Rick Adelman - What are your thoughts?

Bharan

Rookie
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/featur...rick-adelman-houston-rockets/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

This is purely optimistic of course. It's highly unlikely that D'Antoni gets the boot, unless we miss the playoffs. Even then, due to the Dolan / Walsh / D'Antoni ladder, it's not so likely. This also is contingent on whether or not the rockets are foolish enough to let Adelman go.

I think he would be perfect for us.
JVG wouldn't have the defensive tools (Oak, Ewing) that he did before, and we dont have the players to be a top 10 defense anyways (A thought echoed previously by another member of these boards).

I would be really excited to see Adelman on board.

His offense has drawn comparison to the Princeton Offense, where the 5 players on the floor should be able to pass, dribble, and shoot on an above average level for their position. Now this applies to all basketball, but here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia page (Haha, credible right?).

"The offense usually starts out with four players outside the three-point arc with one player at the top of the key. The ball is kept in constant motion through passing until either a mismatch allows a player to cut to the basket or a player without the ball cuts toward the unoccupied area under and around the basket, and is passed the ball for a layup. Having a strong post player is important because this player is critical to passing to backdoor cutters, and can draw help defense to open outside shots.

The hallmark of the offense is the backdoor pass, where a player on the wing suddenly moves in towards the basket, receives a bounce pass from a guard on the perimeter, and (if done correctly) finds himself with no defenders between him and a layup. Alternatively, when the defensive team attempts to pack the paint to prevent backdoor cuts, the offense utilizes three point shots from the perimeter. All five players in the offense—including the center—should be competent at making a three point attempt, further spreading the floor.
The offense is a very slow developing one, relying on a high number of passes, and is often used by teams facing opponents with superior athletic talent, to maintain a low-scoring game (believing that a high-scoring game would favor the athletically superior opponent). As a result, Princeton has led the nation in scoring defense 19 times including every year from 1989–2000.<SUP id=cite_ref-DIR48_2-0 class=reference>[3]" (Credits to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_offense)</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>Now this would be something spectacular for our knicks. Aside from lacking a C that can shoot 3's such as Mehmet Okur or Dirk, Yao ming is not exactly a prolific 3 point shooter either. We have the shooting talent, but what stuck out to me was the defense. While we do have quite a bit of Athleticism at the 3 and 4 (or 5 depending how you swing Amare), the capability to slow down the pace and really establish our half-court game is hugely tempting. With Chris Paul at the 1 (Who is shooting 3's at a much improved clip of .400%, higher then his career average of .361%), he can drive and dish with the best of them.</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
<SUP>This is my first legitimate post on this forums, aside from a wee bit of comments here and there, so I'd just like to say hello to all of y'all.</SUP>
<SUP></SUP>
:2cents:

Bharan

Rookie
Add to the fact that JVG was the Houston Rockets coach, and Rick Adelman has succeeded where he has failed

Um... When was the last time the Kings won a championship? When was the last time the Rockets made it to the Western Conf Finals?

MDA had a .650 winning % with the Suns & two Western Conf Final apperances. What was his winning % with SAC?

Um... Lets not & say we did.

Just like you all judge MDA on his career history of never winning a ring & saying "MDA will never win a ring". Well, guess what? Same goes for this man. He'll never win a ring because I "haven't seen it yet".

Hows it feel?

Bharan

Rookie
D'Antoni had a team that was STACKED with players that fit his system to the key. That Suns team was packed with talent, with Steve Nash, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Marion (Matrix in his prime), Amar'e Stoudemire, and Diaw. A winning regular season only means so much, or did you forget when the Dallas Mavericks lost in the playoffs to the 8th seeded Warriors

la2ny

Starter
Um... When was the last time the Kings won a championship? When was the last time the Rockets made it to the Western Conf Finals?

MDA had a .650 winning % with the Suns & two Western Conf Final apperances. What was his winning % with SAC?

Just like you all judge MDA on his career history of never winning a ring & saying "MDA will never win a ring". Well, guess what? Same goes for this man. He'll never win a ring because I "haven't seen it yet".

Hows it feel?
Why turn every thread into this??? It's just a thread asking people of their opinion on Rick not a MDA vs thread ok we have enough. If it's opposed to what your view is just ignore them ok because all this will do is cause another thread to turn into a battle of you vs. 50 other posters when you could've avoided it.

Please everyone that doesn't like D'ant skip his post and just comment on the OP. Im tired of all the MDA bickering.

Bharan

Rookie
Why turn every thread into this??? It's just a thread asking people of their opinion on Rick not a MDA vs thread ok we have enough. If it's opposed to what your view is just ignore them ok because all this will do is cause another thread to turn into a battle of you vs. 50 other posters when you could've avoided it.

Please everyone that doesn't like D'ant skip his post and just comment on the OP. Im tired of all the MDA bickering.

And yes thank you, my point exactly. There are how many threads on D'Antoni. The grass may not be green over here, but its certainly worse if everybody stays and sh*ts on what he have, instead of surveying greener pastures.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator

Hows it feel?
Nash's team has more wins then the Knicks with D'Antoni now.

Nash is the real coach. He's the real offensive genius. Only reason Robin Lopez is starting for the Suns is because without Nash, he might do even less, maybe a lot less.

Last year with no Yao, no T-Mac, no Artest, the Rockets had a winning a season. In the East that record would have gotten you in the Playoffs. Rick Adelman was arguably coach of the year last season, but that's how awards are given out in the NBA, so he might have not even been considered.

Edit: While you keep saying D'Antoni develops players, Adelman might have actually done this. He's had a record to show for it.

While he does have a plan for a game, he still lets players be themselves. Jason Williams made a lot of plays that weren't good early in his career, but let him continue to develop because he knew he had the talent. He didn't bench him. Nate Robinson wasn't as good as Williams, but he certainly had the talent to be developed, but he let him just do nothing to help the team.

Last edited:

Deathstroke

Benchwarmer

Hows it feel?

Wow really?

First off The Kings were screwed against the Lakers second when was the last time the Rockets had an actual roster that can compete for a title against the very same Lakers? And stop using Dantoni's history in Pheonix as an example in every thread it's not a good argument.

Bharan

Rookie

Hows it feel?

Oi look Sheila. Look at 'that troll right there.
Oi, thats a big 'un.
Steve wouldda been proud. :teeth:

iJoe

Rotation player
If you've read my previous posts, you'd know I'm a huge Adelman fan.

His teams always outperform expectations and that goes a long way in proving how good of a coach he is. Offense is beautiful and his team's defense is always underrated. I'd be happy as hell if he would come over.

StreetDreams21

I got Soul

Hows it feel?
This sounds like a troll post, but I can't help but tear it all up.

It comes down to Phil Jackson. if it wasn't for him, Adelman most likely has a ring.
Do you forget that Adelman coached the Blazers with a Clyde Drexer on the end of his prime that fell to Jordan's Bulls?

As for the Sac-Town Kings, Look at Games 6 and 7 of the 2002 ECF. Those games were rigged and everyone knows it, Tim Donaghy even admitted to doing so.

And the Rockets, look at 2 years ago. If Yao doesn't get injured, they probably do beat the Lakers. They lost Mutombo and Yao in that series and Adelman STILL took that series to 7 games. Phil Jackson has been the only consistent threat to Adelman throughout his career and he (Jackson) supposedly wants to hang it up. What better time to being Adelman in than for next season.

Adelman consistently took teams with little to no athletic ability and made them good.

He coached 35 games for Portland in 1989, going 14-21, and then taking them to the FINALS the next year. He then made 2 straight Conference championships. That alone compares to D'Antoni's successes.

But he did not stop there. That team stayed relevant until 1994 when he left after a 47-35 season.

Fast forawrd to when he coached the Kings. That was a ****ing fantastic team with Webber, Divac, Peja, and Bibby among others. Worst record was 44-38 there. Besides that, they always won more than 50 games and like I said before, their worse enemy was the Shaq and Kobe Lakers who they should have beaten in 02.

Took a Yao-less and T-mac less rockets to a winning season last year in arguably the toughest division in the toughest conference in the NBA. He gets by with starting freaking Chuck Hayes. 6'6 Chuck Hayes. He gets his players to give their all on both ends of the floor.

How you think Adelman is worse than D'Antoni is ridiculous.

I would be so thrilled if he came here.

Edit: OP, you shouldn't wrap your mind around getting Chris Paul. That's not happening. We need a C first and foremost. And we need to better our bench.

Last edited:

iSaYughh

Starter
I like Adelman, as well. If we flame hard in playoffs...internal pressures mount...and he's available...wouldn't shock me.

But i see Walsh going as well. IMHO, at this pt in the game, Walsh isn't jumping the shark on MDA save we have a disappointing next season.

Also, I can't help but..

Steve Nash? So obviously otherworldly HOF 30y Steve Nash...guess that's why Cuban didn't re-sign him, huh?

Barbosa, Bell, Diaw? Lol...Plz...Look at their careers and stats prior.

Marion? Prime? Haha...Funny how his "prime" equalled him not being coached by..

STAT? Stud, yes. #9 raw high school talent. How'd that work under tutelage? Prolly didn't hurt?

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Rick Adelman is a real good coach. If MDA gets his walking papers he'd be a nice addition.

Adelman could have won a couple titles already. But in the NBA he always ran up against better comp. 95% (very unscientific ;-) ) the better grouping of players wins in the playoffs.

smokes

Huge Member
Rick Adelman is a real good coach. If MDA gets his walking papers he'd be a nice addition.

Adelman could have won a couple titles already. But in the NBA he always ran up against better comp. 95% (very unscientific ;-) ) the better grouping of players wins in the playoffs.

Yeah, I honestly don't see MDA getting fired UNLESS there is a good coach available so if Rick leaves Houston I could see it happening.

And in reply to streetdreams indeed that playoff series was the biggest joke ever in professional sports Lakers fans will tell you all day its a conspiracy when there has been a federal case in which one of the officials gave evidence under oath admitting that "a series in the 2002 playoffs was rigged". Could it be more obvious which series?

The really sad thing is that team deserved a ring so much, and players like Chris Webber who was destined to be an all time great before blowing his knee would never see a chance at that ring again.