Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Official Hire Van Gundy Thread

Banned
    FLorida. Thank god for the NBA league pass & MSG network.

The bottom line is this: QVG QUIT on this Franchise when he seen rebuilding move was right around the corner. That little prick cared less what was going on with NY's disaster franchise, went on to coach HOU & left US in the DARK for 10+ years. He doesn't DESERVE to coach NY next year when MDA did the OPPOSITE of JVG.

MDA took this job with Walsh while both not only understanding but KNOWING we would lose for 2-3 years during rebuilding mode. Next year, after Walsh upgrades our C position during FA, lands another draft talent such as a Gallo, TD or Fields, improves our bench depth etc etc; Next year will become the FIRST season MDA will have a CHANCE to compete as serious contenders because A) The previous team had no chance to contend as a top 3 seed & B) a depleated roster after the A-S break also has no chance of seriously competing without an offseason!

MDA accepted this job to lose for 2-3 years JUST to have a CHANCE to CONTEND next year. MDA DESERVES next year more than ANY OTHER coach.

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    The bottom line is this: QVG QUIT on this Franchise when he seen rebuilding move was right around the corner. That little prick cared less what was going on with NY's disaster franchise, went on to coach HOU & left US in the DARK for 10+ years. He doesn't DESERVE to coach NY next year when MDA did the OPPOSITE of JVG.

MDA took this job with Walsh while both not only understanding but KNOWING we would lose for 2-3 years during rebuilding mode. Next year, after Walsh upgrades our C position during FA, lands another draft talent such as a Gallo, TD or Fields, improves our bench depth etc etc; Next year will become the FIRST season MDA will have a CHANCE to compete as serious contenders because A) The previous team had no chance to contend as a top 3 seed & B) a depleated roster after the A-S break also has no chance of seriously competing without an offseason!

MDA accepted this job to lose for 2-3 years JUST to have a CHANCE to CONTEND next year. MDA DESERVES next year more than ANY OTHER coach.
    first wait untill 2010 get a star, then we somehow get another and MDA needs more time GTFO he sux and he only wants more time to prove that when he gets fired he was a decent coach enough to get another gig, this will be the last true head coaching job for mike dantoni because all of his weaknesses have been brightened in the big apple.

Btw have you noticed that our teams suck so bad defensively that everytime the opposing teams players return from injury ,that its always against us? Give me one reason why they always suit up against us?

Banned

Great post HomeTheaterGuy.

I have a feeling many of these JVG supporters weren't around for the Ewing-Riley era. I've seen it since 92.

For the simple fact.... How can they act as if QVG (QuitterVanGundy) "Brang DEFENCE back to NY" lmao NY always ranked as top 1-7 D's under Riley & Ewing. QVG took over for a franchise that was ALREADY great on defense for well over 10 years.

Your also correct... At LEAST 50% of NY fans wanted JVG gone for two reasons. 1) Lack of offensive production. 2) Failed to lead a STACKED roster of Ewing, LJ, Camby, Herb, Dudley, Sprewell, Houston, Ward & Childs to anything better than an 8th seed during the years of MJ & the Bulls as a thing of the past & Reggie & INDY aging over night. Knick fans were not accepting the fact that this coach couldn't have us as top 3 contenders after years of competing under Riley against great CHI & Indy teams! You think the MDA hate is bad? lol imagine being the 8th seed after fans were EXPECTING Riley-Ewing-Oakley-Mason-Starks types of contenders!

Superstar

I have a feeling many of these JVG supporters weren't around for the Ewing-Riley era. I've seen it since 92.

For the simple fact.... How can they act as if QVG (QuitterVanGundy) "Brang DEFENCE back to NY" lmao NY always ranked as top 1-7 D's under Riley & Ewing. QVG took over for a franchise that was ALREADY great on defense for well over 10 years.

Your also correct... At LEAST 50% of NY fans wanted JVG gone for two reasons. 1) Lack of offensive production. 2) Failed to lead a STACKED roster of Ewing, LJ, Camby, Herb, Dudley, Sprewell, Houston, Ward & Childs to anything better than an 8th seed during the years of MJ & the Bulls as a thing of the past & Reggie & INDY aging over night. Knick fans were not accepting the fact that this coach couldn't have us as top 3 contenders after years of competing under Riley against great CHI & Indy teams! You think the MDA hate is bad? lol imagine being the 8th seed after fans were EXPECTING Riley-Ewing-Oakley-Mason-Starks types of contenders!
    Took a team to the NBA finals without Ewing. All that needs to be said. MDA needed Nash and Amar'e to never get to a finals. It's not even close.

okay ny always ranks 1-7 in D but what about now? we almost give up more than we score!!!

Banned

ahahah took the Knicks to the Finals with a STACKED roster as an 8th seed during the years of the Bulls falling off the map, Indy aging over night & being blessed with a great franchise. Thats all that needs to be said.

He quit on this franchise when he seen rebuilding move was RIGHT around the heart. He never had the type of heart to lose & rebuild... just to have a chance to win again. QVG is a quitter who left us fans in the dark for 10+ years without thinking twice about it.

He made the Finals without Ewing thanks to a fluke LJ 4 point play. If Reggie & the Pacers weren't aging & Jordan was with the Bulls... Lmao that 8th seed team doesn't make it out of the 1st round against MJ & the Bulls (with or without Ewing) lmao.

Quitter Van Gundy's 8th seed 1999 season was nothing more than a product of a great Franchise playing during an era of the Eastern Conf becoming EXTREMELY weak up until now lmao. Wake up dude.

Even with Ewing... The Spurs DOMINATE QVG during the Finals. WEAK 8th seed East team.

Banned

Also... Use your brain when talking sports please.

Don't even THINK about comparing Van Gundy's 99 Finals team of an extremely weak Eastern Conf to the MDA PHX Suns teams of the GOLDEN years of the West. lol zzzzz Give MDA his PHX teams & put them in the East of 99 & A) they sweep JVG's 8th seed Knicks & B) Win 60+ as a 1 or 2 sead heading into the 99 playoffs.

Instead lets compare what both MDA & QVG did during the years of the TOUGH west lmao ;=)

Coach of the year. 4 consecutive trips to the playoffs. Two seasons with 54+ wins. Another two seasons of 60+ wins. Beat Kobe & the Lakers during back to back playoff series. Dominated Kobe & the Lakers 4-1 & came up clutch durring a pressure game 7. Split with Dirk & the Mavs 1-1 (6-6) during two playoff wars. Came up big against the Clippers during another game 7 & swept the Grizz. Two Western Conf Final apperances in 4 years as head coach. Winning % of .650!!!

Please; tell us all what QVG "did with Houston" inside a TOUGH Western Conf. Ahaaha. Good luck ;-(

STACKED?!?!?!?!

Sometimes your memory of what happened back then seems really selective :P

Ewing - injured for over half the playoffs
    LJ - was not a great player in NY averaged about 12 points for us was never an all star with the Knicks
    Dudley - LOL
    Sprewell - SF in his first season as a Knick... ring any bells?
    Houston - great player
    Ward - not even a top 10 pg
    Childs - not even a top 20 pg

So, you can argue that we had 3 all stars on our roster (Ewing, Houston, Sprewell) one of whom and our best player had very little impact on the 1999 playoffs due to missing everything from game 5 vs the Heat onwards.

Also you seem to forget JVG BUILT that NY roster of Houston, Sprewell, Camby, Ward, Larry Johnson and most of those moves received HUGE criticism. Sprewell's last move in the NBA before we acquired him was choking out P J Carlesimo... Larry Johnson was always a controversial player with his outspoken religion and had issues with many teammates in his short career... Charlie Ward was still Derek Harpers backup when JVG took over.#

I don't even know what you're trying to say about the 8th seed but whatever it is, is incorrect. We were 8th seed once under JVG in 1999, and JVG's playoff runs went like this:

96 playoffs: lost to the 72 win Bulls in JVG's first EVER season as a head coach
    97 playoffs: lost to the Heat after leading 3-1 due to the suspension of Ward, Ewing, LJ, Houston and Starks
    98 playoffs: Ewing out for half of the season and half of the playoffs, still beat the Heat but lost to the Pacers who actually were a STACKED team
    99 playoffs: NBA finals, Ewing out for most of the playoffs
    2000: lost in ECF finals

Damn yeah, its not like his record is 100 times better than MDA, or that he traded for players who would go down in the memories of Knicks fans forever right?
    Last edited by smokes; Mar 27, 2011 at 20:48.

Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    Took a team to the NBA finals without Ewing. All that needs to be said. MDA needed Nash and Amar'e to never get to a finals. It's not even close.
    MusketeerX - Not sure of your age but I was watching those games LIVE... Ok, and to make it sound like JFG had the daunting task of taking a team that lost its superstar and only had a bunch of complimentary players to the finals... You are just delusional. I'm sorry, but like I said I was there for the whole season and Ewing was dealing with nagging injuries that whole season and he had monster players to work with besides Ewing.... Camby, LJ, Spree, Houston... I would KILL to have those guys right now!!!! Camby, LJ and Sprewell alone are a KILLER 3 player combo!!!!!! In fact, your brilliant JVG HATED Camby and used him sparingly!! OK... He raged against that trade. He was loyal to Oakley and was very upset when mgmt pulled that trade off... It was one of the reasons that pushed him towards leaving.... So, you need to come back to reality a little and you need to realize that this team was not built for this year... it was pieces that were brought to build the future of this franchise...

Originally Posted by hometheaterguy
    MusketeerX - Not sure of your age but I was watching those games LIVE... Ok, and to make it sound like JFG had the daunting task of taking a team that lost its superstar and only had a bunch of complimentary players to the finals... You are just delusional. I'm sorry, but like I said I was there for the whole season and Ewing was dealing with nagging injuries that whole season and he had monster players to work with besides Ewing.... Camby, LJ, Spree, Houston... I would KILL to have those guys right now!!!! Camby, LJ and Sprewell alone are a KILLER 3 player combo!!!!!! In fact, your brilliant JVG HATED Camby and used him sparingly!! OK... He raged against that trade. He was loyal to Oakley and was very upset when mgmt pulled that trade off... It was one of the reasons that pushed him towards leaving.... So, you need to come back to reality a little and you need to realize that this team was not built for this year... it was pieces that were brought to build the future of this franchise...
    You're right but you should also remember Camby was still young, came to NY kinda during his post-rookie slump and he choked a lot that season. I remember Camby blowing dunks, getting layups rejected because he was too afraid to dunk it, and watching him shoot a free throw was almost as bad as Chris Dudley. He was never gonna be even half a replacement for Ewing.

Camby also had injuries that year iirc.

Also from my memory Ewing was out in game 5 against the Heat onwards. We still beat the Pacers who took the Bulls to 7 games the year before. And obviously, against the twin towers of SA we really had no chance without Ewing.

Originally Posted by smokes
    STACKED?!?!?!?!

Sometimes your memory of what happened back then seems really selective :P

Ewing - injured for over half the playoffs
    LJ - was not a great player in NY averaged about 12 points for us was never an all star with the Knicks
    Dudley - LOL
    Sprewell - SF in his first season as a Knick... ring any bells?
    Houston - great player
    Ward - not even a top 10 pg
    Childs - not even a top 20 pg

So, you can argue that we had 3 all stars on our roster (Ewing, Houston, Sprewell) one of whom and our best player had very little impact on the 1999 playoffs due to missing everything from game 5 vs the Heat onwards.

Also you seem to forget JVG BUILT that NY roster of Houston, Sprewell, Camby, Ward, Larry Johnson and most of those moves received HUGE criticism. Sprewell's last move in the NBA before we acquired him was choking out P J Carlesimo... Larry Johnson was always a controversial player with his outspoken religion and had issues with many teammates in his short career... Charlie Ward was still Derek Harpers backup when JVG took over.#

I don't even know what you're trying to say about the 8th seed but whatever it is, is incorrect. We were 8th seed once under JVG in 1999, and JVG's playoff runs went like this:

96 playoffs: lost to the 72 win Bulls in JVG's first EVER season as a head coach
    97 playoffs: lost to the Heat after leading 3-1 due to the suspension of Ward, Ewing, LJ, Houston and Starks
    98 playoffs: Ewing out for half of the season and half of the playoffs, still beat the Heat but lost to the Pacers who actually were a STACKED team
    99 playoffs: NBA finals, Ewing out for most of the playoffs
    2000: lost in ECF finals

Damn yeah, its not like his record is 100 times better than MDA, or that he traded for players who would go down in the memories of Knicks fans forever right?
    Houston was NOT a great player. in fact his signing was the worst thing that this franchise did besides the Ewing debacle... Do you know that Houston was signed over getting Reggie Miller!!!! That was actually admitted by Walsh when he was interviewed after taking the Knicks job... Miller was all set to come to NY, was holding out on the Pacers and they gave Houston that disgusting contract!!! That contract also caused the Knicks to trade Spree to the Wolves....
    Also, again if you didn't see it with your own eyes you CAN NOT comment... OK, I saw LJ play for NY and he was a heck of a player. His numbers didn't reflect his game because his scoring took a back seat to Ewing!! OK, so Johnson's numbers were better when Ewing was out. Another reason why his numbers took a hit is because they played him out of position... If you remember, he was a 5 and they tried to make him a 4 and he would get TOASTED by true 4s so they moved him back and that also made Oakley dispensable. Spree played the 3 (averaged 18.6 points) and the 2.. He started at the 3 but played the 2 spot plenty of minutes and dominated at both positions! The Knicks should have done better but your genuis JVG dindn't know how to use these guys because he wanted to force them to play and slow, half court grinding game and spree and LJ needed more motion for their games. You could argue that JVG prevented that team from reaching it's potential especially offensively.

Houston was NOT a great player. in fact his signing was the worst thing that this franchise did besides the Ewing debacle... Do you know that Houston was signed over getting Reggie Miller!!!! That was actually admitted by Walsh when he was interviewed after taking the Knicks job... Miller was all set to come to NY, was holding out on the Pacers and they gave Houston that disgusting contract!!! That contract also caused the Knicks to trade Spree to the Wolves....
    Also, again if you didn't see it with your own eyes you CAN NOT comment... OK, I saw LJ play for NY and he was a heck of a player. His numbers didn't reflect his game because his scoring took a back seat to Ewing!! OK, so Johnson's numbers were better when Ewing was out. Another reason why his numbers took a hit is because they played him out of position... If you remember, he was a 5 and they tried to make him a 4 and he would get TOASTED by true 4s so they moved him back and that also made Oakley dispensable. Spree played the 3 (averaged 18.6 points) and the 2.. He started at the 3 but played the 2 spot plenty of minutes...
    Thanks but I saw plenty of that season with my own eyes so I can comment.

Houston was a great player unfortunately yes his contract screwed our franchise no doubt, if not for his injury though he was still a top 3 or 4 SG in the league at the time. Still the fact of his contract does not factor into his skill as a player which is what my "great player" comment was based on.

From what I remember LJ had about 12 ppg when Ewing was around and 15ppg when he was out. Not exactly a huge leap. LJ was a great player for us no doubt I'm not disputing that but he was not an all star like his days in Charlotte.

Spree was a beast I'm not disputing that as I said we had 3 great players one of whom was out for 3 series' in the 1999 playoffs so the team was not "stacked" that year. Considering you're saying Houston wasn't great that leaves 1 great player so hardly a stacked team at all in your opinion I guess?

The Knicks should have done better but your genuis JVG dindn't know how to use these guys because he wanted to force them to play and slow, half court grinding game and spree and LJ needed more motion for their games. You could argue that JVG prevented that team from reaching it's potential especially offensively.
    And dude, JVG forced them to play slow yes.... I wonder why? Could it be because you had one the GOAT centers on your team who has bad knees so you can't play a run and gun style with him? Regular season JVG Knicks were one of the worst offense in the league (almost as bad as Pat Riley Knicks) but playoff Knicks especially in that 99 season put up a few 100+ games running a quicker offense (since Ewing was out) and you have to remember the teams they beat were the Heat (Alonzo Mourning, PJ Brown, coached by Pat Riley etc) and the Pacers (Smitz, Davis etc) the top defenses in the NBA and went out to the Spurs (Robinson and Duncan twin 7 footers).

Also, again if you didn't see it with your own eyes you CAN NOT comment... OK, I saw LJ play for NY and he was a heck of a player. His numbers didn't reflect his game because his scoring took a back seat to Ewing!! OK, so Johnson's numbers were better when Ewing was out. Another reason why his numbers took a hit is because they played him out of position... If you remember, he was a 5 and they tried to make him a 4 and he would get TOASTED by true 4s so they moved him back and that also made Oakley dispensable. Spree played the 3 (averaged 18.6 points) and the 2.. He started at the 3 but played the 2 spot plenty of minutes and dominated at both positions! The Knicks should have done better but your genuis JVG dindn't know how to use these guys because he wanted to force them to play and slow, half court grinding game and spree and LJ needed more motion for their games. You could argue that JVG prevented that team from reaching it's potential especially offensively.
    if houston wasnt a star he was on the cusp of stardom before his knee injury he was averaging 22.5 so who knows how good he coulve been.

Originally Posted by smokes
    You're right but you should also remember Camby was still young, came to NY kinda during his post-rookie slump and he choked a lot that season. I remember Camby blowing dunks, getting layups rejected because he was too afraid to dunk it, and watching him shoot a free throw was almost as bad as Chris Dudley. He was never gonna be even half a replacement for Ewing.

Camby also had injuries that year iirc.

Also from my memory Ewing was out in game 5 against the Heat onwards. We still beat the Pacers who took the Bulls to 7 games the year before. And obviously, against the twin towers of SA we really had no chance without Ewing.
    He came to NY as a 3rd year player and it was the wonderful JVG that benched him. If you remember JVG HATED Camby because he felt he was undersized for a 5 and tried to force him to play the 4.... JVG was also very loyal to Oak and was fuming that Oak was being traded for an "under sized" 5. That's what was causing his issues... The 2 years in Toronto he was running the court, high fly dunks and was very athletic... He cam to NY and couldn't really adapt to the grinding half court game; especially at the 4... When Ewing went down, he was moved to the 5 (reluctantly by JVG) and started to get his game back... Later in his career when he was asked about his time, he politely and very tastefully hinted on his dislike of JVG and he was baffled as to why he was annexed...

He came to NY as a 3rd year player and it was the wonderful JVG that benched him. If you remember JVG HATED Camby because he felt he was undersized for a 5 and tried to force him to play the 4.... JVG was also very loyal to Oak and was fuming that Oak was being traded for an "under sized" 5. That's what was causing his issues... The 2 years in Toronto he was running the court, high fly dunks and was very athletic... He cam to NY and couldn't really adapt to the grinding half court game; especially at the 4... When Ewing went down, he was moved to the 5 (reluctantly by JVG) and started to get his game back... Later in his career when he was asked about his time, he politely and very tastefully hinted on his dislike of JVG and he was baffled as to why he was annexed...
    I know that but it's not like Camby went from being amazing to being **** in NY and then being amazing after NY. He was an awesome rookie, cooled down for a couple of years, was not great in NY (yes part of this is JVG's fault) but never really became great. His career numbers are not very different from his numbers in NY.

I do agree Camby could have had a much bigger impact on the Knicks and he did have some great plays with us especially in 99 if he had been more consistent he could have helped us HUGELY. But he was really undersized back then if you remember he was Anthony Randolph size playing against beasts like Mourning, Robinson, Duncan. He was skinny as hell in NY.