Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 22 of 22

Thread: Slow your roll (My Rant, beatches)

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by iJoe
    Like trading D'Antoni for an excellent coach that is available? If there was an excellent coach that really was available, I'd be all for it, but the truth is that there isn't. The likelihood that Sloan would be willing to leave Utah for a big city is almost next to nothing.

    Right now there really aren't any available proven coaches. The only decent one coming up next year is probably Rick Adelman and he may resign with the Rockets.

    There aren't a lot of choices and I'm definitely not comfortable handing the coaching reins to someone with no experience (oh god please not Mark Jackson) or even a college coach. College ball is a completely different game and its been proven that College coaches don't do so well when they transition to NBA ball.

    We can complain all we want about how we want someone better at every position. Personally I'd want Dolan out before anyone.... Unfortunately, we have to follow the rules every NBA team does and its not easy to find REALISTIC ways to improve.
    Jerry Sloan coached the Chicago Bulls for 8 or 9 seasons before his 23 years in Utah. Chicago is considered by many to be one of the three first-tier US cities (NY and LA being the others). If he doesn’t want to coach NY, then fine. But you are so quick to conclude that he isn’t a realistic option. Why not? My point is simple. He is jobless right now. I heard by more than one source that he wants to coach again, meaning that he must be considering many options outside Utah, right? He spent over 30 years as a head coach, and this is what he does great. He is as versatile a coach as there is right now. How? He had teams that were big and slow (Mark Eaton anyone?). Those teams played excellent half-court offenses. He played a more open style half-court approach with more three point shooting. He isn’t opposed to centers shooting the three if they can. Point is, Sloan has shown he is able to incorporate many different styles and gets his players to play tough because he is tough on his players.

    I think getting Sloan is a far more realistic option than getting rid of Dolan. Let’s not kid ourselves. Who doesn’t want that joke of an owner out? But, I know that aint happening, unless someone is willing to overpay for the Knicks, Rangers and Liberty. I’m guessing the asking price would be 5-10% over Cablevision’s market value. That’s got to be at least $900 million. Also, league approval and legal implications could take that dream of a transaction months, if not a year or so. As long as Dolan doesn’t hurt the franchise, then he is doing his job. I’m more concerned with people that can immediately impact the Knicks, and that would be the coach and the GM. I really like Walsh. I am just not too crazy about D’Antoni.

    The Knicks shot over 30 threes last night and got outrebounded by 18. As much as I like the 4-out 1-in offense that D’Antoni seems to be in love with, it’s not a winning strategy in the NBA. It works in Euro-leagues because many PFs play in the perimeter and can shoot. In the NBA, there are big, quick PFs that can guard smaller PFs in the perimeter, but can rebound and that’s where we get killed. This problem is beyond personnel, or lack thereof.

    I’m not talking about improving many of our players, that will come in time. I’m talking about a way to improve the quality of play immediately. Just my opinion.

  2. #17
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by shaolin
    Then what’s the point of the GM – to manage all levels of operations of the NY Knicks on a going-forward basis. Meaning, how can we improve as an organization and as a basketball team (increase revenue, decrease expenses, thereby increase net income and improve the Knicks as a product by improving the roster, quality of play, etc)? Right? When the Knicks’ value increases, it means that their future outlook is positive. You always look to improve the future, at least relative to the competition. And when opportunity comes knocking, you grab opportunity by the throat (metaphorically speaking, of course)

    Sorry, I just don’t see your point at all.
    The point is making an "argument" that we should improve our team is not an argument.

    Everyone agrees the team should be improved to the best possibility. Everyone agrees that Sloan is a legend and a great coach. This is an intellectually vapid argument that takes us much originality and brain power as saying we "should" get a better center and we "should" improve problem spots. To say we "should" try to improve (as opposed to why we have to improve certain areas) is not an interesting or engaging argument.

  3. #18
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It's playoff BBall now. Coaching is going to be a very big part of the game. A series involves adjustments and tactics that will expose the other teams weaknesses. I'm not so sure our coach has that chess mentality. He is very predictable.

  4. #19
    Veteran KBlack25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,668
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally Posted by Real NY Baller
    It's playoff BBall now. Coaching is going to be a very big part of the game. A series involves adjustments and tactics that will expose the other teams weaknesses. I'm not so sure our coach has that chess mentality. He is very predictable.
    We will see.

    The defense has been better recently. Not saying MDA is doing it...but SOMEONE on the coaching staff is creating better defensive plays/systems/aggression.

  5. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,270
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    We will see.

    The defense has been better recently. Not saying MDA is doing it...but SOMEONE on the coaching staff is creating better defensive plays/systems/aggression.

    As Bart Scott said "Can't wait!"

    IMO, I think it's the teams collective effort, I doubt if it was much of anything else because they are still running the same defensive sets, which is evident in their poor positioning. The intensity did pick up thou. can't complain there...

  6. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by KBlack25
    The point is making an "argument" that we should improve our team is not an argument.

    Everyone agrees the team should be improved to the best possibility. Everyone agrees that Sloan is a legend and a great coach. This is an intellectually vapid argument that takes us much originality and brain power as saying we "should" get a better center and we "should" improve problem spots. To say we "should" try to improve (as opposed to why we have to improve certain areas) is not an interesting or engaging argument.
    We are obviously not on the same page. It's not an argument until reasons as to why we should improve in certain areas. I thought I provided some fairly clear reasons, although, at a high level. I could go in much more detail, but blogging and typing in forums is barely a hobby of mine. I do it when things get slow.

    I rather get swept if it means MDA gets to be in the hot seat.

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    375
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    What a beautiful display of basketball. I love the number of threes we took in the fourth q. Oh wait, we normally do that anyway. No surprise there! What about losing every key rebound and getting outrebounded by double digits. Wait, that's also normal. Many quality shots in the last six minutes too.

    "Get Jerry Sloan" campaign should start soon

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone notice that our pick and roll sucks?
    By Sons of Thunder in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Mar 06, 2011, 11:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •