ESPN playoff Simulator

miked1958

Rotation player
They have this fun little app on Espn.com that allows you to filll out a bracket manually, from the current standings or 2 other sources. Then you hit the redbutton to let the series playout and go onto next rounds all the way to nba finals. Its different everytime and i got it to predict an upset of Boston on my 2nd try, however it had us losing in 2nd round..

here is the link for anyone who would like to try it out:

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/predictions

Also I see where there is some confusion with people thinking it is a best of 5 and some saying best of 7. First Round Format was changed in 2003 from 5 to 7 game series. Reason being it reduced the chance of a First Round upset by a lower seed, because the better seeded team normally will win 4 over course of 7. In a 5 the lower seed could get hot and eliminate all the hard work a High seed put in all season.
For some reason i think the 7game format benefits this years Knicks. I dont see them doing what they did in 90s losing first 2 and coming back and sweeping celts 3 in a row. If we lost first 2 in boston i think that would take us out of the series. In a 7 game series it is still very bad to lose first 2 but you still have time to recover and push it to 7th game. I think this would benefit us vs boston or miami. I see us winning this in 6. we will get game 5 in boston and win it at home

Sage

Rotation player
Hmm, I ran it 3 times, Knicks get past Boston once. Although I think the 24% chance of a NY upset is a little low.

The 76ers beat Miami all 3 times.

miked1958

Rotation player
Really?

Hmm, I ran it 3 times, Knicks get past Boston once. Although I think the 24% chance of a NY upset is a little low.

The 76ers beat Miami all 3 times.

Must be Sixers fans running that thing for them to come up winning 3 times lol.

jzero29

Rotation player
tough going

I tried it a bunch, a few times we got out of first round but never past the second.
Besides Boston is really tough.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Hollinger's 'abacus' approach excludes the present 'human factor' of any situation. His playoff simulation is only as accurate as the ESPN trade simulator: it's apart from non statistical circumstance.

Even with fan bias in consideration, I think this RealGM poll is more accurate considering what's current in New York and Boston.

Which team will win their first round series of the 2011 NBA Playoffs?
Apr 12, 2011

52.38% of RealGM votes chose Celtics over Knicks.

Total votes: 3950

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/news/polls#ixzz1JPuRFrdO

Hollinger's a gimmick.

Hollinger.png

jnuh

Rookie
I played about 9 times and only once did the Knicks get past the first round, but we did move on to the conference finals and lost to the bulls.

KnickfanaticinGA

Benchwarmer
Wow... I got us winning it all against the SPURS on the 3rd try!!! Each time I got us upsetting the Celts and at least getting to the 2nd round. I like...

Of course my prediction also had Philly beating the Heat and then losing to us.

Interesting

Thank god the games aren't played and won inside a computer simulator... That was too much stress and something I'll never try again. Tried the thing five times and the Knicks only made it out of the first round once only to lose to the Heat during the 2nd round.

I had Lakers vs Chicago the first time. Lakers won it. Lakers vs Celtics the second time. Lakers won it. Thunder vs the Celtics the third time. Celtics won it. San Antonio vs Boston the 4th time. Spurs won it. Spurs vs the Heat the last time... Spurs won it. Thank god, because if the Heat would have won it I would have broke the computer screen.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Knicks Win It All!

WUUUUPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!! 8th try. NBA champions!

1st Round- 24% chance- upset the celtics
2nd round- Sixers upset heat. 61% favorites
3rd round- Knicks upset Magic. Only 14%? Really ESPN? Well F you
Finals- Knicks upset Spurs- 27% chance

WINNING

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
holy hell people. Never play this when ur high. It's 415 right now and i can't stop. SHIT. Trying to get Indiana all the way. BTW. 10+ head to head matchups with Lakers against Heat. Lakers win EVERY TIME. I think a fix is in. Updates in a bit.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
BREAKING NEWS: THE FIX IS IN
ESPN=Discriminating against Heat/Lebron

I've officially played this game until I've had the Heat against the Lakers 15+ times in the finals. It says it's a 50/50 chance. EVERY time the Lakers have won. No way thats a coincidence. Hidden message by ESPN saying Lebron can never beat Kobe. BASTARDS.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
More updates!!!!!!!!!! SHITTTTTTTT

Miami Heat have lost 4 straight times to the Magic in the conference finals.

I have yet to win again with the Knicks. This makes me :thumbsup: because I realize how rare my championship performance on my 8th try really was.

I got the ****in pacers to the conference finals. Each time they were a 93% or worse underdog. Pat my back for that shit.

Music update: I'm currently listening to Ya Boy ft. Akon- Locked Down. Hot new shit.

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
Update time!!!!!!!!!!

Good shit going on recently.

On further inspection with the Lakers/Heat controversy..... I am now willing to bet my life on the fact that that finals matchup is fixed. It's now been 20+ times the Lakers have won it. **** ESPN. 50/50 my ass.

I TOOK THE ****IN PACERS TO THE FINALS!!! I'd take a pic for proof but it's not really cool unless they win.

I've taken every eastern conference team all the way except for the sixers/pacers. I have yet to take a 5+ seed from the west all the way. This shows how much easier it is to get out of the Eastern bracket. Less depth.

My record for consecutive Knicks victories is 3 times against the celtics. GO KNICKS.

Music update: Listening to Scar Gardens by Grieves

ducktales17

Benchwarmer
DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS??

Take ur pants off it's ****in update time.

iight so here's what we got.

Took the Knicks to the ship again. FINALLY. Lost to Thunder.

More on the Thunder. Took them to the ship 4 times out of 6. Won it 3 of those times. VERY interesting. Look for OKC to make a run in this series.

Got the Pacers to the eastern conference finals again.... smh...... Big upset in the making with Chicago?

Music update: Lil Flip- Game Over