CARMELO DISSES D'ANTONI (Say tah-tah to coach)

mafra

Legend
No one could blame the loss on ball movement, shot distribution or the growing pains of Carmelo Anthony learning to co-exist with Amar'e Stoudemire. When the Knicks needed points Tuesday night against the Indiana Pacers, they found a way.

The problem instead was the same problem Mike D'Antoni's team has experienced for quite some time now. When the Knicks need a defensive stop, they never seem to find a way.

"That's going to be our Achilles heel," Mike D'Antoni said. "We're going to dance with certain guys and we have to figure out how to guard."

Anthony was visibly frustrated when the buzzer sounded.

He had pleaded with Jared Jeffries to throw him the ball at the top of the circle even though D'Antoni's play with 0.3 seconds left was for Jeffries to throw the ball to the rim and hope that Landry Fields could tap it in.

The Pacers were committed to protecting the basket and allowed Anthony to roam free by the three-point line, but Jeffries ignored him and threw the ball toward the rim, but it was knocked away.

"I'm thinking go for whatever is open," Anthony said after the Knicks lost their third straight. "I really don't know what everyone else was thinking. If I see somebody backing up on me like that, get it to me and let's see what happens from there."

It would have been a low-percentage, bang-bang play. Did Anthony have a chance? Sure. But the Knicks would not have needed a miracle if they could defend consistently.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._end_of_game_as_pacers_beat_knicks_11911.html

The Knicks overcame a 15-point late-third-quarter deficit to put them in position to win. Rugged Pacers forward Tyler Hansbrough again brutalized the Knicks, scoring a career-high 30 points to eclipse the career high of 29 he set in Sunday's win. Hansbrough punctuated his night with a vicious dunk on Stoudemire.

Anthony seemed to be taking a poke at the team's defensive strategy after the game when asked about Hansbrough's night.

"We all know what he's capable of doing -- he hasn't been missing that shot," Anthony said. "I don't think we made adjustments to him at the top of the key, especially after the game he had in the Garden. I'd think we'd make adjustments after that."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...er_seals_eTE4bdWqtDpKPnaJTHSzFJ#ixzz1Gm4nvtb3

(AND THEN... look at how coach reacts after the loss last night)

Mike D?Antoni is no longer as forthcoming as he was when he first took over the Knicks. (The media and the Garden's media policy can break even the most loquacious coach.)

But there are certain topics that act like truth serum when asked to D'Antoni. One is asking him about his reluctance to coach defense. Another is whether his style can win and NBA championship. Those topics get his blood boiling.
And now we have a new topic. It's any and all discussions about pre-Melo Knicks vs. the Melo Knicks. When D'Antoni was asked on Tuesday why Denver is 8-2 and the Knicks 6-5 since the Carmelo Anthony trade, the truth serum starting taking effect.

"There's a lot of things," he said. "We were going well on a team that was playing a certain way and in the playoffs and (the Nuggets) were kinda up and down because of the situation that was there.

"One is like taking a restrain off of them and 'wow, look at what we got.' And ours was 'we don't know what we have.' (Also), different expectations.

(Denver is good), they have some good players. You never know what chemistry is and what it's going to be. (Denver) is playing well, which is good. I'm glad to see Wilson (Chandler) and Raymond (Felton) ... they had great games last night. Gotta love them. But we have our own job to do and we've got to do it better."

We were playing a certain way and in the playoffs? We don't know what we have? Very interesting.

What D'Antoni said next is also revealing. Chandler and Danilo Gallinari were part of some brutal Knick teams and barring a complete collapse they will make the playoffs for the first time with Denver. Asked if he is happy for his former players, D'Antoni said: "They're great guys and they did everything they could to make us successful. We just saw an opportunity to get a superstar and we think that's the right thing to do."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b..._end_of_game_as_pacers_beat_knicks_11911.html

There you have it folks. We're getting close to the end of the Mike D'Antoni era. Good riddance! Sure, this might be harsh and even unwarranted... but it is what is is and it's time for a change.

Most of us are aware that george Karl is a much better coach. I'm not looking at his 8-2 record since the trade and indictment on MD b/c NY is only 6-6 since the deal... I see if the other way, Karl takes 4 players from the Knicks... who were losing players in NY for their careers, and only a .500 team with MD this season... And now these same players are 8-2 (and playing defense). This is the indictment on MD.

I was thinking about during the All-Star weekend... Nyets were back at it (or so we heard) and had a deal to get Carmelo... We're hearing how Walsh was hesitating breaking up the squad, and how D'Antoni wanted Deron Williams anyway...

I'm like... HEY DONNIE... just call Utah and try to make a deal for the PG. After all, if we're going to stay with MD and run his system moving fwd... wouldn't it make more sense to trade for Deron over Carmelo?

FOR EXAMPLE:

According to NBA Confidential, the Jazz would have tried to trade Deron Williams to the Knicks instead of to the cross-river rival New Jersey Nets if the Knicks hadn't landed Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets. O'Connor decided to call whichever team lost out on Anthony to offer up Williams, the site reports.

Walsh told the site that things might have gone differently if he had known that Williams was actually available at the time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-could-have-had-Deron-Williams-?urn=nba-332642

This can't be on the level. I mean, if Walsh had no clue that Utah was prepared to send Deron to NY... then he should be fired immediately. HOw could he not even enterain the notion and place a phone call?

I believe this was all Dolan-driven... Dolan wanted Carmelo b/c he would sell more seats. OK. Maybe they were even a little greedy. Trade for Carmelo now and then sign Deron after next season. If they deal for Deron, then they have no shot at Carmelo.

BUT... what is clear... the moment the decided to pass on the PERFECT MD PG... the moment the chose to trade for Carmelo over Deron... that was the moment Mike D'Antoni had to know he was/is a goner when this season ends, or (at the very least) when his contract expires. Probably much like Donnie Walsh.

AND... to nobody's surprise... Carmelo will blame anyone and everyone for the Ls... Right now he'll get away with it. That means MD is walking the plank... heading to the gallows,, blindfolded on the firing line.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
No one could blame the loss on ball movement, shot distribution or the growing pains of Carmelo Anthony learning to co-exist with Amar'e Stoudemire. When the Knicks needed points Tuesday night against the Indiana Pacers, they found a way.

The problem instead was the same problem Mike D'Antoni's team has experienced for quite some time now. When the Knicks need a defensive stop, they never seem to find a way.

"That's going to be our Achilles heel," Mike D'Antoni said. "We're going to dance with certain guys and we have to figure out how to guard."

Anthony was visibly frustrated when the buzzer sounded.

He had pleaded with Jared Jeffries to throw him the ball at the top of the circle even though D'Antoni's play with 0.3 seconds left was for Jeffries to throw the ball to the rim and hope that Landry Fields could tap it in.

The Pacers were committed to protecting the basket and allowed Anthony to roam free by the three-point line, but Jeffries ignored him and threw the ball toward the rim, but it was knocked away.

"I'm thinking go for whatever is open," Anthony said after the Knicks lost their third straight. "I really don't know what everyone else was thinking. If I see somebody backing up on me like that, get it to me and let's see what happens from there."

It would have been a low-percentage, bang-bang play. Did Anthony have a chance? Sure. But the Knicks would not have needed a miracle if they could defend consistently.

The Knicks overcame a 15-point late-third-quarter deficit to put them in position to win. Rugged Pacers forward Tyler Hansbrough again brutalized the Knicks, scoring a career-high 30 points to eclipse the career high of 29 he set in Sunday's win. Hansbrough punctuated his night with a vicious dunk on Stoudemire.

Anthony seemed to be taking a poke at the team's defensive strategy after the game when asked about Hansbrough's night.

"We all know what he's capable of doing -- he hasn't been missing that shot," Anthony said. "I don't think we made adjustments to him at the top of the key, especially after the game he had in the Garden. I'd think we'd make adjustments after that."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...er_seals_eTE4bdWqtDpKPnaJTHSzFJ#ixzz1Gm4nvtb3

(AND THEN... look at how coach reacts after the loss last night)

Mike D?Antoni is no longer as forthcoming as he was when he first took over the Knicks. (The media and the Garden's media policy can break even the most loquacious coach.)

But there are certain topics that act like truth serum when asked to D'Antoni. One is asking him about his reluctance to coach defense. Another is whether his style can win and NBA championship. Those topics get his blood boiling.
And now we have a new topic. It's any and all discussions about pre-Melo Knicks vs. the Melo Knicks. When D'Antoni was asked on Tuesday why Denver is 8-2 and the Knicks 6-5 since the Carmelo Anthony trade, the truth serum starting taking effect.

"There's a lot of things," he said. "We were going well on a team that was playing a certain way and in the playoffs and (the Nuggets) were kinda up and down because of the situation that was there.

"One is like taking a restrain off of them and 'wow, look at what we got.' And ours was 'we don't know what we have.' (Also), different expectations.

(Denver is good), they have some good players. You never know what chemistry is and what it's going to be. (Denver) is playing well, which is good. I'm glad to see Wilson (Chandler) and Raymond (Felton) ... they had great games last night. Gotta love them. But we have our own job to do and we've got to do it better."

We were playing a certain way and in the playoffs? We don't know what we have? Very interesting.

What D'Antoni said next is also revealing. Chandler and Danilo Gallinari were part of some brutal Knick teams and barring a complete collapse they will make the playoffs for the first time with Denver. Asked if he is happy for his former players, D'Antoni said: "They're great guys and they did everything they could to make us successful. We just saw an opportunity to get a superstar and we think that's the right thing to do."

There you have it folks. We're getting close to the end of the Mike D'Antoni era. Good riddance! Sure, this might be harsh and even unwarranted... but it is what is is and it's time for a change.

Most of us are aware that george Karl is a much better coach. I'm not looking at his 8-2 record since the trade and indictment on MD b/c NY is only 6-6 since the deal... I see if the other way, Karl takes 4 players from the Knicks... who were losing players in NY for their careers, and only a .500 team with MD this season... And now these same players are 8-2 (and playing defense). This is the indictment on MD.

I was thinking about during the All-Star weekend... Nyets were back at it (or so we heard) and had a deal to get Carmelo... We're hearing how Walsh was hesitating breaking up the squad, and how D'Antoni wanted Deron Williams anyway...

I'm like... HEY DONNIE... just call Utah and try to make a deal for the PG. After all, if we're going to stay with MD and run his system moving fwd... wouldn't it make more sense to trade for Deron over Carmelo?

FOR EXAMPLE:

According to NBA Confidential, the Jazz would have tried to trade Deron Williams to the Knicks instead of to the cross-river rival New Jersey Nets if the Knicks hadn't landed Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets. O'Connor decided to call whichever team lost out on Anthony to offer up Williams, the site reports.

Walsh told the site that things might have gone differently if he had known that Williams was actually available at the time.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/post/Knicks-could-have-had-Deron-Williams-?urn=nba-332642

This can't be on the level. I mean, if Walsh had no clue that Utah was prepared to send Deron to NY... then he should be fired immediately. HOw could he not even enterain the notion and place a phone call?

I believe this was all Dolan-driven... Dolan wanted Carmelo b/c he would sell more seats. OK. Maybe they were even a little greedy. Trade for Carmelo now and then sign Deron after next season. If they deal for Deron, then they have no shot at Carmelo.

BUT... what is clear... the moment the decided to pass on the PERFECT MD PG... the moment the chose to trade for Carmelo over Deron... that was the moment Mike D'Antoni had to know he was/is a goner when this season ends, or (at the very least) when his contract expires. Probably much like Donnie Walsh.

AND... to nobody's surprise... Carmelo will blame anyone and everyone for the Ls... Right now he'll get away with it. That means MD is walking the plank... heading to the gallows,, blindfolded on the firing line.

God, I hope so. We need a real coach. One of the things I said when Chandler, Galli, Felton and Mozgov were shipped... at least they will have a coach that teaches them D. All of their defensive ratings (with the exception of Mozgov because he doesn't play) have went up. That's MDA at his finest... make player's worst on D.

God, I hope so. We need a real coach. One of the things I said when Chandler, Galli, Felton and Mozgov were shipped... at least they will have a coach that teaches them D. All of their defensive ratings (with the exception of Mozgov because he doesn't play) have went up. That's MDA at his finest... make player's worst on D.

This has to be the beginning of the end it has to be, has to be , has to be

and it doesnt matter about mozgov or whatever, if there werent injuries mozgof would of continued to sit, the problem lies in that

dantoni has started two 6 foot 9 pfs LEE and AMARE at the center position for his entire NBA coaching career despite a season and a half with SHAQ, which was Steve Kerrs enforcement not the coaches.

MIKE D will always fail to recognize one simple fact

this is the NBA.

idiot.

FIRE THIS MAN

see my other post please.

Toons

is the Bo$$
george karl isnt a defensive coach, melo also said carl never really taught him desense aither.

that being addressed

we need a big man

smokes

Huge Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/p...urn=nba-332642

Utah already said they did not advertise the availablity of Williams until AFTER the Melo deal was complete. Their plan all along was to go to the loser of the Melo battle and say "hey, want Deron instead?".

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
Musk while I can agree with some of your points, I find that you're reading way too much into some of the statements that have been made. Where is Carmelo dissing D'Antoni? Where is Melo blaming everyone and anyone?

And like smokes said, Utah didn't want to show their hand until the Melo deal panned out.

Finally, you know why they insisted on Mozgov on being included in the deal? It's not because he's good and they wanted to play him. It's because they didn't want US to have him. You can see how sorely we're missing a big right now, MDA's system or not.

That being said, I don't know why the f**k we didn't pick up a big before the deadline, even a scrub 7-footer would be better than Jeffries playing center. Or at least give Shelden a chance at the 5.

Also, why the hell would you pick Jeffries to inbound the ball on that last play? He has the offensive acumen of a marshmallow.

I was and am willing to give MDA a chance, but he's beginning to slowly but surely erode any trust that I had in him.

I love Melo as a player, but the man was never the type of leader for Denver that Billups was & it's looking like Melo will never become the type of team leader that Amare has been for the Knicks.

Melo needs to STFU about thar final play, because there was no way he catches the ball, sets up, cocks back & releases the ball with ONLY .3 of a second left. To make it worse, I've seen the play over 5 times... Melo was a GOOD 7-10 back of the 3 point line.

Melo never "threw" MDA under the bus either. He simply made it know, we (key word being we) failed to adjust down low. It's a team game. Since when have NBA players not been able to adjust?

How much money does MDA or Phil Jackson make per year? How much do Kobe, Melo or Amare make per year? Exactly. Proof that the PLAYERS are much more important to the team that a coach. Both MDA & the players deserve blame for the INDY loses but in no way shape or form did Carmelo "throw MDA under the bus".

Also; Melo is the much better player when compared to D-Will...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
i've wanted D'Antoni to be successful here as much as the next guy- i mean come on? him being successful equals us winning games- but its obvious he's not the coach for this team. he could still save himself in NY with one move; HIRE A DEFENSIVE STRATEGIST!. like come on phil weber and his bro are all offensive minded assistants and herb we all know doesnt have a say in anything the big idle really. if he's still refusing to get a defensive assistant at seasons end- cause its obvious thats our teams main flaw at this point- i say fire him and get Van Gundy back its team with this same core and a extra solid bench player C and defense we'd win th chip.

that being said and D'Antoni being the way he is i say fire him at seasons end.

petescud

Starter
Van Gundy and Hire Patrick Ewing (and bring his son back too) and lets win it (after we get a legit center and defensive help)

keyser soze

Benchwarmer
I love all of the revisionist history taking place in many media outlets about the Knicks and how great their prospects were before the trade. You know what our record was in the 12 games right before the trade??? 6-6! The same record we have accomplished in the 12 games since the trade went down. Also, despite our putrid performances against Cleveland and Indiana, we have managed to go 5-2 against winning teams since the trade. However, before the trade, we were a combined 14-17 (I believe) against winning teams.

The point here is not to brag about our team's collective performance since the trade. I'm simply pointing out that the trait that best describes us over the past 12 games isn't futility or ineptitude, but rather, inconsistency. And you know what the funny part is??? We virtually all cautioned each other about this being a process that was doomed to have it's ups and downs. We all knew that Miami had started 9-8 in their first 17 games. We all knew that we had a team of unacquainted guys who were going to be expected to compete against teams that have played and practiced together for weeks, months, and YEARS. And yet, we all still react to (a very average) 6-6 start by acting like the sky is falling. Let's all try to calm down and take things in with some perspective. And for all of the fervent D'antoni haters on this message board, guess what? Whether you like it or not, the guy is entitled to a full training camp and corresponding regular season with Carmelo, Amare, and Chauncey all on board. I mean, what's fair is fair, right?

Excellent post keyser. Impossible to argue against anything you just stated. Facts are facts. It's foolish to expect MDA (or any other coach for that matter) to have this team competing for a championship (this year). Especially when MDA's been forced to play 5 starters who weren't even on the roster last year. 3 of those 5 starters have only been here for 12 or fewer games in Melo, JJ & Billups. 1 of the 2 remaining starters is a rookie who's only learning on the fly in Fields. Amare & Fields are the only two starters who's been here since the offseason. Not only has MDA earned the right to land a Center during the offseason; but he's also earned the chance to work with our 3 leaders in Billups, Amare & Carmelo. Thats what leading a franchise to the playoffs for the 1st time in 2004, with a team experience level of zero does for you as a head coach; The chance to take your team to the next level the following season. Did MDA ever have a CHANCE in 08 & 09 to win? Thomas cap hell says 'not a chance in hell'.

It's amazing what a full offseason of training camp, 35+ practices & an entire preseason of working the X's & O's aspects of the game do for both the players & head coach. Once MDA has a full offseason of learning how to GEL with these players, once these players learn how to GEL with one another... This will be a different team by the start of the season next year. Gallo was our only starter who played for NY last year heading into the All-Star game. Amare was with PHX, Felton was with Charlotte, Fields was in college & Mozgov was somewhere in Russia/Europe. Only 1 out of 5 starters had experience with MDA & the Knicks last year.

Billups, Fields, Carmelo & Amare are ALL expected back next year. That makes for 4 out of 5 starters returning next year, who were not only with the Knicks this year; but also 4 out of 5 starters who all gained the MUCH needed playoff experience as a team heading into next year.

4 out of 5 starters returning is a HUGE difference from only 1 in Gallo. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Sons of Thunder

Benchwarmer
I think the big question is: Will D'Antoni pick up a true 5 like Dalembert (one of the many bigs we've been fantasizing about) in the offseason? The fact that many posters here believe the answer to be 'no' is what stirs up the vitriol against MDA. I hope he proves them wrong...but I wouldn't be shocked if he proved them right.

la2ny

Starter
Im amazed at how the media makes us flip out and the impatience we have with this team as opposed to other cities teams. It's amplified w/ the Melo trade being done because everyone pops in NBA 2k or NBA Live and think its like that when you trade a big name.

MDA wants to win as much as the next coach. There is no way in hell he's willing to head into next year with JJ & Turiaf as our C's; both are forced to play out of position (natural PF's). DeAndre would be the perfect fit for MDA. A BIG who can run the floor with athletic talents that are simply freakish. MDA would drool over Jordan & Amare as our starting C' & PF. People believe their own little stories & say MDA "doesn't want" a C'. Thats a false lie. He never had a true C' with PHX. Thats the reason why he TRIED to play Amare as a C' with PHX. The man wants a talented C'. How can anyone blame a head coach for trying to see if a young Amare could become the next great Center? Look @ his size & leaping ability. The only time MDA ever played Amare @ C' were during the times Turiaf went down. Thats when Amare set NY's all-time record for consecutive games with 30+ pts. Then he played Mozgov @ C'. Also had no problem starting Shaq @ C'. No way he passes on Jordan, Gasol, Nene & Dalembert or even Oden for "JJ"..

NYKNICKS4LIFE

Benchwarmer
Gasol, Nene, Dalembert, Jordan, or Oden even Camby would be better

any one of these guy will work

they have defensive mindsets

more importantly they will allow Amare to play his natural PF position

im reading everyone gripes and complaints about mda and even i can admit i am willing to give this man a chance everyone knew this was going to be a process so why the hysteria...the plan from the get go was to get to the playoffs not win a chip this year....let this man figure out what he has in the off season what personnel moves need to be made and then make your true assessment will be evaluated next year.. everyone knows as currently constructed this team is not built for a chip the foundation is there but you have to fill the roster around quality roleplayers that can cover up the two main superstars flaws which is defense. Even MDA admitted that when he got JJ back he is now able to institute defense concepts such as the zone maybe even 1-3-1 because he is the anchor. This team is two centers (starter and back up) and d minded assistant away from being a contender. If you want a good example two words doc rivers!

MusketeerX

Rotation player
im reading everyone gripes and complaints about mda and even i can admit i am willing to give this man a chance everyone knew this was going to be a process so why the hysteria...the plan from the get go was to get to the playoffs not win a chip this year....let this man figure out what he has in the off season what personnel moves need to be made and then make your true assessment will be evaluated next year.. everyone knows as currently constructed this team is not built for a chip the foundation is there but you have to fill the roster around quality roleplayers that can cover up the two main superstars flaws which is defense. Even MDA admitted that when he got JJ back he is now able to institute defense concepts such as the zone maybe even 1-3-1 because he is the anchor. This team is two centers (starter and back up) and d minded assistant away from being a contender. If you want a good example two words doc rivers!

He doesn't want a defensive assistant coach. He has said as much. We need a coach that can teach defense to two guys who don't really play it. D'Antoni has already proven he can't teach Amar'e 'D'. D'Antnoni is not a proven defensive coach. Why should we entertain the idea of keeping him around?

mafra

Legend
First of all, it's the GMs job to call Utah and feel them out. Call them and say we're about to offer/give DEN X,Y,Z for Carmelo. We're wondering if X,Y,Z (and maybe Q) are enough to entice you to trade us Deron.

Just figures for us Kick fans. We finally catch a break and get a pair of stars, and a few days after a big tickey purchase (Anthony) we suffer from buyer's remorse knowing we could have secured Deron Williams. Oh well.

I see DEN won again. 9-2. I guess Karl doesn't need time to gel. And while he may not coach defense, he at least employs some game plan to stop the opponent.