Crawford Wants to Win

jsm0331

Benchwarmer
New York Post:
Jamal Crawford hasn't won all that many basketball games. He played two years in high school, part of one season at Michigan, and with a lousy Bulls team for his first four years in the NBA.

Despite that inexperience, the newest Knick said the team has a chance to win a championship soon.

"Last year, everyone said the Lakers were going to win and they didn't," Crawford said yesterday at the Knicks' training facility in Greenburgh, where he was introduced with fellow former Bull Jerome Williams. "We have enough talent on this team to compete with anyone, and once the playoffs start, anything can happen."

Even a Knicks title?

"I don't want to put a timetable on it," said Crawford.

"But nobody expected the Pistons to do what they did, and I hope we can do something like that, too."

Crawford is expected to be a very highly-paid bench player (seven years, $56 million). He's coming off of his most productive season, during which he scored 17.3 ppg.

"I'm very excited to be here," said Crawford, 24, "whether that's coming off the bench or starting. I just wanted this because of everything Isiah [Thomas] is doing."

He said he wouldn't have a problem playing behind Stephon Marbury and Allan Houston.

"Those are two Hall of Famers," Crawford, a 6-5 guard, said. "And it's not like I wouldn't be on the court. I'll be getting better every day in practice."

Thomas was reveling in the success of getting Crawford in yet another move to reshape the once-stagnant Knicks. Thomas said he wasn't concerned about playing time becoming a problem.

"He definitely has All-Star potential," Thomas said of Crawford. "If he, Steph and Allan all are healthy, I can see us using a three-guard offense, too."

Lenny Wilkens said he would consider that option.

"I've never had a problem with that," Wilkens said.

He also said he was confident that Crawford would adapt well to whatever role he was given.

"Jamal is just finding out now what he has to do to become successful in this league," Wilkens said. "That's a great time to get a player."

Wilkens coached Williams, a 6-9 forward who averaged 6.2 points and 7.0 rebounds last season, in Toronto.

"He's very versatile and he doesn't worry about scoring," Wilkens said.

Instead, Williams, 31, said he was interested in making the Knicks a contender.

"Right now, we're a top-5 team in the East," Williams said. "If we add players, like a Dampier, that will send us over the top."

Crawford agreed.

"Without a doubt, we can make a run in the playoffs," Crawford said. "We have so many great guys on this team."

ARKATECH

Rookie
Carwford want's to win ???? crawford better win !!!! Last year had better been the last year the knicks have to " just make it in to the playoffs" . I wanna see the 90's all over again in the garden but this no jordan to ruine it for NY.

JJtheKnick

Starter
the better he feels about the team creates a better flow through out the hole team. if they like and work together it only means one thing. NBA finals

Starks_boy

Benchwarmer
Yes guys it feel so good to have winners in the roster, but hope that carwford will prove it on the floor next season and that it's not just speaking...

if only we can get dampier....

go ny, go knicks. :lol:

JJtheKnick

Starter
if they are comfortable and confident we there own way of playing and there team. it will make them think of the guy playing next to them and saying if he wants to win i want to win.

WiL8000

Rotation player
I'm very happy with the moves made by Isiah Thomas thus far, especially landing Crawford. Certainly a big-man like Dampier would only help the Knicks. That is looking like it won't happen.
So with the current squad, how do the Knicks get better defensively? Nazr Mohammed just won't cut it at center. Scoring next season won't be a problem. The trouble the Knicks will most likely face are rebounding, blocking, and stealing. All of these aspects except for offesive rebounding, which still needs work, are defensive aspects of the game.
Sure Dampier being on the Knicks would help improve our defense, but the problem here is Wilkens. He's just simply is not a coach who emphasizes defense enough. He needs to look at the way the Pistons and Pacers are playing D, and make alterations to that playbook of his.