Has MDA lost the players? (Melo postgame comments)

smokes

Huge Member
If you saw tonights Magic game you know what I'm talking about.

Melo said that "we threw out the schemes, the X's and O's, we just played hard" and when commenting on why they didn't foul at the end of regulation to save the game going to OT he said "you gotta ask coach about that one, I don't make those calls..." with a telling smirk on his face.

Honestly if MDA has lost Melo it's only a matter of time before the rest of the team is lost too. Unless MDA can lead us on a really successful run I doubt he can get the players back. Is MDA really on his way out now?

Discuss!

smokes

Huge Member
If he lost the locker room then he needs to go.

That said, I don't think those comments indicate that he has.

He probably hasn't lost all the players yet. But those comments do appear to me like he lost Melo. The way Melo looked and the expression on his face when answering that said a lot more than just the words themselves.

If Melo is gone its only a matter of time before the rest of the players follow since he is going to become our leader on the court.

KBlack25

Starter
He probably hasn't lost all the players yet. But those comments do appear to me like he lost Melo. The way Melo looked and the expression on his face when answering that said a lot more than just the words themselves.

If Melo is gone its only a matter of time before the rest of the players follow since he is going to become our leader on the court.

Melo just got out of a situation where his coach bashed him upon leaving. He just made a pretty public scene to force his way to NY, an ordeal that lasted months.

Maybe he decided to - after the turmoil of this season - not try and ruffle any feathers by commenting either way on a question that should be reserved for the coach. Maybe he decided to "pick his battles"- rather than comment here in the midst of a playoff run and go over the head of the coach, by making any comment, he decided to fall in line and shut his mouth for a little. That doesn't mean that privately Melo isn't so into MDA. But the comments don't indicate much, in my eyes.

la2ny

Starter
Melo just got out of a situation where his coach bashed him upon leaving. He just made a pretty public scene to force his way to NY, an ordeal that lasted months.

Maybe he decided to - after the turmoil of this season - not try and ruffle any feathers by commenting either way on a question that should be reserved for the coach.
Exactly. He just answered a question he shouldn't have even been asked.

smokes

Huge Member
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks the look on his face was saying "why don't you ask our dumbass coach".

la2ny

Starter
Maybe I'm the only one who thinks the look on his face was saying "why don't you ask our dumbass coach".
Thats pretty much what he said lol, but I didn't get the fire his ass vibe. Though Im sure he wants a coach similar to what most fans do.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
It was a question to bait Melo and he reacted a little to it like he was surprised.

He answered it correctly though.

The players give their best effort in weeks and now MDA has lost the locker room smh??? :no:

The time to ask this question has passed sir..

KBlack25

Starter

Maybe I'm the only one not familiar enough with Carmelo Anthony and how he contorts his face in a multitude of different situations to where I can read his face without knowing him or what goes on in his head.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Don't really think the comments were indicative of a locker room revolution.

But it's good to see that no one's exempt from being blamed in Melo's eyes. As long as it's justified and reasonable, I can see that as a form of constructive criticism.

The media will manifest some BS out of it no doubt.

Regarding the game, the other glaring question that remains to me is why we didn't hit STAT in the paint when Howard had 5 fouls. That's just retarded.

Billups, though he made a pair of critical 3s, was pretty poor. Good plays here and there, but a very shabby performance. If those 3s didn't drop, he'd be in the ko.com stocks right now.

smokes

Huge Member
It was a question to bait Melo and he reacted a little to it like he was surprised.

He answered it correctly though.

The players give their best effort in weeks and now MDA has lost the locker room smh??? :no:

The time to ask this question has passed sir..

Of course it was a loaded question not disputing that.

And yes he answered it correctly, verbally.

As I said, he probably hasn't lost everyone yet. Melo clearly lost more respect for him tonight though.

Maybe I'm the only one not familiar enough with Carmelo Anthony and how he contorts his face in a multitude of different situations to where I can read his face without knowing him or what goes on in his head.

Yeah of course it's just like that. So if someone came up to you grinning and told you they are dying from a gunshot wound you'd think they are serious...

TakMan

Rotation player

I saw more variation in the Knicks offence today than I have done in a long time. Same applies for hustle on defence, I don't know how much of that's down to the coach and how much is down to the players however some of the movement I saw had to be pre-planned. Good win but some of you sound like you would have preferred the loss. Though many do openly admit to this by stating that they'd rather the team miss the playoffs.

Crazy⑧s;171092 said:
Don't really think the comments were indicative of a locker room revolution.

But it's good to see that no one's exempt from being blamed in Melo's eyes. As long as it's justified and reasonable, I can see that as a form of constructive criticism.

The media will manifest some BS out of it no doubt.

Regarding the game, the other glaring question that remains to me is why we didn't hit STAT in the paint when Howard had 5 fouls. That's just retarded.

Billups, though he made a pair of critical 3s, was pretty poor. Good plays here and there, but a very shabby performance. If those 3s didn't drop, he'd be in the ko.com stocks right now.
i guess because Melo was beasting and STAT isn't really that good at drawing fouls.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I saw more variation in the Knicks offence today than I have done in a long time. Same applies for hustle on defence, I don't know how much of that's down to the coach and how much is down to the players however some of the movement I saw had to be pre-planned. Good win but some of you sound like you would have preferred the loss. Though many do openly admit to this by stating that they'd rather the team miss the playoffs.

Lots of truth here..

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee

Come on, anyone can make that call. Smokes may have a very deft frontal lobe?

Or a very deft frontal knobe, Smokes?

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Of course it was a loaded question not disputing that.

And yes he answered it correctly, verbally.

As I said, he probably hasn't lost everyone yet. Melo clearly lost more respect for him tonight though.

Yeah of course it's just like that. So if someone came up to you grinning and told you they are dying from a gunshot wound you'd think they are serious...

And there's the reply I'm looking for.

smokes

Huge Member

Well I'm not one of those people. I also don't hate MDA I'd just prefer someone else for us. I wouldn't be devastated if he was our coach next year. I've also openly said in many threads I think MDA is a good coach just not for us.

I think his coaching is amazing when you win by 15 or 20 points, but in close games it falls apart.

I definitely didn't want us to lose I am really excited about the win I just call it like I see it.

I didnt see all of the game but the announcers were talking at the end as if Stat wasn't playing great and was shying away from the ball in OT?

KingofNy

Starter
If you saw tonights Magic game you know what I'm talking about.

Melo said that "we threw out the schemes, the X's and O's, we just played hard" and when commenting on why they didn't foul at the end of regulation to save the game going to OT he said "you gotta ask coach about that one, I don't make those calls..." with a telling smirk on his face.

Honestly if MDA has lost Melo it's only a matter of time before the rest of the team is lost too. Unless MDA can lead us on a really successful run I doubt he can get the players back. Is MDA really on his way out now?

Discuss!

I totally agree it was obvious Melo wanted to say something but stopped himself after he realized he was being baited. Honestly, I was happier about the smirk than I was about the win. Like a previous poster stated in the game thread, this organization is built around Anthony, not Dumbtoni. Unless mike pulls off some sort of miracle run his @$$ is gonna be canned at the end of the season.

And for all those that thought we played great tonight. Go back and rewatch the game later tonight and listen to how many times Walt called out Antoni and our team. I stopped counting at 20 but there were many more... This is how Antoni's team is, if we're hitting most of our shots we win, if we shoot less than 45% from the floor we have NO chance. Don't forget Nelson didn't play tonight either, he's the one that's been killing us each game we've played them.

KingofNy

Starter
Well I'm not one of those people. I also don't hate MDA I'd just prefer someone else for us. I wouldn't be devastated if he was our coach next year. I've also openly said in many threads I think MDA is a good coach just not for us.

I think his coaching is amazing when you win by 15 or 20 points, but in close games it falls apart.

I definitely didn't want us to lose I am really excited about the win I just call it like I see it.

I didnt see all of the game but the announcers were talking at the end as if Stat wasn't playing great and was shying away from the ball in OT?

Stat did shy away from the ball in the 4th for some reason... He didn't keep his head up when he cut to the basket and barely called for the ball. Maybe he wasn't feeling well or something.