Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: No joke: D'Antoni has Knicks thinking D

MDA admitting his faults should send smoke signal to most... he knows his career with the knicks is on the line or else he would of not come out and critiqued his PHX days as well as his early struggles with the knicks and including admitting that defense will win championships its very refreshing to hear but until i can tangibly see it they are just words to me

Im sure players such as billups and carmelo have emphasized defense in MDA's ear privately and notebly publicly...anyone that pays attention to most mello interviews notices thats he often critiques the coaches defensive schemes and has since gone out of his way to prove that he himself can play defense as opposed to what many commentators paint him out to be because that what he knew his team needed in the midst of a 6 game losing streak

Lord knows we need this guy to at least bring in somebody to sure up the defense/ bring in more players and next year we will be contenders

As of this year the 2011 playoffs will be a measuring stick for MDA; he can definitely feel the pressure and the heat coming in his direction. If he brings this defensive strategy that he speaks of into the playoff and wins a game or two he is safe but if we are safe don't expect him to be back especially with reports of the knicks wanting to "throw" money at Phil Jackson

Lastly why does it always takes a fight or flight mentality for someone to start changing their ways?? I wish the knicks had this same consistency maybe MDA will convince me come playoff time but im a believer in actions so we shall see.....

Superstar

Originally Posted by JeffVanGundyPLEASE!
    MDA admitting his faults should send smoke signal to most... he knows his career with the knicks is on the line or else he would of not come out and critiqued his PHX days as well as his early struggles with the knicks and including admitting that defense will win championships its very refreshing to hear but until i can tangibly see it they are just words to me

Im sure players such as billups and carmelo have emphasized defense in MDA's ear privately and notebly publicly...anyone that pays attention to most mello interviews notices thats he often critiques the coaches defensive schemes and has since gone out of his way to prove that he himself can play defense as opposed to what many commentators paint him out to be because that what he knew his team needed in the midst of a 6 game losing streak

Lord knows we need this guy to at least bring in somebody to sure up the defense/ bring in more players and next year we will be contenders

As of this year the 2011 playoffs will be a measuring stick for MDA; he can definitely feel the pressure and the heat coming in his direction. If he brings this defensive strategy that he speaks of into the playoff and wins a game or two he is safe but if we are safe don't expect him to be back especially with reports of the knicks wanting to "throw" money at Phil Jackson

Lastly why does it always takes a fight or flight mentality for someone to start changing their ways?? I wish the knicks had this same consistency maybe MDA will convince me come playoff time but im a believer in actions so we shall see.....

+1. We almost blew that game to the Sixers last night because our defense faltered... again...

Maybe we need more time, but MDA is not the guy to make us a consistently great defensive team... and we need to better than just good. We need to be GREAT.

Top 10. Preferably top 7. We won't win a ring without it. MDA's whole career, including this season have shown he is not that guy. We need a half court offensive coach with a defensive mindset.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

first step in fixing your problem, is recognizing and admitting you have a problem. thats exactly what he's preaching; long as we hone in on it like he said it WILL get better and we'll win games because of it

Superstar

Originally Posted by MusketeerX
    +1. We almost blew that game to the Sixers last night because our defense faltered... again...

Maybe we need more time, but MDA is not the guy to make us a consistently great defensive team... and we need to better than just good. We need to be GREAT.

Top 10. Preferably top 7. We won't win a ring without it. MDA's whole career, including this season have shown he is not that guy. We need a half court offensive coach with a defensive mindset.
    I'd say the Philly near saga was more to do with the collapse of our offence rather than a defensive issue. I'm not saying that the 27 points the Knicks conceded during the 4th were a show of good defence, I'm just saying they shouldn't be enough to bring a team back into the game when they are down 13 points in the 3rd. All the Knicks needed to do was continue to score their average 25+ points per quarter and no one would have mentioned the defence all game. Unfortunately what was most concerning about Wednesday was the team's inability to emulate their very decent all round display, after Billups was removed from the game. I'm hoping it was just a mental block rather than a lack of organisational quality, which would indicate the team's dependence on only one player to run the plays.

Veteran

Nyk Logo

Originally Posted by KnicksFanFromQueens1985
    Exactly Smokes. lmfao @ people saying Mike D'Antoni 'just started talking defense after the Melo addition" those are the same exact fans who are clueless about the coach & talk out of their ass to "try" & make false points. It's laughable.

Your 100% correct Smokes & like I've been saying; MDA has been stressing & talking the importance of defense before the season even started. You can't coach a top defense without the players who can make it work. Now that we have some defensive players such as Fields, TD23, Carter, Billups (not what he once was), Carter & Carmelo Anthony (Top 5 defensive SF when focused) you're starting to see better play from the defense. Still a long ways to go inorder to crack the top 10-15 though. Productive Center, rebounding ability & an offseason of hard practice & gelling time.

I'm done with this thread. Even when MDA starts to focus on defense, coach killers refuse to give credit, and instead? Make false remarks saying "he never talked D before Melo". He wants to win & improve.
    even if he starting talkin defense at the begining of the year.. he is still a rookie at it... and not nowhere he needs to be from a strategy standpoint...

just cause u preach.. doesnt mean u can teach...or your good at what your preaching.. epecially if you been doing it for only 6 months