Some say TD23 doesn't have what it takes or the potential to become a starting PG...

MSGhobo247

Rotation player
Down the line he can be a starter but not by 2012. I just don't see him turn players down like what Rondo has to deal with. Rondo is playing with multiple stars and will turn down one of them who can be screaming for the ball if he sees a better play elsewhere. TD just gives the ball up to Stat and Melo whenever they call for it... That's not a floor general.

Rondo is also a horrible shooter who would be nothing without KG, Pierce, Allen & a deep supporting cast of role players. It's kind of hard to say "TD just gives the ball up" when the man has put up 11 games with 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 18, 18, 20, 24, 28 & 29 points during our last 20 games. Also had 3 games with 10-11 points during that span.

He's an excellent scorer & has been so since his FSU days. Playing with Amare, Melo + a real Center will make Douglas become more deadly than what he's already shown to be.

The fact that he understands that both Melo & Amare are the Alpha-Dawg's of our offensive attack make for a strong sign. If he were ignoring or even refusing to give the rock up when both Melo & Amare call for the ball; then you know we have a problem.

He's not a real floor general as of right now, but then again, he's only a 2nd year player & pretty much a 1st year player on a consistant basis. Plenty of room to improve with his ability to control the pace & flow of the game. He's learning.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Rondo is also a horrible shooter who would be nothing without KG, Pierce, Allen & a deep supporting cast of role players. It's kind of hard to say "TD just gives the ball up" when the man has put up 11 games with 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 18, 18, 20, 24, 28 & 29 points during our last 20 games. Also had 3 games with 10-11 points during that span.

He's an excellent scorer & has been so since his FSU days. Playing with Amare, Melo + a real Center will make Douglas become more deadly than what he's already shown to be.

The fact that he understands that both Melo & Amare are the Alpha-Dawg's of our offensive attack make for a strong sign. If he were ignoring or even refusing to give the rock up when both Melo & Amare call for the ball; then you know we have a problem.

He's not a real floor general as of right now, but then again, he's only a 2nd year player & pretty much a 1st year player on a consistant basis. Plenty of room to improve with his ability to control the pace & flow of the game. He's learning.

Did you seriously just compare Rondo to TD? What next? Turiaf and Howard?

Rondo might be a horrible shooter, he's also a pure passing PG of the highest calibre. TD's game isn't passing, it's D (admirable) and shooting. He's an undersized SG and he's gonna have to work very hard on his game if he ever wants to be the man you are suggesting. Don't get me wrong I wanted him here big time and I'm happy he is here but the leap for him to be starting PG is so huge it's not even funny.

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Did you seriously just compare Rondo to TD? What next? Turiaf and Howard?

Rondo might be a horrible shooter, he's also a pure passing PG of the highest calibre. TD's game isn't passing, it's D (admirable) and shooting. He's an undersized SG and he's gonna have to work very hard on his game if he ever wants to be the man you are suggesting. Don't get me wrong I wanted him here big time and I'm happy he is here but the leap for him to be starting PG is so huge it's not even funny.

I don't at all agree with the comparison but to be fair Rondo didn't start out as an elite passer.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I don't at all agree with the comparison but to be fair Rondo didn't start out as an elite passer.

He started off with someone who could be a floor general, something we've never seen from TD. I love the kid, he's got potential but I don't ever see him being that kind of player.

Funny how some people have to twist words & believe their own lies just to attemp to make a point.

I never once "compared" TD to "Rondo". Must have the IQ level of a 4th grader if you failed to read between obvious lines.

I used an example of two PG's who are both surrounded by elite stars. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if you lack & lacked the IQ to read between the lines & failed to see the difference.

I made it known the TD23 is blessed to have two of the NBA's top 5 scores & two of the top 10 NBA talents.

I made it known that Rondo would be no where near the the "type of PG" that he is today (and has been) without 3 future HOF players. Having C's such as Perkins & Shaq fill lanes & open up Rondo's options has also been a huge advantage.

It's not hard to show "passing ability" & wrack up assist's in bunches when you have A) The greatest NBA 3 point shooter in Allen since Reggie freakin Miller. B) a future HOF player & top 5 offensive PF in KG & a franchise scorer in Pierce.

C- Mozgov (rookie)
PF- Amare
SF- Gallo
SG- Fields (Rookie)
PG- Rondo

He could have fell flat on his face with that starting 5. No future HOF & Franchise player in Pierce. He's have a rookie SG. Wouldn't have a future HOF SF & top 5 3 point shooter in Allen. He'd be left with a hot & cold Gallo @ SF. He would have been stuck with the largest 5 hole in Mozgov & Turiaf (PF) @ the Center position instead of a true Center in Perkins & Shaq. All facts.

He's one of the worst shooting PG's in the NBA & a horrid free throw shooter. His assis't per game would have went down in major ways with that starting unit.

He wouldn't have been much better than Raymond Felton; if even better @ all. He's been blessed in BOSTON because of BOSTON's talents. What's the record of Boston without Perkins? Exactly. Below .500 right? Overrated is what Rondo has been made out to be.

NY17

Benchwarmer
He wouldn't have been much better than Raymond Felton; if even better @ all. He's been blessed in BOSTON because of BOSTON's talents. What's the record of Boston without Perkins? Exactly. Below .500 right? Overrated is what Rondo has been made out to be.

Are you honestly saying that the only difference between Rondo and Felton are their supporting casts? Wow.....you know less than I thought. (..and I thought you couldn't go farther than saying "Shaq wasn't athletic)
Typing too fast & meant to say Pierce @ SF & Allen @ 2G lol not the "other way" around.

Do you know how to edit, or are you "lacking & lack the IQ" to do that?

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Funny how some people have to twist words & believe their own lies just to attemp to make a point.

Not something I do, something you claim everyone does who doesn't agree with you.

I never once "compared" TD to "Rondo". Must have the IQ level of a 4th grader if you failed to read between obvious lines.

Are you sure about that? "Rondo is also a horrible shooter who would be nothing without KG, Pierce, Allen & a deep supporting cast of role players."

With my 4th grade I.Q I took "also" to be a bridge to the two in making a comparison.

I used an example of two PG's who are both surrounded by elite stars. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry if you lack & lacked the IQ to read between the lines & failed to see the difference.

So you compared two PG's but you didn't make a comparison. I see the error I made now by stupidly assuming the rules of the English language applied to the comprehension of your posts. Sorry.

I made it known the TD23 is blessed to have two of the NBA's top 5 scores & two of the top 10 NBA talents.

I made it known that Rondo would be no where near the the "type of PG" that he is today (and has been) without 3 future HOF players. Having C's such as Perkins & Shaq fill lanes & open up Rondo's options has also been a huge advantage.

So by comparing their situations and using their names you weren't comparing them. It's all clear to me now. Just one thing though, how do you give someone an advantage over someone without you know comparing them?

It's not hard to show "passing ability" & wrack up assist's in bunches when you have A) The greatest NBA 3 point shooter in Allen since Reggie freakin Miller. B) a future HOF player & top 5 offensive PF in KG & a franchise scorer in Pierce.

Nice save at the end by continuing to compare their situations but not them in a way that only you know how.

I'm much smarter than you, but I won't make that comparison.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I despise Rondo as much as the next guy (I hate anything Boston) but I give credit where credit is due, the dude has tremendous court vision. Court vision is not like shooting 1500 free throws a day or taking 500 jumpshots a day, it's closer to a given talent than to an acquired one at the NBA level. That comes from honing that skill for years when you are still developing your game. What comes next is the decision making and learning the game at the professional level. Steve Nash attributes his court vision to playing organized soccer as a kid and having to pick out moving targets while he was also moving....translate that to him moving with a basketball and having moving teammates out there and it's second nature to him...he's just using his hands now.

I don't know anything about Toney Douglas' childhood, but at FSU he was a shooting guard. He got to the NBA based on his merits as a shooting guard, I would feel more comfortable with us acquiring a player who got to the NBA based on his merits as a point guard to play the point, it's literally that simple. It's not a slight against Toney in any way, I just want him in the position he's accustomed to do what Toney Douglas do.

He plays the game like an off-guard, let him be a ****ing off-guard, and go get a point guard who plays the game like a point guard and obtimize his talents at his position. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I despise Rondo as much as the next guy (I hate anything Boston) but I give credit where credit is due, the dude has tremendous court vision. Court vision is not like shooting 1500 free throws a day or taking 500 jumpshots a day, it's closer to a given talent than to an acquired one at the NBA level. That comes from honing that skill for years when you are still developing your game. What comes next is the decision making and learning the game at the professional level. Steve Nash attributes his court vision to playing organized soccer as a kid and having to pick out moving targets while he was also moving....translate that to him moving with a basketball and having moving teammates out there and it's second nature to him...he's just using his hands now.

I don't know anything about Toney Douglas' childhood, but at FSU he was a shooting guard. He got to the NBA based on his merits as a shooting guard, I would feel more comfortable with us acquiring a player who got to the NBA based on his merits as a point guard to play the point, it's literally that simple. It's not a slight against Toney in any way, I just want him in the position he's accustomed to do what Toney Douglas do.

He plays the game like an off-guard, let him be a ****ing off-guard, and go get a point guard who plays the game like a point guard and obtimize his talents at his position. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

I'd take Kemba Walker over him in a heart beat, Kyrie Irving too and I think that says it all. Two bottom of the rung teams will have better floor generals than we will if we let TD run this team.

nuckles2k2

Superstar
I'd take Kyrie, Brandon, or Kemba over TD for starting PGs. Definitely Kyrie and Brandon, Kemba is more of a question mark but I think he's shown enough at UConn playing the point to show that he can be a serviceable PG at the pro level.

I think Kemba has more combo guard in him than pure point, but so does Monta Ellis and Jarryd Bayless and I'd be more comfortable with either of those guys running the point for us over TD. Once again...don't get me wrong, I love TD....but he. is. not. a. point. guard. Luke Ridnour and Steve Blake are point guards, TDougie is not.

I say let him be a combo guard that comes off the bench and provides a spark on both ends. There's nothing wrong with that.

WrongIslander

Rotation player
I'd take Kyrie, Brandon, or Kemba over TD for starting PGs. Definitely Kyrie and Brandon, Kemba is more of a question mark but I think he's shown enough at UConn playing the point to show that he can be a serviceable PG at the pro level.

I think Kemba has more combo guard in him than pure point, but so does Monta Ellis and Jarryd Bayless and I'd be more comfortable with either of those guys running the point for us over TD. Once again...don't get me wrong, I love TD....but he. is. not. a. point. guard. Luke Ridnour and Steve Blake are point guards, TDougie is not.

I say let him be a combo guard that comes off the bench and provides a spark on both ends. There's nothing wrong with that.

That one bad game against Duke (where Coach K showed why he's so highly rated more so than any player in that team) aside he was brilliant and he's only going to get better. He's going to be the sleeper of all the PGs and he's a pure point in the making, believe that.

I'm right there with you on TD, I love the guy, I love his heart, his effort but some people make it impossible for you to talk up the guy when they want him to be something he's not.

Edit: I just realised I said Kemba (got Kemba fever lol) and I definetly agree he's more of a combo guard, I meant KENDALL MARSHALL. Easy mistake to make right?

nuckles2k2

Superstar
That one bad game against Duke (where Coach K showed why he's so highly rated more so than any player in that team) aside he was brilliant and he's only going to get better. He's going to be the sleeper of all the PGs and he's a pure point in the making, believe that.

I'm right there with you on TD, I love the guy, I love his heart, his effort but some people make it impossible for you to talk up the guy when they want him to be something he's not.

Edit: I just realised I said Kemba (got Kemba fever lol) and I definetly agree he's more of a combo guard, I meant KENDALL MARSHALL. Easy mistake to make right?

Ahh ok, yea. I don't know too much about Kendall but I do know that the 'Heels season was turned around when he was inserted as the starting point guard. I'd take a chance on him too.

The only thing is, I would want Billups around to shepherd whoever our young PG is, that's regardless of who the coach is at that point. Whether it's MDA (who KFFQ thinks can turn anyone into a PG) or someone else, I want that vet PG on the team to guide him. Funny thing is I noticed Billups doing that with Toney in their first game together in Feb. The Bucks were shooting free throws and both players were in the back court talking to MDA, and when MDA left the convo and went back to the bench, Chauncey and TD walked down the court together and Billups was still talking to him, moving his hands, and coaching him up on the court.

While that's beneficial for Toney, I would want the same thing for anyone we might draft at the PG spot.

But yea, Kyrie, Kemba, Kendall, and Brandon are all solid picks...Kyrie is probably top-3, definitely top-5, but the other three can probably be had by either trading up or waiting for them to fall to us (maybe except for Brandon Knight...he could be top 10 as well.)

WrongIslander

Rotation player
Ahh ok, yea. I don't know too much about Kendall but I do know that the 'Heels season was turned around when he was inserted as the starting point guard. I'd take a chance on him too.

The only thing is, I would want Billups around to shepherd whoever our young PG is, that's regardless of who the coach is at that point. Whether it's MDA (who KFFQ thinks can turn anyone into a PG) or someone else, I want that vet PG on the team to guide him. Funny thing is I noticed Billups doing that with Toney in their first game together in Feb. The Bucks were shooting free throws and both players were in the back court talking to MDA, and when MDA left the convo and went back to the bench, Chauncey and TD walked down the court together and Billups was still talking to him, moving his hands, and coaching him up on the court.

While that's beneficial for Toney, I would want the same thing for anyone we might draft at the PG spot.

But yea, Kyrie, Kemba, Kendall, and Brandon are all solid picks...Kyrie is probably top-3, definitely top-5, but the other three can probably be had by either trading up or waiting for them to fall to us (maybe except for Brandon Knight...he could be top 10 as well.)

I'll be watching with interest to see where the bigs go as well. Lucas, Kanter and Valanciunas. Any of those would be welcome but I'd probably take Valanciunas as the most solid of the candidates regardless of Lucas' potential and Kanter's size.