Inside the head of the (So Called) Genius Mike D'antoni

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
In this thread i will share with you all of mikes "genius offensive plays and let you see all of the 100 trick plays and easy scoring plays thats in his playbook!

Plays #1
iefjtj.jpg

Does that play look familiar? Haha the first play is the screen play melo constantly uses with the PG that does absolutely nothing to help score the basketball but instead makes it seem like their doing something rather than just feeding him the ball in the post and letting him do work he let clock waste and defenders get in position for either a double or for better stance, mike wants to run that fancy play to make the offense look "ADVANCED"

OH and the second play is the wing 3 PNR chauncey does with amare that goes absolutely nowhere and has chauncey reset the offense every single time he does it which burns about 6 seconds off of the clock, OMG THERES MORE!

Plays #2
8x582u.jpg

Now the first play is the iso play with amare where mike puts him far away from the basket and allows him to dribble and break down his defender thus leading to a bad shot/missed shot/or a turnover or the best case scenario he gets fouled or makes his little floater around the rim

The second play is designed to get our PG an open 3 and although it only works if a player besides jarred jeffries sets the screen 9/10 it will be a contested deep 3 pointer thus starting the fast break for the opposing team, but hey if you make it its all good :)

Plays #3
20sj9eg.jpg

Now this play is SUPPOSE to get shawn williams an open 3! but wait,mike also uses this play when jarred jeffries and amare stoudemire is in the 4 spot, but hey amare has hit 2 threes off of this play so it has to be a success right?

Well that just about covers the most exciting,fast pace,unpredictable,unguardable,undeniably,electric,unique,genius,mastermind offense in the entire NBA so with these 5 plays we should never have trouble scoring or getting quality looks.

If anyone finds more plays from the Legendary mike dantoni pad please share them.

KingofNy

Starter
We run the 1-4 high occasionally but for some reason Antoni has our Center at the top of the key and it normally ends up just turning into an isolation to Stat or Melo because no one ever gets open.

1-4high_2.gif

1-4high_3.gif

Here's another option we run out of that set....

1-4high_6.gif

Whole lot of NO movement.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
We run the 1-4 high occasionally but for some reason Antoni has our Center at the top of the key and it normally ends up just turning into an isolation to Stat or Melo because no one ever gets open.

1-4high_2.gif

1-4high_3.gif

Here's another option we run out of that set....

1-4high_6.gif

Whole lot of NO movement.

and that is what i am trying to understand is that he says we need ball movement and passing but his plays are really just us running around for 15 secs looking like we are trying to get open shots but for some reason it turns into an iso game with melo/amare

KingofNy

Starter
and that is what i am trying to understand is that he says we need ball movement and passing but his plays are really just us running around for 15 secs looking like we are trying to get open shots but for some reason it turns into an iso game with melo/amare

You are exactly right. Every 4th quarter we pretty much have no ball movement and run the same three plays over and over again. Most of those plays just end with feeding Amare at the top of the key and he either shoots it or attempts to drive to the basket (mostly turning it over). This is why our offense normally can keep up the first 3 quarters and then looks so stagnant in the 4th.

Also, Antoni needs to rest his guys earlier in the game so his starters can play most of the 4th quarter. He's been sitting Fields, Melo, and Turiaf for pretty much 1/2-3/4 of the 4th quarter which makes absolutely NO sense. An Antoni coached team is so frustrating to watch it's almost unwatchable....at least now that we have stars and suck worse that we did before hand.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
You are exactly right. Every 4th quarter we pretty much have no ball movement and run the same three plays over and over again. Most of those plays just end with feeding Amare at the top of the key and he either shoots it or attempts to drive to the basket (mostly turning it over). This is why our offense normally can keep up the first 3 quarters and then looks so stagnant in the 4th.

Also, Antoni needs to rest his guys earlier in the game so his starters can play most of the 4th quarter. He's been sitting Fields, Melo, and Turiaf for pretty much 1/2-3/4 of the 4th quarter which makes absolutely NO sense. An Antoni coached team is so frustrating to watch it's almost unwatchable....at least now that we have stars and suck worse that we did before hand.

i agree about sitting his guys at the wrong timw, melo would be hot to end the first uarter and he will b benched for the beginning of the 2nd come back cold and stay in untill h is hot again

STAT1

Starter
I think this one's most accurate...
dantonicoaching.jpg

Sad but amazingly accurate I don't know how many times I've seen our PG's just dribble the ball up court stop & fire a 3 without even trying to set up a play or any set rebounders under the basket ready to get a potential Offensive board. There is way too much freedom for guys to launch up shots in this offense there needs to be more structure IMO. I'm no coaching genius nor do I pretend to be but any novice observer can tell you that dribbling up court & launching up a 3 on every other possession is not a sound offensive strategy to win many games.

When bashing our D we have under MDA? I can understand.

But to even question his offensive ability as a great offensive mind? Thats over board & it's going too far. It's ugly.

None of you can even come half way close to having the type of offensive success as an NBA head coach that MikeD has always enjoyed. Lets stop acting like "you know more about basketball" than a man thats paid 6M to coach. Your a FAN!

We rank #2 in offensive scoring. When was the last time NY ever ranked #2 in scoring?

Felton wasn't here last year & has never been considered a top 10 PG. Had a career year under MDA's system. Fields is only a rook learning on the fly. Douglas is only a 2nd year player who's coming into his own & as a huge FSU fan? I've seen the huge NBA progress he's made from his college days. Mozgov was a rookie only averaging 2 points per game. Gallo & Chander don't even rank as top 50 offensive NBA talents.

You guys crossed the line with this thread. This is pure hatred for a GREAT offensive coach. It's sick.

Why aren't you an NBA head coach? Because your nothing more than a fan who thinks he knows more than an NBA pro making 6M per year. Your a message board poster bro. Nothing smart about that or this thread...

Long story short...

A) Start to coach some little league basketball. Thats a decent start.

B) Work your way up to middle school & show these kids the simple, basic 101 basketball plays that you've learned during the years of watching from your living room.

C) Try & work your way up to HS coaching where you can then win state championships because of your amazingly high offensive basketball IQ. Turn HS kids into future NCAA stars.

D) Coach for either Duke, NC or even a Jr.College team & try & make it into the Final 4; while teaching college kids the game of basketball while turning those kids into future NBA stars.

E) Become an NBA coach, earn coach of the year honors & have Walsh sign you to coach a rebuilding team.

Maybe THEN you can tell message boards around the world how much more you know

TakMan

Rotation player
A great offensive coach is also able to adapt the team's play going forward when thing aren't working out. I've not seen the Knicks alter their style of play when shooting 20% from behind the arc. If anything it reinforces their determination to continue to shoot bricks. 2nd best offence is also down to the amount of shots that are taken in a game. When the opposition score a basket within 3-5 seconds of their play, it's only logical that the Knicks will get more opportunities to score than any other team who may force the opposition into a shot within 15-20 seconds of play. What's worse is that the opposition teams appear to have sussed out the Knicks style of play and are grabbing the 'W' easier than ever. I haven't seen a team take this many forced shots since we lied about our ages at a 3on3 tournament last year so that we can play against teams averaging the age of 12.....I'm 28. If D'Antoni does not realise the need to add variety to the Knicks offensive approach, he will soon become a greatly offensive coach and nothing else.

Last edited:

iJoe

Rotation player
While I enjoy some of the humor which people seem to take a little too seriously, the problem always goes both ways.

A coach may have the most brilliant offensive schemes in the world, but if his players can't remember/follow/comprehend or is just plain dumb (aka stromile swift) then it really sucks for the coach.

Great smart player? Can make coach look like a genius as the play runs smoothly. He cuts at the right times, is always in great positions and generally makes the game a whole lot easier for everyone.

Dumb as bricks player? Can make any offensive play look like "I just jack up bad shots and I only have eyes for the ball"

Now is Dantoni a bad offensive coach? A vast majority would say he's great at offensive schemes.

Now is he good at teaching dumb or stubborn players..... that seems the be the key issue. Just keep in mind that there is only so much a coach can do if the player is not willing to learn, though some coaches are definitely better at hammering in their points than others.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
I was watching NBA TV this week & Kenny Smith mentioned something about the Knicks. He thinks that our offense has become very predictable & after looking at some of the plays in this thread I agree. And that's a recipe for disaster considering how bad the defense is. It looks as if teams know exactly what the Knicks going to do & they lock us down forcing the bad shots & chucking from 3pt land in the 4th quarter.

p0nder

Starter
I've seen a lot of bad plays go down this year (2011). I think a lot of it has to do with trying to ingrain the offense in the new players. It takes time and there is a level you need to reach with the system in order for it to work, so we start off with basic plays and the PNR staple.

MY concern is more toward his abilities to draw up plays out of time outs. In the past 3 years I have watch terrible inbound play after terrible inbound play go down. I don't see the ball go into the right hands, I don't see the passer have a clear line of sight, I never see us take the timeout instead of making the bad pass, I don't see multiple options open for the pass. It's an important aspect of the game, and very important in the playoffs. To be able to take the timeout on that side of the floor, get the right guys into the game and make the right play at the right time is very important in games that come down to the wire.

At least get it in play and not cause a turnover.

I have seen everyone on this team from Felton to Amar'e to JJ to billups to gallo to friggin anyone have a shitty time on those inbounds plays and I put that on the coach. It is severely lacking and until i can point to some good inbound plays I'm not sold on Coach's ability to think on his feet and stay within the flow of the game.

I like the system (there i said it) I just think that the coach needs to know when to make his calls during the game. D'ant is great at preparing the team, but during the game he's not managing the clock, making good calls on crucial plays etc. I think he's been stunted by having a brilliant PG to run his system and make those decisions for him.