Options other than D'Antoni...

Kiyaman

Legend
Yeah but Phil always had great defensive players. Shaq, Gasol, Bryant, Artest, Bynum, Odom, MJ, Pippen, Rodman, etc etc. MDA had Nash who's always been a horrid on D' & Amare who plays a soft by nature. MDA never had great defenders to work with. Shaq was used up after ORL, LA & MIA when MDA was asked to start an aging C' after losing his best defender in the Matrix. That trade killed PHX.

Not saying Phil isn't a great coach because he's amazing; but I'm sure he's also been a reflection of his players. It goes both ways.

It's impossible to judge MDA's D' ability with NY; when he's started well over 20 different starters in less than 3 years; Most of any NBA coach. I cant agree with him "not playing" guys just for the fun of it either. Marbury, Duhon, Nate, Felton, Billups, TD, Crawford, T.Mac, Fields, Gallo, Chandler, Melo, Walker, Sh.Williams, Z.Bo, Darko, Curry, Lee, Amare, Mozgov, Turiaf, JJ...

Never had a chance to build our D. Cap Hell forced MDA to scrap & turn over enitre team(s) & roster(s). JMHO

Phil Jackson was the Knicks defensive 6th-man off the bench.....Shaq never played any defense untill coached by Phil Jackson.
Phil Jackson inhereted 4 ALL-Stars when he took the job for the Lakers, and Phil traded two of the All-Stars (Van Exell & Eddie) in his first month on the Lakers Job. Phil Jax had 3-primary role-players that kept Super-Star Kobe & Shaq in order to their scoring-role in the "Tri-Angle" system.....Phil Jax Pet-Players that called all the shots were Harper, starting SF-???, and Horry to win 3-Championship Rings.

Never never never put Damnphony in the same sentence with HOF Headcoach Phil Jackson. Example:
Bill Cartwright was a career 20-10 NBA player since his rookie season with the Knicks (while Bernard King was scoring 50 points on teams, u can still depend on Bill Cartwright to shoot 59% for a 20-10 stat in those games.). Coach Phil Jax seen other talents in Bill Cartwright performance he needed to put with Jordan/Pippin/Grant to be top contenders. So Jax had 14 rebounds per game Oakley traded to the Knicks for Bill Cartwright (Last piece for the Dynasty) to win the next 3 consecutive Rings.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What do you guys think about hiring Mike Budenholzer?He's been Greg Popovich's assistant coach for well over a decade now so I'm guessing he knows how to teach defense.I think this guy is the next Thibbs.Budenholzer has everything I want in the Knicks next head coach. He's young (39), he's been an assistant for a successful team (Spurs), and learned from one of the best coaches ever (Popovich). Seriously, what's not to like?

Last edited:

clumsy

Rotation player
I would grab anyone from the Rockets assistant coaching staff. Mainly because no team has done better with undersized, under skilled players than they have. Come on they developed a 6'6 center in Chuck Hayes to be a quality defensive and rebounding role player.

They said that Elston Turner is available.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Mike Bud looks like he knows his **** and he preaches DEFENSE.There is a reason why Greg Pop has so much trust in him.

Budenholzer or Ron Adams should be the top two candidates from the assistant coach ranks. I would throw Shaw in there as well but #1) he's probably laying in wait for the Lake Show job and #2) I personally don't know much about him as a coach.

knicksin60

Starter
Well let's see...there is the Green Hornet, Mr.Met, Ronald Mcdonald and Ashlee Simpson.

Any one of them would be an upgrade over Mike D'antoni.

iSaYughh

Starter
Listen this isn't even about D, this is about just playing a certain way. They don't do the fundamental things. Phil has Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher in training camp doing fundamental drills with rooks lol. They have been in the league 15 years and still have to because he demands it from them knowing it helps in the long run. They have lazy moments and don't do it sometimes then he holds them accountable for it. I really haven't seen Mike do that, he just brushes it off as "missing shots".

Why did you go into defending him starting different players and things this thread was started to discuss different options that people wanted not another debate about D'ant building a team and not having the right players.

Intresting topic, and I think it's pretty true. Same for Sloan's teams.

In all these instances tho, it was a process of years -- almost always signified by at least one major draft lottery hit -- that started the process.

Also, don't discount management and front office. They were as in sync and sturdy as the coaches (eg Jackson, Pop regimes).

Now look at us..

Or, really, look at PHO w th D'ant example.

If we open this page of the book, you have to factor how *abysmal* the front office was when D'ant was there. Specifically, after D'ant/the roster were a legit juggernaut taking the NBA by storm, and had a championship window.

This is just legit fact. PHO front office was a total disgrace then, cheap as ****, and showed zero desire to win and make a commitment to the excellence that the PHO roster clearly had going for it.

We look at PHO and go what if what what if...if the bogus suspensions didn't happen, if th Spurs weren't quite so good and stifling..

But really, the most damning thing is that the very championship window was shut so soon, and weakened along the way, by the front office,

Thereby giving the fewest number of chances for that squad to go to battle in peak form, and thus stifle a championship run, which is always an against-the-odds feat to begin with.

Juxtapose this with these other great *franchises*, highlighted by of course great coaches.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Nice thread by the way, but instead of Options other than D'Antoni... I am thinking more along the lines of ANYONE other than D'Antoni...

iSaYughh

Starter
The Grim Reaper

ISayUgh ToeMyAss

Homer Simpson

Soulja Boy...

Thx for the vote of confidence.

First order of business will be to swiftly steal Brendon Haywood from Cuban for some reliable size, and give us what Jerome James was in that glorious 3playoff game span that demanded his ML contract.

Take back Jason Kidd for some longterm star power in the process, and just relinquish Billups' expiring, our 2011, and sweeten the pot (or is it...) by allowing draft swapping rights through the decade, in a move of solidarity and strength that The Knicks Are Back on top.