The Knicks don't stand a chance. smh

Red

TYPE-A
That's ALL I've heard!
From Sports writers (local papers such as the Daily News, and the Post) to...
Analysts such as those on TNT, Barkley, Smith, etc...
My friends, family, and co-workers...

NO ONE BELIEVES!

When Doc Rivers decided to forfiet their game against the Wizards- he disrespected; he was TARGETING our Knicks!

I've heard it all:
We don't play defense
The Celt's can "turn it on" in the playoffs
Garnot will "shut down" STAT
Pierce is a problem
We can't stop Rondo

When I respond by asking "so how were we up 2 out of the three games we had, and came back from another"? They say that didn't matter, that "the playoffs are a different story".

Here's my assessment of this upcoming series (and my pep talk)

1st- To everyone who says the Knicks can't win, I say win what? This series, or the championship? To say we can't or won't win the championship isn't really going out on a limb as MOST teams won't win the chip this year.

BUT, in regards to THIS series, here are a few nuggets to digest. The Celtics are older, less formidable, and lack the same confidence. They have been struggling to put up points since the trade deadline.

Granted, their team defense has held teams to some of the lowest fg%. But isn't our offense designed to nullify these "great" defenses? Did anyone see how the Bulls great defense left us with many uncontested shots? Granted we live by them, if we miss, it looks bad. But when we make them... Oh' Boy!

We have nothing to lose. And as the saying goes "a man with nothing to lose, has everything to gain"

The pressure is on Boston and will be mounting every minute we remain competitive. Our goal is simple, split on the road, come back to MSG.

Like a boxer who was thought to have no shot, the longer the fight goes on, the more confident he gets.

2nd- "The playoffs are different" "The knicks haven't been there yet"

Yes, I agree, the playoffs are different. But should we discount the experience of our Big Apple 3? With players like Billups who went to 7 straight conference finals, and has a total of 133 playoff games under his belt, not to mention his accolades (Finals MVP etc...).

Or Melo who has 8 career playoff double-doubles, and 9 career 30pt games in the playoffs. He too carried his team to the WCF.

Or maybe they forgot about STAT. Arguably the MVP over the first half of he season. A 5 time all-star and All NBA Player, a year removed from the WCF where he dominated.

Is this who you really want Doc?

3rd- The bench and role players
Toney Douglas, ACC Defensive POY, runner up to Lawson as ACC Offensive POY. Toney has hit more threes after the allstar break than ANYONE, and his 3pt fg% was among the best in the league.

I point to the games where we played head to head, as well as against other playoff bound teams. When we lost, did they beat us, or did we beat ourselves?

I draw parallels to two seperate franchises in the past; The 07' Giants, and the 96' Yankees.

NO ONE thought they could win. Everyone counted them out. And granted a little luck was involved (see: Jeffrey Maier and "The Catch"), with winning teams it always is.

What many of these detractors don't understand is NEW YORK TEAMS THRIVE IN THE UNDERDOG ROLE!

We love it when no one believes, when it's us against the world. Bring it on!

If there's any word or words I would love to hear about my Knicks, it's not "dangerous" or "exciting" or even "surprising" it's...

"Gritty" and "Scrappy". Fearless. A team that won't back down. And that's the type of personnel we have. Fighters.

Are you sure we don't stand a chance? Sure this is the team you want to see? A hungry New York Team led by veterans in their prime.

Be careful what you ask for. Come Sunday...

We ain't playing no games!

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
That's ALL I've heard!

NO ONE BELIEVES!

When Doc Rivers decided to forfiet their game against the Wizards- he disrespected; he was TARGETING our Knicks!

I've heard it all:
We don't play defense
Pierce is a problem
We can't stop Rondo

When I respond by asking "so how were we up 2 out of the three games we had, and came back from another"? They say that didn't matter, that "the playoffs are a different story".

1st- To everyone who says the Knicks can't win, I say win what? This series, or the championship? To say we can't or won't win the championship isn't really going out on a limb as MOST teams won't win the chip this year.

BUT, in regards to THIS series, here are a few nuggets to digest. The Celtics are older, less formidable, and lack the same confidence. They have been struggling to put up points since the trade deadline.

Granted, their team defense has held teams to some of the lowest fg%. But isn't our offense designed to nullify these "great" defenses? Did anyone see how the Bulls great defense left us with many uncontested shots? Granted we live by them, if we miss, it looks bad. But when we make them... Oh' Boy!

We have nothing to lose. And as the saying goes "a man with nothing to lose, has everything to gain"

The pressure is on Boston and will be mounting every minute we remain competitive. Our goal is simple, split on the road, come back to MSG.

Like a boxer who was thought to have no shot, the longer the fight goes on, the more confident he gets.

Yes, I agree, the playoffs are different. But should we discount the experience of our Big Apple 3? With players like Billups who went to 7 straight conference finals, and has a total of 133 playoff games under his belt, not to mention his accolades (Finals MVP etc...).

Or Melo who has 8 career playoff double-doubles, and 9 career 30pt games in the playoffs. He too carried his team to the WCF.

Or maybe they forgot about STAT. Arguably the MVP over the first half of he season. A 5 time all-star and All NBA Player, a year removed from the WCF where he dominated.

Toney Douglas, ACC Defensive POY, runner up to Lawson as ACC Offensive POY. Toney has hit more threes after the allstar break than ANYONE, and his 3pt fg% was among the best in the league.

I point to the games where we played head to head, as well as against other playoff bound teams. When we lost, did they beat us, or did we beat ourselves?

I draw parallels to two seperate franchises in the past; The 07' Giants, and the 96' Yankees.

NO ONE thought they could win. Everyone counted them out. And granted a little luck was involved (see: Jeffrey Maier and "The Catch"), with winning teams it always is.

What many of these detractors don't understand is NEW YORK TEAMS THRIVE IN THE UNDERDOG ROLE!

If there's any word or words I would love to hear about my Knicks, it's not "dangerous" or "exciting" or even "surprising" it's...

"Gritty" and "Scrappy". Fearless. A team that won't back down. And that's the type of personnel we have. Fighters.

Are you sure we don't stand a chance? Sure this is the team you want to see? A hungry New York Team led by veterans in their prime.

great post. We are taking this series and sticking bostons big three in coffins.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
That's ALL I've heard!

NO ONE BELIEVES!

I've heard it all:
We don't play defense
Pierce is a problem
We can't stop Rondo

Take a bow!!

Well put together. A top read, brief and to the point. +7 rep points from me to you.

- I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but once either Allen or Pierce have struggled since the Perkins trade, Boston's offence has looked homeless. It's fact, and there's nothing elaborate about it.

Boston have been weakened at the 1 & 2 spots as well, SHAQ's not even close to 100%, Rondo hasn't been for months.

KG will shut down STAT? Myeh....He'll hinder him no doubt, but it won't be anything pivotal to our success, IMO.

Our one, and it's a big one, concern is the front court combination of Big Gaby, Green, SHAQ(?) and J O'neal.

You know Melo is going to do a Mr Whippy all over Pierce.

KBlack25

Starter
I was all primed for another Red-Anti-D'Antoni-Rant and was pleasantly surprised.

They don't think we can win? GOOD! Because I KNOW we can win.

Look, if we can shut Pierce down, and get Amare going inside, we can win this series. This team just got real soft up-front, and they are broken due to the Perkins trade.

People said the Celtics stood no chance in every series last year, and they made the finals. Will we go THAT far? Probably not.

But we can take this series.

"What many of these detractors don't understand is NEW YORK TEAMS THRIVE IN THE UNDERDOG ROLE!"

This is true^^

Too bad we don't have homecourt advantage, the Garden fans would be a big problem for the opposing team, especially in the playoffs...

bboycustom92

Benchwarmer
We only need to win one game at TD. I can't see the C's beating us in the garden this series. The fans would be messing with them mentally with boos every possession they have. I wouldn't be surprised to see some suspensions go down. Last time we played it was pretty bloody. (melo, allen, etc.)
And that image of pierce taking a bow on the garden floor still makes me sick to my stomach...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Wow I always gave Doc Rivers credit for being a smart coach!

If it is true that he truly did tank games to target The Knicks then there goes that assessment!

7 game win streak aside....why would you want to face any team with Amare and Melo and that has Chauncy Billups (former Final's MVP) in the first round.

This is not the Lenny Wilkens' squad that only got in because of the sucky-ness of The East, this is the type of talent that you see typically in Second Round if you are top 3 seed

But hey Doc has won more NBA games as a coach than me as well as one more Final than me, so I suppose he knows what he is doing

Seems a little bit crazy to me.

7c0ae4ded3_rivers10242007.jpg

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
Wow I always gave Doc Rivers credit for being a smart coach!

If it is true that he truly did tank games to target The Knicks then there goes that assessment!

7 game win streak aside....why would you want to face any team with Amare and Melo and that has Chauncy Billups (former Final's MVP) in the first round.

This is not the Lenny Wilkens' squad that only got in because of the sucky-ness of The East, this is the type of talent that you see typically in Second Round if you are top 3 seed

But hey Doc has won more NBA games as a coach than me as well as one more Final than me, so I suppose he knows what he is doing

Seems a little bit crazy to me.

7c0ae4ded3_rivers10242007.jpg

I dont think he was tanking to play the Knicks. There were reports that after the Miami loss, he went around and asked all his players what do they think they need before the playoffs, they asked to rest the last two games of the regular season to recharge. After losing to Miami they were not going to be the 2nd seed unless they won there final two and Miami lost atleast 1 game, which probably wasnt going to happen anyways.

As for the series, it should be a good one. Hope the Knicks can pull out the upset, but its not going to be easy againt an expirienced team like the Celtics who have won many games on the road in the playoffs the past few seasons.

Red

TYPE-A
"What many of these detractors don't understand is NEW YORK TEAMS THRIVE IN THE UNDERDOG ROLE!"

This is true^^

Too bad we don't have homecourt advantage, the Garden fans would be a big problem for the opposing team, especially in the playoffs...

Being that its the playoffs, and tix might be a bit expensive...

Do you expect the "rowdy" loud crowd, or the uptight casual fan that can afford it? Hopefully its the former.

Red

TYPE-A
I was all primed for another Red-Anti-D'Antoni-Rant and was pleasantly surprised.

They don't think we can win? GOOD! Because I KNOW we can win.

Look, if we can shut Pierce down, and get Amare going inside, we can win this series. This team just got real soft up-front, and they are broken due to the Perkins trade.

People said the Celtics stood no chance in every series last year, and they made the finals. Will we go THAT far? Probably not.

But we can take this series.

Nah, no coach bashing. As I've said, everyone deserves credit for wins and loses. From the coach to the water boy.

Gotta give coach props. He righted the ship when we were reeling, and he's got our players to buy in. Hey, we've got one of the greates scorers ever thriving in one of the best offenses in the game. Can't ask for more than that.

Although I will say, this is where he really earns his keep.

*Newsflash, we are scheduled to play at 7-8pm Sunday.
It's war time, be prepared to starp it on.

**and I'm not sold on Chicago either. I bet they don't make it as far as everyone expects.

Red

TYPE-A
I dont think he was tanking to play the Knicks. There were reports that after the Miami loss, he went around and asked all his players what do they think they need before the playoffs, they asked to rest the last two games of the regular season to recharge. After losing to Miami they were not going to be the 2nd seed unless they won there final two and Miami lost atleast 1 game, which probably wasnt going to happen anyways.

As for the series, it should be a good one. Hope the Knicks can pull out the upset, but its not going to be easy againt an expirienced team like the Celtics who have won many games on the road in the playoffs the past few seasons.

C'mon, he knew who they would face.

He also knows they lac size and the better matchup is against a smaller squad.

LJ4ptplay

Starter
We're hot right now and Boston is not. Regardless of the fact that the majority of our opponents on this run have been below average, confidence is a major factor. We're high on confidence and Boston's is low. For that fact alone, we have a significant chance at an upset.

Blumatic

Rotation player
Aside from last year (Dwade one man band of Miami) The Celtics struggle in the first round. Hawks took the eventual NBA champs to 7 games. Bulls had an epic 7 game series with 6 or 7 overtimes. They do not fair well in the first round. Once they get out, then they go on a roll. We are not a typical 6th seed.

I hope we are the team to close this Celtic era. I dont want to give it to the Heat. I believe in the metaphysical world of sports. I always think history repeats itself.

The lakers ruled the 80s and the Bulls beat the in 91 in the Finals to rule the 90s. If the Bulls beat the lakers this year they will rule this decade.

If we close the Celtics dynasty I think it will do wonders for our franchise. It means something. Miami will always be there. They will be there next round.

We beat the Celtics, we replace them as the power house the heat will have to contend with.

Destiny.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
I do like the positivity..But I have to be honest, I think The knicks will lose.
I see them losing in 6 games possibly. I just think they rely to much on three's and their defense is a big question mark. They haven't really beaten any great teams except maybe the heat, but this knick team didn't beat the bulls. even though they didn't have Amar'e and the knicks did play to lose in my opinion.

But if shaq plays . I just don't think we have an answer for him. Amar'e defense scares me as well and he's been struggling. I just see us being competitive, but still losing.:gony:

TR1LL10N

Hannibal Lecter
Not everyone is hating! Props to Thibs.

?In most playoff games, it comes down to the ability to get your three primary scorers better shots than your opponent gets their three primary scorers better shots,? said Thibodeau. ?They?re playing at a very high level, and they?ve got three stars. So at the end of the game, if it?s close, they?ll be able to get a very high-percentage shot.?

?They?ve come a long way. Their defense is vastly improved,? said Thibodeau. ?They?re very unselfish. They play smart. They?re going to be a dangerous team.?

I think the big question moving forward is whether or not to go small and fast against Boston. Yes, they lost Perkins but if Shaq and JO are healthy combined with Kristic, KG and Big Baby I don't see how the Knicks can win playing "their" game. I believe for us to have a shot we need to put Amare at the 5 and Melo at the 4 and run these old farts ragged! It would be unwise to get into a slowed down half court game with Boston as that is their strength. I don't think they can run with us for 7 games so if we can keep the D decent while running and gunning I think we have a real shot.

I do like the positivity..But I have to be honest, I think The knicks will lose.
I see them losing in 6 games possibly. I just think they rely to much on three's and their defense is a big question mark. They haven't really beaten any great teams except maybe the heat, but this knick team didn't beat the bulls. even though they didn't have Amar'e and the knicks did play to lose in my opinion.

But if shaq plays . I just don't think we have an answer for him. Amar'e defense scares me as well and he's been struggling. I just see us being competitive, but still losing.:gony:
Dude all your posts that I've seen have been negative and saying that the Knicks are going to lose. If all your going to write is Celtics will win then go to a Celtics forum.

Red

TYPE-A
We're defnitly gonna run our hybrid system. If the shots fall, we win. If not, then...

Nothing really will change since we played them the first 3x's. We saw they couldn't score with us. We saw them try and exploit the post as usual. And we blew leads by not playing smart with poor shots.

What we have to count on is getting higher % shots when they count as in the game is in the balance. If that happens like I suspect by Melo scoring and/or dishing at will...

And we gain confidence like we belong there...

Boston will be in for a dog fight.

johnnyrose

Benchwarmer
Dude all your posts that I've seen have been negative and saying that the Knicks are going to lose. If all your going to write is Celtics will win then go to a Celtics forum.

Well what do you want me to be unrealistic ? I've been a fan for 31 years. And teams that don't play defense against teams that do, don't win.

I would love to be wrong. But you have to be in denial not to see that the knicks don't have any size. And can't seem to beat this team. Even when the celtics were struggling they couldn't beat them,I could see the knicks winning a game or 2 even 3. But that's it.

If they win Great! I hope I'm wrong, and will be the first one to post it and apologize for being down on a team, that has frustrated me for more than 3 decades.

they don't have a true center, And don't really care about defense like they should. Who's going to guard shaq ? I wish someone could answer that.

miked1958

Rotation player
So this game tonight, win it and if we lose the first one that counts we will say we shouldnt have put so much energy into winning a meaningless game. OR do we go in with the mindset of trying to prove a point that we can play with them. I mean we dont want to give them any confidence going into the series, so is it better we try and win it or just play subs and not care?

tiger0330

Legend
The key to a Knicks win is the Pierce/Melo and KG/Amare matchups. KG and PP have proven they can turn up the defensive intensity in the playoffs, if they shutdown our stars and Stat/Melo don't do the same, it will be a short series.

We are a poor matchup at the 5 even with Perkins gone so even though Boston can't win the whole enchilada without Perkins, Shaq and JO'Neal probably is good enough to get the job done against the Knicks.

That said anything can happen in the NBA. Go Knicks.