Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Douglas' coming out party??

  1. #1
    The Knicks are Back DaTPRiNCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood
    Posts
    3,862
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Douglas' coming out party??

    who knows maybe tonight he shows us that he truly can be more than just a sparkplug 6th man. maybe he can elevate his play and truly be a starter in this league and a quality one at that. he's shown flashes during the season especially after billups went down. he'll have billups mentoring him tonight and i expect to see Douglas play well as a result i feel he has a lot of upside and if he can finesse his PG skills he can be our starter of the future no reason why not.

    we find out tonight

  2. #2
    Evacuee Crazy⑧s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    6,482
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Could happen. See how his shoulder holds up. He tends to favour it occasionally.

    If anyone has a score to settle, it's him.

    2:20am here and I can't sleep! T minus 5:40!

  3. #3
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Thumbs up

    Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    who knows maybe tonight he shows us that he truly can be more than just a sparkplug 6th man. maybe he can elevate his play and truly be a starter in this league and a quality one at that. he's shown flashes during the season especially after billups went down. he'll have billups mentoring him tonight and i expect to see Douglas play well as a result i feel he has a lot of upside and if he can finesse his PG skills he can be our starter of the future no reason why not.

    we find out tonight
    I've scouted him.

    His strengths include:

    *his defense playing the passing lanes etc...
    *his speed
    *streaky when hot and confident

    His weaknesses include:

    *poor decisions
    *over playing his man on defense, gets caught out of position by being over agressive, has to recover too much
    *lackadaisicle passing
    *POOR FINISHER AROUND THE BASKET- RESORTS TO UNECCESSARY FLOPPING DURING ROUTINE LAY-UPS

    Dear Toney,

    I know you won't admit it but I see your issues. They're similar to many undersized shooters. You were caught in between being a point guard and/or a shooter. In college you were a scorer which normally would translate into being a "combo-guard in the NBA.

    But in this system, with this coach and our personnel, you are being asked to be more of a facilitator. That's not your strength, nor was your vision of who you would be. I know you are more comfortable with the green light as a scorer. We have seen the same issues with Nate Robinson.

    Let me add the psycological aspect to this. Any player including you is better with confidence. Your confidence came when you had the reigns to shoot without looking over your shoulder, and this is the current case. But those pg attributes must be on display tonight. Your passing MUST be crisp! Your decisions, specifically when to shoot, to drive, or to dish, HAVE to be from a floor leader stand point.

    To put it best I would say, yes you are now an EXPERT in this system, an EXPERT. By now you should know exaclty how it works, where to go, and the nuances. But that's just it. To take your game to a higher level, YOU MUST REALIZE THE SYSTEM IS A BLUE-PRINT, YOUR BB KNOWLEDGE should superceed the system! That means while playing within the system, IF you see an opening, you take it!

    If you see a mismatch, you exploit it, over and over. If the opposition looks tired, you speed up. If they speed up, YOU slow them down. Get your teamates involved, but don't be too passive, look for yur shot, especially during multiple mised possessions. Right the ship.

    This is what a Point Guard does. He is in control. You are in control, nothing should dictate how the ball moves EXCEPT YOU! You have the ability to control the show.

    You are a soldier, and the military has supplied you with MANY deadly weapons. STAT, Meloand the cast are your weapons, there for you. THE FOCUS SHOULD BE ON YOU.

    Once you establish yourself (by being aggressive) and sense the shift and focus, then you implement your weapons! That's what they're there for, to support you and your decisions. When you decide to drive USE YOUR BODY AND QUICKNESS TO PUT A QUALITY SHOT UP RIGHT WHEN THOSE BIG BODIES CAN'T REACT WITHOUT FOULING YOU- and keep doing this until they collapse- then kick it out.

    That's the best I can tell you. Be a leader, make a difference. Talk it up, gain your teams confidence, and lastly, a sign of a good pg is...

    Makeing sure your team knows YOU SEE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE EVEN WHEN ITS NOT APPARENT.

    God's speed!

  4. #4
    Veteran DontForgetDerekHarper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I think the largest factor in douglas starting is how he defends rondo.

    Douglas tends to over play his opponent on defense while effective at times, sometimes causes him to get beat to the basket which is a strength of rondos. I felt that billups did a good job at providing rondo space to force him to take uncomfortable jump shots and not see the floor as well.

    As a plus I would expect the energy of douglas to impede rondo's ability to run into the paint for offensive rebounds, something that billups was unable to do.

    As a negative I feel that douglas will provide rondo with the type of match up he likes, some one who forces him to utilize his dribble as opposed to become a spot up mid range jump shooter.

    we shall see.

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    632
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    We all better hope he holds serve till Billups can get back in there. We need this win,. BOy would it have been a whole much better situation going into tonight without billups had we pulled that game out sunday nite.

  6. #6
    Member goldenchild1688's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    201
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    a lot of what i said on another knicks thread on sohh has been posted already in here. great breakdown guys, no need for me to rehash.

    with that being said i expect a big game out of toney. in the past when he's had to fill in and we needed him to step up he's usual come up big.

    i expect him to use his quickness to slow rondo defensively and i see him having the stroke from the outside tonight. the 3 ball should fall for him more often then not. he's never been one of those guys that strikes me as being afraid of the big lights. things can always go the other way but i wouldn't be suprised by a 20+ point performance out of him. i kind of expect it

  7. #7
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    I've scouted him.

    His strengths include:

    *his defense playing the passing lanes etc...
    *his speed
    *streaky when hot and confident

    His weaknesses include:

    *poor decisions
    *over playing his man on defense, gets caught out of position by being over agressive, has to recover too much
    *lackadaisicle passing
    *POOR FINISHER AROUND THE BASKET- RESORTS TO UNECCESSARY FLOPPING DURING ROUTINE LAY-UPS

    Dear Toney,

    I know you won't admit it but I see your issues. They're similar to many undersized shooters. You were caught in between being a point guard and/or a shooter. In college you were a scorer which normally would translate into being a "combo-guard in the NBA.

    But in this system, with this coach and our personnel, you are being asked to be more of a facilitator. That's not your strength, nor was your vision of who you would be. I know you are more comfortable with the green light as a scorer. We have seen the same issues with Nate Robinson.

    Let me add the psycological aspect to this. Any player including you is better with confidence. Your confidence came when you had the reigns to shoot without looking over your shoulder, and this is the current case. But those pg attributes must be on display tonight. Your passing MUST be crisp! Your decisions, specifically when to shoot, to drive, or to dish, HAVE to be from a floor leader stand point.

    To put it best I would say, yes you are now an EXPERT in this system, an EXPERT. By now you should know exaclty how it works, where to go, and the nuances. But that's just it. To take your game to a higher level, YOU MUST REALIZE THE SYSTEM IS A BLUE-PRINT, YOUR BB KNOWLEDGE should superceed the system! That means while playing within the system, IF you see an opening, you take it!

    If you see a mismatch, you exploit it, over and over. If the opposition looks tired, you speed up. If they speed up, YOU slow them down. Get your teamates involved, but don't be too passive, look for yur shot, especially during multiple mised possessions. Right the ship.

    This is what a Point Guard does. He is in control. You are in control, nothing should dictate how the ball moves EXCEPT YOU! You have the ability to control the show.

    You are a soldier, and the military has supplied you with MANY deadly weapons. STAT, Meloand the cast are your weapons, there for you. THE FOCUS SHOULD BE ON YOU.

    Once you establish yourself (by being aggressive) and sense the shift and focus, then you implement your weapons! That's what they're there for, to support you and your decisions. When you decide to drive USE YOUR BODY AND QUICKNESS TO PUT A QUALITY SHOT UP RIGHT WHEN THOSE BIG BODIES CAN'T REACT WITHOUT FOULING YOU- and keep doing this until they collapse- then kick it out.

    That's the best I can tell you. Be a leader, make a difference. Talk it up, gain your teams confidence, and lastly, a sign of a good pg is...

    Makeing sure your team knows YOU SEE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE EVEN WHEN ITS NOT APPARENT.

    God's speed!
    Nice speech lol. I heard the courageous music in the background getting louder as I was reading it.

  8. #8
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Nice speech lol. I heard the courageous music in the background getting louder as I was reading it.
    Mad funny like he really reads this right?lol

    Do you agree about his strengths & weaknesses?

    Notice how he throws himself on the floor when he drives for no good reason? That's because he has trouble scoring in traffic. His timing and ability to leverage using his body is weak, so he "tries" to entice a foul call (and ultimately gives himself a reason to miss- because supposedly he was fouled).

    I see it every drive he makes in traffic, seen him get a few swated also, which doesn't help. Contrast that to great inside scoring guards like Rose or even (gulp) Marbury. They know (knew) how to use timing and proper positioning to draw contact yet get a quality shot up.

    I really wish coach would notice this and help TD work on this, but he probably doesn't . Its a shame because TD has the speed & quickness and handle to get to the hole, he just needs to learn how to finish. Peep it and let me know.


    Oh and he MUST stay out of foul trouble tonight. I think he and Carter will do well. They're no slouches.

  9. #9
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    Mad funny like he really reads this right?lol

    Do you agree about his strengths & weaknesses?

    Notice how he throws himself on the floor when he drives for no good reason? That's because he has trouble scoring in traffic. His timing and ability to leverage using his body is weak, so he "tries" to entice a foul call (and ultimately gives himself a reason to miss- because supposedly he was fouled).

    I see it every drive he makes in traffic, seen him get a few swated also, which doesn't help. Contrast that to great inside scoring guards like Rose or even (gulp) Marbury. They know (knew) how to use timing and proper positioning to draw contact yet get a quality shot up.

    I really wish coach would notice this and help TD work on this, but he probably doesn't . Its a shame because TD has the speed & quickness and handle to get to the hole, he just needs to learn how to finish. Peep it and let me know.


    Oh and he MUST stay out of foul trouble tonight. I think he and Carter will do well. They're no slouches.
    I agree with everything you just said. If a player has all of the tools necessary but he's not putting things together then the coach(es) need to map out the schematics for him. According to Rose, it was waiting a tick longer before he elevated, he used to used to take off like half a step further out and use his athleticism to avoid contact and finish in the paint, he couldn't get any calls to save his life...now he takes off that half a step closer to draw the contact but uses those floaters and his ungodly body control to finish the shot...he lives at the free throw line.

    I'm willing to bet he didn't wake up one morning and say "If only I wait a little longer before I elevate...."

    This is not an attack on MDA or anything, but someone has to show Mean Muggin' T Dougin' how to utilize his gifts more effectively.

  10. #10
    Veteran nyk_nyk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,529
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    His strengths include:

    *his defense playing the passing lanes etc...
    *his speed
    *streaky when hot and confident

    His weaknesses include:

    *poor decisions
    *over playing his man on defense, gets caught out of position by being over agressive, has to recover too much
    *lackadaisicle passing
    *POOR FINISHER AROUND THE BASKET- RESORTS TO UNECCESSARY FLOPPING DURING ROUTINE LAY-UPS
    I agree with your assessment of his strenghts and weaknesses.
     
    I'd like to add that his weaknesses, if on full display tonight, has to be kept to a minimum because good teams like BOS take every opportunity to exploit those things. His passing doesn't have to be superb but he can't have the shoot first mentality he usually brings off the bench. I've stressed this already but Antoni has to be more active this game in calling out plays and settling TD down if he starts getting wild and kills ball movement. He more than any of us should know that TD isn't fully ready yet, especially against a great BOS team.

  11. #11
    TYPE-A Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    2,308
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    I agree with your assessment of his strenghts and weaknesses.
     
    I'd like to add that his weaknesses, if on full display tonight, has to be kept to a minimum because good teams like BOS take every opportunity to exploit those things. His passing doesn't have to be superb but he can't have the shoot first mentality he usually brings off the bench. I've stressed this already but Antoni has to be more active this game in calling out plays and settling TD down if he starts getting wild and kills ball movement. He more than any of us should know that TD isn't fully ready yet, especially against a great BOS team.
    This could be a blessing. Douglas can and will speed up the offense, maybe we score more and get them winded.

  12. #12
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by Red
    I've scouted him.

    His strengths include:

    *his defense playing the passing lanes etc...
    *his speed
    *streaky when hot and confident

    His weaknesses include:

    *poor decisions
    *over playing his man on defense, gets caught out of position by being over agressive, has to recover too much
    *lackadaisicle passing
    *POOR FINISHER AROUND THE BASKET- RESORTS TO UNECCESSARY FLOPPING DURING ROUTINE LAY-UPS

    Dear Toney,

    I know you won't admit it but I see your issues. They're similar to many undersized shooters. You were caught in between being a point guard and/or a shooter. In college you were a scorer which normally would translate into being a "combo-guard in the NBA.

    But in this system, with this coach and our personnel, you are being asked to be more of a facilitator. That's not your strength, nor was your vision of who you would be. I know you are more comfortable with the green light as a scorer. We have seen the same issues with Nate Robinson.

    Let me add the psycological aspect to this. Any player including you is better with confidence. Your confidence came when you had the reigns to shoot without looking over your shoulder, and this is the current case. But those pg attributes must be on display tonight. Your passing MUST be crisp! Your decisions, specifically when to shoot, to drive, or to dish, HAVE to be from a floor leader stand point.

    To put it best I would say, yes you are now an EXPERT in this system, an EXPERT. By now you should know exaclty how it works, where to go, and the nuances. But that's just it. To take your game to a higher level, YOU MUST REALIZE THE SYSTEM IS A BLUE-PRINT, YOUR BB KNOWLEDGE should superceed the system! That means while playing within the system, IF you see an opening, you take it!

    If you see a mismatch, you exploit it, over and over. If the opposition looks tired, you speed up. If they speed up, YOU slow them down. Get your teamates involved, but don't be too passive, look for yur shot, especially during multiple mised possessions. Right the ship.

    This is what a Point Guard does. He is in control. You are in control, nothing should dictate how the ball moves EXCEPT YOU! You have the ability to control the show.

    You are a soldier, and the military has supplied you with MANY deadly weapons. STAT, Meloand the cast are your weapons, there for you. THE FOCUS SHOULD BE ON YOU.

    Once you establish yourself (by being aggressive) and sense the shift and focus, then you implement your weapons! That's what they're there for, to support you and your decisions. When you decide to drive USE YOUR BODY AND QUICKNESS TO PUT A QUALITY SHOT UP RIGHT WHEN THOSE BIG BODIES CAN'T REACT WITHOUT FOULING YOU- and keep doing this until they collapse- then kick it out.

    That's the best I can tell you. Be a leader, make a difference. Talk it up, gain your teams confidence, and lastly, a sign of a good pg is...

    Makeing sure your team knows YOU SEE EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE EVEN WHEN ITS NOT APPARENT.

    God's speed!
    I was w you up until you said Tony was a "poor" finisher. This couldn't be further from the truth.

    As a natural scorer he tends to be pretty crafty around the rim. Infact it's one of his real attributes.

    And the, "dear Tony" section?? Really dude?

    Whatevs... I won't comment further. ;-)

  13. #13
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Yea, coming out as Rondo's bitch...

  14. #14
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Sorry but as I said before the playoffs, he's not good enough to lead this team. The experience will do him good and he could be a nice bench player but that's it unless something drastically changes.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    122
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    coming out all right... as a gay defensive player.... not that there is anything wrong with that.... if your a celt.

Similar Threads

  1. Game 2: Knicks @ Celtics 4/19
    By jpz17 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 291
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2011, 18:08
  2. Loss in CLE shows Knicks are Frauds
    By mafra in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: Dec 28, 2010, 22:14
  3. Replies: 47
    Last Post: Dec 23, 2010, 05:29
  4. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2009, 18:41
  5. Douglas making point to D'Antoni
    By DaTPRiNCE in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 04, 2009, 06:53

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •