Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: Game 2 - Unforgivable Coaching Errors

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    334
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Game 2 - Unforgivable Coaching Errors

    I have often defended D'Antoni in the past.

    However, in my view he committed two unforgivable coaching errors in Game 2, squandering one of the most incredible individual playoff efforts ever (Carmelo) and a solid team effort as well.

    Error #1: 13 seconds to play, down 1, Knicks have the ball coming off a timeout. You know they will double Carmelo, Carmelo is doubled and makes the right play (pass to the open man). However, D'Antoni has failed to make the traditional offense-defense switches and you do not have your best offensive players on the floor. Predictably, they fail to execute. Unbelievable.

    Error #2: 6 seconds to play, down 1, Celtics in-bounding, you need to foul. If you foul immediately, you may get a chance to tie and go into overtime. Carmelo at that point has four fouls and is tired (played the whole 2nd half). You make the same error again, fail to switch to your best defensive players, to fresh players who can stay sharp and who can afford to give up a foul (because you will need Carmelo in the full overtime - so you don't want him to commit the foul); and you can bring Carmelo back in after the foul (during the shots at the line) for the final attempt to tie the game (and in the process give him a minute of rest - so that he has a better chance of hitting the three you will probably need to tie the game after the foul shots).

    These are both really unforgivable basic 101 coaching errors that most high school coaches would not make. I just don't understand. It is mind-blowing.

    How can D'Antoni be so bad at this part of the game? I mean, he has them playing well, so he is not completely incompetent, maybe even a good coach overall, except he has this huge hole in how he handles the last minute of games.

    It seems like a mental weakness in the coach which has infected his players. And the difference between a talented team which falls short, and a championship team. I really have to question if they can ever win a championship no matter what players they acquire over the summer or next year, with this coach. I mean you cannot win a championship winning by twenty every night. You are going to actually have to coach the final two minutes of the game at some point along the way.

  2. #2
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I was going ape **** for the same reason. That, and the open man shouldn't have been Jefferies off Melo's double team.

    Bitter Pill.

  3. #3
    Member The Garden '95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bronx,New York
    Posts
    108
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    everything you said was right but hey maybe he thought since that squad got us back in the game then maybe they can finish but sometimes guts and basic coaching have to be realized and he gambled and we lost,idk if we can rebound from this one, another heart breaker that we had in our hands and let it slip.

    dantoni obviously needs to use DOC's way and have a defensive assistant who can remind you of certain things and give you tips here and there cause the assistants we have now are just a bunch of head nodders who listen to what ever dantoni says and agrees with it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    334
    Rep Power
    9

    Default My point exactly

    Jeffries trying to pass there was predictable, he is not a good foul shooter so he is not going up strong to draw a foul.

    If you bring in Turiaf, and Carmelo makes the same pass, is there not a much better chance that he:

    1) goes up strong, and
    2) either makes the basket or gets fouled (or both), and
    3) makes at least one of two at the line

    Just that one switch. Of course, I would have made more switches to put your best offensive players and best foul shooters in the game (as Rivers did on the play before that).

  5. #5
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    Jeffries trying to pass there was predictable, he is not a good foul shooter so he is not going up strong to draw a foul.

    If you bring in Turiaf, and Carmelo makes the same pass, is there not a much better chance that he:

    1) goes up strong, and
    2) either makes the basket or gets fouled (or both), and
    3) makes at least one of two at the line

    Just that one switch. Of course, I would have made more switches to put your best offensive players and best foul shooters in the game (as Rivers did on the play before that).
    MD

    "I'm comfortable having Melo on the team and letting Melo decide what he needs to do," D'Antoni said. "I'm not going to nit-pick him. He's the best finisher of games in the last 10 years, if I'm not mistaken, in the NBA. So I'm going to all of a sudden (say) I didn't like the one choice he made? I don't think that's fair to him.

    "We talk about end-of-game situations all the time. He knew we needed the two. He knew if he gets doubled he can pass it to somebody. I'm comfortable with him making that play."


    Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



  6. #6
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally Posted by Crazy⑧s
    MD

    "I'm comfortable having Melo on the team and letting Melo decide what he needs to do," D'Antoni said. "I'm not going to nit-pick him. He's the best finisher of games in the last 10 years, if I'm not mistaken, in the NBA. So I'm going to all of a sudden (say) I didn't like the one choice he made? I don't think that's fair to him.

    "We talk about end-of-game situations all the time. He knew we needed the two. He knew if he gets doubled he can pass it to somebody. I'm comfortable with him making that play."


    Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


    I've gone on at length w you about how MDA trusts his players..

    This is just another example of his philosophy.

  7. #7
    Member YungMelo15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    In my hoop dreams
    Posts
    309
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I still want somebody to explain that CRAP that douglas did when he picked up his 3rd foul on rondo. (Probably should of been 3 shots). He looked over at the bench and then fouled for no damn reason. WTF? There was 3 minutes on the game clock and 15 seconds on the play clock. I dont understand that 1.

  8. #8
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Trust or bust. Trusting Melo isn't exactly the trait of a clever coach. Especially when he's sizzling.

    As long as the philosophy is adroit, I don't have a problem with it. How could I? Tonight, it wasn't.

    Wrong players at the wrong times in the wrong spots.

    This is what I saw. I'm sure you saw it too, Ron.

  9. #9
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    I have no problem w the pass from Melo..

    I just wish there was somebody underneath who could do something w it.

  10. #10
    I got Soul StreetDreams21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Vegas/NY
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    This is from a blog.

    We all watched. We all get it. Not a lot I can add for you, not at this point in the season. But if you are a person who looks at a game where the Knicks fought and fought and damn near beat the Celtics without Amaríe ****ing Stoudemire (not to mention Chauncey Billups) and goes looking for a scapegoat, I donít have anything for you. Go write your own blog. You want to blame Jared Jeffries? How did you feel when he shut Rondo down? How did you feel when he scored the would be game winning bucket? What do you think Timo Mozgov would have done when he caught that ball?

    Think about life for a second. Take a minute. Ever fail a test? Ever lose the girl you love? Was there something wrong with you? Did you suck?

    No, you didnít. That was a tremendous Knicks performance. Carmelo Anthony and a bunch of no luck pound puppies doing the best they could. Appreciate that ****.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,206
    Rep Power
    20

    Default


    I never been a fan of Dantoni's coaching (past or present),
    My agreeing with the poster of the thread might be consider .......,
    but there are to many FLAWS in Dantoni's coaching.

    Injuries to Amare & Billups.....during the playoffs
    I wonder while I wander MSG

  12. #12
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,488
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    I have no problem w the pass from Melo..

    I just wish there was somebody underneath who could do something w it.
    That would be my point.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,811
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    D'Antoni is just not a good in game manager. Reminds me of our former NY Giant head coach Jim Fassel who couldn't manage a game also, caught up with Fassel who hasn't been able to find a job in the NFL despite coaching a team to the Superbowl. I could see the same thing happening to D'Antoni as well where he gets fired and never finds another NBA head coaching job.

  14. #14
    Member PaPZ187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    D'Antoni is just not a good in game manager. Reminds me of our former NY Giant head coach Jim Fassel who couldn't manage a game also, caught up with Fassel who hasn't been able to find a job in the NFL despite coaching a team to the Superbowl. I could see the same thing happening to D'Antoni as well where he gets fired and never finds another NBA head coaching job.
    Yeah, its actually a shame that he has these mental lapses here and there with the game on the line because personally I have wanted to get rid of him for a while but even I must admit the team has been playing their a**es off under him in the 1st 2 games on the playoffs on both sides of the court given circumstances (i.e. injuries, opponent, on the road, etc).

  15. #15
    Veteran Clyde & The Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,463
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    I have often defended D'Antoni in the past.

    However, in my view he committed two unforgivable coaching errors in Game 2, squandering one of the most incredible individual playoff efforts ever (Carmelo) and a solid team effort as well.

    Error #1: 13 seconds to play, down 1, Knicks have the ball coming off a timeout. You know they will double Carmelo, Carmelo is doubled and makes the right play (pass to the open man). However, D'Antoni has failed to make the traditional offense-defense switches and you do not have your best offensive players on the floor. Predictably, they fail to execute. Unbelievable.

    Error #2: 6 seconds to play, down 1, Celtics in-bounding, you need to foul. If you foul immediately, you may get a chance to tie and go into overtime. Carmelo at that point has four fouls and is tired (played the whole 2nd half). You make the same error again, fail to switch to your best defensive players, to fresh players who can stay sharp and who can afford to give up a foul (because you will need Carmelo in the full overtime - so you don't want him to commit the foul); and you can bring Carmelo back in after the foul (during the shots at the line) for the final attempt to tie the game (and in the process give him a minute of rest - so that he has a better chance of hitting the three you will probably need to tie the game after the foul shots).

    These are both really unforgivable basic 101 coaching errors that most high school coaches would not make. I just don't understand. It is mind-blowing.

    How can D'Antoni be so bad at this part of the game? I mean, he has them playing well, so he is not completely incompetent, maybe even a good coach overall, except he has this huge hole in how he handles the last minute of games.

    It seems like a mental weakness in the coach which has infected his players. And the difference between a talented team which falls short, and a championship team. I really have to question if they can ever win a championship no matter what players they acquire over the summer or next year, with this coach. I mean you cannot win a championship winning by twenty every night. You are going to actually have to coach the final two minutes of the game at some point along the way.
    Add to that not putting Turiaf in the game on KGs late basket. You then put Jared on Rondo and double of Rondo. Make him win it from the outside. If you lose then, fine I'll accept it.

    Lets just hope he uses this philosophy for the rest of the series...

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks @ Bucks 11/21 8:30 PM ET
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: Nov 22, 2008, 00:49
  2. Replies: 83
    Last Post: Nov 17, 2008, 09:48
  3. New York Knicks vs Seattle Sonics Game Thread
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: Feb 04, 2008, 16:20
  4. Replies: 73
    Last Post: Feb 03, 2008, 23:30
  5. Dallas Mavericks vs New York Knicks Game Thread
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: Dec 11, 2007, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •