Melo Expects "War" when Knicks face Celtics

kylepicklehead

Benchwarmer
Carmelo expects war when Knicks face Celtics

12:21 PM, April 12, 2011 ι By MARC BERMAN Carmelo Anthony spilled blood on the Garden court in his first match vs. Boston as a member of the Knicks. And he?s expecting nothing less when the Knicks and Celtics resume their longstanding rivalry ? expected to start Sunday in Game 1 in Beantown.
?Brutal battles, man.?? said the Brooklyn-born Anthony, reflecting on the Celtics-Knicks history. ?Wars. It?s going to be a very intense, high-energy series. They got something to prove. We have something to prove. I?m pretty sure it?s going to be a battle. It?s going to be crazy. We just have to keep our composure. It?s going to be a very physical series. That?s the way they play.??
The Celtics, with a distinct size advantage, own a 3-0 edge in the season series and beat the Knicks 96-86 in their lone meeting since the trade by finishing on a 13-0 run on March 21. Anthony received five stitches above the eye from a Rajon Rondo fourth-quarter elbow.
Anthony probably would have preferred Miami and a chance to go at LeBron James, whom he?s fared well against since high school. Asked for his prediction against the Celtics, Anthony said, ?I?m not Nostradamus. I don?t make predictions.??
But Anthony added, ?I?m excited about it. We look forward to it. We have to start fine-tuning some things for that series. Their team has been together for a long time. They know what it takes to get there. It?s a lot of (our) guys first time in the playoffs. We want to prepare ourselves for everything.??
The Knicks have won seven straight and are starting to jell.
?I always felt confident, even when I first got here,?? said Anthony, whose seen the club recover from a 1-9 stretch. ?It just so happens it?s clicking right now for us, to win seven straight going down the stretch into the playoffs. It?s a big momentum swing and confidence booster for us.??
The Celtics have floundered since the Kendrick Perkins trade, and are 9-11 in their past 20. They also have been ripped in the Boston media for sitting their top studs Monday night in Washington, seemingly forfeiting a chance for the second seed. The 95-94 overtime loss to the Wizards sealed the Celtics as the No. 3 seed.
D?Antoni does not think they were doing it so they can get the Knicks. In fact, a source said they had been told the Celtics coaching staff preferred a series with the seventh-seeded Sixers.
?They were probably thinking Miami would lose,?? D?Antoni said.
Asked if the Knicks should be viewed as a dangerous first-round opponent, D?Antoni said, ?We can be that. I have enough talent on the team.??
Chauncey Billups, who has a rough matchup with Rajon Rondo, said, ?We got our hands full.??

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Good article. I cant wait. I think blood will be shed. I hate Pierce and Garnett, but cant lie I love Jesus Shuttlesworth.

This is off topic but I dont know if you follow Berman and Frank Isola on twitter, but do they have a feud or is Isola just messing with him? Always been curious

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Good article. I cant wait. I think blood will be shed. I hate Pierce and Garnett, but cant lie I love Jesus Shuttlesworth.

This is off topic but I dont know if you follow Berman and Frank Isola on twitter, but do they have a feud or is Isola just messing with him? Always been curious

Haven't heard Ray called that in a while.. Yea i've always liked his game too.

I like Melo's attitude. This series is going to be extremely intense. I like to see that he's going in w the right mindset.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
every game will be difficult and will be a battle, just hope were physically up for it and ready to go to war as he said. we have players who are battle tested and have won championships and who have been to western finals plenty of times. were ready each of our big 3 have been leaders and vocal points of their teams success; had this series occurred with our old team to start the season. but given our new additions and leaders were definitely ready to take on this celtics squad. gonna be a hell of a series i feel it.