Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: could you imagine this team running the triangle offense

  1. #1
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    10

    Default could you imagine this team running the triangle offense

    now just imagine

    amare in gasols role

    melo in kobes role

    billups in fishers role

    shawn williams in odoms role

    and fields in artests role

    if you know basketball and you understand how to win games then you realize why im posting this

    dantoni is only effective with a pg who is capable of keep his dribble alive hitting the three pnt at 40 percent and running the pick and role to perferction, with out that defenses can sit back and allow the knicks to freeze offense until they turn the ball over

    if we ran the triangle the amount of isolation and mid range buckets available to melo and amare would be incredible.

    not a possiblity i know

    but definitely worth debating.

    your thoughts

  2. #2
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    525
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Would be nice, but if these guys are having trouble picking up Dantoni's system, imagine how hard it would be to convince them to learn the intricacies of the triangle?

    Triangle is very hard to learn and even the Lakers don't run many triangle plays anymore. Doesn't help that Kobe likes to freelance.

  3. #3
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,485
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    now just imagine

    amare in gasols role

    melo in kobes role

    billups in fishers role

    shawn williams in odoms role

    and fields in artests role

    if you know basketball and you understand how to win games then you realize why im posting this

    dantoni is only effective with a pg who is capable of keep his dribble alive hitting the three pnt at 40 percent and running the pick and role to perferction, with out that defenses can sit back and allow the knicks to freeze offense until they turn the ball over

    if we ran the triangle the amount of isolation and mid range buckets available to melo and amare would be incredible.

    not a possiblity i know

    but definitely worth debating.

    your thoughts
    I said precisely the same thing! Not of conventional form, but more of an elongated isosceles triangle.

    A very similar set to the hi-lo post play below, but the 3 replaces the 5, and doesn't play as deep. That has each individual on his preferred location.



    D is for deadly

    This is a bastardised version in which Amar'e, Melo and Douglas play that long triangle.



    You also see Jefferies make a smart move by fighting for position underneath and making himself available for a quick pass in the paint. Now if that were DeAndre Jordan.........woah Nellie.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Fields is only a rookie & it's silly to compare a rookie in Fields to a veteran & once former star in Artest & in case you haven't noticed... Shawne Williams is no Lamar Odom & not even close to playing on the type of level that Odom has played on over the years.

    It's even more foolish to expect Melo & Billups to become Kobe & Fisher when running a triangle offense when A) Melo & Billups have pretty much zero experience inside a triangle offense & B) Kobe & Fisher have been working the triangle offense for many of years now.

    Phil Jackson is a great coach due to mainly great players but not many (if any) know how to execute the triangle offense the way Phil makes it work & Jackson won't be coming to the Knicks anytime soon. He turned his back on the Knicks a long time ago. Moot points when talking about MDA running a triangle.

  5. #5
    Veteran AmareForPresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Queens,NY
    Posts
    1,791
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Great thread I was wondering the same thing.

  6. #6
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Fields is only a rookie & it's silly to compare a rookie in Fields to a veteran & once former star in Artest & in case you haven't noticed... Shawne Williams is no Lamar Odom & not even close to playing on the type of level that Odom has played on over the years.

    It's even more foolish to expect Melo & Billups to become Kobe & Fisher when running a triangle offense when A) Melo & Billups have pretty much zero experience inside a triangle offense & B) Kobe & Fisher have been working the triangle offense for many of years now.

    Phil Jackson is a great coach due to mainly great players but not many (if any) know how to execute the triangle offense the way Phil makes it work & Jackson won't be coming to the Knicks anytime soon. He turned his back on the Knicks a long time ago. Moot points when talking about MDA running a triangle.
    Talk about irony...

  7. #7
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Queens

    what the @#$@#$ are you talking about

    I SAID IMAGINE THIS GUY IN THIS GUYS ROLLEEEEE

    hence the name ROLELELEELLELEELELELEEEE

    I NEVER said this guy is this guy and this guy is that guy

    I said imagine him in the role as in the position you would put them in in terms of height, and position

    odom plays SF

    artest plays SF/SG

    fields and williams play those positions idiot.


    I was never comparing any of our players to the lakers

    just saying that if we ran that offensive system it would fit

    our potent scorers of melo and amare in the way that that set emphasizes the skills of gasol and kobe.

    you really dont understand hypothetics.

    did you even graduate middle school dude

    .

  8. #8
    Member bboycustom92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    445
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Yeah, great thread. This team can be deadly.

  9. #9
    Veteran Sprewell-Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Germany/Mount Vernon NY
    Posts
    1,357
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    I like the idea of the triangle offense in New York. Only with Phil Jackson as head coach though. He's the only one who got it working successfully.

  10. #10
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    683
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Schemes

    I do not know enough about playing basketball to understand the intricacies of the triangle offense. But D'Antoni's scheme is not particularly sophisticated. It is simply somewhat disciplined run and gun street ball. Half court offensive sets include point guard domination of the ball with an emphasis on screen and rolls, particularly to Amare'. When Gallo or Chandler were playing the small forward position, they would stand as statues in a corner waiting for a kick-out. To relegate Melo to such a role is a complete waste of his talent.

    Put aside defense for the moment -- if we want to get the most out of Amare' and Melo as offensive players, D'Antoni's scheme has to be changed. Melo should be doing whatever it is that Kobe is doing. Amare' fits a Gasol role. If this means a triangle offense, i am all for it.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Thats exactly what I'm saying Sprewell-Houston... It's hard to even "imagine" a triangle offense without first thinking about Phil Jackson. Thats when the dreaming of a triangle offense stops for me. Asking for MDA or any other coach to run a triangle offense would be like asking Rex Ryan or BB to switch from a base 3-4 to a base 4-3.... Just not being realistic. Too bad Phil Jackson turned his back on this franchise a long time ago. He doesn't deserve that ring that he earned with NY as a player; not after leaving this franchise in the dark during his entire NBA coaching career.

    Also, my fault Harper. I thought you were pretty much asking or expecting the Knicks to run a triangle offense. It's kind of hard to read between the lines @ times on a message board but I just cant imagine unless Jackson was coach you know.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    county of the kings
    Posts
    1,120
    Rep Power
    8

    Nyk Logo

    Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    now just imagine

    amare in gasols role

    melo in kobes role

    billups in fishers role

    shawn williams in odoms role

    and fields in artests role

    if you know basketball and you understand how to win games then you realize why im posting this

    dantoni is only effective with a pg who is capable of keep his dribble alive hitting the three pnt at 40 percent and running the pick and role to perferction, with out that defenses can sit back and allow the knicks to freeze offense until they turn the ball over

    if we ran the triangle the amount of isolation and mid range buckets available to melo and amare would be incredible.

    not a possiblity i know

    but definitely worth debating.

    your thoughts

    it would work and we could get rid of billups because the triangle offense doesnt need a traditional PG... TD would be perfect...

  13. #13
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Fields is only a rookie & it's silly to compare a rookie in Fields to a veteran & once former star in Artest & in case you haven't noticed... Shawne Williams is no Lamar Odom & not even close to playing on the type of level that Odom has played on over the years.

    It's even more foolish to expect Melo & Billups to become Kobe & Fisher when running a triangle offense when A) Melo & Billups have pretty much zero experience inside a triangle offense & B) Kobe & Fisher have been working the triangle offense for many of years now.

    Phil Jackson is a great coach due to mainly great players but not many (if any) know how to execute the triangle offense the way Phil makes it work & Jackson won't be coming to the Knicks anytime soon. He turned his back on the Knicks a long time ago. Moot points when talking about MDA running a triangle.
    FYI when Phil Jackson first went to LA they were not playing triangle and he instilled it, in his first season they went 67-15 and won the title (oh and Bryant had 3 years in the league, Shaq had 8 years before they played triangle).

    You're right, Williams is no Odom but he can rebound, same size, he can fill that role albeit to a much lesser degree. Again Fields is no Artest but offensively Artest adds very little. Fields can rebound the ball just as well and while not being equal defensively is still good.

    Also, MDA did play a modified triangle earlier in the season so having him play a triangle now is not far fetched.

    Billups plays a very similar style to Fisher and is clearly better at it, so he could fill that role easily.

    Melo is also pretty similar to Kobe offensively.

    Stat is also pretty similar to Gasol offensively! See where I'm going with this?

    I like this thread a lot. And DFDH making a thread not DIRECTLY bashing MDA is refreshing!

  14. #14
    Veteran la2ny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Compton,Ca
    Posts
    1,777
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I wished this after watching LA the other day. Oh how dreams or such a downer lol.

  15. #15
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    FYI when Phil Jackson first went to LA they were not playing triangle and he instilled it, in his first season they went 67-15 and won the title (oh and Bryant had 3 years in the league, Shaq had 8 years before they played triangle).

    You're right, Williams is no Odom but he can rebound, same size, he can fill that role albeit to a much lesser degree. Again Fields is no Artest but offensively Artest adds very little. Fields can rebound the ball just as well and while not being equal defensively is still good.

    Also, MDA did play a modified triangle earlier in the season so having him play a triangle now is not far fetched.

    Billups plays a very similar style to Fisher and is clearly better at it, so he could fill that role easily.

    Melo is also pretty similar to Kobe offensively.

    Stat is also pretty similar to Gasol offensively! See where I'm going with this?

    I like this thread a lot. And DFDH making a thread not DIRECTLY bashing MDA is refreshing!

    lol
    i try not to be redundant, but I still loathe the man

    I just wanted to see every ones opinions because i feel we have all the tools to be excellent if the right offensive scheme is utilized, because utilizing the right scheme opens up more shots in the paint, leaving less long rebounds

    ala less easy baskets for opponents

    in closing

    makes up for our lack of defensive ability.


    when you run and gun it highlights the weak defense by giving opponents more opportunities, dantoni has failed to realize this, and i am hoping he breaks soon from his stubborn ways and realizes we have to get the ball to our best players down the stretch and not jack up threes.

Similar Threads

  1. Fire Damntoni Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By Knicksfansince92 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 120
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2012, 08:45
  2. Offensive Genius?
    By Crazy⑧s in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2010, 00:01
  3. Jay Williams
    By Skyhi300 in forum NBA
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jan 17, 2005, 13:14
  4. Marbury Officially On USA Team
    By frankwilliams in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 15, 2004, 12:44
  5. Dream Team
    By KnickFan2080 in forum NBA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Dec 08, 2003, 11:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •