The New York Knicks Bucket List

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
Well before the knicks kick the bucket on sunday,we have to go over yet again what we need to do before our team dies again next year:

1.Either downgrade Dantoni to assistant or bring in a new big name coach(Adelman,Van Gundy,Phil Jackson,Mark Jackson,Larry Brown)

2.Make our offense ISO oriented with Amare and Melo then when help comes kick out to open shooters,AKA play inside out,we have 2 of the best post area players in the league and we need to abuse them down low instead of having them create their shots EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION!

3.Bring in a Legit backup PG that is capable of having our offense run just as smoothly as it was when our starting PG was in the game,we need a Kirk Hinrich type PG that plays both ends of the floor equally as well,Johnny Flinn is rumored to be available and wants out of Minny.

4.We need a Center who isnt just a decent-good rebounder and defender,but a guy who finishes well around the rim and wont need many touches throughout the game.(Deandre Jordan,Etan Thomas,Joel Przybilla,Tyson Chandler,Samuel Dalembert,Greg Oden)

5.Bring Amare to a mentor defensive bigman to tutor him about playing defense the right way and hopefully finds him the passion he is lacking on that end.(Bill Laimbeer,Bill Russel,Hakeem The Dream,Charles Oakley)

6.Resign Donnie Walsh,this needs no explanation.

7.Revamp our assistant coaching staff with more NBA tested vets.(Mason,Oakley,Gary Payton,Bruce Bowen,Mutombo)

8.Use the D-league more to let players develop that are just sitting on the bench all day.

9.Bring in a consistent threat off the bench,someone who we know what we are going to get from every night.(Luke Ridnour,Cj Watson,O.j Mayo)

10.Just bring in a new coach,start fresh,have a coach that the players want to play for because of what he is saying and not for the way he wants the offense to be ran,players respect phil jackson for his demeanor and not cause of the Triangle Offense.I really just want Dantoni gone so we can get a fresh start because we are wasting priceless time on getting Dantoni "The perfect team for his style" and coaches shouldnt have excuses for failure,we need a coach that is going to adjust to what ever happens and take responsibility for their mistakes.Every year we waste looking to make this team suitable for Dantoni,is a year added on to Melo and Amares age.And even if we do get him his perfect team somehow,well history shows us that we still will never win a championship.

Just ask the 04-05' suns who were probably the most talented offensive team in NBA history how good they were in the postseason.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Consider The Cba, Its Changes And Its Effects

:agreed: fire everyone except our core players in melo and stat

There are some current players that should be kept with the little wiggle room we have and a transition to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

●As bad as Fields has been, it would be stupid to let him go at his wage, and with such potential. Young, capable, clever and I guarantee that this abismal playoff debut will inspire him. He's too intelligent an individual to not respond positively.

●Walker, too. He's no star, but he's cheap and he produces. With work on his game, I think he can become a valuable RP the likes of a Jared Dudley from Phoenix. Another -$1M contract for the season. Doubt he'll be offered much more by the rest of the league, and at such a low salary, would probably prefer not to relocate.

●Douglas should stay for next season, as his succeeding contract year has a team option. Next year's salary = $1.145M.

●I'll no doubt get net-raped for this, but I think we should re-sign Jefferies to the absolute minimum, $7-8K. 3-4 minutes of defensive production and off court/practice leadership are what we need with such little flexibility on the cap and a, yet again, restructured roster.

●I think the Williams boys should each be offered between $1-2M.

In Shawne's case, I think we should double his current salary of $880,000+ or perhaps slightly less, $1.5M

Shelden to receive an absolute maximum of $1M for 2 years with a team option on the second.

★ With so few assets and $33.5M owed to STAT & Melo next season, we have to swallow the bitter pill that came with the Anthony trade.

-If we re-sign Billups, which I doubt we will, we are basically screwed.

-If we don't re-sign Donnie Walsh, then Dolan and his muppet teeth have failed.......AGAIN.

-It looks like D'Antoni's tenure in the apple teeters with game 4's result. I won't be missing him. But who replaces him? Callipari? **** that.

- I think we'll hit the draft, if the CBA has made any progress, with an approximate projection of $15-20M to spend. Not pretty. Not at all.

If Melo had gone through this season without forcing his way out of Colorado, it would all be far, far different. That is the opinion of the so called 'Melo Hater'. It is also the truth. This series hasn't materialised in to what I consider an equilibrium that made it 100% worthwhile, though I'm still very, very glad that he's on our team. Cuts both ways.

SoCal KnicksFan

Benchwarmer
Crazy⑧s;176636 said:
There are some current players that should be kept with the little wiggle room we have and a transition to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

●As bad as Fields has been, it would be stupid to let him go at his wage, and with such potential. Young, capable, clever and I guarantee that this abismal playoff debut will inspire him. He's too intelligent an individual to not respond positively.

●Walker, too. He's no star, but he's cheap and he produces. With work on his game, I think he can become a valuable RP the likes of a Jared Dudley from Phoenix. Another -$1M contract for the season. Doubt he'll be offered much more by the rest of the league, and at such a low salary, would probably prefer not to relocate.

●Douglas should stay for next season, as his succeeding contract year has a team option. Next year's salary = $1.145M.

●I'll no doubt get net-raped for this, but I think we should re-sign Jefferies to the absolute minimum, $7-8K. 3-4 minutes of defensive production and off court/practice leadership are what we need with such little flexibility on the cap and a, yet again, restructured roster.

●I think the Williams boys should each be offered between $1-2M.

In Shawne's case, I think we should double his current salary of $880,000+ or perhaps slightly less, $1.5M

Shelden to receive an absolute maximum of $1M for 2 years with a team option on the second.

★ With so few assets and $33.5M owed to STAT & Melo next season, we have to swallow the bitter pill that came with the Anthony trade.

-If we re-sign Billups, which I doubt we will, we are basically screwed.

-If we don't re-sign Donnie Walsh, then Dolan and his muppet teeth have failed.......AGAIN.

-It looks like D'Antoni's tenure in the apple teeters with game 4's result. I won't be missing him. But who replaces him? Callipari? **** that.

- I think we'll hit the draft, if the CBA has made any progress, with an approximate projection of $15-20M to spend. Not pretty. Not at all.

If Melo had gone through this season without forcing his way out of Colorado, it would all be far, far different. That is the opinion of the so called 'Melo Hater'. It is also the truth. This series hasn't materialised in to what I consider an equilibrium that made it 100% worthwhile, though I'm still very, very glad that he's on our team. Cuts both ways.

That is the 14.2 million dollar ??? If we do re-sign Billups at 14.2M we are screwed.
I would have no problem buying him out and re-signing him at 5M tops, but at 14.2 no way!!!

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
- if you have been watching G3 on ESPN you must have realized how many coaching mistakes MDA has made, if you got a chance to analyze that game once again listen to JVG talking on rotation decisions, next time our coaching stuff should be listening to Jeff commentating, a lot of feedback that helps improving. :lol:

- Knicks role players are playing fine, but their stars are not playing good enough to win, that's JVG again, pray the Lord to make Dolan fire Pringles and (re)hire Van Gundy (or any other available coach), because this idiot O'Antoni doesn't play the guys that just play better, he plays those that earn big bucks instead.

KBlack25

Starter
Lets just trade Fields+Billups+Turiaf+Rautins for Cp3. F#k it.

Yes.

Honestly, Fields is getting exposed for what he is: The 5th guy on the floor. A good roleplayer. There is NOTHING wrong with that, but that's what he is...the facts are there:

When this guy played with Felton, Chandler, Gallinari and Stoudemire as starters (and we did well) - Fields was not asked to score, he was asked to rebound, take a couple of shots, that's it. He was #5. And he did it well. Now? With Melo, STAT, Douglas/Billups - Fields is that 4th guy, a lot more pressure on him to be the 4th man in a rotation, to have the ball in his hands and make plays. He's best suited as a 5th man, roleplayer type guy.

1. Hire Mike Brown as Defensive Coordinator
2. Beg Denver to let us get Gallo back in exchange for Landry Fields and Swizz Beats

Fields is a 2nd round rookie thats not use to playing this many game, playing with allstars, playing at the Garden, playing in the playoffs, playing for a team known for its revolving door, and playing at this pace will wear anyone down.... looking at Amare and Mello with icepacked knees is evidence of that. Fields 2nd year here should be more composed, I like his IQ... he's just being rushed because the coaches ass is on the line.

I'll keep Douglas, Shawn Williams, Walker and carter for the minimum. The rest of the team can be used to getting a stable (possibly defense)SG,PG. I'll rather draft a Big man simply because the tall young dudes have fresh legs. No need to score. Just coach him up to gaurd the basket. All the FA I see want money we really don't have and there's no guanrantee he we have the endurance as well as the stamina. If wwwe keep the coach this route will probably serve him well....imo.

I like the thought of having Mark Jackson, Cylde and/or Van Gundy for a coaching staff.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
In my opinion we should definitely try to keep Walker due to his transition skills and defensive behavior, this guy just makes a difference on our defensive end and is able to make stops. He has lack of offensive abilities, makes a lot of bad shots and adjustments but would be nice addition to our bench. And last but not least, we can resign him for less, which means he won't really affect our salary cap.

Financial aspects also concern Shawne Williams, he's a very good downtown shooter but comes easily into foul trouble and has lack of rebounding skills which makes him a poor forward, so if we keep him we do it just to save some $$$.
If that was up to me I would let him go and try to rehire Chandler who would be a great support for Anthony.

I wouldn't pick up Billups' option, 14M$ is way too much for a veteran who got injured three times within just two months, his experience is a value for this team, but we could spend that money better.

We have to keep Douglas, this guy has a lot potential to become our starting point guard.

KBlack25

Starter
In my opinion we should definitely try to keep Walker due to his transition skills and defensive behavior, this guy just makes a difference on our defensive end and is able to make stops. He has lack of offensive abilities, makes a lot of bad shots and adjustments but would be nice addition to our bench. And last but not least, we can resign him for less, which means he won't really affect our salary cap.

Financial aspects also concern Shawne Williams, he's a very good downtown shooter but comes easily into foul trouble and has lack of rebounding skills which makes him a poor forward, so if we keep him we do it just to save some $$$.
If that was up to me I would let him go and try to rehire Chandler who would be a great support for Anthony.

I wouldn't pick up Billups' option, 14M$ is way too much for a veteran who got injured three times within just two months, his experience is a value for this team, but we could spend that money better.

We have to keep Douglas, this guy has a lot potential to become our starting point guard.

The Billups thing I don't get - we can't spend the money better...why? BECAUSE WE WON'T HAVE THE MONEY. We are over the cap now, assuming it stays the same or similar in the next CBA, losing Billups $14 million does NOT give us $14 million to sign another player - it gives us significantly less than that - I would estimate off the top of my head MAYBE a couple million to sign another player.

Keeping Billups is the right move, we will be over the cap anyway, and his contract becomes a huge expiring deal of $14 million that can be traded for assets.

The Garden '95

Benchwarmer
The Billups thing I don't get - we can't spend the money better...why? BECAUSE WE WON'T HAVE THE MONEY. We are over the cap now, assuming it stays the same or similar in the next CBA, losing Billups $14 million does NOT give us $14 million to sign another player - it gives us significantly less than that - I would estimate off the top of my head MAYBE a couple million to sign another player.

Keeping Billups is the right move, we will be over the cap anyway, and his contract becomes a huge expiring deal of $14 million that can be traded for assets.

true but i would rather we try to buyout his contract and sign him for less.14mil with his injury list in the short time he has been here is just way to much.

I'd like to see these things happen in the very near future:

1) Hire Adelman or Laimbeer. Preferrably Adleman.
2) Sign Jason Richardson I hoping 5 mill a year will do it. 3-4 years.
3) Draft Hansborough. Played in the Big East I think he'll be better than advertised. Knicks need a high IQ PG.
4) Resign Billups. Hope you can include him in deal for CP3.
5) Target both Dalembert and Jeff Foster. Hopefully both will come kinda cheap.

2011-2012 Knicks

C) Dalembert/Foster/Sheldon
PF) STAT/Turiaf/Sheldon
SF) Melo/Williams/Walker/Fields
SG) Richardson/TD/Fields
PG) Billups/Hansborough/TD

you can probably guess what im going to say lol

FIRE the head coach ??? lol

seriously, fire the head coach please

hes a B coach

we need an A coach.

Rick Adelman perhaps ???

throw the boat at phil jackson perhaps

Jerry Sloan Perhaps ?

just please

fire the coach.

I'd like to see these things happen in the very near future:

1) Hire Adelman or Laimbeer. Preferrably Adleman.
2) Sign Jason Richardson I hoping 5 mill a year will do it. 3-4 years.
3) Draft Hansborough. Played in the Big East I think he'll be better than advertised. Knicks need a high IQ PG.
4) Resign Billups. Hope you can include him in deal for CP3.
5) Target both Dalembert and Jeff Foster. Hopefully both will come kinda cheap.

2011-2012 Knicks

C) Dalembert/Foster/Sheldon
PF) STAT/Turiaf/Sheldon
SF) Melo/Williams/Walker/Fields
SG) Richardson/TD/Fields
PG) Billups/Hansborough/TD
I doubt we will be able to afford J-Rich for 5M plus sign Dalembert+Foster. Dalembert would want at least 4M and i love Foster's hustle and toughness. I really think we should just go with my idea of trading Billups+Turiaf+Fields+Rautins for Cp3 and then sign Reggie Williams. With Cp3, I think with guys like Nazr Mohammed, Jeffries, and Foster would be enough.

Last edited:

Paul1355

All Star
Well before the knicks kick the bucket on sunday,we have to go over yet again what we need to do before our team dies again next year:

1.Either downgrade Dantoni to assistant or bring in a new big name coach(Adelman,Van Gundy,Phil Jackson,Mark Jackson,Larry Brown)

2.Make our offense ISO oriented with Amare and Melo then when help comes kick out to open shooters,AKA play inside out,we have 2 of the best post area players in the league and we need to abuse them down low instead of having them create their shots EVERY SINGLE POSSESSION!

3.Bring in a Legit backup PG that is capable of having our offense run just as smoothly as it was when our starting PG was in the game,we need a Kirk Hinrich type PG that plays both ends of the floor equally as well,Johnny Flinn is rumored to be available and wants out of Minny.

4.We need a Center who isnt just a decent-good rebounder and defender,but a guy who finishes well around the rim and wont need many touches throughout the game.(Deandre Jordan,Etan Thomas,Joel Przybilla,Tyson Chandler,Samuel Dalembert,Greg Oden)

5.Bring Amare to a mentor defensive bigman to tutor him about playing defense the right way and hopefully finds him the passion he is lacking on that end.(Bill Laimbeer,Bill Russel,Hakeem The Dream,Charles Oakley)

6.Resign Donnie Walsh,this needs no explanation.

7.Revamp our assistant coaching staff with more NBA tested vets.(Mason,Oakley,Gary Payton,Bruce Bowen,Mutombo)

8.Use the D-league more to let players develop that are just sitting on the bench all day.

9.Bring in a consistent threat off the bench,someone who we know what we are going to get from every night.(Luke Ridnour,Cj Watson,O.j Mayo)

10.Just bring in a new coach,start fresh,have a coach that the players want to play for because of what he is saying and not for the way he wants the offense to be ran,players respect phil jackson for his demeanor and not cause of the Triangle Offense.I really just want Dantoni gone so we can get a fresh start because we are wasting priceless time on getting Dantoni "The perfect team for his style" and coaches shouldnt have excuses for failure,we need a coach that is going to adjust to what ever happens and take responsibility for their mistakes.Every year we waste looking to make this team suitable for Dantoni,is a year added on to Melo and Amares age.And even if we do get him his perfect team somehow,well history shows us that we still will never win a championship.

Just ask the 04-05' suns who were probably the most talented offensive team in NBA history how good they were in the postseason.
ok I agreed with everything except the stuff I bolded, Ill go in order.

1.) Mike D will always be a head coach because his ego won't let him settle for an assistant role. Also you mentioned Larry Brown as a possible back up, that is a red flag if you remember what happened last time we hired him and honestly he has failed as the coach in Charlotte, Larry Brown is done.

2.) The ISO plays have always been in this system, the only way Mike D can try to score in half court sets is with ISO plays. Melo is the best ISO player in the NBA but the problem is that during the ISO plays no one is setting screens, cutting to the hoop, coming off screens, and the worst part is that Amare and Melo are usually on the same side of the court when they should be completely separated to cause a teams defense to open up. The reason why I disagree with this is because a team can stop any ISO offense. The Celtics are embarrassing the Knicks on defense because the Knicks can't execute on their ISO plays which is the back bone of their half court sets. Everytime Melo or Amare are in an ISO play, everyone else doesn't move and just watches, if the Knicks can have everyone else moving during these playes/ spot up shooters ready for a kick out pass then it can work. But it doesn't work against a good defense.

6.) I love Walsh and I have been a supporter of him since day 1 but he is having a love fest with Mike D. Walsh reminds me of Dolan during the Isiah years in the context of his relationship to Mike D. Everyone sees that Mike D is failing but no moves are being made and Walsh never thinks of the idea that the coach he signed is failing. Walsh is good at making trades but did give up too much for cap space and Melo, but I am happy with those moves. Resigning Jeffries, not a good move. Giving Mike D a four year contract worth 6 million a year, the move that might make me not lose sleep if he is gone.

I hope Walsh is resigned but I know that he won't fire MIke D after this year so if Walsh being fired means Mike D is gone, I'l take it.