We Still Need Role Players

No Way In Hell we can win with the
effort of our bench guys. Melo had 32 to their
37 in the early 4th These guys need to step up.

What the Hell has happen to Fields?? Rookie Wall?
Nervous??What?? We need him to to what he did
early in the season with scoring off broken plays. Mike
D needs to play him I'm tired oh seeing Walker try to Create
and play poor Defense.

Jared Jefferies is a good Defensive Role player
but no way in hell should this man be on the court
in the clutch with us down 1. We need a Stretch 4 who
grab rebounds and make teams pay when they double.

This is the second game when their bench/role players out played
ours Game 1 with Jermaine Oneal 6/6Fgs and 7 Blocks
and this game with guys like Green/West/Oneal.

If we can't get Cp3 we need to load the bench up
with some better players. Our stars are having to carry a burden
night in night out when no one steps up. If walker goes 2/11 instead of
0/11 we win.

Yeah I couldn't agree more. I made this post already, but to me. Thats really the difference between us and boston. If you look at their roster they have a role player for every situation. They can play big or small, offensive or defensive. Our roster is so depleted from the carmelo trade that we really aren't built to last in the playoffs. That said, I think everyone played their hearts out the last two games, and we have every reason to believe we can take it to boston in ny. I just wish we had the depth to rest our stars a little more like boston does

STAT1

Starter
Yeah I couldn't agree more. I made this post already, but to me. Thats really the difference between us and boston. If you look at their roster they have a role player for every situation. They can play big or small, offensive or defensive. Our roster is so depleted from the carmelo trade that we really aren't built to last in the playoffs. That said, I think everyone played their hearts out the last two games, and we have every reason to believe we can take it to boston in ny. I just wish we had the depth to rest our stars a little more like boston does

if Boston had lost KG & Rondo for game 2 do you think they would have even come close to winning this game? I don't. Knicks lost STAT & Chauncey & yet Melo almost single handedly carried the team to a victory playing with a bunch of guys who were sleep walking through much of the game on offense. I agree this team needs more role player depth but not many teams out there that can overcome the loss of 2 of their top 3 players & still get a W in the playoffs.

la2ny

Starter
Honestly we were never deep to begin with. The only backup we traded was Wilson. Everyone else has been replaced. (Felton-Billups,Jeffries-Mozgov,Gallinari-Melo) The only reason we are so depleted is because of this crazy injury bug we have. We have lost Stat and Billups and are left w/ limited minutes for Shawne and Ronny. And how does Rautins go out for the year w/o even playing???

takeshi

Rookie
We lack a stable SG, who can give us consistent 3 points while open. Walker may do so but obviously he couldn't last night.

and play poor Defense.

0/11 we win.

Defending Fields and bashing D'Antoni...that's how your post comes across to me.

Did you really watch both games?

Landry Fields was the worst player on the court by a huge margin in both games!

D'Antoni did a great job in the playoffs so far! He even got our players actually playing defense! And he doesn't have any options on the bench, what is he supposed to do?

Fields is piss poor and Walker is the only other option at the SG spot and guess what he's been much better than Fields. THe same goes for the PG spot, BIllups out so only Douglas and Carter remaining, he even had to play Mason because of Douglas foul issues.

He trusted Jeffries and Turiaf and they have been fantastic so far, really proud of their efforts. They didn't back down one inch against one of the better and most physical front courts in the league, despite not beeing centers.

If we had someone like Allan Houston at the SG spot we would be in a position to sweep them. We lost both games by 1 freaking posession!
All it took was some help from the SG spot, to support STAT in game 1 where Melo had an off-night and to support Melo in game 2 where STAT was injured.

Fields has really disappointed me
thought he would be someone to
show up in the playoffs but he
has defiantly hit that rookie Wall!!!

TD has been outclassed/abused by Rondo
the whole series first a 30point performance and
a triple-double not to mention keeping him in foul trouble.

Walker is a SCRUB no way around it, kid does not look
to pass takes bad shots and always pushes off on layups
he's a real ball stopper he should not be picked up next season
unless it's only to be a shooter he should never create his own shot or
spend more than 12 mins on the court.

I guess most of us were right when we said we should have
waited till next season to get Melo we would have had a way deeper bench
and still had the injury-free Felton just imagine a whole season of
Felton/Douglas
Fields/Walker/Douglas
Melo/Gallo/Williams
Amare/Jefferies/Williams
Turiaf/Mozgov/Jefferies
not to mention our first round pick and two 2nd rounders.

I want to see what he can do next year, let him get some time to soak this in. Itz been a long wierd season for the Bockers...we practically have a brand new team with intentions on further evolving it. The final product is not done yet but I'm starting to lose patience too.

SSj4Wingzero

All Star
It's often said that teams really need 1 superstar and a solid 2nd scoring option and they'll be fine.

That's not true at all. You need roleplayers who can make plays in critical situations. D'Antoni in Phoenix, for example, lucked out because he had two stars (Nash and Amar'e) but he also had tons of good roleplayers who could get defensive stops and add a scoring punch when Nash/Amar'e was hurt and/or had an off night; guys like Barbosa, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, etc. who could step up and make plays.

We had Bill Walker who shot 0-11 in Game 2 (if he buries 2 shots we win the game), we had Landry Fields who looked TERRIBLE, and our defense was not TERRIBLE all things considered in the first two games but we didn't have people who could make shots when it counted. We're going to have to step it up.

I want to see what he can do next year, let him get some time to soak this in. Itz been a long wierd season for the Bockers...we practically have a brand new team with intentions on further evolving it. The final product is not done yet but I'm starting to lose patience too.
Yeah I feel like this is a whole new team when they play
out there, and for some strange reason the team meshes
well with either Amare out there or either Melo out there
but when both are on the floor the role players just stop
and watch as if they both will make all the plays.
We need to work on our chemistry for next season.
:gony::smokin:

It's often said that teams really need 1 superstar and a solid 2nd scoring option and they'll be fine.

That's not true at all. You need roleplayers who can make plays in critical situations. D'Antoni in Phoenix, for example, lucked out because he had two stars (Nash and Amar'e) but he also had tons of good roleplayers who could get defensive stops and add a scoring punch when Nash/Amar'e was hurt and/or had an off night; guys like Barbosa, Shawn Marion, Raja Bell, etc. who could step up and make plays.

We had Bill Walker who shot 0-11 in Game 2 (if he buries 2 shots we win the game), we had Landry Fields who looked TERRIBLE, and our defense was not TERRIBLE all things considered in the first two games but we didn't have people who could make shots when it counted. We're going to have to step it up.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say
I think we need to spend that Cap space we have
next season and try to get 2-deep at every position
I want guys capable of stepping up when one guy
isn't playing well that are threats to give the opp.
at least 15. All the elite teams are that deep (LA Bos
DAL CHi).
Bill Walker doesn't need to come back neither Mason
Jr. or Turiaf( makes 4mil but only plays 35-55 games)
we need to ship them this offseason for some 2nd rounders.

STAT1

Starter

Shawne Marion was no role player in his days in Phoenix he was 1 of the top 2 or 3 SF's in the game. Joe Johnson was an up & coming future Allstar himself. The teams he had in Phoenix were stacked with more talent than just about any other team in the NBA during his time coaching there. You are correct in saying he had a lot of quality role players that knew how to make plays in big moments, but he also had 3 legitimate superstar players along with another up & coming Allstar talent on his roster. When you have talent like that on your team, it makes the job for all your role players that much easier to make plays themselves.

I think the fact that Bill Walker went 0 for 11 in game 2 is very telling, we need to hold the coach accountable for leaving him in the game for 32 minutes instead of going to other options. If a player is struggling as badly as Walker was in game 2, I think it's beholden to the head coach to pull him from the game & put in someone else. When Landry Fields looked as ridiculously bad as he did last night from the very opening tip, I think it's his job as a head coach to take Landry aside & calm his nerves, or at least design some kind of plays for him off the ball where he wouldn't be called upon to be a ball handler & instead allow him to work off his movement on backdoor cuts & the like for easy scoring opportunities. The Knicks can bring in as many quality role players as they want but we're not gonna win many games when 2 of our top 3 players aren't contributing, & certainly not when our head coach is failing to make some very rudimentary & logical decisions when it comes to in-game management of the players themselves.

Paul1355

All Star

and play poor Defense.

0/11 we win.

actually our bench has outplayed the Celtics bench, but Mike D isn't playing his bench that much.

smokes

Huge Member
D'Antoni did a great job in the playoffs so far! He even got our players actually playing defense! And he doesn't have any options on the bench, what is he supposed to do?

This is the kinda thing that makes me laugh a bit about people who support MDA. They think that getting a team to play defense is good coaching. No, playing defense is a GIVEN on most NBA teams. We have played GOOD defense in a handful of games (Miami, Orlando, both games in Boston) but pretty much average defense through our stretch into the playoffs (and even that was inconsistent).

The only reason people are so happy is because we played practically NO defense before. Now we play defense most of the time and play good defense occasionally. Whoopie!

actually our bench has outplayed the Celtics bench, but Mike D isn't playing his bench that much.

Yeah but I'm not really talking about the bench
I'm talking role-players outside of Melo-Amare-Billups
Everyone else is a role player and just
like the Celtics have their Big4
everyone else is a role-player.
Our bench does score more than theirs
but they never come up with timely
stops(GAME 1) or execute late in games(GAME 2)
and some games they never show up (GAME 3).
We need consistency and We need it from Fields,Williams,Walker,Turiaf,Jefferies,
Douglas,Carter or they need to be re-evaluated and traded.

Shawn williams, Doug and Turiaf are good role players, can't expect too much from them. And Fields is a good one too but lately he seems to be defering. I think Brown has some potential and Carter is a savvy vet almost any team can use off the bench. Walker is questionable thou along with Mason, the rest (imo) are :barf:expendable.

I think we will aquire some very good role players thru the draft (a defensive center, a gaurd). The scouts don't really have to focus on offense which is a big help. Plus, I'm sure Zeke has been snooping around for young talent too, he does have a good nose for it...I'll give him that much...

Paul1355

All Star
Yeah but I'm not really talking about the bench
I'm talking role-players outside of Melo-Amare-Billups
Everyone else is a role player and just
like the Celtics have their Big4
everyone else is a role-player.
Our bench does score more than theirs
but they never come up with timely
stops(GAME 1) or execute late in games(GAME 2)
and some games they never show up (GAME 3).
We need consistency and We need it from Fields,Williams,Walker,Turiaf,Jefferies,
Douglas,Carter or they need to be re-evaluated and traded.

game 3 Shawne Williams scored 17 points and Bill Walker scored as well, AC did not play from quarters 2-4 even though he was part of the small run in 1st quarter of game 1. So really in my opinion it is just players not hitting open shots and Mike D not bringing the guys in at the right time, which he always does so nothing new.

game 3 Shawne Williams scored 17 points and Bill Walker scored as well, AC did not play from quarters 2-4 even though he was part of the small run in 1st quarter of game 1. So really in my opinion it is just players not hitting open shots and Mike D not bringing the guys in at the right time, which he always does so nothing new.

And this is why we need better Role-players
we need guys who will hit the shots when we
throw them in these guys are too inconsistent
they show up when they want to. If Walker hits
some shots in Game 2 (0-11) we win or Fields in Game
1 we would have had both games but no one but the
"Stars" showed up.