Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Options other than D'Antoni...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Options other than D'Antoni...

    A lot of people on this site have been calling for D'Antoni's departure. I, personally haven't went that far but definitely have expressed my dissatisfaction for him and his defenseless style.

    That being said, who would you want as our next coach if you are of the "anti-DAntoni" breed?

    We can't be so quick to call for his firing without having a better option FOR NY. Emphasing for NY since I think D'Antoni is a good coach, just not for the team and situation we are in right now.

    So who out there that would be a better option than MDA? Or a better question, is there one...?

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Van Gundy, Sloan ( if he unretired ), or even Mark Jackson would be solid coaching options in my opinion.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    214
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Rick Adelman

  4. #4
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Ron Adams
    Brian Shaw
    Byron Scott
    Bill Laimbeer

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    The WNBA guy. We need to bring that Oakley toughness and respect back to this franchise.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I know some people would probably be against it, but I'm not against hiring a new coach who is a proven assistant waiting to lead a team. Look at Tom Thibodeau's success.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm just willing to give MDA a chance during the playoffs. He's earned that chance after two years of cap hell teams. I'm also willing to give him his 1st chance during the offseason to improve a playoff team into a serious playoff contender.

    But if not; I'd say JVG (But not until I 1st see how NY starts off the season next year). If we aren't a solid 5 gms above .500 after 20 gms next year; I'll be calling for a defensive coach too.

    Our D' must improve, but I keep reading talk of top 10 D's, but that may never happen with this team, not until we land a true C; because it's not happening with these players until we land a legit C, & replace the aging D of Billups with TD.

    I grew up watching top 5 D's & we still never won a chip under Riley so I'm giving MDA a fair shot.

    JJ isn't Ewing, Amare is no Oakley, Melo isn't Mason & Fields is no Starks.

    We may never see top 5 D's like those again; no matter the coach. We'll have to trade Amare & land Dwight. Not sure Melo & Amare can ever form a top 5-10 D....

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    I'm just willing to give MDA a chance during the playoffs. He's earned that chance after two years of cap hell teams. I'm also willing to give him his 1st chance during the offseason to improve a playoff team into a serious playoff contender.

    But if not; I'd say JVG (But not until I 1st see how NY starts off the season next year). If we aren't a solid 5 gms above .500 after 20 gms next year; I'll be calling for a defensive coach too.

    Our D' must improve, but I keep reading talk of top 10 D's, but that may never happen with this team, not until we land a true C; because it's not happening with these players until we land a legit C, & replace the aging D of Billups with TD.

    I grew up watching top 5 D's & we still never won a chip under Riley so I'm giving MDA a fair shot.

    JJ isn't Ewing, Amare is no Oakley, Melo isn't Mason & Fields is no Starks.

    We may never see top 5 D's like those again; no matter the coach. We'll have to trade Amare & land Dwight. Not sure Melo & Amare can ever form a top 5-10 D....
    I agree with you here. I would like to see MDA through the rest of the season. If we continue on our pace, we will know for sure what direction we should go in. If we see the players start to buy in more or focus on D more themselves, then maybe we look into expanding our assistant coach staff.

    With these players we have, and lets not kid ourselves, Amare and Carmelo ARE Prima Donna's, we need a hard nose "older, respected" coach with veteran experience. We need Amare and Melo to realize they do NOT run the team and THEY will have to focus on defending.

    Im afraid with a younger prospect coach, "A'Melo" may not break their mold and compete with the coach for leadership (i.e. Miami). To be honest, I like Doug Collins alot, or someone similar to him. Preaches and demands 100% on both sides of the court. Look at how well the Sixers have been with less talent.

    Just a thought...

  9. #9
    Member YungMelo15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In my hoop dreams
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by TheNYdude
    I agree with you here. I would like to see MDA through the rest of the season. If we continue on our pace, we will know for sure what direction we should go in. If we see the players start to buy in more or focus on D more themselves, then maybe we look into expanding our assistant coach staff.

    With these players we have, and lets not kid ourselves, Amare and Carmelo ARE Prima Donna's, we need a hard nose "older, respected" coach with veteran experience. We need Amare and Melo to realize they do NOT run the team and THEY will have to focus on defending.

    Im afraid with a younger prospect coach, "A'Melo" may not break their mold and compete with the coach for leadership (i.e. Miami). To be honest, I like Doug Collins alot, or someone similar to him. Preaches and demands 100% on both sides of the court. Look at how well the Sixers have been with less talent.

    Just a thought...
    He will make it throgh this season, no need to change now. Let him finish what he started. I dont see a chip at th end of it either. Doug collins is a good coach.

    I say JVG would be a perfect fit with this team. Larry brown quits on his teams, so he is sketchy.

    Bill lambier is a good choice as well.

    Deep down if we had defensive assistants for Dant we would be better off as well, but he aint having that lol. Who kows, maybe he puts his pride aside. Mike brown as assistant??

  10. #10
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    People that talk about the coaches seem to overlook the fact that the team on the floor are only reflections of their coach. Rarely do you see it the other way around(ex.Celtics). Heres some examples:

    Phil Jackson Lakers- THey kind of coast through seasons, brush off adversity, not too high not too low and turn up the intensity when needed and never panic. Thats Phil Jackson all day.

    Greg Popovich Spurs- Greatness and consistency personified. Just oozes how much they have worked in the gym and perfected the TEAM aspect of the game.

    Those are the best coaches in our game today and they have had the two best teams over the last 11 years.

    Coach D'antoni teams are a reflection of him aswell. Don't really focus on defense, have some defensive moments, but don't hold theirselves accountable on that end. The knicks lose focus because he does. He sits their and sulks in his chair next to his assistants then what does everyone else do they sulk and quit on the court. The bench players that don't play quit because they never see the court vs. another coach taking out an Amar'e or Melo and put the bench in to tell their asses step up their game or your not going to play Idc who you are. Another thing is I've seen a fastbreak offense work in the NBA, only problem is they also played D and hasn't worked since 79-80.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,301
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Herb Williams & Mark Aquire (bigman camp) would have did a 100 times
    better with Isiah Thomas $100M roster than any new coach. Especially
    if the plan was deleting the roster of long term high contract players
    within two seasons.

    Mike Dantoni so-call system belongs to the running uptempo All-Star players
    Nash/Joe Johnson/Marion/and Athletic freak of nature Amare.
    These All-Star players creative talent does not need any specific design-
    play vs average teams in a 82 game regular season. They were superior in
    creating an offense from the outstanding fancy passing of uptempo Steve
    Nash in a transition system.
    Marbury halfcourt passing was few to none leading the same All-Star players
    to just a 44 win season under headcoach Frank Johnoson.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Yeah but Phil always had great defensive players. Shaq, Gasol, Bryant, Artest, Bynum, Odom, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, etc etc. MDA had Nash who's always been a horrid on D' & Amare who plays a soft by nature. MDA never had great defenders to work with. Shaq was used up after ORL, LA & MIA when MDA was asked to start an aging C' after losing his best defender in the Matrix. That trade killed PHX.

    Not saying Phil isn't a great coach because he's amazing; but I'm sure he's also been a reflection of his players. It goes both ways.

    It's impossible to judge MDA's D' ability with NY; when he's started well over 20 different starters in less than 3 years; Most of any NBA coach. I cant agree with him "not playing" guys just for the fun of it either. Marbury, Duhon, Nate, Felton, Billups, TD, Crawford, T.Mac, Fields, Gallo, Chandler, Melo, Walker, Sh.Williams, Z.Bo, Darko, Curry, Lee, Amare, Mozgov, Turiaf, JJ...

    Never had a chance to build our D. Cap Hell forced MDA to scrap & turn over enitre team(s) & roster(s). JMHO

  13. #13
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Yeah but Phil always had great defensive players. Shaq, Gasol, Bryant, Artest, Bynum, Odom, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, etc etc. MDA had Nash who's always been a horrid on D' & Amare who plays a soft by nature. MDA never had great defenders to work with. Shaq was used up after ORL, LA & MIA when MDA was asked to start an aging C' after losing his best defender in the Matrix. That trade killed PHX.

    Not saying Phil isn't a great coach because he's amazing; but I'm sure he's also been a reflection of his players. It goes both ways.

    It's impossible to judge MDA's D' ability with NY; when he's started well over 20 different starters in less than 3 years; Most of any NBA coach. I cant agree with him "not playing" guys just for the fun of it either. Marbury, Duhon, Nate, Felton, Billups, TD, Crawford, T.Mac, Fields, Gallo, Chandler, Melo, Walker, Sh.Williams, Z.Bo, Darko, Curry, Lee, Amare, Mozgov, Turiaf, JJ...

    Never had a chance to build our D. Cap Hell forced MDA to scrap & turn over enitre team(s) & roster(s). JMHO
    Listen this isn't even about D, this is about just playing a certain way. They don't do the fundamental things. Phil has Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher in training camp doing fundamental drills with rooks lol. They have been in the league 15 years and still have to because he demands it from them knowing it helps in the long run. They have lazy moments and don't do it sometimes then he holds them accountable for it. I really haven't seen Mike do that, he just brushes it off as "missing shots".

    Why did you go into defending him starting different players and things this thread was started to discuss different options that people wanted not another debate about D'ant building a team and not having the right players.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by la2ny
    Listen this isn't even about D, this is about just playing a certain way. They don't do the fundamental things. Phil has Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher in training camp doing fundamental drills with rooks lol. They have been in the league 15 years and still have to because he demands it from them knowing it helps in the long run. They have lazy moments and don't do it sometimes then he holds them accountable for it. I really haven't seen Mike do that, he just brushes it off as "missing shots".

    Why did you go into defending him starting different players and things this thread was started to discuss different options that people wanted not another debate about D'ant building a team and not having the right players.
    Intresting topic, and I think it's pretty true. Same for Sloan's teams.

    In all these instances tho, it was a process of years -- almost always signified by at least one major draft lottery hit -- that started the process.

    Also, don't discount management and front office. They were as in sync and sturdy as the coaches (eg Jackson, Pop regimes).

    Now look at us..

    Or, really, look at PHO w th D'ant example.

    If we open this page of the book, you have to factor how *abysmal* the front office was when D'ant was there. Specifically, after D'ant/the roster were a legit juggernaut taking the NBA by storm, and had a championship window.

    This is just legit fact. PHO front office was a total disgrace then, cheap as ****, and showed zero desire to win and make a commitment to the excellence that the PHO roster clearly had going for it.

    We look at PHO and go what if what what if...if the bogus suspensions didn't happen, if th Spurs weren't quite so good and stifling..

    But really, the most damning thing is that the very championship window was shut so soon, and weakened along the way, by the front office,

    Thereby giving the fewest number of chances for that squad to go to battle in peak form, and thus stifle a championship run, which is always an against-the-odds feat to begin with.

    Juxtapose this with these other great *franchises*, highlighted by of course great coaches.

  15. #15
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Yeah but Phil always had great defensive players. Shaq, Gasol, Bryant, Artest, Bynum, Odom, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, etc etc. MDA had Nash who's always been a horrid on D' & Amare who plays a soft by nature. MDA never had great defenders to work with. Shaq was used up after ORL, LA & MIA when MDA was asked to start an aging C' after losing his best defender in the Matrix. That trade killed PHX.

    Not saying Phil isn't a great coach because he's amazing; but I'm sure he's also been a reflection of his players. It goes both ways.

    It's impossible to judge MDA's D' ability with NY; when he's started well over 20 different starters in less than 3 years; Most of any NBA coach. I cant agree with him "not playing" guys just for the fun of it either. Marbury, Duhon, Nate, Felton, Billups, TD, Crawford, T.Mac, Fields, Gallo, Chandler, Melo, Walker, Sh.Williams, Z.Bo, Darko, Curry, Lee, Amare, Mozgov, Turiaf, JJ...

    Never had a chance to build our D. Cap Hell forced MDA to scrap & turn over enitre team(s) & roster(s). JMHO
    Dude he had Marion and Raja Bell two great defenders wtf are you talking about?Are you Mike D'antoni in disguise?

Similar Threads

  1. D'antoni Accepts Offer to Coach Knicks
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Jan 26, 2012, 17:27
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: May 17, 2011, 11:40
  3. NOW Mike D'Antoni doesnt believe in Duhon
    By StreetDreams21 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 13, 2009, 16:11
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2008, 18:13
  5. D'antoni in Love with the Big ****
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jul 14, 2008, 11:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •