Do we pick up Billups $14M option for next season?

JoHnNyBoXeR

Benchwarmer
We have a $14M option on Chauncy Billups for net season... Do we pick that option up next season?? or go after a younger PG ?? Or just keep him on the books for next year and have that money come off the books during the Chris Paul year?

I dont know what we will do but I have faith in Donnie Walshs decision as long as that idiot Dolan isn't pulling the strings and not letting Donnie do what it do.. But I dont like what Billups brings to the table at this point of his career.. if we can get Van Gundy to coach us next season maybe he can get more out of him and all of our players than DamnPhony can..

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Too early for me. Before the injury he was playing very good/great. He's coming back to that play. He needs to pass to his teammates more. He's looking like Douglas did for most of this season lol.

Not only just Billups, but you don't sign any aging veteran player who's 35 yeard old to a 14M dollar contract. Thats something that Thomas would do.

Especially considering the fact that plenty of young potential free agent Centers could be had for much less; 14M is damn near a MAX contract & no player @ Billups age is worth that type of money.

Marc Gasol (RFA)
DeAndre Jordan
Tyson Chandler
Nene
Dalembert

Gasol would cost the most because of his skill set, potential, production & youth. I could see Gasol landing a contract worth 12-13M per.

The next one in line, that could be looking for a big pay day is DeAndre Jordan. Because of his freakish athletic talents, potential + youth... I could picture Jordan signing for 8-9M.

I'd expect Chandler & Nene to sign around 6M per.

Billups has a buy-out that cost I believe 2M, so buy buying out his contract we save 12M. You can do a lot with 12M.

Land a BIG (not named Gasol), save money, add another FA piece & let TD run the point.

I'm all for landing Jordan as our future Center but I'm also all for adding more for less. Either way I'd be on cloud 9 if we land a BIG.

If Turiaf picks up his player option worth 4M? We trade Turiaf on draft night to save 4M & land Kenneth Faried around 12-14 (Nations leading rebounder) & sign him for 1.5M.

+ Billups 12M + Turiaf's 4M - 1.5 of Faried & we saved 14.5M.

The theme of the offseason should be defense, defense & more defense & thats why we bring back both Carter & JJ for a combined 2M. We let Shelden walk which should bring us around 13M.

With that 13M we sign lets just say Chander for 7 @ the most.

That leaves us with about 6M to sign one of the best peremeter defenders around in Shane Battier for 3M which leaves us with about 3M heading into 2012.

Toney Douglas is a much better defender than Billups too.

C- Chandler / JJ / Faried
PF- Amare / Faried / JJ
SF- Carmelo / Battier / Shawne
SG- Fields / Walker / Douglas
PG- Douglas / Carter / Rautins

No more lack of size lol but I'm no Walsh!

I'm all for landing Jordan as our future Center but I'm also all for adding more for less. Either way I'd be on cloud 9 if we land a BIG.

If Turiaf picks up his player option worth 4M? We trade Turiaf on draft night to save 4M & land Kenneth Faried around 12-14 (Nations leading rebounder) & sign him for 1.5M.

+ Billups 12M + Turiaf's 4M - 1.5 of Faried & we saved 14.5M.

The theme of the offseason should be defense, defense & more defense & thats why we bring back both Carter & JJ for a combined 2M. We let Shelden walk which should bring us around 13M.

With that 13M we sign lets just say Chander for 7 @ the most.

That leaves us with about 6M to sign one of the best peremeter defenders around in Shane Battier for 3M which leaves us with about 3M heading into 2012.

Toney Douglas is a much better defender than Billups too.

C- Chandler / JJ / Faried
PF- Amare / Faried / JJ
SF- Carmelo / Battier / Shawne
SG- Fields / Walker / Douglas
PG- Douglas / Carter / Rautins

No more lack of size lol but I'm no Walsh!
Draft Kenneth Faried Agreed 100%

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
you guys are sleeping on billups, this dude is going to make you guys look stupid, when he hit the big 3 in miami everyone was praising him but when he comes back from a bad thigh injury you guys want to say he is a cancer to our team? nah watch he will work the kinks out and surprise you all.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Billups is certainly an immeasurable value for the franchise, so I would be very careful claiming whether we should pick up his option or not. In my opinion it all depends what could we get in return, so therefore I count on Walsh's awareness of making this kind of important decisions and as long as Dolan won't be trying to have more influence on personnel decisions I am relaxed we'll do what we have to and what's best for this team.

KBlack25

Starter
The answer is Yes, and here is why:

Losing the $13 mil of Billups' salary does not get us significantly under the cap to make a big-splash free agent signing. We are over the cap right now, I believe, losing $13 million in salary does NOT give us $13 mil in room.

If we pick up the $14 million option, we now have an expiring deal worth $14 mil that could be a good trade chip.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
Billups and Cap Space

We do not know what the new CBA cap space will be or what adjustments, if any, will be made for current contracts that are above a new CBA cap. If we assume a new cap will be identical to the old -- approximately $58M -- which is a generous assumption, and if we keep Billups, we will be well over the cap, principally because of the outsized contracts for Amare' and Melo.

If we do not pick up Billups' $14.2M contract, there is a buy out obligation which -- according to the "media" is $3.7M. Berman says $3M but I think he is wrong which for him is a common occurrence. The buyout amount will count against the cap so that we would save $10.5M. This on my calculations would put us at a committed salary for eight players, our rookie draft pick and three phantom minimums to make up the necessary 12 man cap roster at about $50.675M of cap salary. This will be reduced by whatever we are likely to spend to sign Shawne Williams. That means we will have about $6M to sign a big.

The big man we want is likely to cost substantially more than that. The suggestion that we could get a Nene for $6M is ridiculous.

mafra

Legend
Chauncey Billups is a proven WINNER in the NBA. He's done a lot more in this sport than Mike D'antoni could ever dream of accomplishing. He can run an offense, hit big shots, he's gritty-gutty (a warrior), and is dedicated to defense. His best days are behind him, but like J-Kidd... He has worth still!

With this said, and with no disrespect to CB... We should buy him out and let him go. Sure, normally MD's freestyle SSOL offense means good things for PGs. Nash, Duhon, Felton all saw their career numbers tick upwards when they played in MD's scheme. Duhon-Felton burned out quickly though.

This offense is not for Billups. Simple as that. But let's not besmirch the good name of Chauncey Billups... please. He deserves better. Perchance his poor play is more of an indictment on the coaching acumen of Mike D'antoni? After all, Billups has the ring. We shouldn't trash on Billups (saying he's done/washed-up). He proved against MIA he still has "it." What had MD proven since he's arrived?

I think this veiled comment from Billups last night was his defense against such personal attacks that have begun to simmer:

"To give up 64 points in the first half and (50) in the second half. . . . I don't care how good your offense is," said Chauncey Billups, who had 14 points and 10 assists, but missed 10 of 16 shots, including a late jumper. "We'd have to score 120 points, and that puts a lot of pressure on our offense. Our defense is going to make or break us, I believe."

There you have it. Billups prefers to win ugly than lose beautifully. He prefers to battle, grind and win by beating your opponent, rather than finesse, race and spread out your enemy. He feels offense is HALF the battle. That you aid your offense by playing defense.

This is CB's retort to all of those who have judged CB after 20 games. He's telling us that it's insane to play every game shooting for 120 points, as if the NBA is some sort of gymnastic competition where you're judged soley by your offensive performance on a scale of 0-10 (and the best score wins).

Basketball is a game played against two teams, 5 players against 5 players. This isn't something that's played in the ideal, where it's you versus the course... There's actually something to the notion that YOU ARE ALLOWED to stop, prevent, defend the other team from doing what it's trying to do.

tiger0330

Legend
The answer is Yes, and here is why:

Losing the $13 mil of Billups' salary does not get us significantly under the cap to make a big-splash free agent signing. We are over the cap right now, I believe, losing $13 million in salary does NOT give us $13 mil in room.

If we pick up the $14 million option, we now have an expiring deal worth $14 mil that could be a good trade chip.
I don't think I could stand another year watching this team. I've seen enough, while I don't think Billups is the problem we need to use his cap space to see if we can bring in a big, a PG to replace him, someone to replace JJ that can score as well as defend.

I know we gave him a verbal to re-sign him but if we miss the playoffs or just squeak by in the 7th seed and get swept then we need to make significant changes for next year.

skisloper

Starter
Billups is certainly an immeasurable value for the franchise, so I would be very careful claiming whether we should pick up his option or not. In my opinion it all depends what could we get in return, so therefore I count on Walsh's awareness of making this kind of important decisions and as long as Dolan won't be trying to have more influence on personnel decisions I am relaxed we'll do what we have to and what's best for this team.

There is no doubt on Billups value.....But for 14 million dollars there is no need to pay him that and money could be spent otherwise....we do not need a 14 million dollar rental.....

I love that he is on the team now and think he will be key in the playoffs...
However..
Lets assume we cannot find a big PG in 2012.
I say let douglas run it for us in 2011.
If he suceeds and we get a big then we have a team with Billups money and more money in 2012 for big men.

skisloper

Starter
We do not know what the new CBA cap space will be or what adjustments, if any, will be made for current contracts that are above a new CBA cap. If we assume a new cap will be identical to the old -- approximately $58M -- which is a generous assumption, and if we keep Billups, we will be well over the cap, principally because of the outsized contracts for Amare' and Melo.

If we do not pick up Billups' $14.2M contract, there is a buy out obligation which -- according to the "media" is $3.7M. Berman says $3M but I think he is wrong which for him is a common occurrence. The buyout amount will count against the cap so that we would save $10.5M. This on my calculations would put us at a committed salary for eight players, our rookie draft pick and three phantom minimums to make up the necessary 12 man cap roster at about $50.675M of cap salary. This will be reduced by whatever we are likely to spend to sign Shawne Williams. That means we will have about $6M to sign a big.

The big man we want is likely to cost substantially more than that. The suggestion that we could get a Nene for $6M is ridiculous.

I will safely assume we can also trade Turiaf thus giving us 10 million.
I think 10 million is a magic number and could bring Nene or Gasol.

Douglas
Fields
Melo
Amare
Gasol

stronger...

TheGarden95: Don't talk about fans being stupid for sleeping on Billups when...

Your the so called fan who's rooting for NY to lose every game, just to show your own hatred for MDA. You want us to miss the playoffs, made a thread about wanting to miss the playoffs, just to see MDA get fired. You have more hate for the coach than you do for the players success, team success or this team earning the much needed playoff experience to become a true contender next year no matter who the coach is. Pathetic.

Don't "talk" about how fans turning on Billups after that MIA game either; because you did more than turn on Billups... You turned on this franchise because of a deep ugly hatred for a good coach.

The question to this thread was related to his $14,000,000 contract. Not Billups the player. Sorry if you couldn't read between those lines.

I love Billups leadership ability as a veteran PG who has a boat load of playoff experience a former Finals MVP, clutch as ever but NO 35 year old aging player is worth 14M.

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
we'll see in the playoffs. If they get it in -__-. Kemba Walker is projected around our area 14-18. So he can be there. That'll be dope

STAT1

Starter
Chauncey Billups is a proven WINNER in the NBA. He's done a lot more in this sport than Mike D'antoni could ever dream of accomplishing. He can run an offense, hit big shots, he's gritty-gutty (a warrior), and is dedicated to defense. His best days are behind him, but like J-Kidd... He has worth still!

With this said, and with no disrespect to CB... We should buy him out and let him go. Sure, normally MD's freestyle SSOL offense means good things for PGs. Nash, Duhon, Felton all saw their career numbers tick upwards when they played in MD's scheme. Duhon-Felton burned out quickly though.

This offense is not for Billups. Simple as that. But let's not besmirch the good name of Chauncey Billups... please. He deserves better. Perchance his poor play is more of an indictment on the coaching acumen of Mike D'antoni? After all, Billups has the ring. We shouldn't trash on Billups (saying he's done/washed-up). He proved against MIA he still has "it." What had MD proven since he's arrived?

I think this veiled comment from Billups last night was his defense against such personal attacks that have begun to simmer:

"To give up 64 points in the first half and (50) in the second half. . . . I don't care how good your offense is," said Chauncey Billups, who had 14 points and 10 assists, but missed 10 of 16 shots, including a late jumper. "We'd have to score 120 points, and that puts a lot of pressure on our offense. Our defense is going to make or break us, I believe."

There you have it. Billups prefers to win ugly than lose beautifully. He prefers to battle, grind and win by beating your opponent, rather than finesse, race and spread out your enemy. He feels offense is HALF the battle. That you aid your offense by playing defense.

This is CB's retort to all of those who have judged CB after 20 games. He's telling us that it's insane to play every game shooting for 120 points, as if the NBA is some sort of gymnastic competition where you're judged soley by your offensive performance on a scale of 0-10 (and the best score wins).

Basketball is a game played against two teams, 5 players against 5 players. This isn't something that's played in the ideal, where it's you versus the course... There's actually something to the notion that YOU ARE ALLOWED to stop, prevent, defend the other team from doing what it's trying to do.

Bring in a defensive minded coach who will slow down the pace a little & run a more structured offense & I believe CB's talents would be better utilized. He's no longer got the legs to run uptempo for 48 minutes this guy needs to play a more halfcourt style game. Someone like Doc Rivers would be a great fit IMHO, both for this city & for this team. Add a defensive minded C who can patrol the paint with STAT & Melo with a defensive minded head coach & I believe CB's abilities will be a better fit than someone like Toney Douglas, who has been playing well of late but is still somewhat clueless on how to run an offense at the PG position. I like the idea of TD continuing to learn as CB's backup since the trade TD's #'s have improved I don't think this is an accident. He's being tutored by someone who's been there & done that that can only help his development going forward.