If we could swap Amare for Dwight Howard should we do it?

smokes

Huge Member
I wouldn't. Stoudamire is far more talented than Howard. Howard is annoying to watch. He's useless outside the key and shoots around 11 free throws per game. Defensively I'm even better than Stoudamire, but i'd rather the Knicks sign a cheaper, yet proper Center, and let Stoudamire stay on to finish what he came here to do. I will repeat what I've said in the past: Howard is an average center playing in below average times.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to give Toronto a thrashing.

Ok I don't wanna bash you here but...

Stoudemire might be better offensively, a bit. But Howards defense is incomparably better.

Howard also has the baseline midrange jumper which he hit 3/3 on us just last week.

Now I can understand some people would rather get a cheaper C and fill holes, that's fine but to argue Dwight is an "average center" is crazy talk!

He is pretty much 50/50 with Rose in terms of who people think is the MVP, he lead a team with no other stars to the NBA finals and even his #2 Jameer Nelson was out injured for most of those playoffs.

The guy is nowhere near "average".

TakMan

Rotation player
Ok I don't wanna bash you here but...

Stoudemire might be better offensively, a bit. But Howards defense is incomparably better.

Howard also has the baseline midrange jumper which he hit 3/3 on us just last week.

Now I can understand some people would rather get a cheaper C and fill holes, that's fine but to argue Dwight is an "average center" is crazy talk!

He is pretty much 50/50 with Rose in terms of who people think is the MVP, he lead a team with no other stars to the NBA finals and even his #2 Jameer Nelson was out injured for most of those playoffs.

The guy is nowhere near "average".

I'd like to see him even make the playoffs with his team in the 90's. He's lucky that centers are a species near extinction. Of course he's better than Stoudamire defensively; Anthony Carter would be better marking a big. That doesn't detract the fact that Howard's strength is in the key and if you eliminate that with solid defence then he is useless. I can't remember any other games where he made most shots outside the key. I'm sticking to my opinion of him. I may be wrong, but he's not sold me.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
I wouldn't. Stoudamire is far more talented than Howard. Howard is annoying to watch. He's useless outside the key and shoots around 11 free throws per game. Defensively I'm even better than Stoudamire, but i'd rather the Knicks sign a cheaper, yet proper Center, and let Stoudamire stay on to finish what he came here to do. I will repeat what I've said in the past: Howard is an average center playing in below average times.

This is one of the more inane statements i've seen on the forum in the last couple of months. This and your comments in the game forum last week about Howard show a real deficit of understanding of what makes a player like him great.

You should read up on him a bit more, watch some more footage, maybe read a scouting report or two..

TakMan

Rotation player
This is one of the more inane statements i've seen on the forum in the last couple of months. This and your comments in the game forum last week about Howard show a real deficit of understanding of what makes a player like him great.

You should read up on him a bit more, watch some more footage, maybe read a scouting report or two..

I'd be lying if I said I've seen enough of him to make as educated a decision as I have on Stoudamire. Still he's one of those players that I have taken an instant dislike to. Every time I watch an Orlando game he seems to get all these soft foul calls go his way and heads for the free throw line every other play. Can't fault him too much defensively but he just annoys the shit out of me. Maybe partly because I think his abilities have been blown out of proportion.

Am I biased....Probably

Do I think he would be placed in the great centers category if this was the mid 90's? No ?$%&ing way.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
anybody that would not do this trade is either related to STAT or STAT himself.... but you will always find your occasional idiot...

there is no comparison

While I don't wanna call someone else an idiot for there opinion, I have to agree 100%....there is absolutly NO reason why you wouldn't do this trade if your the Knicks.

smokes

Huge Member
While I don't wanna call someone else an idiot for there opinion, I have to agree 100%....there is absolutly NO reason why you wouldn't do this trade if your the Knicks.

Well I can think of one reason...

mike_dantoni_knows_his_wife_is_hot.jpg

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
I'd be lying if I said I've seen enough of him to make as educated a decision as I have on Stoudamire. Still he's one of those players that I have taken an instant dislike to. Every time I watch an Orlando game he seems to get all these soft foul calls go his way and heads for the free throw line every other play. Can't fault him too much defensively but he just annoys the shit out of me. Maybe partly because I think his abilities have been blown out of proportion.

Am I biased....Probably

Do I think he would be placed in the great centers category if this was the mid 90's? No ?$%&ing way.

While I am not crazy about Howard either and don't think he has the skills to be compared to the Centers of the 90's, he is still the best C in the game today and its mainly due to his strength and size.

I am not crazy about the guy but there's no denying he is the top C in the game today and would be a no brainer to trade STAT for him, IMO ofcourse.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Dwight in this era, or the last previous 5 eras would still be dominant. The kid is still getting better offensively, he is as strong as 10 turiafs, and at 6'10 he has a 40 inch vert.

Howard still has a rediculous upside. This should be a no brainer. I dont see how anyone could question it. Amare is top 5 offensively at his position, but dwight is top 2 offensively and defensively at his position. Cmon

Dwight Howard would have been a monster against Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Smitz, DM, Shaq, Mourning... It doesn't matter which generation; the man is a BEAST. I've never seen a 7 footer jump like Howard. The man is as strong as a truck, he's the youngest player in NBA histroy to record 7-8,000 rebounds (that doesn't happen by fluke) & he's the best defensive Center I've seen since Alonzo Mourning. He puts opposing C's & PF's trying to double in quick foul trouble because he can't be moved down low... Players try their hearts out but can't stop fouling the man. Who cares if he doesn't shoot a jump shot? lol when have you seen Shaq shoot jumpers? Pretty much never. Dwight does have a better outside game than Shaq ever did though. This man can turn any defense into a top 10 defense by his damn self. He DOMINATES the boards on the glass. Even an All-Time great in Ewing said Dwight is a great "true" Center. I pray to god that D-Will leaves NJ or else Howard could end up in Brooklyn with Lopez @ PF... CHAMPIONSHI(s)

TakMan

Rotation player
While I am not crazy about Howard either and don't think he has the skills to be compared to the Centers of the 90's, he is still the best C in the game today and its mainly due to his strength and size.

I am not crazy about the guy but there's no denying he is the top C in the game today and would be a no brainer to trade STAT for him, IMO ofcourse.

He's def the best center around. I just don't think he has the brains or skill to become a brilliant player. My main issue with him is not Howard himself; it's all those that make him out to be some potential legend when we've seen BIG's like Patrick Ewing, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Abdul Jabbar, Arvidas Sabonis et al, grace the court. I'll take Stoudamire any day on my team instead of Howard, and avoid having to tolerate the hot air that's pumped into him on a daily basis.

NY17

Benchwarmer

I'm sorry but this is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Howard is on a completely different level than Amare.
I've never seen a 7 footer jump like Howard.

That's probably because he isn't 7 feet tall.

Like I said... We better pray D-Will refused to extend because if not? The talk of Howard going to LA (because of his "acting career") will not be possible. That team is in cap hell down the line.

If D-Will signs, Howard could be SURE to follow. Top 3 PG? #1 Center? Championshi(s). I'm pretty sure Howard would LOVE to start Brooklyn's NBA career. With Lopez @ PF? Twin Towers (Spurs) of the East + much stronger because Robinson was aging quickly once Duncan got there.

I've loved the NBA on a daily basis since 92 & was blessed to see GREAT Centers. I know an All-Time great Center when I see one & if Dwight stays healthy? He's the next great giant down low. Amare is more talented as an athlete & dominates on offense but Dwight dominates the ENTIRE GAME down low! Shaq wasn't athletic... But he CRUSHED the league with ORL & LA & even won a ring on his last legs in MIA.

If Brooklyn gets this man... We're introuble & so is the entire NBA.

NY17

Benchwarmer
Like I said... We better pray D-Will refused to extend because if not? The talk of Howard going to LA (because of his "acting career") will not be possible. That team is in cap hell down the line.

If D-Will signs, Howard could be SURE to follow. Top 3 PG? #1 Center? Championshi(s). I'm pretty sure Howard would LOVE to start Brooklyn's NBA career. With Lopez @ PF? Twin Towers (Spurs) of the East + much stronger because Robinson was aging quickly once Duncan got there.

I've loved the NBA on a daily basis since 92 & was blessed to see GREAT Centers. I know an All-Time great Center when I see one & if Dwight stays healthy? He's the next great giant down low. Amare is more talented as an athlete & dominates on offense but Dwight dominates the ENTIRE GAME down low! Shaq wasn't athletic... But he CRUSHED the league with ORL & LA & even won a ring on his last legs in MIA.

If Brooklyn gets this man... We're introuble & so is the entire NBA.

Howard's been a beast for years, I think anyone that has ever watched basketball can say that he is a great center...doesn't take much to make that proclamation. and LOL at calling Shaq not athletic....are you serious??? I honestly cannot believe, even coming from you, that someone called Shaq not athletic.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Howard's been a beast for years, I think anyone that has ever watched basketball can say that he is a great center...doesn't take much to make that proclamation. and LOL at calling Shaq not athletic....are you serious??? I honestly cannot believe, even coming from you, that someone called Shaq not athletic.

Yeah I agree, I dont know how someone could think SHAQ wasnt athletic when he was in the prime of his career, the man was a friggin BEAST like no other and could of done it on pure physical ability if he wanted too.

I have NEVER seen someone with his athletic ability at the size he played at, a pure BEAST with that ability is as rare as it gets.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
Shaq was definately athletic in his prime, he used his size and strength more then anything. Dwight on the other hand, has way better footwork, more athletic, better midrange game, and is still young.

Last edited:

NYallDay

Benchwarmer
first off, i wanna say wasup to all my NYK brethren out there.

swapping stat for d12 should be a no brainer. we have consistently shown (even during the david lee years) that this team can score and put up lotta points. the problem is on the other end of the court, stopping teams (case in point, last nite in philly).
lets say for argument sakes, we still want the 3star triumvirate. If we trade stat for d12, we can still go after cp3 or dwill. You're telling me that point guard plus melo isnt enough scoring power?

i respect stat for going all out since day 1, but this is a pure better for the franchise no brainer.
but hey thas way out in the future, we might not even have that option.:2cents:

moneyg

Starter

im confued... do you know anything about basketball??? i mean serious.. STAt is my boy....aight... but just like u can put an cheaper center next to amare and be good.. u can put a soft PF next to D12 and have a better front court..why am i wasting my time..sometimes i think people make statement just for attention...i agree with u....aight ....the discussion is would you swap....and that is as clear cut as a slut on the strip....

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
im confued... do you know anything about basketball??? i mean serious.. STAt is my boy....aight... but just like u can put an cheaper center next to amare and be good.. u can put a soft PF next to D12 and have a better front court..why am i wasting my time..sometimes i think people make statement just for attention...i agree with u....aight ....the discussion is would you swap....and that is as clear cut as a slut on the strip....
:agreed:.....................

STAT1

Starter

Shaq was plenty athletic. But if you watched him early in his career he didn't look much different physically than Dwight Howard does now. In terms of athleticism I'd say Dwight has it over Shaq even at his best. In terms of scoring in the post Shaq was 1 of the most dominant NBA C's even amongst some alltime greats he was simply unstoppable if he got the ball down low inside the paint. In terms of rebounding & defense Dwight Howard is slightly better than Shaq was at his peak IMHO. To say that Dwight Howard is just an average C playing amongst below average C's is a misleading statement if you ask me he could have easily held his own with guys like David Robinson, Shaq & Patrick Ewing in their primes.