Bench Fields, give Walker/Mason minutes

Paul1355

All Star
Okay knick fans my favorite Knick, favorite rookie, Landry Fields is struggling. It is no secret but I am fed up. He was DREADFUL tonight, absolutely terrible. Fields metric stats must have been horrible, when he was on the floor all I saw was the Knicks slowly losing leads as the huge lead was sweeping away against the Cavs. Good thing we won but Fields was scaring me.

I loved Billy Walker

Sky Walker wants to play and wants it now while Fields is somewhere off in the clouds, we should limit the star players minutes and give Walker some face time. Let him start dunking on people, getting rebounds, and hitting three point shots...(Fields is only doing good at getting rebounds right now)

Mason has played well recently, I don't know why he is not playing anymore. Mike D's rotations are the worst, hands down. But that's another story. Mason is a shooter, he spreads the floor for the big men to get open down low. Play him with Amare and you'll see. Mason is smart and has experience and hits big shots during offensive runs.

For defensive purposes Anthony Carter can get some minutes at the 1 while Billups plays the 2....include Douglas in there if he is making shots.

What does everyone else think?

cathaytrader

Benchwarmer
I'm with you regarding Walker. He played extremely well early on and did not deserve to see as much of the bench as he did. Thankfully D'Antoni put him back in later in the game.

We can't afford to bench Fields & just keep him sitting there ice cold. That wouldn't help his development.

But I do agree, that he needs to either come off the bench or have his mins reduced as a starter by 8-12 per when compared to what he's been earning.

We need Fields as fresh & as strong as possible heading into the playoffs, but at the same time; we need to give him just the right ammount of PT where he can improve, impact games & slowly progress heading into the playoffs. We need him ready to impact as a starter come playoff time.

I miss the pre-trade Fields too. The one that has shown flashes of greatness as an off the ball player, excellent peremeter defense, top rebounding Guard, hustled & fought for every loose ball, the ability to drive to the paint & either finish strong or athletic @ the rim etc.

The good news? It's not a mental block. His IQ is to high. It's due to the fact that he's a rookie coming off a month where NY played 18 games! All he needs are his legs back under his talents.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Now's not the time to force aside the league's best rebounding guard!!! It's the time to help him establish a niche in his adulterated new role offensively.

If anything, I'd like for us to make him one of, if not the, focal of a secondary unit when we've built a substantial lead through the remaining 6 games. 20 minutes PT/second unit player.

We're a team still searching for post trade continuity.

I think we should allow Fields (as a member of the 2nd and starting 5), Walker, Carter, Williams and Jefferies a chance to establish some familiarity with one another in the event of foul trouble or (touch wood) injury to our big 3 during the 1st round.

Our offence without STAT or Melo is basically featureless spacing with Williams and Douglas shooting from the perimeter. If we're to pit our bench against Miami's for instance, that would be our best opportunity to gain momentum against an inferior line up. Their bench is woeful, and looks like it could be a likely match up for us. And in the equal likelihood that we face Boston, we need our second unit to be as productive as possible.

I say second unit, but I believe he should still be a starter that becomes part of a pivotal second unit as one of 3 primary offensive options.

● Seeing they're so detrimental to our success and even potential elimination of a first round opponent, we need to rest our stars, including its senior member, Billups, who are the only 3 eggs in the offensive basket on the majority of plays.

Fields is also our second best fast break outlet option to Melo, as the fastest individual on the team, and has impeccable timing, as displayed throughout the season, when corralling rebounds on second attempts in the event of an unconverted fast break opportunity.

I honestly feel that it's his exclusion from the offence that is the cause of his slump. Figuratively kicking him when he's down is pointless and destructive.

You don't move perennial bench players in to the starting line up when the playoffs are upon you either. That's not something that has been done in the past for a very good reason.

Having said all of this, D'Antoni has already said he'd prefer not to rest his stars in the last 6 games after clinching a playoff berth.

Since the trade his numbers are essentially the same

hes always been inconsistent with scoring. He has remained at a 40 percent clip from the three point line

he continues to rebound the ball well at the 2 guard, which we need and why he has to stay in games.

he went 1-6 in 19 minutes last night.

He only took a combined 4-5 shots the 2 games before that.

the game before that he had 16 pnts 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

he sprinkles some good offensive games with some games he just doesnt take shots.

but he definitely isnt in a SLUMP.

he manages to grab 5-7 boards, and like last night managed to get 3 steals in a game his shot was off.

Hes a ROOKIE people

relax

bottom line is he is better than mason jr and billy walker

no way walker averages 10 ppg and 6 rebounds this year.

walker is a chucker when he is on he looks great, when he is off he looks terrible and coach benches him rightfully so.

If fields is off, he will get a block a few steals and 7-10 rebounds to make up for it.

So I get that fields has slipped a lil bit, but not to the point where you call it a slump. Hes a rookie, and needs to learn how to break through off nights, as well as nights where he doesnt get the looks.

in the end you keep him in the starting line up and allow him to make up for our rebounding deficiencies.

its kinda funny

since his 3 game lil slump

we are 3-0.

and we wanna change the starting line up around

for what ??

TakMan

Rotation player
Crazy⑧s;172345 said:
Now's not the time to force aside the league's best rebounding guard!!! It's the time to help him establish a niche in his adulterated new role offensively.

If anything, I'd like for us to make him one of, if not the, focal of a secondary unit when we've built a substantial lead through the remaining 6 games. 20 minutes PT/second unit player.

We're a team still searching for post trade continuity.

I think we should allow Fields (as a member of the 2nd and starting 5), Walker, Carter, Williams and Jefferies a chance to establish some familiarity with one another in the event of foul trouble or (touch wood) injury to our big 3 during the 1st round.

Our offence without STAT or Melo is basically featureless spacing with Williams and Douglas shooting from the perimeter. If we're to pit our bench against Miami's for instance, that would be our best opportunity to gain momentum against an inferior line up. Their bench is woeful, and looks like it could be a likely match up for us. And in the equal likelihood that we face Boston, we need our second unit to be as productive as possible.

I say second unit, but I believe he should still be a starter that becomes part of a pivotal second unit as one of 3 primary offensive options.

● Seeing they're so detrimental to our success and even potential elimination of a first round opponent, we need to rest our stars, including its senior member, Billups, who are the only 3 eggs in the offensive basket on the majority of plays.

Fields is also our second best fast break outlet option to Melo, as the fastest individual on the team, and has impeccable timing, as displayed throughout the season, when corralling rebounds on second attempts in the event of an unconverted fast break opportunity.

I honestly feel that it's his exclusion from the offence that is the cause of his slump. Figuratively kicking him when he's down is pointless and destructive.

You don't move perennial bench players in to the starting line up when the playoffs are upon you either. That's not something that has been done in the past for a very good reason.

Having said all of this, D'Antoni has already said he'd prefer not to rest his stars in the last 6 games after clinching a playoff berth.

I think the second most important player to pay attention to during the next 6 games is Derrick Brown. There's no point in leaving him on the inactive list against Toronto. Give him a chance to show what he can do. Give Walker and Shelden more minutes as well. Shelden is on the verge of establishing himself as our best (and only?) player in the 'C' position. Players such as Walker Fields and Brown are young and develop-able; Now's the chance to work some magic on them.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Since the trade his numbers are essentially the same

hes always been inconsistent with scoring. He has remained at a 40 percent clip from the three point line

he continues to rebound the ball well at the 2 guard, which we need and why he has to stay in games.

he went 1-6 in 19 minutes last night.

He only took a combined 4-5 shots the 2 games before that.

the game before that he had 16 pnts 6 rebounds and 6 assists.

he sprinkles some good offensive games with some games he just doesnt take shots.

but he definitely isnt in a SLUMP.

he manages to grab 5-7 boards, and like last night managed to get 3 steals in a game his shot was off.

Hes a ROOKIE people

relax

bottom line is he is better than mason jr and billy walker

no way walker averages 10 ppg and 6 rebounds this year.

walker is a chucker when he is on he looks great, when he is off he looks terrible and coach benches him rightfully so.

If fields is off, he will get a block a few steals and 7-10 rebounds to make up for it.

So I get that fields has slipped a lil bit, but not to the point where you call it a slump. Hes a rookie, and needs to learn how to break through off nights, as well as nights where he doesnt get the looks.

in the end you keep him in the starting line up and allow him to make up for our rebounding deficiencies.

its kinda funny

since his 3 game lil slump

we are 3-0.

and we wanna change the starting line up around

for what ??

Pure gold

===============================================

sub_ny_r2.png

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kn...source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

NEW YORK -- Going into tonight's game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, it has been six straight games since Landry Fields had more than three buckets in a single game.

You have to go back to two Sundays ago, on the afternoon the Knicks scored 9 points in the first quarter and lost in Milwaukee, to find a game in which Fields was productive (13 points on 5-for-11 shooting) on the offensive end of the floor.

Getting production out of Fields was not a problem before the big trade, but he has struggled to fit into a rhythm with the new players in the Knicks' rotation, and he has steadily been losing minutes to Anthony Carter, Roger Mason, Bill Walker and Toney Douglas at the 2-guard spot.

Fields scored just 2 points in 15 minutes in Wednesday night's victory over New Jersey, dropping his scoring average below 10 points (9.9). He had only 3 points in the previous game, a victory over Orlando.

Coach Mike D'Antoni offered an explanation late this afternoon, making one of his strongest statements to date that there is a confidence crisis with the rookie from Stanford.

"It's because of the pace, more or less," D'Antoni said. "He was real smart about cutting without the ball, and leaking out, and all that stuff, and if that?s not there then he starts pressing a little bit. That's the problem. Then you start doing something that he?s not adept at doing, not now ? we can work on his game and try to expand it -- but when he starts doing it, he makes a mistake, then psychologically he's like, 'Well, I'm not playing real well.' You worry about it, you lose your confidence, then it all ties in together.

"But we?ll keep pushing and trying to get him back to where he's comfortable with what we?re doing, and we?ve got seven games to do that," D'Antoni said.

I'll give Walker more minutes because Fields has slowed down lately. I think the experience is needed, plus he's not afraid to yam it on someone. Those dunks he be trying to do are momentum killers for the opposing team. I have my reservations with Mason, I only see him shooting the three and not much more.

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Fields has been consistently blown off when he cuts to the basket by his "NEW" teammates. I constantly see him make nice cuts to the basket only for Melo or Billups to think twice about passing it and allowing Landry's defender to catch up. They need to trust the Rook.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Landry Fields need two games off.....he started every game this season

He could definitely use some rest. He also needs to play to get accustomed to what we're doing now. Hopefully MDA can find a balance so that he's refreshed and more in sync going into the playoffs.