To Rest or Not To Rest...That is the Question!

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Now that we have clinched a playoff spot do we rest out stars in order to have them fresh or push hard in order to be on a roll come playoff time?

I say we do a bit of both. I think it is important to go into the playoffs with momentum therefore we should try our hardest to win every game possible. We have many new players that still have not fully acclimated to our system and roster therefore they must play as much as possible in order to be ready for an upset come playoff time. This should be accompanied with a relaxed practice schedule that encompasses more film sessions and less full contact scrimmages. I would even afford vets like Billups, Amare and Melo an opportunity to sit out some scrimmages and possibly a strategic game or two each.

It's a fine line D'ant must walk to be prepared for the playoffs while still resting our stars and making sure they have fresh legs.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Tough call eh.

I vote for a good balance of rest and refinement.

We need to form some legit post and motion offence to optimise the effectiveness of Billups range, Landry's off-ball game, Melo's passing ability, getting STAT to the stripe - to name what I consider most important.

If we establish leads, we need to put in our second unit for 3-4 minutes to attempt its maintenance.

Players that need to find niches for offensively are: Fields (in particular), Shawne W, Spud Ears (Shelden), AC. Nothing focal, but some plays to catch out defenders that are watching STAT & Melo, like the Lakers do with Shannon Brown.

●We need to establish a fast break. Good luck there.
●We need to create an interior drop pass for STAT in transition.
●We need to focus on STAT & Melo's 2 man game. This is either overtly neglected or just not polished/tweaked enough but has shown glimmers of brilliance.

And that's just offence.

I don't think I'll get in to defence until someone else brings it up.

Having highlighted those few factors, we still need to avoid Boston in the 1st round, IMO. Too experienced, big and ready for us. So we'll have to watch both their and Miami's progress.

Boston need to rest their injured and aged, and could be scouting out Philly, who lost Lou Williams, already. They'll poo finger the 6ers.

Stoudemire: "We want the 6th seed".

MDA stated that he's more likely to play his regulars so they can continue to develope cohesion on both ends of the floor.

Amare said on Monday that he doesn't want to sit until the seeding is settled & that he's willing to do "whatever it takes" to get into 6th place. "If we have to play extra minutes to get up in seed then so be it" said Stoudemire. "We want to put ourselves in the best position possible... after that point, after we clinch our position, I think we may rest a bit".

Billups thinks there's a "fine line" between getting rest & accuiring rust. "Right now we're still playing for something; we're trying to catch Philly," said Billups. "We're not really worried about rest or anything like that. We're worried about trying to move up."

Melo stated "it really doesn't matter, I just want to finish up strong. If it means to rest, then I'm cool with that. If it means to play, I'm cool with that. I want to win alot more of these games coming down the stretch."

JazRedGT

Benchwarmer
Now that we have clinched a playoff spot do we rest out stars in order to have them fresh or push hard in order to be on a roll come playoff time?

I say we do a bit of both. I think it is important to go into the playoffs with momentum therefore we should try our hardest to win every game possible. We have many new players that still have not fully acclimated to our system and roster therefore they must play as much as possible in order to be ready for an upset come playoff time. This should be accompanied with a relaxed practice schedule that encompasses more film sessions and less full contact scrimmages. I would even afford vets like Billups, Amare and Melo an opportunity to sit out some scrimmages and possibly a strategic game or two each.

It's a fine line D'ant must walk to be prepared for the playoffs while still resting our stars and making sure they have fresh legs.

What pick will we have if we make the playoffs but the Rockets dont and end with a better record then us??

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
interesting dilemma. i gotta lil problem with people on here talking about the whole rest vs rust issue. i agree stat is a bit fatigued but thats due to how hard we rode him in the 1st half (no h0m0).
but as far as being tired in the playoffs, cmon. the Kobes and the Cs were tired last year. Big ticket was tired, black mamba was tired, dwade was not tired in the first round loss to the celtics, neither was durant. point is you become tired when you get to the conf finals or finals, we're looking to compete and possibly get into the 2nd round and believe me fellas if we get into the 2nd round, adrenaline alone is gonna get our boys going in the 2nd round (at least the first few games) so fatigue shouldnt be a concern, cohesiveness and being comfortable playing with each other should be point of emphasis.
i think we continue to play the way we've been playing recently. the only thing i would do is tweak stat, melo and billiups' minutes just a big. so like if stat comes out the game at the 3 min mark of the 1st, i would pull him at like the 4:30 and so on!
Crazy⑧s;172379 said:
Tough call eh.

I vote for a good balance of rest and refinement.

We need to form some legit post and motion offence to optimise the effectiveness of Billups range, Landry's off-ball game, Melo's passing ability, getting STAT to the stripe - to name what I consider most important.

If we establish leads, we need to put in our second unit for 3-4 minutes to attempt its maintenance.

Players that need to find niches for offensively are: Fields (in particular), Shawne W, Spud Ears (Shelden), AC. Nothing focal, but some plays to catch out defenders that are watching STAT & Melo, like the Lakers do with Shannon Brown.

●We need to establish a fast break. Good luck there.
●We need to create an interior drop pass for STAT in transition.
●We need to focus on STAT & Melo's 2 man game. This is either overtly neglected or just not polished/tweaked enough but has shown glimmers of brilliance.

And that's just offence.

I don't think I'll get in to defence until someone else brings it up.

Having highlighted those few factors, we still need to avoid Boston in the 1st round, IMO. Too experienced, big and ready for us. So we'll have to watch both their and Miami's progress.

Boston need to rest their injured and aged, and could be scouting out Philly, who lost Lou Williams, already. They'll poo finger the 6ers.