Old School Lighting Or The Current Lighting?

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
The Garden used to be bright all around the arena. Now the lightning has a cozy feeling around the arena. Don't know when it started. I don't think it just looks that way because of the court. In the '99 Finals the lighting looks like it does now.

When did it change? I prefer the lighting now, but wouldn't mind the full arena being lighted up for the Playoffs and/or Finals.

la2ny

Starter
I have no idea, but I always loved the all around lighting. I hate it being like im in an opera. The Lakers started lights out at Staples back in 07 and I hated it because it takes the crowd out of the game and thats whats different about basketball than any other sport, how the rowd can affect play on the court.

Give me lights!!!!

nuckles2k2

Superstar
Nahhhhh I prefer the current lighting. It highlights the court better and it's gotta be a little hectic for the opposing team to hear 19 thousand+ people yelling at them from the dark.

To be honest, I never even thought about it until now and I've only missed about 4 home games this year. I think it seems darker on tv and it probably looks slightly darker from on the court since the majority of the lights are directly above them, but from the stands it's still relatively well lit, I don't think it takes the fans outta the game all that much.

platnumn

Benchwarmer
Nahhhhh I prefer the current lighting. It highlights the court better and it's gotta be a little hectic for the opposing team to hear 19 thousand+ people yelling at them from the dark.

To be honest, I never even thought about it until now and I've only missed about 4 home games this year. I think it seems darker on tv and it probably looks slightly darker from on the court since the majority of the lights are directly above them, but from the stands it's still relatively well lit, I don't think it takes the fans outta the game all that much.

Agreed. It never seems dark when you're actually IN the garden. I've been courtside and in the 400s, and while it's brighter courtside, you can still see everything up above easily.

I feel like it's darker at Staples, but never been there in person.

Before the Lakers started doing this at the Staples Center they had the 'dark' stands thing going on in the Western Forum as well.

I prefer having the dark stands. It does add a cozy, more tight-knit feel to it.