's currently constructed really doesn't utilize both of their talents as effectively as a more traditional offense would. That's why there was word of D'Antoni slowing down the offense with the acquisition of Melo and Billups...but coincidently the only time either player looked like their old selves was their debut against the Bucks when they weren't really running MDA's offense.

    It's not like a LBJ and Wade situation where both guys are ball dominant and are primarily penetrators and finishers. STAT uses his athleticism in the paint to get shots up and get to the line, while Melo is an inside-out type of player who can do a bit of it all. Both don't need the ball...one can be ball dominant and the other plays a position where the ball is fed to him...Pau, Dirk, LA, Duncan, etc aren't the players they are because they bring the ball up the court and then go to work....they get to their spots and are fed the ball to do what they do. So there's no reason why Melo and STAT can't play off of each other, we already saw Melo and Martin (when he was relatively healthy) and Melo and Nene the past season and a half. Neither guy is exactly a STAT, but both are paint players while Melo was....Melo.

    You can have the opinion that they don't complement each other, and have that be the reason why you don't think the Knicks should have got Melo...but it's not like we haven't seen Melo with bigs who got theirs and put up solid numbers. He got his numbers and so did they...there's enough shots to go around in the right offense.

    Oh, and if Donnie feels it more prudent to trade up in this draft and try to get a PG who can learn under Billups next season, and when Billups' $17M comes off the books after next season, we can go shopping then. You're hooked up on the second max we got, but the 3rd max would be the crippling one. $17M might be a worth a little more in terms of talent under the new CBA. If salaries are going down, then you might be able to get a LITTLE more out of $17 million dollars. Plus there's the MLE this offseason (if the MLE survives,) either way...the Knicks still have flexibility going forward. Melo did nothing to disrupt that. We can still end up with "superstar and superstar, plus the supporting cast" which is our best bet. No one is emulating what the Lakers are doing, because no one is going to trade pennies for gold bars.

    Melo was never hitting free agency, we had to go get him, and we didn't trade anything that's irreplaceable via the draft and with Billups' expiring. Once we get a coach in here who knows how to maneuver his chess pieces, we'll be straight.
    I disagree. Both Amare and Melo are ball dominant. Hence the Knicks averaging a league low in assists since Melo's arrival. Both players are free throw line in players. Melo is a poor outside shooter and he uses his quickness to get to the line, just like Amare. Both receive the ball at the same spot on the court (around the free throw line or elbow). Both are very lazy defenders and only provide scoring. My opinion is based on more than just words.

    The future flexibility you speak of is the real factor here. I personally don't see it but if Donnie is able to build a bench, find a starting Center, a replacement for Billups, and a solid supporting cast that is able to compensate for Melo and Amare's deficiencies (e.g. defense, outside shooting, rebounding, playmaking, etc), then we are in good shape. But I do not have the same optimism as you. We have zero cap space this summer. ZERO. Unless we don't keep Billups, which is a bad choice because Douglas is not good enough to be the permanent starting PG. Even if there is a MLE, I don't see us using it, because it seems like we are trying to preserve cap space for 2012. So the same team we see now is likely to be the same team we have next year, puls/minus a few minor changes. Still not contenders.

    I don't see how a team with almost 70% of their cap invested in two players, no assets to speak of, and a more restrictive CBA coming in the future can afford us the flexibility to build around Amare and Melo. To me, there seems to be too many holes and not enough flexiblity to fill them.

    Like I said, we didn't have to gut the team for Melo. We could have called his bluff. If he had gone to the Nets, big deal. We still would have been able to build a much better team than the one we will be left with. Melo was not the be-all and end-all for the Knicks. There were much better options than gutting the team for Melo. This wasn't necessary.

    But I guess we will find out this summer if it was worth it. If a more restricitve CBA comes out of the negotiations, as predicted by almost everybody, we may be screwed. If we still have the flexibility to build a solid roster, then it was worth it. We'll see.

  12. #42
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Listen all those "excuses" you listed were very valid excuses and that can't be denied. We factually did have a weak roster. We factually did lose chemistry with multiple huge trades. There were factually players on our team with poor or selfish attitudes. That said, I truly believed D'ant was the best coach to guide our young athletic roster prior to the Melo trade. Now that we need to slow it down and play a more half court game since we acquired Melo and Biliups I believe another coach is probably more suited for the task. I don't expect any miracles from a new coach but I do think a half court traditional offense will suit our current roster better. I personally don't think D'ant is gone till after the season regardless of what happens so lets wait and see how he has our team performing in the post season. If we look lost and get dominated then I think it's time to look for a new coach.

    P.S. lets give some credit where credit is due. D'ant is getting us into the playoffs and he did develop several young players quite nicely.
    if O'antoni was a good coach.. he should be able to adjust too his new roster... right?....it not just that he cant adjust his offense.. he cant come up with a good defensive strategy either.....my point from day one...

    i knew u would come around... u just havent come full circle yet....once this bum is gone.. and all the fact do come out....i would like to hear your excuse then..

    the reaon why walsh has not been extending is probably becuz he is backing this prick....if thats the case... as much as I like Donnie... he has got to go to...

  13. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay

    Like I said, we didn't have to gut the team for Melo. We could have called his bluff. If he had gone to the Nets, big deal. We still would have been able to build a much better team than the one we will be left with. Melo was not the be-all and end-all for the Knicks. There were much better options than gutting the team for Melo. This wasn't necessary.
    .


    If you really think Dolan was going to let Walsh call Melo's bluff, I understand what you're saying.

    But he didn't ---- Could have, would have, should have..... We WILL see what we're made of in the next season.

  14. #44
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    Its not about whether he is suitable for this or that line up, its the fact that until he emphasizes defense as a primary aspect of our teams focus; there is no way on earth we are ever going to win anything worth being proud of.

    The fact remains, he either starts to teach defense, hires an assistant who can, or we fire him and find someone who will.

    end of story

    why is every one even debating this



    our team

    does
    not


    play


    defense


    and as any winner in the NBA knows

    they will tell you the first and foremost thing there coach emphasizes from training camp until they hold that trophy over their head

    is


    DEEEEEFFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEEEE

    the debates are nonsensical being that

    every one is failing to realize the one big piece that DANTONI

    misses

    and its


    DEEEEEFFFFEEEENNNNSSSSSEEEEE


    again

    I REST my
    CASE.
    No you are wrong, it has everything to do with our roster. Focusing on defense or a slowed down half court offense with an undersized roster built to run, lacking defenders would be disastrous. You play a style that will maximize the players on your ROSTER. Now that we have changed our ROSTER and have the best scoring iso forward in the league and a half court vet in Billiups we will play to our new ROSTERS strengths. Since a half court game will slow down the pace we must now concentrate on acquiring more defenders to COMPLIMENT our core. Prior to the trade our team was built to run and gun and lacked any lock down defenders. The only true defenders (Turiaf and Azubuikie) were injured therefore the Knicks only could win by outscoring the other team and forcing them into our pace. (they are 7-15 when scoring under 100 points and 0-5 when scoring less than 90)

    So now that we look to be slowing down the game to accommodate our new core I think another coach would be better. We will still play horrible defense with our current roster and need to upgrade at the center position at least if we think we are going to defend anyone. Focusing on defense will not make up for the lack of DEFENDERS on our ROSTER.

  15. #45
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by moneyg
    if O'antoni was a good coach.. he should be able to adjust too his new roster... right?....it not just that he cant adjust his offense.. he cant come up with a good defensive strategy either.....my point from day one...

    i knew u would come around... u just havent come full circle yet....once this bum is gone.. and all the fact do come out....i would like to hear your excuse then..

    the reaon why walsh has not been extending is probably becuz he is backing this prick....if thats the case... as much as I like Donnie... he has got to go to...
    He has adjusted and thats a fact. The problem is yes, he is not a defensive guru added to the fact that our roster is devoid of defensive players. We have a SF playing center! Amare acts like a matador constantly stepping aside allowing the offense to score. It does not help that he gets himself into foul trouble with avoidable offensive fouls almost every game by running the defense over instead of pulling up for the baby jumper. Do you think D'ant tells Amare to do this? DO you think another coach is going to magically increase Amares decision making on a play to play basis? I doubt it.

    That said, I agree that another coach is best suited for this roster so why are you arguing?

Similar Threads

  1. Christianity in 30 Seconds
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 425
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2008, 16:15
  2. Our brain. What Evolution cannot account for!
    By Knicks4lyfe in forum Hangout
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Jul 31, 2008, 14:20
  3. New York Knicks@ Boston Celtics
    By D-Lee42fan in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: Dec 01, 2007, 22:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •