The 'REAL" Reason We Didn't Win Game 1

hometheaterguy

Knicks Guru
While the officiating was questionable, the reason why we lost was Melo pulling a John Starks and Amare, who was smokin' hot, not touching the ball in the last minute of the game!!! I mean, Amare looked like Elgin Baylor last night and the fact the not 1 play went through him during the last minute is the real crime and I have to get on Mike D for that.... I always stick up for him but you could have designed the play for Melo to get the ball as a smoke screen and DISH to STAT but to allow MELO to continue launching bricks is unacceptable!

Kiyaman

Legend
I had no problems with this game untill the final 11 seconds......
Mr. wannabe HERO-Carmelo Anthony is suppose to have playoff-experience.....
in this one game, Melo showed why his team (Denver) was a first-round
knockoff for 6 seasons.

If Melo wouldve drove the ball inside to tie the score....I couldnt complain
if no fouls were call or he missed the shot b/c we were in the long history
of Boston Garden officiating.
I didnt have a problem with Boston time-out design-play of an alley-oop to
KG b/c the NBA world know Dantoni has no-defensive plan.

P.S. Amare & Marion had this same (exact) problem with HERO-Marbury in
the 2003-playoffs in Phoenix.
I guess some-players are "Super-Stars" in the regular-season, and role-
players in the playoffs.

Red

TYPE-A
I had no problems with this game untill the final 11 seconds......
Mr. wannabe HERO-Carmelo Anthony is suppose to have playoff-experience.....
in this one game, Melo showed why his team (Denver) was a first-round
knockoff for 6 seasons.

If Melo wouldve drove the ball inside to tie the score....I couldnt complain
if no fouls were call or he missed the shot b/c we were in the long history
of Boston Garden officiating.
I didnt have a problem with Boston time-out design-play of an alley-oop to
KG b/c the NBA world know Dantoni has no-defensive plan.

P.S. Amare & Marion had this same (exact) problem with HERO-Marbury in
the 2003-playoffs in Phoenix.
I guess some-players are "Super-Stars" in the regular-season, and role-
players in the playoffs.

That was a cheap shot. "Why we lost" this game has nothing to do with Melos shot.

Who was responsible for Amare NOT getting touches FIVE... FIVE... FIVE clutch possessions down the stretch?

The real crime will be not learning from this.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
Agreed.

Just to be clear I'm not bashing Antoni at all. He had these guys ready to play and I give him credit for that, but the Fields decision was very bad. He didn't have it on offense but the guy was definitely committed on defense.

Yeah I was screaming at this as well. He might not have been scoring but at least he provides a bigger body on defense & gives us a shot at grabbing some key rebounds. TD should NOT have been guarding Ray Allen. Allen is a natural scorer & has the ability to exploit the height difference.

Last edited:

GoNYK127

Benchwarmer
The reason we lost that game was 3 reasons

Melo and Billups combining for 8 for 29 from the field/4 for 14 from three

Celtics obtaining 15 offensive rebounds, double their season average.

and 7 straight posessions to end the game that amare not only didnt take a shot

but DIDNT EVEN TOUCH THE BASKETBALL.

stop making excuses, we played a great game

but the little things that we needed we didnt do to win

we could have won by 15 pnts if we gave up 5 less offensive rebounds, melo made 2 to 3 more buckets

and amare got the ball more in the last 2 minutes.

end of story

stop whining

and stop making excuses.
:agreed:
Stop blaming the refs. We were up 12 at halftime. If we were a Championship caliber team, instead of letting the Celts claw back in, we keep squeezing them by the neck until they can't breathe anymore. Melo will want blood in game 2.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
That was a cheap shot. "Why we lost" this game has nothing to do with Melos shot.

Who was responsible for Amare NOT getting touches FIVE... FIVE... FIVE clutch possessions down the stretch?

Yeah they definatley have to learn from this game. Although I believe if Billups doesnt go down with a minute left we would of atleast had a better possesion down the stretch as he could of set up Melo or STAT for a higher percentage shot.

I wanted to see Melo atleast run a pick and roll with STAT at the end. Even if he keeps the ball and shoots it I would of been fine with it. As much as I didnt like how Melo just squaring up to shoot the 27-28 footer at the end of the game, as a Knicks fan I really cant complain if it comes down to the final shot and Melo takes it as he is as clutch as they come.

I have to disagree with this one. DFDH if you rewatch the game at least half of those offensive rebounds the Knicks could do nothing about. They were flukes. Ball bounced directly into the Celts hands. Matter of fact during the game my son and I were amazed at how strange the ball was bouncing.

dude it was from us not putting a body on rondo and ray allen and pierce, we were trying to out jump the celtics as opposed to finding your man when the shot goes up and putting a body on them

THats CYO basketball knowledge there

I remember in 5th grade coaches screaming at me the PG, to find my man and box out when a shot goes up.

in the playoffs this is how you win

you recover the ball

rondo was coming in from the three point line grabbing offensive rebounds while billups sat there watching atleast 5 times.

stop the excuses please

we needed to play better in the areas that are important

thank god we played defense or our lack of offense would have lead to a blow out.

either way rear view mirror time

new game new attitude

lets get game 2.

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
:agreed:
Stop blaming the refs. We were up 12 at halftime. If we were a Championship caliber team, instead of letting the Celts claw back in, we keep squeezing them by the neck until they can't breathe anymore. Melo will want blood in game 2.

You knew Boston was going to make a run, they are a veteran championship caliber team with 3 hall of famers in Pierce, Ray and KG. We actually withstood the run and still had a lead for the majority of the game.

Yeah, we could of rebounded better and had better posessions at times, but overall we played a pretty damn solid game. One of the best defensive performances of the year for us, holding the Celtics to 87 points. We only scored 85 but you also have to remember that Boston is top 2 in defense and really stepped up in the 3rd quarter on D and got real physical, taking away open shots and forcing us into bad ones.

Despite all that, we had a great chance to win the game in the final minute but the refs make one TERRIBLE call on Melo that was complete BS, especially in that situation in a playoff game with a 1 point lead. Then you add in the trip by KG on TD to give Allen an open 3 to take the lead and on the final shot by Melo Boston had two coaches on the court (yelling to foul as they had one to give) which is a technical, and even the Billups play there was contact that wasnt called. Those 3 non calls to go along with that horrible offensive foul on Melo took away the chance to finish them off/win it in the final minute.

Personally I would of had no problem with the refs letting them play and not calling the tripping on KG, the contact on Billups layup or the tech with the coaches on the court IF they didnt call that BS foul on Melo. I am not one to ever try to blame a loss on the refs, but this game is hard to not feel that the refs robbed us of a chance to win it in the final minute.

StarksOverJordan

Benchwarmer
Its so frustrating to watch KG and Pierce. Pierce is the biggest flopper in the game sans Varajeo and Bosh. He really should enroll in some Acting classes because he'd be head of the class. KG is KG, hes dirty and a dirtbag of an individual.

It hurts that Ray hit that shot, because I really enjoy the guy and hes one of my favorite players. He says and does all the right things.

As for the game, MDA did make some mistakes. In the 3rd instead of trying to pour it on he should've put his defensive stoppers in (Carter, TD, JJ etc.) He didnt get them in until we were only up 2-4 pts. That got me frustrated. I think we will win Tuesday even without Chauncey. TD needs to hit at least 1 of his first 3 shots or else were doomed. He missed his first 2 then looked pretty good for a soph. That is all for now

Coach didn't play the right players at certain points of the game. Plus his predictablility in clutch situations fools no one. A little more creativity in the roster should would have kept the knicks momentum up beat. Walker could have used more minutes in this game. In this game, the offense should have went thru Stat since he was the hot man. Mello was off in the second half but I'm sure he will make up for that in the next game.

The Refs should be fined and/or suspended for blowing calls. They get away with too much and should be held accountable, especially in games like this.

Red

TYPE-A
When I see Garnot resort to tripping and dirty plays as he's accostumed to

and the Celtics rely on the refs to bail them out...

I see a weak reeling team, primed for the taking. Add when I see Allan jumping around in such joy to suggest he SHOULD have lost this game...

IT TELLS ME, WE HAVE THEM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM. WE'RE BETTER. THEY KNOW IT. WE WILL WIN!

miked1958

Rotation player
To be Fair.....

When I see Garnot resort to tripping and dirty plays as he's accostumed to

and the Celtics rely on the refs to bail them out...

I see a weak reeling team, primed for the taking. Add when I see Allan jumping around in such joy to suggest he SHOULD have lost this game...

IT TELLS ME, WE HAVE THEM RIGHT WHERE WE WANT THEM. WE'RE BETTER. THEY KNOW IT. WE WILL WIN!

Its still a foul weather it is intentional or not, but I really dont think he tried to trip TD to set up the open 3 for Allen. I think he was just coming over to set a pick and TD kind of ran over his outstretched foot and tripped. It happens. Thats when a ref should keep the whistle in his pocket. But if you are going to keep it in your pocket on that play, that same ref had no business calling that ticky tack foul on Melo the play before.

YungMelo15

Benchwarmer
We didn't lose this game because of Antoni, even though a lot of times we do. We lost this game because the NBA didn't want us to win and the refs called the game accordingly.

The refs gave the Celtics multiple second chance opportunities to get back into the game and then to close it out at the end. Go back and watch the phantom foul called on Melo against Pierce in the corner where the refs gave them 3 free points to take the lead. Or how about calling a tic-tac foul on Melo with :22 seconds remaining in the game and then not calling Garnett for BLATENTLY tripping Douglas to open up the Ray Allen game winning shot. I'm in the progress of putting together a bad call compilation video on youtube to let you guys see what I saw and call out these corrupt refs and league/commish.

Sorry guys but it all comes down to money and a Boston/Miami series will pull in more money than a Knicks/Miami series. Maybe we'll get the calls next year if we get another big name. Who knows... All I know now is it's obvious we have no chance to win if we're playing the Celtics and the refs. F*CK THE NBA, F*CK THE REFS, and F*CK DAVID STERN!

+1 my dude. Stern is retarded! I know alot of peole who would rather see NY vs MIA second round, but it shouldnt be about money anyway. This is a sport where it should be about the teams and the fans, not about getting some fat loser rich!

Red

TYPE-A
Its still a foul weather it is intentional or not, but I really dont think he tried to trip TD to set up the open 3 for Allen. I think he was just coming over to set a pick and TD kind of ran over his outstretched foot and tripped. It happens. Thats when a ref should keep the whistle in his pocket. But if you are going to keep it in your pocket on that play, that same ref had no business calling that ticky tack foul on Melo the play before.

Take a look at the video, then let me know. "Outstretched foot" (while moving) is the very definition of an ILLEGAL SCREEN!

This was a poorly officiated game period. Lawrence Frank entering the field of play during the last shot was missed also. But a questionable offensive foul called on Melo was acceptable...?smh with 21 seconds and a 1 point lead!

Unheard of.

Poor officiating. Poor choice to neglect Amare for seven of the final possessions (I thought it was 5).

ITS ON COACH TO RECTIFY THIS BEFORE THINGS REALLY GO SOUTH. IF anything this should provide the motivation we need going forward.

knicksman20

Benchwarmer

I agree with your point. It might not have been intentional, but the ref has to make that call when they called that B.S. on Melo when PP was draped over him.

MELO 5-18 fg 2-8 tp
Billups 3-11 fg 2-6 tp

3-5 calls dont make up for that

Melo has to be melo

our superstar and best scorer cant drop 15 pnts in a playoff gm and expect to beat the celtics.

whens the last time youve seen

kobe
dirk
amare
wade
lebron
durant

score 15 pnts on 5-18 shooting and beat a team like the celtics ?

Kiyaman

Legend

Believe-me that is not a cheap-shot aimed at Melo.....this is not the
first, second, or third year Melo has demanded the ball in the playoff to
only perform like a role-player.
Its not the loss....its the final 11 seconds of getting to the line to tie the score.
We want better decision-making than Jamal Crawful (Carmelo).
Melo had Ray defending him with Rondo running towards him, Melo was
suppose to drive to the basket to get fouled and stop the clock.

Beating Boston in Boston in the playoffs has a long history of being a hard
task for some Knicks-great players like.... Clyde & Reed, Cartwright & 50
points Bernard King, Ewing & Mark Jackson, but none of these great players
tried to be an individual-Hero.....u recall all the 3-balls Starks shot in the
4th quarter of the FINALS vs Houston in the 6th game....that Hero move of
Starks turned Knick-teammates off.

How do u think Knick-teammates feel today watching the final 11 seconds
of last night game, which was suppose to go into OVERTIME???

Believe-me that is not a cheap-shot aimed at Melo.....this is not the
first, second, or third year Melo has demanded the ball in the playoff to
only perform like a role-player.
Its not the loss....its the final 11 seconds of getting to the line to tie the score.
We want better decision-making than Jamal Crawful (Carmelo).
Melo had Ray defending him with Rondo running towards him, Melo was
suppose to drive to the basket to get fouled and stop the clock.

Beating Boston in Boston in the playoffs has a long history of being a hard
task for some Knicks-great players like.... Clyde & Reed, Cartwright & 50
points Bernard King, Ewing & Mark Jackson, but none of these great players
tried to be an individual-Hero.....u recall all the 3-balls Starks shot in the
4th quarter of the FINALS vs Houston in the 6th game....that Hero move of
Starks turned Knick-teammates off.

How do u think Knick-teammates feel today watching the final 11 seconds
of last night game, which was suppose to go into OVERTIME???

kiya while i agree with what your saying, truthfully you cant solely blame melo for what happened in the final minute of that game that lead to us losing

offensive foul to negate a made 3 by tony douglas in the corner
billups out with an injury
ray allen open corner three before his gw three
pierce hit some biggggg shots
Kevin garnett dirty dirty diry
douglas not getting amare the ball 7 times down the floor in a row
amare missing 2 big free throws
poor defensive strategy by dantoni and genius offensive play calling by rivers on that lob to garnett to pull them within 1
a terrible offensive call by the ref
and a terrible no call on the end by the ref

you can only mark this game up to be what it was

a really good playoff game, that shows the knicks are capable of playing defense, we just didnt execute, and catch any breaks.

Im actually proud of our team.