I would still be glad if the knicks missed the playoffs!

What would be our best scenario?

• Knicks make playoffs and lose in 1st round and Dantoni gets a second chance

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Knicks miss playoffs and Dantoni is for sure gone

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
Think about it, if we make the playoffs and still get swept, MDA may still get a chance to coach the team and get a chance for one more season, but if we miss the playoffs he will 100% get fired, so what would be the better option? so basically if we miss the playoffs that is the quickest way really to get rid of MDA.

Playoffs or no playoffs this year we need to cut our losses and move on from him. He seems like a likeable guy in to the media but as a coach he's nothing to write home about.

Get him outta here by any means necessary. Its not like we dont have reasons for wanting hm gone:

His defensive acumen is low at best
Didnt play Hill who's now in Houstons rotation
Didnt play Darko who is now in Minnys rotation
Didnt play Randolph who is BEASTING
Didnt give Brewer a look at all
Totally inflexible in relation to using players strengths
His offense doesnt work unless he has the perfect roster which will never happen
Plays players out of position in order to gain an offensive advantage, foregoing defense

These are just a few that I was able to come up with off the top of my head.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
And your right about the size factor thing with him, people forget that it wasnt amare playing center for the suns but shawn marion who was the most versatile player in the nba who could play 4 positions,he tries to squeeze every drop of offense but has no answers for when our D stinks.

Root against the success of the team, players & fans; just because of your own personal hatred for MDA? Why waste your time watching? Come back next year if you root for failure this year.

You'd be "glad" if we miss out? When we haven't made the dance in 6 years? Some fan you are. Now I've seen it all. Your a quitter.

Playoffs or no playoffs: If Dolan & Walsh bring Mike back next year, when MDA is so horrible... That means NY has a horrid franchise to begin with. Don't blame "the coach".

Your the same type of fan who pulled for the 99 Knicks (who later advanced to the Finals) to miss the playoffs; all because JVG failed to lead that team to the playoffs with anything better than an 8th seed, inside a weak eastern conf, with a loaded team in Ewing, LJ, Sprewell, Houston, Childs / Ward, Camby, Kurt Thomas & even Herb & Dudley...

Coach or no coach; die hard Knick fans miss the playoffs. Cant wait to see Billups, Amare, Melo, TD & Fields play their HEARTS out.

Ever heard of PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE? Pathetic.

Tokie420

Benchwarmer
Root against the success of the team, players & fans; just because of your own personal hatred for MDA? Why waste your time watching? Come back next year if you root for failure this year.

You'd be "glad" if we miss out? When we haven't made the dance in 6 years? Some fan you are. Now I've seen it all. Your a quitter.

Playoffs or no playoffs: If Dolan & Walsh bring Mike back next year, when MDA is so horrible... That means NY has a horrid franchise to begin with. Don't blame "the coach".

Your the same type of fan who pulled for the 99 Knicks (who later advanced to the Finals) to miss the playoffs; all because JVG failed to lead that team to the playoffs with anything better than an 8th seed, inside a weak eastern conf, with a loaded team in Ewing, LJ, Sprewell, Houston, Childs / Ward, Camby, Kurt Thomas & even Herb & Dudley...

Coach or no coach; die hard Knick fans miss the playoffs. Cant wait to see Billups, Amare, Melo, TD & Fields play their HEARTS out.

Ever heard of PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE? Pathetic.

Dude your anti hate for dantonia is more sickening then anyone on here hating on the man. This isnt a personal thing with dantoni, because as a person he seems alright to me. The fact is this team shows no heart, lack of defense, and a lack of coaching right now. Its only a normal thing in professional sports that the first head to be chopped is that of the coach/mgr. Obviously something isnt clicking with this team. They are ill prepared everynight, and again they are playing with next to no emotion. Its time for a change. Its time to get a coach in here who can utilize both the talents of melo/amare, but at the same time find the right rotation to make this team a force. Yes, I know our lack of a true big is killing us right now, but so is dantonis constant shuffling through the rotation. And I still would love to know why melo is sitting the first half of every 4th quarter when we havent been able to score. The guy needs to go. Bottomline.

KingCharles34

All Star
Any team with Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire that doesnt make the playoffs is fukkin pathetic. We're already pathetic, lets not reach a new low

As long as Amare's no defense playin soft ass keeps co-signing Antoni then i dont think it would make a difference if the Knicks did miss the playoffs this year. Antoni will be back next year one way or another

HarshMello

Benchwarmer
We're not going past the first round in the playoffs anyway, so what difference does it make.

The sooner he's fired the sooner we can start making progress.

Top Billin

Rookie
nah wishing failure on a team isnt good spirit you guys gotta support a team for the bad stretches man the celtics were bad this decade and eventually they got a chip, now its our turn.

KingofNy

Starter
Get him outta here by any means necessary. Its not like we dont have reasons for wanting hm gone:

His defensive acumen is low at best
Didnt play Hill who's now in Houstons rotation
Didnt play Darko who is now in Minnys rotation
Didnt play Randolph who is BEASTING
Didnt give Brewer a look at all
Totally inflexible in relation to using players strengths
His offense doesnt work unless he has the perfect roster which will never happen
Plays players out of position in order to gain an offensive advantage, foregoing defense

These are just a few that I was able to come up with off the top of my head.

Spot on! :agreed:
Here's another couple to add to your list:

He sits out his best/hottest players for at least half of EVERY 4th quarter

He consistently runs a 2-3 zone regardless of what the offense throws at him
resulting in uncontested three's and wide open drives to the basket.

Jared Jeffries and Derrick Brown...Enough said.

He burns out our players with his <8 man rotations and only plays the other guys after the crowd chants their name in blowout games and then they show him that they can hit the 3.

He only runs three plays out of a half-court offense: Isolation, High Screen and Roll, and the Flex II (drive then kickout to corner 3).

He constantly lets the opposing team score 15+ points on us before calling a timeout to stop their run.

He never holds our guys accountable for their lack of defense and rebounding.

He has no basketball smarts to counter the strategic moves of opposing coaches. (Example: Indiana destroyed our 2-3 zone with an "overload" offense and then 2 days later we came back and didn't change one thing about our defense and they whooped us again with the overload offense.) Pretty much every team in the league has been overloading our zone and destroying us from the perimeter. Below is a video*** and you will see how easy it is for team's to score on us. Stop the clip at 35 seconds in and you'll see all the spots in blue where opposing teams kill us.

He makes excuses after every loss that make absolutely no sense. If he doesn't see that there is a problem with his offense/defense, how the hell is he supposed to fix it? Also, is he smart enough to fix it? Probably not.

I can go on all day. Please feel free to add to our already long list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfZzmPDbrd4
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mfZzmPDbrd4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

KingofNy

Starter
Any team with Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire that doesnt make the playoffs is fukkin pathetic. We're already pathetic, lets not reach a new low

As long as Amare's no defense playin soft ass keeps co-signing Antoni then i dont think it would make a difference if the Knicks did miss the playoffs this year. Antoni will be back next year one way or another

I bet you he won't be if we miss the playoffs. IMO that's probably our only chance to rid ourselves of that fool and save ourselves the burden of losing during the SHORT period of time where we actually HAVE superstars. No one's going to want to pay 50% more for their tickets to go watch superstars lose. And...If we keep Dumbtoni we'll be a one and done team next year as well...Mark my words.

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
I'm still trying to figure out where every1 got the idea that if we missed the playoffs this year D'antoni is automatically gone.

Either way I hope to make the playoffs and learn from it. Then get ready for next season.

I think a lot of New Yorkers (or wherever you're from) got so excited about Melo coming over that they forgot that this team is what most teams look like in training camp and preseason. Those games were ugly and sloppy as hell. But that's what preseason is for.

Look at it this way. It's like this season went on as usual but there was no New York Knicks team till after the all star break. These guys are starting from square one while other teams are in full playoff push.

From the moment we got Melo I wasn't expecting an overnight success and neither was anyone who knows how the NBA works. It's not like your little experiences playing in High School or College ball. I'm sure if some of us sat in on a practice or film session our heads would be spinning. It takes time. It's almost like cramming for a final.

Now to D'antoni... Do I believe he can win a ring? I'm just not sure but I know that he has been given a lot shots that most coaches don't have to deal with... like changing of an entire roster halfway through the season. But if we get off to a rough start next season and we see these same bad habits then we can start marching with pitch forks and burning torches to MSG.

I also want to say that this team will be better defensively next year then this one just for the fact that all the players will be more familiar with each other. If you've played on a basketball team before then you know how your teammates play and can almost guess before it happens when they will be beat or who doesn't need help. A lot of time when we see other teams get wide open shots its cause of confusion on switching which happens because of teammates reading each other wrong.

I dont know if I made any sense but if you skipped all of that then just take this away. Patience.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I'm still trying to figure out where every1 got the idea that if we missed the playoffs this year D'antoni is automatically gone.

Either way I hope to make the playoffs and learn from it. Then get ready for next season.

I think a lot of New Yorkers (or wherever you're from) got so excited about Melo coming over that they forgot that this team is what most teams look like in training camp and preseason. Those games were ugly and sloppy as hell. But that's what preseason is for.

Look at it this way. It's like this season went on as usual but there was no New York Knicks team till after the all star break. These guys are starting from square one while other teams are in full playoff push.

From the moment we got Melo I wasn't expecting an overnight success and neither was anyone who knows how the NBA works. It's not like your little experiences playing in High School or College ball. I'm sure if some of us sat in on a practice or film session our heads would be spinning. It takes time. It's almost like cramming for a final.

Now to D'antoni... Do I believe he can win a ring? I'm just not sure but I know that he has been given a lot shots that most coaches don't have to deal with... like changing of an entire roster halfway through the season. But if we get off to a rough start next season and we see these same bad habits then we can start marching with pitch forks and burning torches to MSG.

I also want to say that this team will be better defensively next year then this one just for the fact that all the players will be more familiar with each other. If you've played on a basketball team before then you know how your teammates play and can almost guess before it happens when they will be beat or who doesn't need help. A lot of time when we see other teams get wide open shots its cause of confusion on switching which happens because of teammates reading each other wrong.

I dont know if I made any sense but if you skipped all of that then just take this away. Patience.

You made alot of sense. Good post.

KingofNy

Starter

I don't know where you thought we ever were playing good this season? We had a stretch of 13 games where we played very well and were on "fire" but if you take out those 13 games we're not even close to a playoff team. We're basically the same team now as we were before the trade just now we're better suited for a half-court offense. (which everyone on God's green earth except for KnicksFanFromFlorida, knows Antoni has NO CLUE how to run.

I think you underestimate the fan bases role in the hiring and firing of head coaches. If the fan base as a whole hates a head coach and is calling for their head...they will end up getting cut. We pay their bills and keep their pockets fat so ownership has a vented interest in our opinion. I also think Dolan isn't too hot on Antoni or Walsh. I'm bet you if we don't make the playoffs both of them will be out the door.

smokes

Huge Member
Ok seriously this is a bit OTT that this thread gets 5 stars when it talks about wanting us to miss the playoffs....

Like, I understand wanting to get rid of Mike but rooting for your team to lose is just wrong.

KingofNy

Starter
Ok seriously this is a bit OTT that this thread gets 5 stars when it talks about wanting us to miss the playoffs....

Like, I understand wanting to get rid of Mike but rooting for your team to lose is just wrong.

You gotta look at it like a savings account. People who have the most money are the ones that save it and don't spend it right when they get it. It's kind of the same situation with our Knicks. Wishing them all of a sudden to catch fire now would be like spending all of your money right when you get paid. Regardless Antoni is going to end up costing this team in the long run whether this season or next season with his lack of leadership and terrible coaching ethics/style.

Most fans here know that we have a much better chance of the organization firing Antoni if we don't make the playoffs. Winning in this situation could be the worst thing for our team. Some fans would have a false sense of realty if we made it out of the first round and they wouldn't realize that Antoni is the problem until we already wasted another year under him.

Melo's only got 3 years here, and one of them is most likely going to be at least partially locked-out so we need to get a new coach to fix this team and fast. Is it worth giving up the rest of this season to ensure that happens? I don't know about you but if I have to watch another season of letting crappy opponents run layup drills on us and knock down uncontested shot after shot, I'm gonna go crazy. So, IMO and in the opinion of many fans here...HELL YES this is a 5-star thread and hopefully we miss the playoffs so our moron coach goes back to doing what he's best at...Watching the games from the sideline as an offensive assistant!

BTW..After watching him attempt to coach a half-court offense with multiple superstars for the last 6 weeks, I highly doubt any team will even want him to be an offensive assistant for them... Seriously.

Last edited:

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
I am not wishing bad for our team but sometimes success takes sacrifice, think about it if we make the playoffs and get swept what was the point if we were not going to compete in the first place and go home in the snap of a finger compared to missing the playoffs which any team can make in the east any year and have dantoni fired

take 1 step back to take 3 steps forward