Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 71

Thread: The Official Hire Van Gundy Thread

  1. #16
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,780
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I don't think JVG wants to coach right now. First and foremost, he is under contract. Not sure if that can be broken. Secondly, he has young kids and likes staying close to home. I like the guy but i don't see it happening soon

  2. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by petescud
    I don't think JVG wants to coach right now. First and foremost, he is under contract. Not sure if that can be broken. Secondly, he has young kids and likes staying close to home. I like the guy but i don't see it happening soon
    yea but the lakers are also talking with him to see if he wants to replace phil jackson, i think he is weighing his options on rather to stick with the booth or go on the sidelines again because he is the biggest coaching name out there right now along with brown,sloan and mark jackson

  3. #18
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by The Garden '95
    a quitter? nah its knicks management they did the same to pat riley, aggravate him so muh he just up and left, JVG if anything was just sick of the bs
    However way you look at it he quit on the team. He's a great defensive coach & holds you accountable, which is something we need here. But when you have Steve Francis (in his prime), Yao Ming & can't get out of the 1st round (had prime T-Mac too) I would rethink that he's the coach we need. Rick Adelman was able to get more from the depleted Rockets roster than JVG did with 2 All-Stars.

  4. #19
    Member NewYork 21 Knicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    134
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i think everyone would love to get jvg back. i would want him back because i grew up in the van gundy years and was devastated to see him go, nothing against mda though. I think mike is a good coach who is taking to much criticism but if we had the chance to get van gundy, i think we should take it in a heart beat.

  5. #20
    Member The Garden '95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bronx,New York
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksman20
    However way you look at it he quit on the team. He's a great defensive coach & holds you accountable, which is something we need here. But when you have Steve Francis (in his prime), Yao Ming & can't get out of the 1st round (had prime T-Mac too) I would rethink that he's the coach we need. Rick Adelman was able to get more from the depleted Rockets roster than JVG did with 2 All-Stars.
    good point but remember when T-MAC first came to houston within 2 season he was in and out of the lineups because of "sore knees" then before you know it he had the microfracture surgeries which ended his playing level of greatness and yao was healthy but it was prime yao but you maybe right he couldve did better with em but it was always 1 key player out all the time.

  6. #21
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    By far my number one choice. If I were him, though, I would never leave my cushy announcing job for the stress of being an NBA coach with expectations of a championship.

    Perhaps he'd like the challenge though :-). Let's hope!

  7. #22
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by The Garden '95
    good point but remember when T-MAC first came to houston within 2 season he was in and out of the lineups because of "sore knees" then before you know it he had the microfracture surgeries which ended his playing level of greatness and yao was healthy but it was prime yao but you maybe right he couldve did better with em but it was always 1 key player out all the time.
    Good points! I forgot how fragile T-Mac was & I think there was only 1 playoff run during the Rockets JVG era where both were healthy. It's really a shame!

  8. #23
    Member The Garden '95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bronx,New York
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    By far my number one choice. If I were him, though, I would never leave my cushy announcing job for the stress of being an NBA coach with expectations of a championship.

    Perhaps he'd like the challenge though :-). Let's hope!
    thats the only downside to getting him is that our team is in WIN NOW! mode and he doesnt want to have to live up to over achieving standards that NY demands

  9. #24
    Member JeffVanGundyPLEASE!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    amen to this post please god save the knicks from the wretched hands of jim dolan and let him see the light at the end of the tunnel so that a new owner may take over so that our gm donnie walsh ream the gm/team president and that our current coach get fired and so that current players no what box out look like so that amare would follow his man instead of guarding absolutely no one leaving everyone open so they can teach this person who dosent know how to play defense something please all lord the 70s have been so a long time ago i wasn't even born yet but today is my birthday and i just want this wish i know all wont be granted but i know you can make a couple things happen

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    It's funny reading some of these post's about wanting the same JVG that is not only overrated but also quit on the Knicks. He's not a very good coach, not @ all. He took over for a great franchise after the foundation was already established by Riley & Ewing.

    JVG "did not bring defense back to NY"; it was already in place lol.

    I could care less that he made the Finals during 99 as the 8th seed thanks to MJ retiring, Chicago falling off, Reggie & the Pacers were aging + a freakish 4PT LJ shot. He made the Finals during an extremely WEAK Eastern Conf. Big deal.

    When MDA had Felton, Fields (rookie), Gallo, Amare, Mozgov (rookie), Chandler, Turiaf & Douglas... You all were calling him a bad coach when we were the 6th seed..

    JVG had a LOADED & STACKED team with Ewing, LJ, Spree, Houston, Ward, Childs, Camby & Kurt Thomas & FAILED to coach them to anything better than an 8th seed & 4 games above .500 in an EXTREMELY weak Eastern Conf. Pathetic & overrated coach.

    JVG belongs in the booth... Where he's been.

  11. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm not even sure it's safe to say JVG would have even improved our defensive team before the trade but one thing is for sure... We wouldn't have ranked #1 or #2 in offense this year because he can never compare to MDA in that aspect of the game. He would have fell FLAT on his face the past two years in New York with cap hell rosters. He doesn't have the heart to lose for 2 or 3 years just for a chance to win later on. He's a quitter that was never forced to coach bad teams with bad defensive players. Save all that "top 10 defense talk" for someone who doesn't understand how to look at the big picture. The man struggles to win during the regular seaon with a very good to great Franchise.

  12. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    An aging Ewing would have sent the rookie back to Russia on D! Mozgov ONLY averaged 2/3 pts/boards per. The most important defensive position in basketball & Ewing was still a force. JVG was BLESSED to have #33 down low. Ewing wasn't blessed to have "JVG".

    Amare will NEVER be as strong & tough as LJ on D!. You kidding me?

    Turiaf cant compete with an athletic freak of nature in Camby on D. Not even close.

    Sprewell would dominate Chandler's defense. The intensity of Spree, way before JVG was always 2nd to none. Just ask Sprewell's coach & neck.

    Kurt Thomas was a force on the boards & defense. Kurt Thomas would make the defense of Shawne Williams look foolish @ best.

    Ward was ONE hell of a defensive player & Felton's defense has never & will never compete with the tough D of Ward!

    Alan Houston was a veteran LEADER & yes Fields has defensive talent & potential but Houston was a real leader.

    The ONLY advantage would be TD over Childs on D!

    BIG's such as Herb & Dudley QUICKLY erase that 1 advantage.

    "JVG"

  13. #28
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    An aging Ewing would have sent the rookie back to Russia on D! Mozgov ONLY averaged 2/3 pts/boards per. The most important defensive position in basketball & Ewing was still a force. JVG was BLESSED to have #33 down low. Ewing wasn't blessed to have "JVG".

    Amare will NEVER be as strong & tough as LJ on D!. You kidding me?

    Turiaf cant compete with an athletic freak of nature in Camby on D. Not even close.

    Sprewell would dominate Chandler's defense. The intensity of Spree, way before JVG was always 2nd to none. Just ask Sprewell's coach & neck.

    Kurt Thomas was a force on the boards & defense. Kurt Thomas would make the defense of Shawne Williams look foolish @ best.

    Ward was ONE hell of a defensive player & Felton's defense has never & will never compete with the tough D of Ward!

    Alan Houston was a veteran LEADER & yes Fields has defensive talent & potential but Houston was a real leader.

    The ONLY advantage would be TD over Childs on D!

    BIG's such as Herb & Dudley QUICKLY erase that 1 advantage.

    "JVG"
    Dude, why are there three posts? I can see two... but why three. Truth of the matter is that MDA isn't fit to shine JVG's jock. MDA has one coaching style and this team does not fit it.

    Give the reins to someone who gives us a shot t a ring.

  14. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.
    Posts
    1,112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Dude... JVG struggled to win during the regular season as the freaking 8th SEED with a LOADED & STACKED team with once again... Ewing, LJ, Camby, Kurt Thomas, Sprewell, Houston, Ward & Childs! Pathetic coaching job.

    How about you stop trying to compare MDA's situation to JVG. JVG never had to REBUILD a Knicks team. JVG? He took over for a franchise that was great for damn near 10+ years. Success was given to Van Gundy. Any coach in the league would have won with that stacked roster. Any GOOD coach would have competed for the top 2 seeds during the years of an extremely weak Eastern Conf. He FAILED to lead them into the playoffs with anything better than an 8th seed which was sad with a SET team.

    The man is an overrated coach. He quit on the Knicks once he SEEN the roster had no chance to win after Ewing. He left for Houston & let us become the laughing stock of the league. He could care less about the team or fans. **** that quitter.

    MikeD took this job KNOWING we would LOSE for 2 maybe 3 full years!

  15. #30
    Knicks Guru hometheaterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,017
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Can you imagine, JVG head coach, Mark Jackson assistant coach, Patrick Ewing assistant coach....

    *cums in pants*

    oh and also...



    Indeed, I remember someone commenting on a thread the other day when JVG said at halftime that he thought D'Antoni's offensive system was great and he would do the same things offensively. The system is great if it's not too rigid in terms of really shooting a 3 within 7 seconds like it is under MDA!

    I actually remember some of those 1999 playoff games really were run and gun style (because Patrick Ewing wasn't playing haha)... JVG replaced Pat Rileys defensive minded halfcourt slow-ass players such as Mason, Harper (old legs) and Starks with younger, quicker players like Chris Childs and Larry Johnson. Plus of course Latrell Sprewell and Allan Houston who were not known for great defense but played with the INTENSITY encouraged by JVG and arguably the best defender in the league Patrick Ewing. If not for Ewing kind of forcing you to play half court the Knicks would have been SSOL'ing back in 99!
    So what has Marc Jackson accomplished as a coach of any kind that qualifies him to be an assistant coach???? At least Ewing has more experience and I can see him coaching with the Knicks at some level but NOT as a head coach!
    Wait, did you say that the Knicks with JVG were run and gun during the 1999 playoffs?!?!?!?! lol!!!!!!!
    I was there dude and it WAS NOT run and gun!!!! They won game 5 78, 77. It was the slowest, most physical type game you could ever watch! In fact, the NBA changed some of the defensive rules... Twice... because of the 1980/90's Knicks.

    You guys have no clue!! I was there for the 1980's and 90's Knicks experiencing it first hand; in the 90's fans were calling up wfan and espn radio screaming to fire JVG because he only knew how to coach D and the team couldn't take the next step because they were struggling offensively. Man, how quick we forget.. It's like when you breakup with a girlfriend and then years later you bump into them and totally forget all the bad that made you dump them in the first place. Countless calls about JVG's coaching decisions and wanting then Knicks to bring in a Donnie Nelson (the offensive genius)... little did they know just how disastrous that would be. Knicks fans always want the opposite of what they have.... Always!!!! Hell, I remember calls to remove Riley complaining that his slow physical game was preventing the Knicks from taking the next step.
    MDA has spent the past 3 years coaching a team that has been dumping salaries and tanking seasons... This season was about getting 2 too 3 stars on this team and to get Melo we had to dump half the team.... You guys need to be more patient and stop bitching like little girls with a skinned knee!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Official Trade Deadline (improve Nyk) Thread
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan 31, 2011, 16:00
  2. Replies: 28
    Last Post: May 12, 2010, 11:50
  3. The Official We Want Jeff Van Gundy Thread
    By RunningJumper in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Feb 23, 2010, 06:55
  4. The Official...Official Thread
    By TR1LL10N in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Feb 18, 2010, 12:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •