Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Where Art Thou Amar'eo?

  1. #16
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Amar'e is not a great closer. He is capable but Melo is so good at it. Melo is built more for crunch time than STAT.

    He needs a post game. And patience in the post. It would cut down his turnovers so much. He should put the Sky hook into his game. He would be unstoppable.

  2. #17
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I don't get this thread at all. The OP is a well put together thread asking why we don't utilize Amare effectively especially in late game situations (effectively by running the occasional play for him).

    Then the replies are talking about, bashing Amare, Amare being injured, and not having a pass first PG...

    Ok so. This thread was no way bashing Amare. If anything it's bashing our coach for not having a go-to play to get us a good look at the basket in the paint area. But Crazy didn't go so far as to explicitly bash the coach.

    Amare may have rolled his ankle but you can see this trend in several of the big games recently, most notably the Orlando game where he basically did not touch the ball in OT.

    And about a pass first PG, when BILLUPS was in the game both Billups and TD were running some good plays with Amare, when BILLUPS left the game our offense fell apart. Trillion I know you didn't mention Billups by name but I assume when you say you "hate to beat a dead horse" that he is what you're alluding to. If you can't see that Billups was one of the main reasons our team was up 16 last night and that him leaving the game was the main cause of our decline then I think your bias against Billups is clouding your viewpoint.

  3. #18
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    I don't get this thread at all. The OP is a well put together thread asking why we don't utilize Amare effectively especially in late game situations (effectively by running the occasional play for him).

    Then the replies are talking about, bashing Amare, Amare being injured, and not having a pass first PG...

    Ok so. This thread was no way bashing Amare. If anything it's bashing our coach for not having a go-to play to get us a good look at the basket in the paint area. But Crazy didn't go so far as to explicitly bash the coach.

    Amare may have rolled his ankle but you can see this trend in several of the big games recently, most notably the Orlando game where he basically did not touch the ball in OT.

    And about a pass first PG, when BILLUPS was in the game both Billups and TD were running some good plays with Amare, when BILLUPS left the game our offense fell apart. Trillion I know you didn't mention Billups by name but I assume when you say you "hate to beat a dead horse" that he is what you're alluding to. If you can't see that Billups was one of the main reasons our team was up 16 last night and that him leaving the game was the main cause of our decline then I think your bias against Billups is clouding your viewpoint.

    Main reason? He had ZERO assists, 3 points, 1 turnover and Holiday was abusing him...

    P.S. It's obvious you take exception to my assertion about Billups so tell us how not having a playmaker who can get Amare the ball doesn't play a part in Amare's production especially late in the game.

  4. #19
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Main reason? He had ZERO assists, 3 points, 1 turnover and Holiday was abusing him...

    P.S. It's obvious you take exception to my assertion about Billups so tell us how not having a playmaker who can get Amare the ball doesn't play a part in Amare's production especially late in the game.
    Did you watch the game though?

    He also had 5 rebounds, +9 efficiency (highest on the team) and Holiday was in no way abusing Billups he might have got past him once all game that I saw...

    I'm not saying the lack of PG didn't hurt Amare, of course it did. I'm saying our lack of a PG to get Amare the ball was due to Billups getting hurt, and TD not playing with any kind of confidence in the 4th quarter last night.

  5. #20
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Video

    Originally Posted by Blumatic
    Amar'e is not a great closer. He is capable but Melo is so good at it. Melo is built more for crunch time than STAT.

    He needs a post game. And patience in the post. It would cut down his turnovers so much. He should put the Sky hook into his game. He would be unstoppable.
    I agree with this whole heartedly. Amare is an ok closer yes. His 4th quarter stats are obviously skewed this season being that he was the only go to scorer on this team for over 50 games, and definitely the only one with any clutch ability.

    Still, I'd rather Amare was getting a look close to the basket than Billups spotting up for 3 (purely because it's a much higher % bucket). Though right now I honestly wouldn't know, Amare has blown quite a few easy layups and dunks in the last few games down the stretch I think his swag has been used and abused too much this year. Hopefully he gets it back for the playoffs.

    And put Amare in a room with Hakeem the Dream this offseason and let him learn a post move or two, that thread got my balls tingling (no homo).

  6. #21
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Did you watch the game though?

    He also had 5 rebounds, +9 efficiency (highest on the team) and Holiday was in no way abusing Billups he might have got past him once all game that I saw...
    Yes I watched the game. I was waiting for someone to bring up his +9 efficiency. The reason for that is he got injured before the Sixers went on their run and came back. Further Holiday got passed Billups several times but really thats ancillary considering Holiday gets by most defenders. That said he certainly was not the biggest reason for our intial lead regardless of his +/-.

    I'm not saying the lack of PG didn't hurt Amare, of course it did. I'm saying our lack of a PG to get Amare the ball was due to Billups getting hurt, and TD not playing with any kind of confidence in the 4th quarter last night.
    Right so you agree that Amare needs a PG to get him the ball to be effective especially in crunch time. Now one must look at Billups stats to see if he has a history that would make you feel he is that PG. I see 5+ assists with 2+ turnovers a game and a shoot first "Mr. Bigshot" PG, not a PG interested in getting Amare shots. That is not to say he won't pass to Amare or put up big assists on occasion.

  7. #22
    Huge Member smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,227
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Yes I watched the game. I was waiting for someone to bring up his +9 efficiency. The reason for that is he got injured before the Sixers went on their run and came back. Further Holiday got passed Billups several times but really thats ancillary considering Holiday gets by most defenders. That said he certainly was not the biggest reason for our intial lead regardless of his +/-.
    Yes it was before they went on their run Melo was also not in the game for most of that run yet he was our leading scorer and still has less efficiency.

    I didn't say he was the biggest reason I said "one of the main reasons" in fact it was Billups running the offense combined with Melo's 3rd quarter bombing of 3 pointers that led to our largest lead.

    Right so you agree that Amare needs a PG to get him the ball to be effective especially in crunch time. Now one must look at Billups stats to see if he has a history that would make you feel he is that PG. I see 5+ assists with 2+ turnovers a game and a shoot first "Mr. Bigshot" PG, not a PG interested in getting Amare shots. That is not to say he won't pass to Amare or put up big assists on occasion.
    This is why I wonder if you watched last nights game or any of the 5 game win-streak games where Billups has been balling. Why "must" one look at Billups stats rather than look at how he is playing now with the chemistry and familiarity builing on this Knicks team?

    You do know that Billups style of playing PG is not a scoring style nor a pass first style. He is an all-around PG who is adept in both scoring, passing and many other things.

    The 5 assists 2 turnovers stat being thrown around will never mean anything to me. Billups has always averaged 2-2.5 turnovers per game (as does every PG who handles the ball that much) even when his assists were up at 8+ per game for the season, his turnovers were still at 2.

    The whole assist:turnover ratio statistic does not tell a great deal since Billups does not look for "assists" he looks for good passes. Be that a pass-to-assist, a pass into an ISO, whatever. A much better stat would be time spent handling the ball vs turnovers which I can tell you would be consistent with most other top quality PG's in this league.

    Also Trill, I can't believe we turned this into another Billups thread

  8. #23
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Question Mark

    Originally Posted by smokes
    I don't get this thread at all. The OP is a well put together thread asking why we don't utilize Amare effectively especially in late game situations (effectively by running the occasional play for him).

    Then the replies are talking about, bashing Amare, Amare being injured, and not having a pass first PG...

    Ok so. This thread was no way bashing Amare.
    Heyzoos! Thanks for being the only person who opened the thread, read it, took consideration and commented on it's content.

    I really shouldn't have bothered.

    -He needs a PG to score?
    -He was injured?
    -I bashed him?

    Can everyone read it again please?

  9. #24
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    To me it looked like a combination of things:
    -He's tired. and/or possibly hurt
    -Defenders are clogging the lanes because of Melo. Ironically this opens up lanes for shooters (TD and of course its gave Melo the recent surge of 3s)
    -Billups is slow/hurt and can't attack the basket. In fact, have we even seen a Pick'n'Roll in crunch time lately?
    -Melo's getting it done right? I'd be happy for Stat to focus on D in crunch time.

  10. #25
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by smokes
    Yes it was before they went on their run Melo was also not in the game for most of that run yet he was our leading scorer and still has less efficiency.

    I didn't say he was the biggest reason I said "one of the main reasons" in fact it was Billups running the offense combined with Melo's 3rd quarter bombing of 3 pointers that led to our largest lead.
    He was not even "one of the main reasons" he contributed almost nothing other than bringing the ball up passed half court. If just being in the game and not making mistakes while not contributing actual stats makes you "one of the main reasons" for a teams success I need to go and play in the NBA.

    This is why I wonder if you watched last nights game or any of the 5 game win-streak games where Billups has been balling. Why "must" one look at Billups stats rather than look at how he is playing now with the chemistry and familiarity builing on this Knicks team?
    I am always puzzled by this line of thinking since stats measure the impact a player has on the game. Sure there are intangibles such as blocking out, leadership or deflecting shots that can make an impact but Billups wasn't really doing that and it certainly did not stand out. A PG lives and dies by his stats since his main job are stat related contributions such as assists, steals and points.

    You do know that Billups style of playing PG is not a scoring style nor a pass first style. He is an all-around PG who is adept in both scoring, passing and many other things.
    Of course I know this and is the reason I have concluded that he is not the right fit for our roster. One of our franchise players requires the ball fed to him while in motion in order to maximize his play. There is a place for Billups and that type of PG but not on every team. Yes, he has pedigree and yes he brings leadership but that can be done on the bench as a coach. What this team needs is someone who defends consistently and who can get Amare and Melo the ball in a fluid offensive scheme. There is no reason with all the firepower this team has that our offense ever sputters yet we often go long stretches struggling to score. This phenomenon will be magnified in the playoffs IMHO. Some questions:

    Do you think the reason Fileds has struggled recently has anything to do with the production coming from our PG's?

    Do you think we are best suited having our PG taking crunch time jumpers over our stars?

    The 5 assists 2 turnovers stat being thrown around will never mean anything to me. Billups has always averaged 2-2.5 turnovers per game (as does every PG who handles the ball that much) even when his assists were up at 8+ per game for the season, his turnovers were still at 2.
    No one doubts Billups had a few elite years in his prime. The fact that he is averaging the same amount of turnovers with 5 assists as he did when he almost had 9 assists should be a HUGE red flag that Billups is a mere shadow of his former self. Simply put, 5 assists is pathetic especially when you consider that all year he has played on the 1st and 2nd highest scoring teams.

    The whole assist:turnover ratio statistic does not tell a great deal since Billups does not look for "assists" he looks for good passes. Be that a pass-to-assist, a pass into an ISO, whatever. A much better stat would be time spent handling the ball vs turnovers which I can tell you would be consistent with most other top quality PG's in this league.
    This would be true if we did not have Amare but as I stated before in order to maximize Amare he must get the ball in motion to finish. Amare is probably only second to Lebron in his ability to finish and it would be a crime not to try and exploit that gift. We played our best ball this year when Amare and Felton were grooving together.

    Also Trill, I can't believe we turned this into another Billups thread
    My bad.

  11. #26
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    653
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I gotta give him credit.....He is looking for Melo and he is finding him. STAT is looking for his teammates more than Melo is.

    STAT is built like Kevin Garnett, he really needs to add KG's game to his repertoire.

    Other than that, I am very impressed with STAT letting Melo do his thing. STAT has a big ego but he is a great teammate. He is still the heart and soul of the organization (aside from Donnie Walsh). He is quick to put Melo in his place as well.

  12. #27
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by platnumn
    He was HURT! If he didn't turn his ankle, sure I feel you. But they're saying he's even questionable for tomorrow's game against NJ, so it must have been enough to keep him in check during those last 6 min.

    People on here are worse than the media, I swear if some of you wrote for the papers, we would be DOOMED. That's what online forums are for though!! =)
    Why do I bother asking direct questions about people's opinions?

  13. #28
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N



    This would be true if we did not have Amare but as I stated before in order to maximize Amare he must get the ball in motion to finish. Amare is probably only second to Lebron in his ability to finish and it would be a crime not to try and exploit that gift. We played our best ball this year when Amare and Felton were grooving together.
    Hooray for boobies!

    So can we draw up a play now? How about a play for STAT & Melo?

    Why am I the only person waving this banner?

    in order to maximize Amare he must get the ball in motion to finish.
    That's preposterous.

  14. #29
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    That's preposterous.
    How so kimosabe?

  15. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,845
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Almost missed this gem of an op when logging into QueensOnline..

    Few general things:

    *Amare with a sky hook...****, that sounds incredible, and can you just imagine him using that. Beautiful to consider.

    *Amare being best in motion, as a dynamic/dominant inside finisher. Completely agree, thats where he is best: evidenced by that making him, truly, the most dominant and efficient inside scorer in the NBA. When that is the focal point.

    That aside...I'm still not sure why he can't get some plays run for him before he gets a sky hook, has chemistry and an able pg to feed him like he likes, etc.

    He does seem to be passing a lot more, but that still doesn't truly reflect actual plays run for him to score.

    My guess at the answer...

    MDA's offensive pedigree and wheelhouse is based off motion, ball movement, and crisp dynamic offensive plays drawn off that. I.e. How Amare has been fed and eaten his NBA life under MDA, and half of this season.

    Melo, and especially Billups, have forced things to adjust. Née starting big time players. Enough said.

    Slow down, more iso's, less ball movement. Aka the antithesis of what has facilitated Amare's bread n butter.

    Now, you may ask, well, WTF, give him more post-up/iso plays.

    1) Amare isn't most readily able to play like that
    2) MDA isn't most readily able to further re-construct, define, and slow the entire offensive machine and game flow
    3) MDA is hoping to make Amare more efficient, and have him simply put take a backseat for now to Melo (and Billups), till further notice. Pass more, utilize his mid range more, score efficiently with relatively low volume.

    Why Amare simply can't continue what he was doing prior, and through his career...even accepting more limited volume of opportunities and shots...is, Id conclude, more evidence that the new roster upheaval is still finding it's way as a cohesive unit (understandable), and that Billups isn't a good PG for Amare. MDA didn't suddenly fall out of love w his favorite offensive player, and the players favorite way of scoring which MDA himself developed.

    If that reflects MDA, re: the cohesion, changing Billups or changing Amare....it does. But those aren't puzzles you'd normally expect a coach n team to resolve in a few weeks, especially mid season and during the heat of a playoff battle. Surely, tho, they must be resolved, one way or another.

    Whether that means Billups isn't a good PG for us....idk, there are other factors -- good n bad -- that'd have to be evaluated.
    Last edited by iSaYughh; Apr 10, 2011 at 13:11.

Similar Threads

  1. Christianity in 30 Seconds
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 425
    Last Post: Sep 19, 2008, 17:15
  2. Debunking Creationism with Genesis Book
    By KnicksFan4Realz in forum Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jul 27, 2008, 18:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •