it'd be nice if this team had serviceable PG..

finestrg

Rotation player
Another guy I'd think about offering a summer league contract to is former Gonzaga standout Matt Bouldin. Nice career at Gonzaga, good size at 6'5" 220, from what I remember he's a SG that can play some point (very good passer), very strong, rebounds well, fearless, wants the ball in big spots, surprisingly athletic with a good dribble-drive game to the basket and he's a quality outside shooter and FT shooter. Dude can even post up a little bit in the right matchups..

Two small negatives I think we can get past:

(1) After going undrafted in 2010, he signed on to play ball in Greece and was recently dismissed from his Greek team after testing positive for 4-Methyl-2-Hexanamine. "The drug is listed on various Internet sites as a stimulant, nasal decongestant and nutritional supplement," according to a report I just read this morning...Supposedly Bouldin was shocked when he tested positive for the banned substance, saying he got the supplement over the counter at GNC & had no idea it was illegal. Said he even told his Greek trainers he was taking it. Looks like he may have been taking it to control his weight which may have spiked to 230+ lbs at various times.. Not a big deal if you ask me..He's since signed on to play for the Tulsa 66ers in the DL where he's only played in a handful of games and has underwhelmed..Again, no big deal -- we already know he can ball.

(2) Just looking over his Twitter account past and present, he comes off like a clown at times sounding a little cocky & arrogant, surprising considering you'd think the suspension would've humbled him a little bit..Again, no biggie, dude's still young and it's the fact that he can play and contribute in a good number of areas that intigues me..Playing next to vets like Amar'e Stoudemire, Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups (who I think will be back next year) should straighten him out and keep him in line if he did indeed have a little personality issue..

Anyone have an opinion on Bouldin? I think he could definitely help us..Definitely has enough talent to play in the NBA if you ask me. Could be a very nice role player here. Tell ya what, I think Bouldin with his versatility could be a better option for us over Billy Walker. Much cheaper too --- Walker has a team option for $916K next year. We could get Bouldin for half that amount, less even..

Last edited:

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
wow..

Wish had this Bouldin kid instead of Rautins.. and TD. Dudes 6'5'', 215 and looks like a real point. He's the kind of combo guard you want -- the point guard in a 2's body!

He looks really solid fundamentally, nice J, good handle and vision.

Excellent find finestrg! I really like that kid.

finestrg

Rotation player
Well as we've seen in clips 1 & 3, I think he could be at least adequate on defense, probably a little better than adequate actually. He's no lockdown defender but he appears to do a good enough job sticking with his man long enough to force some difficult shots or he'll funnel/angle his man right toward the help defense..Next year we should have even more shot-blocking than we had this season and this year was a major improvement over years past...Amar'e & Turiaf can both block shots at a pretty good clip and hopefully we'll add another swatter or two this offseason (Jerome Jordan averaged 3.7 blks his sophmore yr @ Tulsa in only 25 mins; 2.5 & 2.3 the next two seasons). Looks like Bouldin plays the passing lanes well and shows active hands and feet. At Gonzaga he was a solid steal-and-a-half guy almost every season. Every yr, there's smaller/quicker, legit PGs in college that don't even average 1.5 steals per game..

Couple that with all his other abilities -- superior outside shooting/FT shooting, solid passing skills, the decent handle, good strength, some rebounding, ability to create off the dribble for himself and others -- I think the man's a factor in the NBA as a 6'5" SG that can also play some point. I dunno who you'd compare him to: Mike Gansey with an even better handle and better court vision? A stronger/more physical version of Jeff Hornacek maybe?? There really isn't a current player in the NBA quite like him..JJ Reddick/Marco Belinelli/Andy Rautins are all similar only this guy's much stronger with better overall skills than these 3 imho..Aaron Afflalo, Marcus Thorton, Jodie Meeks, Rudy Fernandez, Matt Carroll---all of these 6'4"--6'6" types are good shooters/scorers but don't posess the versatility this kid has..If you don't wanna say he's better than these guys, that's fine; he's at least right there in the same conversation though.. I don't wanna get too crazy but he could be a poor man's Steph Curry only bigger/stronger..I see a player that could be a real solid glue guy in the backcourt for us next year and for years to come on the cheap, at least initially.

Last edited:
If we keep the coach, we should get an experienced PG instead of a rookie, this coach knows nothing about coaching young talent as he just wants players to buy into his way of playing. He needs a player thats been around and can excel on this level. Coach relies on his pg to make him look good. Besides, I doubt coach knows how to evaluate young talent because he was the one to send Rondo to Boston when he was drafted by the Suns. Nash was already great when he was with Dallas so his contributions to the Suns isn't really surprising. IMHO, Kevin Johnson is/was the best Point guard for the Suns organisation.

nyk_nyk

All Star
I've come to the conclusion that Walsh should try and trade TD for a bigger SG or a solid backup PG. I think TD is a good defender and all (sans the playoffs) but at his height and non ability to run the point, its useless keeping him around. There are plenty of shooters in the league we can get at the SG position. If he were at least 6'4" I'd be satisfied keeping him but the truth of the matter is you can't give him the PG keys and if u play him at SG you are liable to have a mismatch every time.

We might as well have kept Nate. His defense was just average but at least he looked better running the point and would have certainly made Rondo work on defense.

jpz17

Starter
Look, in a fast offense your most important player in the point guard, and like I said earlier Douglas isn't bad and has gobs of potential. Yet, I agree we need a top tier point guard more than a Carmelo Anthony