VOLUME 2 Another DFDH must read....I rest my case : Fire This F---ing bum.

It just comes down to whether or not you choke at the end of the game. Some people don't work well under pressure. Some do. The former are clutch. The latter are not.

Thanks. This is all I was trying to say. Never, ever did I think or say people become superhuman under pressure. The ones that are clutch just dont wet the bed in high pressure situations...

KBlack25

Starter
It just comes down to whether or not you choke at the end of the game. Some people don't work well under pressure. Some do. The former are clutch. The latter are not.

Did you read any of my posts? Any statistical analysis ever run in the history of sabermetrics to identify "clutch" has shown that players in professional sport perform about as well "under pressure" (read: clutch) as they do in normal game situations. There is no statistically significant differentiation between one player's performance in "clutch" situations and that same player's performance in "non-clutch" situations.

iSaYughh

Starter
Did you read any of my posts? Any statistical analysis ever run in the history of sabermetrics to identify "clutch" has shown that players in professional sport perform about as well "under pressure" (read: clutch) as they do in normal game situations. There is no statistically significant differentiation between one player's performance in "clutch" situations and that same player's performance in "non-clutch" situations.

Also, those "non clutch" normally have the smallest of sample sizes; while those "clutch" have greater.

It's basically undulations in the normal vagaries of player peformance, that get a chance to manifest to some degree over whatever sample size reality allows.

Saying someone is "not clutch" is a bigger stretch than saying one "is clutch'", which really just means you know -- by way of reality giving them the opportunities -- to verify that yes, they can and will perform in situations that we give some label.

Which again, often times isn't some clutch/non clutch thing, but just facing higher, or different levels of competition. That just goes directly back to player ability and skillset to begin with.

KBlack25

Starter
Also, those "non clutch" normally have the smallest of sample sizes; while those "clutch" have greater.

It's basically undulations in the normal vagaries of player peformance, that get a chance to manifest to some degree over whatever sample size reality allows.

Saying someone is "not clutch" is a bigger stretch than saying one "is clutch'", which really just means you know -- by way of reality giving them the opportunities -- to verify that yes, they can and will perform in situations that we give some label.

Which again, often times isn't some clutch/non clutch thing, but just facing higher, or different levels of competition. That just goes directly back to player ability and skillset to begin with.

Also - certain players get a reputation as "clutch" so we acknowledge "clutch plays" more...and others get a reputation as "not clutch" so we look for "not clutch plays".

ARod and Papi are perfect examples. Papi gained the reputation as being clutch, but over his career in "clutch situations" he is about the same as he is in "non-clutch situations", people just think of him as clutch, so remember all the times he came up clutch. ARod gets a reputation as not clutch, when in reality if you look at his "clutch numbers" he is about the same as he is in normal situations. People just think of him as not clutch, so they remember all the times he failed in the clutch.