Knicks finding the balance

smokes

Huge Member
The Knicks right now are coming together with a good balance. Not only of offense/defense but also between MDA's SSOL offensive philosophy and the half court style that some of our best players thrive under.

It has not been a cut and dry meld between these styles but more of a constant transition between the two, effectively right now our team plays SSOL or half-court or a mix from game to game. The best part is it's working.

I noticed this trend over the last five games. Against Orlando we started trying to play up-tempo but realised quickly it wasn't going to work. For four periods (2-4 +OT) we played a constant, grinding half court effort on both sides of the ball, and we won the game. We should have even won this game with a reasonably comfortable 5-7 point margin in regulation.

Against New Jersey in both games (including tonights up to the 4th) we have played SSOL down to the tee. Every possession has been pushed up quicky and has regularly resulted in the quick open look.

I actually think MDA has decided that a Melo ISO is a perfectly acceptable play in the SSOL because when Melo takes a midrange contested jumpshot it still has a 50%+ chance of falling.

When the Nets pulled it close in the second game of the 5 we switched into half court. We slowed it down and grinded through their run and eventually locked up the win.

Against Toronto and Cleveland it was the same pattern. Run and gun out to a big lead and if they cut it close we switch to half court. At Philly we did exactly the same!

Our defense is still coming together but the effort is there for 90% of every game now. Right now the Knicks actually look MORE dangerous than MDA's Suns team.

The Suns could run and gun but that was all. They also had no defense to speak of. The Knicks can run and gun, slow things down and grind out wins against top East teams, mix and switch between the two on the fly, and play defense.

I'm excited!

Great thread.

I love SSOL @ times. There's nothing wrong with it. Only concern is the other O gets more shot attempts per 100 possesions but then again, we also get more shot attempts; so it evens out & goes in NY's favor most of the time.

SSOL is not about shooting under 7 secs "just for the fun of it", it's all about getting an open looker & open shots on a consistant basis.

The best way to score is to have a wide open lay up, dunk or an open looker. Thats what SSOL does. It gives you open looks. You have an open shot? 4get about the "shot-clock"... You take the open looker & don't think twice about it.

It doesn't matter; you can run an O' that does ball movement, P & R's, screens or cuts every time & also shoot the ball with under 3 seconds on the shot clock... The main reasoning behind that movement is to set up an open shot. Thats exactly what SSOL is meant for. Open looks. The best way to get an open shot? Catch a D' in transision D or off guard before they have time to set up. Thats what SSOL does.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
im not gonna keep praising them when were good and knocking them when their bad. Although that seems to be an ongoing trend but i will say one thing, were starting to put things together and just in time for the playoffs we could so some serious damage and at this point we could realistically get out of the first round.

tiger0330

Legend
I said the team might struggle after getting Melo but they needed to get a head of steam going in April and that's what they're doing.

It's part D'Antoni finally giving guys like Shelden and Brown a chance to play trying to find his best team to put on the floor.

The light finally went on for D'Ants, too late for AR though, that a team has 12 guys and not just 8.

The team needs to play more consistent D though to be successful, they still give up way too many easy layups.

tiger0330

Legend
I just read that thread about D'Antoni playing the subs because he's holding an audition for the playoffs. Should have known a leopard doesn't changes his spots.

It's good that he's kept a shorter rotation this year. He keeps these players hungry & starving for PT. When players like Walker, Shawne, Carter & now Shelden get in games; They play with effort, heart & they've played extra hard to prove their coach that they deserve a chance.

What MDA has been doing is genius coaching smarts. He's developed these bench players during the entire season during meetings, practices & film study; and now it's showing prouduction on the court. These bench players have been putting up numbers, scoring, playing with intensity on defense & overall... MDA's kept them hungry for our playoff run.

Turiaf will get plenty of PT. MDA's resting him up. We need his energy come playoff time. Guys like Rautins & Mason will see no playing time. Good. Quality over "quantity".

It's up to Shelden, JJ & Brown to fight for playoff PT as our BIG's. Walker & Shawne will both get PT backing up SG, SF & Shawne playing some PF. Carter will get some burn too. Guys like Mason, Balkman & Rautins? lol.

I told you guys we were going to be better than before the trade,Chandler was gone at the end of the season so essentially we swapped Gallo for Melo and Felton for Billups + Moz for 3 decent bench players so i don't see why we would get worse.

Our D' also became much improved after landing Melo, Carter & a smart veteran defender in CB4. Shelden, JJ & Brown over the Russian too. Mozgov was only averaging 3 pts-4 boards per game as a starter. Nothing more than a rookie project.

Melo's a top 3-5 NBA talent. Melo alone over Gallo, Chandler & Felton combined!

Melo is playing like an MVP right now. Not one NBA player has played as great as Melo since the time he's joined NY. Melo is the REASON why we can compete against any Eastern Conf team. Well, Amare & Billups also.

We lost nothing & gained plenty.

Chandler was gone as a FA regardless once we landed Melo this summer. Not a loss.

We replaced & hot & cold still developing Gallo for a future HOF talent in Melo. He's a NY leader now. No loss there.

Gallo would have only been a 6th man @ best to begin with. You know what? TD23 is the much better 6th man. Does everything Gallo could do & better + more. He's 10x more PRODUCTIVE.

Championship run? Playoff-Warrior Billups over Felton every game!!

STAT1

Starter
When guys are hitting their 3 pointers, SSOL is the most fun system to watch in the league. When they're not it's the worst. You can't win championships by placing so much emphasis & importance on taking & making a high volume of 3 pointers unless you put an equal amount of emphasis on playing defense to get the necessary stops on the other end of the floor when those shots aren't falling for you.

I've liked what I've seen out of the Knicks in recent games in terms of their defensive effort seems like Melo has bought into the team concept well & guys are finally starting to have fun playing with one another, but when the playoffs come around this system is highly worrysome to me. For all our sakes we better hope these guys have their shooting touch working once the postseason begins.

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
When guys are hitting their 3 pointers, SSOL is the most fun system to watch in the league. When they're not it's the worst. You can't win championships by placing so much emphasis & importance on taking & making a high volume of 3 pointers unless you put an equal amount of emphasis on playing defense to get the necessary stops on the other end of the floor when those shots aren't falling for you.

I've liked what I've seen out of the Knicks in recent games in terms of their defensive effort seems like Melo has bought into the team concept well & guys are finally starting to have fun playing with one another, but when the playoffs come around this system is highly worrysome to me. For all our sakes we better hope these guys have their shooting touch working once the postseason begins.
And this is what worries me come playoff time. Once those shots start to not fall, will the heads of our players hang and there goes the defensive effort?

STAT1

Starter
And this is what worries me come playoff time. Once those shots start to not fall, will the heads of our players hang and there goes the defensive effort?

It's a legitimate concern. It seems when our offense is clicking the energy level rises & guys start putting forth better effort on the D, when ideally it should be the other way around. The defensive effort should be there every night & it should be what drives the fluidity of the offense after getting stops or steals which sparks the easy baskets off transition. I agree with you once our shots stop falling I question whether the effort will still be there on the defensive side of the ball.