Not really sure why long time Knick fans coule ever be against the trade of Carmelo?

Reading post's of fans being upset over the trade after only 14 games & even using Denver as a stepping stone to bash NY has been hard to understand.

It's hard to compete for greatness without an elite star; I'm still thankful we landed one during the offseason in Amare.

Landing Melo was a dream come true for most Knick fans. Landing Melo was for the future of our proud franchise. The best of the Knicks with Melo has yet to come.

If I would have known heading into the offseason, that NY had no chance of landing LeBron, & someone would have then told me that NY would feature two elite stars in Amare & Carmelo this year? I wouldn't have believed them.

If Ewing had an elite top 10 star to match MJ & Pippen during the 90's? Who knows how many rings NY fans would have enjoyed?

We're now out of that era of Thomas cap hell, we turned our entire roster over, NY landed two megastars in Melo & Amare & we're finially in the playoff picture.

2010-2011 has already been a special season; one that I'll never forget.

And yeah, it was hard to see Gallo & Chandler go during a trade but when I look @ the big picture, I tell myself that even if we took a huge gamble on waiting to sign Carmelo as a free agent during the offseason; we would have lost Chandler to free agency to begin with. The loss of Chandler really does become a moot point because we weren't winning a ring this year with that previous roster regardless.

Yes; we lost Gallo but Gallo was a player who played like star some nights, played like Van Horn during average nights & played like a ghost once every 3 games when he wasn't hitting. Gallo would have only been a 6th man off the bench backing up Melo to begin with right? In my eyes, when you include TD's defense as well as his ability to backup both the PG & SG positions, in my eyes; Douglas becomes the much more productive overall 6th man off the bench.

Fields has been the most talented Knicks rookie since god knows when? We still kept two special home grown pieces in Fields & Douglas to build around 2 stars

I would also like to say that my father grew up during the days of Reed & King playing C' for NY. I was blessed to have started watching back in 92 with my father during the era of Ewing.

I'm sorry, but some project C' out of Russia who was only averaging 2 pts & 3 boards per, as a starter? Really wasn't doing it for me. I'm not sure Mozgov will ever turn into the impact type of C' that NY fans have always enjoyed until recently.

I'd much rather see us land a Marc Gasol (restricted FA), Jordan, Nene or even a Dalembert type; & thats exactly what this offseason is about; a chance to upgrade a playoff roster & turn it into a serious contender.

New York, MSG, star power, playoff contender etc, etc: What type of talented C' (who knows he'll start under MDA) wouldn't dream of becoming the next future C' in NY?

Yes; Randolph could have helped this year, but honestly; Who is "Randolph"? NY could do much better. Real talents enter the draft every year like this Kenneth kid who leads the Nation in rebounds...

iJoe

Rotation player
I don't think anyone is complaining about getting the better deal when we acquired Melo. We could probably have gotten a better deal and not set a bad precedent with Dolan going over Walsh's head, but thats a different thread altogether.

The thing with Melo that people have to understand, is that it will take time and we've definitely proven to be the least patient fans in the universe. There are legitimate concerns to how well Melo would fit in after having absolute control of the Nugget's offense. Anyone who thought Melo would just fit in seamlessly is delusional.

That said, there is a reason why the role players have been exploding. There is just so much attention to Amare and Melo that they're having the time of their lives. Melo just needs to cheer the team and stop focusing on himself. Thats what I'm most worried about. Does he care more about winning or having good numbers?

I agree on all counts Joe. Lets just hope to see Melo & Amare ready to lead this team come playoff time... while doing anything & everything to help this team win; including ball movement on the offensive side of the ball as well as a tough as nails type of defensive mentality because if we get that, on a consistent basis leading up to & during the playoffs from these two stars? The potential of this team could become extremely dangerious with real talents such as Billups, Fields & Douglas. The key is getting some type of productive production from the 5 hole which seems almost impossible with Jeffries & Turiaf. Anything from guys like Shawne Williams, Bill Walker, Anthony Carter & Roger Mason must contribute in some ways when called upon.

Really hope to see this team playing hot heading into the playoffs, but Amare & Melo must lead the way from here on out & I'm confident they will.

MDA has to step up, take control of this team, while earning the type of respect where these players go to war for him.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Fanhood

Questioning someone's "fanhood" because he is not enthralled with the Melo trade is juvenile. I have been a Knicks fan for more than most of you have been alive and I am hardly 100% sold on the trade. We have two truly great offensive players, but we are back in cap hell with no 2012 draft pick, no 2014 draft pick, and no significant tradeable assets.

MusketeerX

Rotation player
Reading post's of fans being upset over the trade after only 14 games & even using Denver as a stepping stone to bash NY has been hard to understand.

It's hard to compete for greatness without an elite star; I'm still thankful we landed one during the offseason in Amare.

Landing Melo was a dream come true for most Knick fans. Landing Melo was for the future of our proud franchise. The best of the Knicks with Melo has yet to come.

If I would have known heading into the offseason, that NY had no chance of landing LeBron, & someone would have then told me that NY would feature two elite stars in Amare & Carmelo this year? I wouldn't have believed them.

If Ewing had an elite top 10 star to match MJ & Pippen during the 90's? Who knows how many rings NY fans would have enjoyed?

We're now out of that era of Thomas cap hell, we turned our entire roster over, NY landed two megastars in Melo & Amare & we're finially in the playoff picture.

Judging by the multitude of post you have in this thread already, I would say you get it just fine. Probably didn't need to give up as much as we did. Finally had a team that was consistent in its roster. We liked the players that left. We have little tradeable pieces going into the future.

That said. No is is upset we have Melo. We will just miss the players that we gave up.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
Questioning someone's "fanhood" because he is not enthralled with the Melo trade is juvenile. I have been a Knicks fan for more than most of you have been alive and I am hardly 100% sold on the trade. We have two truly great offensive players, but we are back in cap hell with no 2012 draft pick, no 2014 draft pick, and no significant tradeable assets.

+1. Agreed 100%.

And for the record, I was against the trade from the beginning, since before the season even started, not after just 14 games.

knick32

Rookie
Carmelo needs to tip his hat to someone other than himself

+2

"Acting like a child is not the way to win over New York.
Becoming a leader is.
Instead of following Amare Stoudemire's lead, and being a team player, Carmelo Anthony is showing a side of himself that is less than superstar-like"...http://<wbr>saynotocarmelo.blogspot.com/

would like your opinion
thanks

iSaYughh

Starter
We were sold a bill of goods, or most accurately...bought one ourselves.

But this doesn't reflect Melo's ability, if it was a "good" trade (of course, in a vacuum it was), or whether Melo will play great for us.

But we gave up as much, and really more, than anyone expected, and did so in the most dubious and foreboding of ways (Ty James Dolan and IT).

This was never a yes/no trade for me, personally. I wanted Melo, bad, and have always felt he gave us the best *blueprint* for winning titles, vs standing pat. I made a thread on just this.

But I wanted him to come as part of an overall, fluid plan of us becoming champs, which starts and ends with us being and staying in a position of control, autonomy, and power.

Melo trade this was not.

The card shark play at this poker game was, and i still think it, to go for the jugular in the Melo-DEN gambit, and the "fallback" if we failed in our bid,

-- was FINALLY regaining NYK pride, on a management level, after so many rapes and the world viewing us as impatient, inept, bobbling baffoons to trade with and sign guys

-- keeping the current crop of playoff bound, promising youth and exprings to further evaluate and get even more in-tune with to further leverage

-- use all this to simply keep steady progression as a team and franchise, where WE are in control and have a true plan that gives us autonomy to make moves (not just ONE move, but a true fluid plan that we can use moving forward to build a no questions asked contender)

-- a la the ridiculous crop of bigs, and looming FA's...o ya, Deron Williams.

So it's bittersweet having Melo for me, who i always wanted, thought was *underrated* if anything; but im sure the bittersweetness many feel, thus aren't wearing perpetual rose colored glasses, especially when it concerns Melo and the true cost of the trade, from beginning to end

smokes

Huge Member

Um, wasn't it you who somehow gleaned the information that "Mike D'antoni never wanted to make this trade" and used that to defend him? :lol:

We're actually back in cap hell and have no way of getting a decent center now. Not to mention other than Douglas our bench is now terrible.
That has nothing to do with me being a life long Knicks fan, it's me looking at the situation without blinders on.
Could Ewing have used another star? Absolutely, but they could have won with a better supporting cast as well.

I understand where your coming from, but it's hard to consider us in cap hell when we have options of allowing Billups to walk; which saves us 12M.

By moving Turiaf (if he picks up his player-option) we could land a late 2nd or cash during a trade ; that saves 4M+ in cap.

That alone makes for 16M. Walsh can do a lot with 16M + 2 draft picks. For example: Douglas & Fields.

We could draft potential BIG's to backup the C & PF positions. Keep JJ.

With 16M NY could easily sign DeAndre, Nene, Dalembert or even Oden for cheap. Jordan may be the only C' expecting to sign for close to 10M per; because of his overall talents & potential.

That leaves NY with 6M+ to add depth to the bench & PG position behind TD during free agency.

We'll also gain some cap when allowing throw in's from the trade to walk; such as Shelden & Carter.

Billups is a veteran leader, but he's 35 & aging; not worth 12M; not when TD looks to be a real talent who's young, improved, up & coming, as well a huge defensive upgrade over Billups.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks was suppose to make a trade with Portland on the deadline for
anyone of their shooting-guards (Roy, or Rudy, or Mathews) to put in the
starting lineup with Amare/Chandler/and Felton. u build a wining postseason
team by covering all 5 positions. The Knicks had the SF-position covered
better than any other position on the roster with
Chandler/Gallo/S.Williams/Fields/Walker......what the hell we needed SF-
Carmelo for other than to raise the prices of tickets in MSG.
The trade was a Suckers-move and its not the first time the Knicks
made a Suckers-Move.

Patrick Ewing needed a scoring SF (X-Man & Spree) in his lineup to be
a FINALS contender, not any star-player at any position. Example:
Headcoach Pat Riley quit on us b/c Knick management was a fool and
showed it by hiring bum coach Don Nelson, and then got played like a
sucker when they traded a devastating role-player Anthony Mason for
super-star Larry Johnson. Sucker-Move!
Another Sucker-Move management made was trading Nene & Camby
for super-star (21-11) Mcdyess.

Excuse me..... u dont gut a team each season for 3 seasons in a row.
2) u dont keep a headcoach that decrease the trade-value of all your
players each season for 3 seasons in a row. So far Amare, Melo, and Billups
trade-value has been going down under headcoach Dantoni, while MSG
ticket prices has been rising through the roof.
3) u dont keep trading, trading, and trading players when the number #1
topic on the Knicks since 2006 has been "no effort on the defensive-end
of the court".
4) NBA announcers/analyst/and writers has been labeling this franchise
the "No-Defense Knicks" when we traded away Mutombo & Kurt Thomas.
5) The hiring of a well known Celebrity coach who lost his job coaching 3
or more Star-players b/c he was widely known in the NBA as the "No-
Defense-Coach" only added more trees to burn in the big Fire Isiah left
burning under the Knicks organization.
6) The coaches of the NBA top-15 scorers gave their scoring players
the green-light to get their season-high when playing the no-defense
Dantoni Knicks the past 3 seasons. And that's the good part b/c u know
the direction of the oposition offense, but when unname bench players
are consistenly getting season highs there leaves a big question mark on
the DEFENSE.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Hate to disagree with Kiya, but was and still am in big favor of the trade. For once we went with production over potential. The only guy I will miss is Will the Thrill, but he plays the same position as Melo and was a free agent at the end of the season anyway. As it sits we have locked up two of the best young players in the league while in the prime of thier careers. We can find role players and vets to fill in the gaps. We have had more nationally televised games since the trade than in the last five years combined. We are relevent and back in the conversation again and hopefully back in the playoffs with a chance to make hay. I know the Cocklovers are hurt, but this is a team sport. You can always go be Nuggets fans.....

la2ny

Starter
They are against it NOW because results aren't showing NOW. Same thing w/ Miami. Everyone wanted them to fail EPICALLY so when they started 9-8 people loved it and the hating was mercifully bliss and the media were like vamps. Then they figured something out and everyone stfu about what they did. Now we are having that issue Miami had and everyone that was scared MArbury would reincarate in Melo is enjoying life now because they feel what they were saying before the trade is justified now. The media is turning into vamps again because everytime the Knicks play what does it say at the bottom of the screen, Knicks 5-3 after Carmelo trade, 7-7 after Carmelo trade. All that said, what does everyone say when mentioning the Knicks, you don't want to play them in the playoffs. Everyone knows if they figure atleast an inkling out of something they can use to be succesfull in 3 weeks we will strike fear into any top team because we are NOT a 6-7 seed with our talent. If we had this team coming into the year we'd be the 2, 3 or 4 seed.

Well said la2ny; great post man. You really hit the nail on the head with that one.

If we had a full offseason of practice(s) & preseason game(s) with this team... We'd rank ahead of ORL as the 4 seed for sure. It wasn't long ago when we only trailed ORL by 4.5-5 games.

???

Does anyone else in here see that Amare and Melo do way to many of the same things? They both are in love with the mid range jumper and driving to the rim. On d.... well enough said.I don't hate the trade tho because we were going to lose Chandler to FA anyway, AR was never going to play, Melo is flat out better than Gallo (who I miss anyway) The only player I miss being gone right now in Mozzy! We suck inside and have no bigs! Oh and I'll go on the record (with others) on saying if we want to win it all anytime soon we should be looking into prying D.Howard away from Orlando next season and forget about CP3 or D.Will.... Can't coach size.

knicksin60

Starter
The only reason why I was against the Carmelo trade was because Al Harrington wasn't included in the package.

I don't think anyone has brought the defensive intensity for the Knicks in the last 10 years the way that Harrington brought it for them in the 2 years that he was here.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
The Knicks was suppose to make a trade with Portland on the deadline for
anyone of their shooting-guards (Roy, or Rudy, or Mathews) to put in the
starting lineup with Amare/Chandler/and Felton. u build a wining postseason
team by covering all 5 positions. The Knicks had the SF-position covered
better than any other position on the roster with
Chandler/Gallo/S.Williams/Fields/Walker......what the hell we needed SF-
Carmelo for other than to raise the prices of tickets in MSG.
The trade was a Suckers-move and its not the first time the Knicks
made a Suckers-Move.

Patrick Ewing needed a scoring SF (X-Man & Spree) in his lineup to be
a FINALS contender, not any star-player at any position. Example:
Headcoach Pat Riley quit on us b/c Knick management was a fool and
showed it by hiring bum coach Don Nelson, and then got played like a
sucker when they traded a devastating role-player Anthony Mason for
super-star Larry Johnson. Sucker-Move!
Another Sucker-Move management made was trading Nene & Camby
for super-star (21-11) Mcdyess.

Excuse me..... u dont gut a team each season for 3 seasons in a row.
2) u dont keep a headcoach that decrease the trade-value of all your
players each season for 3 seasons in a row. So far Amare, Melo, and Billups
trade-value has been going down under headcoach Dantoni, while MSG
ticket prices has been rising through the roof.
3) u dont keep trading, trading, and trading players when the number #1
topic on the Knicks since 2006 has been "no effort on the defensive-end
of the court".
4) NBA announcers/analyst/and writers has been labeling this franchise
the "No-Defense Knicks" when we traded away Mutombo & Kurt Thomas.
5) The hiring of a well known Celebrity coach who lost his job coaching 3
or more Star-players b/c he was widely known in the NBA as the "No-
Defense-Coach" only added more trees to burn in the big Fire Isiah left
burning under the Knicks organization.
6) The coaches of the NBA top-15 scorers gave their scoring players
the green-light to get their season-high when playing the no-defense
Dantoni Knicks the past 3 seasons. And that's the good part b/c u know
the direction of the oposition offense, but when unname bench players
are consistenly getting season highs there leaves a big question mark on
the DEFENSE.
:smokin: :gony: :smokin:

Aquiring Larry Johnson was a sucker move? Okay...glad to hear it. :barf: