Time to trade Melo!!!!!

Go ahead & make the CANT WAIT (in a Bart Scott voice) playoff thread.

I don't care how we've been playing, because that cant stop me from dreaming about the Knicks heading into the playoffs led by two of the NBA's top 10 stars in Amare Stoudemire & Carmelo Anthony.

KG & Pierce / Bosh & LeBron etc, etc... We have a PF-SF duo that can compete with any SF-PF duo around. Bring it.

Really cant wait for Billups come playoff time. He's the main reason why I feel we'll have a chance to compete against any Eastern Conf team. Great leader @ the PG position, exactly the type of floor general that a team needs come playoff time, 30+ games of playoff experience + a Finals MVP award under his belt etc etc I can go on & on about a healthy Billups. Strong from 3 & comes up big during the clutch during pressure situations. Deadly.

It's gonna be exciting watching our two home grown talents in Douglas & Fields come playoff time. Cant wait to see these kids D-Up & move without the ball with New York written on their jersey.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all week....

Melo played his heart out last night man!!

If anyone is to blame for this loss it's Shawne Williams wo was absolutely useless on both ends of the floor.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
Am I overeacting to tonight's loss....maybe.....but the fact remains what Melo brings to the table is not what these Knicks need!

But about tonight's game, how many times did you hear Mike Breen and Walt talk about the offense becoming stagnent and of those times how many times was those on possessions where Melo was in the game?

How many times did you hear Mike and Walt state "that is not a good shot at all from Carmelo"

The dude clogs up the offense.

Carmelo is not a leader!!!!! He needs to be on a team with an established core of players and veteren leadership because he is not going to bring that himself.

For a "superstar player" he makes a lot of dumb plays on both ends on the floor

Potential trades for Melo

Lakers give up Bynum and Odom for Melo

Portland give up Camby and Wallace

Clippers give up Kaman and Eric Gordon

and yes cap nerds I do realize this deals dont all matchup salary wise and woudl need more players thrown in.

But all of these deals round out our roster better than having Melo.

Billups
Feilds
Odom
Stat
Bynum

Billups
Feilds
Gerald Wallace
Stat
Camby

Billups
Gordon
Feilds
Stat
Kaman

all of those starting 5's are significantly better than what we have now and allow for Stat to become the leader with a good cast of players around him.

trade this dude this off season before he no longer has trade value!!!!

:whatever:

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Moving on with Melo

We have two super star offensive players and a very smart but aging point guard in Billups. Fields is solid, Douglas is erratic and not particularly good at distributing the ball. Shawne Williams has his moments. Besides our stars, we have very little else.

Billups has lost a couple of steps and has difficulty keeping up with quicker point guards. He is hardly perfect in D'Antoni's run and gun system.

Melo has focussed his immense skills on scoring. He does not play much defense, particularly much team defense and with Denver, at least, he did not really play "team" ball. But given his athletic skills he certainly has the capacity to do so. He is trying to adjust.

Whether we like D'Antoni's system or not, our current team is not built for that system. We have a lot of adjusting to do without a lot of talented parts with which to do it. I cringe whenever I see Jefferies and Turiaf on the floor together. How can there be effective ball movement when two out of five of the players hardly need guarding? Derrick Brown has got to be better than Jefferies.

Melo is right. Do not count on too much this year. I was not a fan of the trade, but what is done is done. Melo is a proud man. There is no way that he wants to fail in New York. He and Amare' will adjust their games with appropriate coaching and a couple of more pieces. It is not going to be easy to get the pieces given our lack of flexibility in cap space and assets. I am not particularly confident that D"Antoni can create a system that will work with what we have and will likely have in the next few years. We need some good fortune in the draft. If we do not drop Bilups we do not have a chance at improving the center spot unless Jerome Jordan comes back from Europe a changed player. Even if we drop Billups and assume a cap equivalent to this year's $58M, we will have less than $10M in cap space.

i think in the trade we actually stepped back for this year. But we could be much better next year.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
We have two super star offensive players and a very smart but aging point guard in Billups. Fields is solid, Douglas is erratic and not particularly good at distributing the ball. Shawne Williams has his moments. Besides our stars, we have very little else.

Billups has lost a couple of steps and has difficulty keeping up with quicker point guards. He is hardly perfect in D'Antoni's run and gun system.

Melo has focussed his immense skills on scoring. He does not play much defense, particularly much team defense and with Denver, at least, he did not really play "team" ball. But given his athletic skills he certainly has the capacity to do so. He is trying to adjust.

Whether we like D'Antoni's system or not, our current team is not built for that system. We have a lot of adjusting to do without a lot of talented parts with which to do it. I cringe whenever I see Jefferies and Turiaf on the floor together. How can there be effective ball movement when two out of five of the players hardly need guarding? Derrick Brown has got to be better than Jefferies.

Melo is right. Do not count on too much this year. I was not a fan of the trade, but what is done is done. Melo is a proud man. There is no way that he wants to fail in New York. He and Amare' will adjust their games with appropriate coaching and a couple of more pieces. It is not going to be easy to get the pieces given our lack of flexibility in cap space and assets. I am not particularly confident that D"Antoni can create a system that will work with what we have and will likely have in the next few years. We need some good fortune in the draft. If we do not drop Bilups we do not have a chance at improving the center spot unless Jerome Jordan comes back from Europe a changed player. Even if we drop Billups and assume a cap equivalent to this year's $58M, we will have less than $10M in cap space.

i think in the trade we actually stepped back for this year. But we could be much better next year.

Level headed and objective. I agree with just about everything written.

New New York

Quiet Storm
LOL, far from a troll, no offense taken by any of the insults hurled at me!!!

I completley understand the feeling that many of you have with me possibly jumping the gun on this and that I may be grossly over reacting.

But here me out.

This is not based soley on the performance of the team since we got Melo (although it does speak to what my concerns are)

The fact remains is that Carmelo was not what The Knicks needed!!!!

Now I am not one of these people who thinks we gave up too much for Melo, I just don't think we shouldve traded for him at all.

Think about it....We are still getting hammered on the glass, this team can play together for 40 more games this season and that is not going to improve! Which is why every trade I suggested had us getting someone to bang on the boards.

Point 2:We are also a terrible club at defending the paint (amongst other areas of the floor) this was true before the Melo trade and is true now!!! and one can argue that Wilson Chandler and Gallo did help out somewhat in this regard thus a regression after getting Melo.

Point 3: The Knicks play their worst on offense when we stand around....well Carmelo holds the ball for about 7 seconds when he gets it, thus we standing around watching him with the ball.

I know its just easy to say "give it time" but all the time in the world will not solve these issues.

Trade Melo and balance out the roster is all I am saying

Because the longer he plays in NY, the more his weakness will continue to get exposed.

nyrules16

Rookie
Think about this for a second.

Would any team (apart from the Celtics) rather have their starting PG, SF and PF over ours?

People need to sack up and accept what we have. We have a quality player in Melo any other team would LOVE to have. He is a rare talent and people need to understand it takes time to develop chemistry.

NY17

Benchwarmer
We are not a "team". We're a team
Oh.
Sometimes you never know what you have in a great boxer until he goes down for the 1st time. (Tyson) or does he get back up & fight with heart like Rocky?
Rocky? Well, if we are using fictional stories then I will tell you all about this episode of Hey Arnold. Arnold, Gerald, and friends once took on the 5th graders in a game of football who have been playing together for years. Whoever won the game won rights to the football field in the middle of the city. Arnold and his friends won the game even though it was their first time running the plays and playing on the same team ever. They didn't need time to gel like you are giving the Knicks time to gel.
Some fans just have no clue how to support an up & coming team. "Fire the coach".
Thanks for being a perfect example.

TommyMSG

Rookie
I love it when one annoyingly negative poster argues with an annoyingly positive one.

Actually, no, I hate it. God help this site.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
I really wish we could of just signed melo in the offseason and kept Will,gallo and ray but whats done is done.

Either way, The only sf in the league(all around) better than melo (It hurtsme to say this) is lebron.

I dont care what we had before, we upgrade adding melo. We got rid of 3 STARTERS. Our bench is hurting rigt now, but at the sam time we have to fire power to really be a solid team.

Im pissed we lost yesterday, but that game shows that we can compete with ANY team once we actually become a team.

We just have superstars and role players right now. I will have patience with them as they continue to get better as a unit.

So saying trade Melo is BS IMO. Iunderstand losing is frustrating, but since 04 we have been doing just that. Losing.

We will make the playoffs and get better this offseason. Period!

Cant get worse then what it was...

Am I overeacting to tonight's loss....maybe.....but the fact remains what Melo brings to the table is not what these Knicks need!

But about tonight's game, how many times did you hear Mike Breen and Walt talk about the offense becoming stagnent and of those times how many times was those on possessions where Melo was in the game?

How many times did you hear Mike and Walt state "that is not a good shot at all from Carmelo"

The dude clogs up the offense.

Carmelo is not a leader!!!!! He needs to be on a team with an established core of players and veteren leadership because he is not going to bring that himself.

For a "superstar player" he makes a lot of dumb plays on both ends on the floor

Potential trades for Melo

Lakers give up Bynum and Odom for Melo

Portland give up Camby and Wallace

Clippers give up Kaman and Eric Gordon

and yes cap nerds I do realize this deals dont all matchup salary wise and woudl need more players thrown in.

But all of these deals round out our roster better than having Melo.

Billups
Feilds
Odom
Stat
Bynum

Billups
Feilds
Gerald Wallace
Stat
Camby

Billups
Gordon
Feilds
Stat
Kaman

all of those starting 5's are significantly better than what we have now and allow for Stat to become the leader with a good cast of players around him.

trade this dude this off season before he no longer has trade value!!!!

The Knicks need a more conventional coach is what they need. They need to put STATS big ass down in the paint 50% of the time and stop using him 12ft out or more 100% of the time. That's what they need...

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
I really wish we could of just signed melo in the offseason and kept Will,gallo and ray but whats done is done.

Either way, The only sf in the league(all around) better than melo (It hurtsme to say this) is lebron.

I dont care what we had before, we upgrade adding melo. We got rid of 3 STARTERS. Our bench is hurting rigt now, but at the sam time we have to fire power to really be a solid team.

Im pissed we lost yesterday, but that game shows that we can compete with ANY team once we actually become a team.

We just have superstars and role players right now. I will have patience with them as they continue to get better as a unit.

So saying trade Melo is BS IMO. Iunderstand losing is frustrating, but since 04 we have been doing just that. Losing.

We will make the playoffs and get better this offseason. Period!

Cant get worse then what it was...

I really saw nothing positive but another loss. If we lose tomorrow and play hard but lose like we did against boston, Will that be something to be proud of ?

I really don't consider melo a superstar, He is a very good offensive scorer. But Superstars, Know how to play defense, like kobe, MJ in his prime.
Durant, lebron, And heck even rose is going to be a superstar. This kid is only 22 and is only getting better.

I do like melo, Don't get me wrong. But he is kind of Overrated. I'm just hoping if there's a next season..That this team is so much better than what they are right now.:gony:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Trade Melo to New Jersey for the two picks they wouldve given Denver but did not have to give Utah and a large trade exception,since they will have the cap and will need to convice Deron Williams to stay and Melo would do that for them.

Thus freeing up 18 million (assuming the cap comes in at 60 million)

Bring in Wilson and Tyson Chandler

Billups
Feilds
Wilson
Stat
Tyson Chandler

or

Billups
Feilds
Melo
Stat
Tariaf/Shawn Williams or Jefferies

Try to tell me our current starting 5 is better!

We would actually gain one point per game! we would get 7 more rebs and 2 more blocks and overall a much more balanced team.

Please someone show me how I'm wrong in thinking we would not be a better team in this scenerio!!!!

Bring in my man Jeff Van Gundy to coach and we are back to The Finals within two years

Another point to consider when for all of you who swear by the idea we need two superstars.

Remember last time Melo played w/ a fellow Superstar player....allow me to give you a reminder.....it was Allen Iverson, the two of them scored a lot of points Denver made the playoffs and was consider "a dangerous first round opponent" but was bounced out of the first round twice!!!!

Not being a pessimist like some of you have labled me, Im just not gassed because we have two "superstar players" now!

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
I really saw nothing positive but another loss. If we lose tomorrow and play hard but lose like we did against boston, Will that be something to be proud of ?

I really don't consider melo a superstar, He is a very good offensive scorer. But Superstars, Know how to play defense, like kobe, MJ in his prime.
Durant, lebron, And heck even rose is going to be a superstar. This kid is only 22 and is only getting better.

I do like melo, Don't get me wrong. But he is kind of Overrated. I'm just hoping if there's a next season..That this team is so much better than what they are right now.:gony:
Im sorry but durant is NOT better than Melo. There are a select few people in this league that can actually guard somebody, and the league likes/makes it that way because offense sells tickets.

The league has changed sooo much since the MJ years. PLayers cant D up like they used to, no hand checking, flopping and crap like that makes it easier for offensive players to dominate the game.

Defense is a team thing, its not about 1 player defensively unless your dwight howard (The ONLY exception).

There are MAYBE 10 players you could pick over Melo. Him overrated is rediculous. Im not trying to argue, but what makes you think he is overrated?

As we all know defens wins championships (excuse the cliches) and the team has to be built to win it. Were missing a few key elements. When we do win though, Melo will be the player to get us over the hump. (STAT too)

knickfan2112

Benchwarmer
whoever made this thread is just as idiotic as the person who posted that andre iguodala and monta ellis were just as good as carmello anthony

NewYork 21 Knicks

Benchwarmer
i actually love the odom bynum lineup thats depth, size and experience they both have 2 rings and are great players plus we can get rid of jeffries.... great deal