Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options other than D'Antoni...

Default Options other than D'Antoni...

A lot of people on this site have been calling for D'Antoni's departure. I, personally haven't went that far but definitely have expressed my dissatisfaction for him and his defenseless style.

That being said, who would you want as our next coach if you are of the "anti-DAntoni" breed?

We can't be so quick to call for his firing without having a better option FOR NY. Emphasing for NY since I think D'Antoni is a good coach, just not for the team and situation we are in right now.

So who out there that would be a better option than MDA? Or a better question, is there one...?

Van Gundy, Sloan ( if he unretired ), or even Mark Jackson would be solid coaching options in my opinion.

Rick Adelman

Ron Adams
    Brian Shaw
    Byron Scott
    Bill Laimbeer

Veteran

The WNBA guy. We need to bring that Oakley toughness and respect back to this franchise.

I know some people would probably be against it, but I'm not against hiring a new coach who is a proven assistant waiting to lead a team. Look at Tom Thibodeau's success.

Originally Posted by NY17
    I know some people would probably be against it, but I'm not against hiring a new coach who is a proven assistant waiting to lead a team. Look at Tom Thibodeau's success.
    All the names I listed besides Byron were/are assistants

Originally Posted by la2ny
    All the names I listed besides Byron were/are assistants
    Yes I was referring to people's general opinion on what I've read here, obviously they all aren't the same. Your list had some good names on it, Brian Shaw would be my top option of the ones you listed.

Throw out this season. Put an interim coach till the end of the playoffs (i'm afraid it would come soon for us). Then hire DOC RIVERS in the summer.

Another option is to keep Pringles to finish the season but this is dangerous. If a miracle happens and the Knicks win the first playoff series people will be tempted to fool themselves again with the "NY is back" stuff.

I have the feeling that even a coach like Doc Rivers or Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't take us to the finals.

40% of our starting 5 don't play defense. You think they would change just because the coach looks different? I don't think so.

The real problem is Dolan. As long as he runs this franchise we won't turn into a serious title contender. All he wants to do is bring in big names (preferably from the NY area) to increase ticket prices and merchandising sales. He doesn't care whether they're real franchise players with a well balanced overall game or not.

We need Spike Lee as owner - seriously.

Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    I have the feeling that even a coach like Doc Rivers or Jeff Van Gundy wouldn't take us to the finals.

40% of our starting 5 don't play defense. You think they would change just because the coach looks different? I don't think so.

The real problem is Dolan. As long as he runs this franchise we won't turn into a serious title contender. All he wants to do is bring in big names (preferably from the NY area) to increase ticket prices and merchandising sales. He doesn't care whether they're real franchise players with a well balanced overall game or not.

We need Spike Lee as owner - seriously.
    It's not about the coach looking different but what that coach brings to the table. If we installed a coach who's going to preach, teach, install, implement, and demand solid team defense (Ron Adams gets my vote of confidence) then the team will play solid team defense.

The fact that the Knicks, on a game to game basis, play defense as if it's optional means that either MDA isn't teaching it, or they're not listening to him. So no, just changing the face won't guarantee anything, but getting the right guy is a start.

I know Dolan can be knuckle-headed, but my trust goes to Donnie. Dolan can be as stupid as he wants, but when you get Carmelo to join Amar'e, all you need is average to above average defense and an offense revolving around half court sets to get both guys their shots in their spots, comfortably, and you have a team that will go deep in the playoffs. That can totally be accomplished with a dick head owner. It's just MDA's system that's not conducive to that vision with this current roster.

I actually want to feel a little bad for him, because he spent 2 seasons waiting for "his" kind of team, and as soon as it's looking like we're going in that direction, the opportunity to get a top-3 SF to join our top-3 PF arrises and we, like any organization would, jump at the chance to get him and do so....only problem is that his style and the coach's style don't mesh. Now....one guy has coached a bunch of solid teams with "his kind" of players to nice regular season win totals and nothing more, the other guy can drop 25 points in his sleep and grab 9 rebounds....oh and hit game winning shots with the flu. So the coach with the wrong system and mindset for this roster is more replaceable than arguably the best pure scorer in the game, in his prime, at 26. So right when it's like "damn...MDA kinda wasted 2 seasons cause he's no longer right for the job" he goes and says **** like "ehhhhhhhhhhh mmmmmmmm ehhh such is life" after asked about STAT's turnovers.................."get the **** out."

Veteran

Larry Brown's looking for work. lol

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

I'm just willing to give MDA a chance during the playoffs. He's earned that chance after two years of cap hell teams. I'm also willing to give him his 1st chance during the offseason to improve a playoff team into a serious playoff contender.

But if not; I'd say JVG (But not until I 1st see how NY starts off the season next year). If we aren't a solid 5 gms above .500 after 20 gms next year; I'll be calling for a defensive coach too.

Our D' must improve, but I keep reading talk of top 10 D's, but that may never happen with this team, not until we land a true C; because it's not happening with these players until we land a legit C, & replace the aging D of Billups with TD.

I grew up watching top 5 D's & we still never won a chip under Riley so I'm giving MDA a fair shot.

JJ isn't Ewing, Amare is no Oakley, Melo isn't Mason & Fields is no Starks.

We may never see top 5 D's like those again; no matter the coach. We'll have to trade Amare & land Dwight. Not sure Melo & Amare can ever form a top 5-10 D....

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    I'm just willing to give MDA a chance during the playoffs. He's earned that chance after two years of cap hell teams. I'm also willing to give him his 1st chance during the offseason to improve a playoff team into a serious playoff contender.

But if not; I'd say JVG (But not until I 1st see how NY starts off the season next year). If we aren't a solid 5 gms above .500 after 20 gms next year; I'll be calling for a defensive coach too.

Our D' must improve, but I keep reading talk of top 10 D's, but that may never happen with this team, not until we land a true C; because it's not happening with these players until we land a legit C, & replace the aging D of Billups with TD.

I grew up watching top 5 D's & we still never won a chip under Riley so I'm giving MDA a fair shot.

JJ isn't Ewing, Amare is no Oakley, Melo isn't Mason & Fields is no Starks.

We may never see top 5 D's like those again; no matter the coach. We'll have to trade Amare & land Dwight. Not sure Melo & Amare can ever form a top 5-10 D....
    I agree with you here. I would like to see MDA through the rest of the season. If we continue on our pace, we will know for sure what direction we should go in. If we see the players start to buy in more or focus on D more themselves, then maybe we look into expanding our assistant coach staff.

With these players we have, and lets not kid ourselves, Amare and Carmelo ARE Prima Donna's, we need a hard nose "older, respected" coach with veteran experience. We need Amare and Melo to realize they do NOT run the team and THEY will have to focus on defending.

Im afraid with a younger prospect coach, "A'Melo" may not break their mold and compete with the coach for leadership (i.e. Miami). To be honest, I like Doug Collins alot, or someone similar to him. Preaches and demands 100% on both sides of the court. Look at how well the Sixers have been with less talent.

Just a thought...

Originally Posted by TheNYdude
    I agree with you here. I would like to see MDA through the rest of the season. If we continue on our pace, we will know for sure what direction we should go in. If we see the players start to buy in more or focus on D more themselves, then maybe we look into expanding our assistant coach staff.

With these players we have, and lets not kid ourselves, Amare and Carmelo ARE Prima Donna's, we need a hard nose "older, respected" coach with veteran experience. We need Amare and Melo to realize they do NOT run the team and THEY will have to focus on defending.

Im afraid with a younger prospect coach, "A'Melo" may not break their mold and compete with the coach for leadership (i.e. Miami). To be honest, I like Doug Collins alot, or someone similar to him. Preaches and demands 100% on both sides of the court. Look at how well the Sixers have been with less talent.

Just a thought...
    He will make it throgh this season, no need to change now. Let him finish what he started. I dont see a chip at th end of it either. Doug collins is a good coach.

I say JVG would be a perfect fit with this team. Larry brown quits on his teams, so he is sketchy.

Bill lambier is a good choice as well.

Deep down if we had defensive assistants for Dant we would be better off as well, but he aint having that lol. Who kows, maybe he puts his pride aside. Mike brown as assistant??