Calipari to Knicks Rumors Start To Fly

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Kentucky coach may be on Knicks' radar

peter_vecsey.png
Peter Vecsey

James Dolan's reluctance to pick up Knicks president Donnie Walsh's $5 million option for next season the moment the team qualified for the playoffs says it all about where this shadowy situation is headed.
Instead of earning as little as that requisite reward from his boss (though a multi-year extension offer certainly wouldn't have been unreasonable), the person most responsible for reviving the franchise's relevance got the silent treatment and the cold shoulder, at least for public consumption.
I'm sure (well, maybe) Dolan thanked Walsh for reversing the depressing talk of the town within three years of becoming Knicks president. But not doing something definitive cheapened the accomplishment.
08.1s076.vecsey2--300x300.jpg
AP
BOUND FOR GARDEN? Current Kentucky coach (and former Nets head man) John Calipari may be a target of Knicks owner James Dolan to replace Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni.

Instead of showering Walsh with love, Dolan has doused him with disrespect . . . regardless of how things turn out in the end. Should the Knicks make a second-round indentation or beyond it'd be next to impossible, even for someone as arrogant and obdurate as Dolan, not to allow Walsh to finish what he started three seasons ago.
Yet, at this point in time, the smart money is betting parting gifts already have been picked out that will compensate Walsh suitably for having his authority usurped on a regular basis, enduring the indignity of almost being force-fed Isiah Thomas as general manager, and theoretically keeping his lips sealed for x-amount of years.
It's time to go to your pocket or purse and start fingering your rosary beads to help Walsh pray a valuable package is looming. Because, really, if not for the millions, who needs to have Thomas lurking in every Garden cubbyhole, nook and cranny?
Then again, when the obvious becomes obvious to one and all, it's often wise to go the other way to see if there's someone significantly obscure (or not) hiding in the suns' glare.
Thomas might want to down a Lunesta before reading further. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, too.
According to a team executive, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two regarding goings-on behind the screens, Dolan may have eyes for John Calipari . . . to run the front office and coach.
Do I have confirmation on this? No. I unsuccessfully reached out to Calipari and left a message.
Does it make sense? Yes, especially in view of Dolan's disinclination to do right by Walsh.
We're talking about a marquee college coach fresh from another Final Four, who owns pro experience (some of it good with the Nets), is an outstanding recruiter (though the NBA's salary cap may limit that impact), and relates remarkably well with young black players.

What's more, Calipari is represented by William (World Wide) Wesley, who works for Creative Artists Agency, Hollywood's most powerful entertainment agency. One of its many patrons is Chris Paul, who figures to be on the market within a matter of months. Wesley also reps Mark Warkentien, current part-time Knicks scout and former Nuggets' vice president; it's felt he'd caddy for Cal in the office.
Last year at this time, fictitious reports surfaced that Wesley was shopping Calipari and LeBron James, another CAA client, as a package to the Bulls. Reporters assume Wesley has the juice to pull something like that off. He doesn't and he didn't.

While on the subject of prospective goings and comings, the coaching carousel is in danger of developing some airliner type cracks from overuse over the next 16 weeks.
Fifteen almost assuredly will be back with their current teams -- Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Nate McMillan, Tom Thibodeau, Scott Skiles, Lionel Hollins, Avery Johnson, Scott Brooks, Paul Silas, Monty Williams, Bryon Scott, Alvin Gentry, Vinny Del Negro and Ty Corbin.
The remaining half have given notice (Phil Jackson), are on unspoken notice should their teams fail to meet expectations, or are in jeopardy to be served evictions notices.
Virtually guaranteed to go are the Pistons' John Kuester, the Timberwolves' Kurt Rambis, the Hawks' Larry Drew (unless his team pulls a first-round upset, and even then I see it heppening), the Pacers' Frank Vogel (same-same), the Warriors' Keith Smart, the Wizards' Flip Saunders and the Raptors' Jay Triano, particularly if Bryan Colangelo doesn't get a new deal -- and maybe even if he does despite adhering to an agreed-upon plan by those in charge to play almost exclusively young.
Paul Westphal, not that he deserves to be fired, might have saved his Kings job by winning some games the last couple of weeks. The fact is, he ought to get a raise for having to put up every day with DeMarcus Cousins' antics, said to be much worse than advertised.
We've already mentioned D'Antoni's uncertain circumstances. Rick Adelman, in spite of a superlative showing minus Yao Ming, is giving no indication he wants back with the Rockets. Your guess is as good as mine regarding what happens to Erik Spoelstra (Heat), Stan Van Gundy (Magic), and Rick Carlisle (Mavericks) should their respective teams distribute playoff shares in April, early May or even later in the month.
In that same vein, should the Celtics, showing my age, check into assisted living rather than The Finals, it's a given Doc Rivers will take next season off.
Who are the most eligible replacements? Mark Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Brown, Mike Dunleavy, Brian Shaw, Sam Mitchell, Darrell Walker, Mike Woodson, Dwane Casey, Adrian Dantley, Mike Budenholzer, Steve Clifford, Dan Majerle, Patrick Ewing, Chuck Person, Chris Jent, Dean Demopoulos, Alex English, Sam Cassell and Mario Elie. And, of, course, a few fired coaches will be recycled.

That article was a bunch of crap lol. He talks how Dolan is showing "no respect to Walsh" but fails to mention one time... That Walsh is seriously going down the drain due to health related issues. What a joke of a read. Anything to sell meal tickets.

"Dolan may have eyes for Calipari"

&

"Do I have confirmation of this? No."

Thats all that needs to be said about that POS article. Close the thread; it's just another reporter spreading false rumors that hold no weight.

And yes; Mike D'Antoni does deserve his first offseason to improve his first playoff team & roster into a serious playoff/championship contending team this summer. No one deserves to coach the Knicks next year more than Mike; especially considering the fact the he came here knowing we had no chance to win for 2-3 years because of rebuilding mode. Next year is MDA's contract year & it wouldn't shock me if we win 60 games under MDA next year with a much improved roster.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Lilo and PHilton not Calipari

Dolan is such a nut that I could see him going Charlie Sheen on us and going with Lindsey Lohan as GM and Paris Hilton as coach rather than Walsh, D'Antoni, Calipari, or any other NBA insider.

The "Dolan Love Goddesses" would be presumably be brought in for recruitment potential and team health services acumen.

They would also add TIGER BLOOD to the Knicks player's dietary regimen.

smokes

Huge Member
Dolan is such a nut that I could see him going Charlie Sheen on us and going with Lindsey Lohan as GM and Paris Hilton as coach rather than Walsh, D'Antoni, Calipari, or any other NBA insider.

The "Dolan Love Goddesses" would be presumably be brought in for recruitment potential and team health services acumen.

They would also add TIGER BLOOD to the Knicks player's dietary regimen.

Hahahahahaaha

tumblr_lhjrbn8fbv1qcyj22o1_400.png

Wargames

Starter
I call b.s. as well this whole article stinks of the kind of logic people use to make up u.f.o. conspiracies. And until I hear something official I am assuming that this coach k talk is at best a negotiation ploy to try to low ball Don and at worst a complete lie.

tiger0330

Legend
Vecsey is full of crap, I can't remember anything he's predicted ever coming true. Woj at Yahoo is the man if he writes it, it's money.

rogeryy

Benchwarmer
Although I went to University of Kentucky, I still think Calipari isn't right for the Knicks. Why? He's a college coach, & ..... (see below)

Of course the Kentucky Wildcats is a damn good team. But I still think it takes a bit of luck to win one NCAA title. I mean, seriously, if one game decides advancement/elimination, then think how many NBA championship history would have been rewritten?