Who's our truly good defensive players?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
A good defensive coach would definitely help the team defense, but who is good at defense no matter who the coach is?

Douglas
Turiaf
Billups (I haven't seen enough, but he's known for changing teams around defensively so I'll list him)

Who else?

Good defensive players (4):

Toney Douglas
Renaldo Balkman
Jared Jeffries
Ronny Turiaf

Decent defenders (3):

Anthony Carter
Chauncey Billups
Shelden Williams

Put in effort on defense (4):

Landry Fields
Shawne Williams
Derrick Brown
Roger Mason Jr.

Defend at least in important games (2):

Carmelo Anthony
Bill Walker

Horrible defenders (1):

Amar'e Stoudemire

Unrated (1):

Andy Rautins (only played in garbage time)

petescud

Starter
Good: Giraffe, Turiaf, Douglas, Balkman

Decent: Fields, Carter, Billups, Mason,

Could be decent if they really tried: Walker, STAT, Melo

rest of the guys i didn't grade

Ewing

Benchwarmer
Shawne and Shelden Williams play good D, Jeffries, Turiaf, Douglas, Carter and Billups also do.
They are my choices.

STAT1

Starter
AC, TD, Turiaf & Shawne Williams are our best & most consistent defenders IMO. Roger Mason Jr. & Shelden Williams do a solid job as well. I personally think Jeffries' defense is severely overrated by MDA & some Knick fans, I see guys blow by him on defense all the time he's not that great a defender. He's great at drawing charges in the paint other than that I think there are other guys on this team that do a much better job in the paint & on the perimeter on ball. Balkman has his moments but they are far between (mostly due to lack of opportunity). Still I think he plays like he's high on ganja most of the time to be a good defender, he's not always focused & his intensity level often waivers. Landry gives an effort but he needs a lot of work on his awareness on help D, he over commits way too often leaving the rest of his teammates exposed.